Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Shop Now SnS

Format: PaperbackChange

I am a top reviewer because of my vast number of reviews for needlework books written over the last 7 years. I love needlework books, doing embroidering and studying history. My husband is from England which sparked a specific interest in English history (see my profile pic). The Bayeux Tapestry is the most amazing thing in the world: the fact that is has survived a war-torn millennium, the fact that it's not a woven tapestry but a true embroidery (sewn with threaded needles) added to the sheer detail and beauty make this the mecca for embroiderers. I've been to the Victoria & Albert Museum in London and a lot of the embroideries there rival this in richness and history. But if I could only see this in person....

I'm getting so sick of Jan Messent's books. There, I said it. Of my hundreds of needlework books, hers stand out as the most self-indulgent. When you have a beautiful mostly intact tapestry...and you include photos of it...but not in the main part of the book but, instead, make drawings of the panels and then get all hoity-toity with teeny tiny script, well, whom are you trying to impress? You've made this book about as inaccessible as could be. I have a bunch of her other books and this is the latest one before this book:

Celtic, Viking & Anglo-Saxon Embroidery: The Art & Embroidery of Jan Messent

I strongly recommend you NOT get it. A bunch of nonsense.

I honestly hate being so negative but I feel it's important to give honest opinions and not just always 5-star reviews. I don't dispute any of the 5-star reviewers here; in fact, I'm very happy they like this book. But I wish I had read all the other reviews more carefully before I wasted my hard-earned money on this. So many better books out there....
on July 6, 2014
The font makes this book extremely difficult to read.
on November 19, 2012
If you are a fan of William the Conqueror, British History or the Bayeaux Tapestry, you'll likely enjoy this book. It has some great information and is well written.
on September 24, 2014
I would have given this book five stars, but for the medieval font. It is VERY difficult to read, especially if you have older eyes. I'm looking for my lighted magnifying glass. I would love to read it instead of just looking at the pictures.
on December 25, 2013
I have had this on my wishlist for some time and I was given it this christmas by a good frient.

This book looks not only at the story told by the Bayeux Tapestry, but also how it was made, the stitches used and the people who it is thought did the work on it - from the drawing of the cartoons to the embroidery.

If you love history, or are a keen embroiderer who loves to look at historical embroidery, this is a definite must for your library.
on July 8, 2015
I also hated the typeface and although a translation is at the back, it isn't with the illustrations, so you have to go back and forth which is annoying, but additionally I expected to see actual photographs and all this has is drawings - very nice drwaings - but I want to study the real thing.
on June 7, 2014
Worth every penny you spend.A "who dun it" of a fascinating piece of England's cultural and political history.Give it to an embroiderer and watch them light up.
Artemis
on February 28, 2015
In every way a beautiful book.
on December 25, 2014
gorgeous book with tons of detail and history in it! Anyone who is interested in medieval embroidery work should get this book! Its a great reference!
on October 20, 2014