Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Beasties
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on March 21, 2000
I think that William Sleator is a very zestfull writer. William Sleator wrote a book about animals that lived underground. These animals are called " Beasties." The Things I like about this book are, the way he discribed the setting and character's. He used some very disciptive words like, "very precocious" as he discribed a character named Colette. I also liked the way the story was well organized. The author did an excellent job of creating suspense. The only things I did not like about this storywas, the ending and the way the loggers treated the beasties. The book is unreal, but the end was not what I thought it was going to be.The loggers cut down trees where the beasties lived. I would recommend this book to any teen, kid, or adult who likes action packed and suspensful books. This book is for all ages. What I learned is " it's not whats on the outside, it's what's on the inside." In this story the kids became friends with these life-forms, then so can we. HAVE FUN READING!
on March 21, 2000
This book is definately a 4 star. It is excellent. It cleary sends the message that everyone deserves a second chance.In this story Doug and Colette are supposed to meet the Beasties but Doug, who is in the 10th grade, chickens out. Colette, who is in the 5th grade, goes and then the family (Beasties) decides they are going to kill Doug since he didn't show up. Fingers, an important Beastie, saves his life and he returns the favor. In order to be Queen, Fingers needs something, and at the end she might get that one thing. It's a win - win situation. There were a couple of things I didn't like such as the ending. It's a little too predictable. Also they did some things children wouldn't do such as going back in the tunnel. Children also would tell you that they saw something like the Beasties(family). Another thing is I didn't like was that they killed adults for no reason or wounded them. I think everyone should read The Beasties by William Sleator because it is so good. It teaches everyone a life lesson. You should always believe your friends even if they are a little crazy. Like Al he always was talking crazy. But when he told about his uncle getting his legged torn off by the Beasties it was true. William Sleator probably made Al up from Leah that you can read about in Odd Balls probably and it turned out that something's she said were true. So if you like great books and need a book to read then read Beasties by William Sleator.
on March 21, 2000
I thought this book was great! William Sleator discribed each character so that you could see them in your head. For example when he discribed the beasties he said, "Their skin was flushed slightly, a purpilsh color, sharp nose, big eyes, high cheekbones, and almost no chin beneath the protruding teeth." Some beasties did not have all their body parts. The beasties are a family that live in the woods underground Doug and Colette are the kids who find the beasties' tunnle. The beasties can not speak English except for Fingers who is a beastie who also becomes Colette's bestfriend . The beasties are being killed off. I thought the book was very good, but trhe ending was not. It was unrealistic. The book was very well writen, very detailed and easy to follow. It was very suspensful and kept me on the edge of my seat.Iwould only change the end.
on June 2, 2011
As a school teacher, I am always looking for books that will intrigue my young students and lead them to a love of reading. I came across The Beasties one day in a sixth grade classroom. I read through it in a little over an hour. It was wonderfully creepy and gross! I knew that some of my young boys would love to read this book about "monsters" that live in tunnels under the ground and steal body parts from humans. And I was right. What surprised me was that some of my girl students also love The Beasties! William Sleator leaves the reader on the edge of their seat at times and in the end, a lesson is learned. It is a perfect read for fourth and fifth graders who like to be scared! Parents may want to read this book before purchasing it for their children as some people scare easier than others!
on March 21, 2000
The Beasties was a book that had many good and bad things about it. For example some good things were that William Sleator used good detail, description, setting, and imagination. He used great detail when he described the was the Beasties looked. How they had distinct features and at times almost transparent skin. He also described the tunnels that the Beasties lived in with vines coming in and out of the walls and roots twisting around on the ground and ceiling. I think he chose a great setting because to me underground seems like a dark, mysterious, and sometimes even scary place. To me this fits the Beasties perfectly because I think they seem like dark, mysterious, secretive, and at times scary creatures. Some bad things about this book are how at times it was very slow and didn't have much action. For example at the beginning it seemed to take a while for things to get started. This again happened during the middle of the book, except this time it took a while for some good action to start. I also disliked the ending a lot. Beasties was already a very unrealistic book and the event that happens at the end makes the book even more unrealistic. Also the ending occurred to soon. As soon as the big event at the end of the book the bok was ended. I wish the author would have explained what happened to the characters after the big event and told what happened to them in the future. I also would have liked this book a whole lot better if it was a lot more scary and not so unrealistic. I recommend this book to people who like stories that are quickly ended and people who like science fiction books. I also recommend this book to people who don't like scary books. At the beginning of the book the Beasties seem scary as well as the entire book, but once you keep reading the book it becomes less and less scary. I love scary books so this didn't help to interest me anymore in reading and finishing the book. People who don't mind about books being scary or not would not be affected by this. Therefore go on and read the book!
on March 21, 2000
I gave this book four stars. I really enjoyed the book the Beasties, by William Sleator, for several different reasons. One of these reasons was that the book was very descriptive. Doug, a 10th grader who loves the sport of baseball, and Colette, a 4th grader who loves to read, were trespassing through the tunnels of the Beasties when caught by one of the Beasties, Fingers. Sleator has a very creative way of writing the book and coming up with a way to catch everyone's attention. By making the Beasties have so many alien-like, yet human-like qualities you don't know if the Beasties are going to hurt Colette and Doug or just trey to be friends with then. When I first heard of the Beasties I thought that they were some kind of aliens that have come after humans. But the way that Sleator describes the Beasties is a way that is very unusaul and very unexpected. I you love the kinds of books that R.L. Stine writes then you will diffinently like the adventure that William Sleator has created for all of us. This book is not all "goods." The ending of the Beasties is very confusing and unrealistic. Yet the whole book is very fictional and unrealistic the ending is even more unrealistis then the book itself.If you are the type of readers that really gets into books and wants a good ending then this is not a good book for you. When you begin to read this book it takes a while for you to get into. I would recommend this book to any child or adult. If you like science fiction then this book is for you. But like I said if you need a good ending to complete a book then this book is not for you. I enjoyed the creativity that William Sleator has in making the Beastiescome out and catch your attention. i also thimk that this book sent out a good messageaboutn why to save the forests. So when you go to the next book store check out the Beatsties by William Sleator amd enjoy the book that I enjoyed as well.
on March 21, 2000
I read Beasties and I think that it is a good book. I liked how the author, William Sleator was specific in how he described the charactersin the book.The best part in the book for me was when Doug and Collette found out the Beasties wearen't that bad and that they wearn't as scary as doug's friend had said they were. As I was reading the book, there were parts were I just coulden'tput the book down because it was so intereating. Then there were some parts were I diden't find interesting. The ending of the Beasties was not very good and did not keep my attention. This is because that at the end I was led off-track and the ending would have been better if William Sleator had stuck to the main topic. Since the ending was so unexpected, I was very surprised. I had my own idea of how it should end and was disappointed when it ended differently. By reading this book, I learned that it is always a good idea to make your own decisions and not always believe what your friends tell you. Even though friends have an opinion, you need to find out the facts for yourself and make your own decisions. I would recommend this book to kids my age. The book was well written, easy to read and understand, but was a little bit hard to stay on track with every page. This book is very good for someone who likes excitement and loves suspense. Try to read this with an open mind and don't try to figure out the ending, let William Sleator do that for you!
on November 2, 2015
Excellent book! I haven't read it again sense childhood. I bought it recently just so I could just that. I still remember the story perfectly I have never read anything like it. I highly recommend this book.
on April 11, 2005
I found this one in the local library where I live. All I can say is thank god I did not buy this at some bookstore! When I was reading the description on the back, it sounded like a good, scary, nasty horror book---just what I like. But no. Just like a lot of horror books, whose authors I won't name---the actual story is waaaaaaaaaay different than the cover or description makes you think. This book turned out to be quite gory at some times, but the plot was one of those look-how-humans-are-ruining-the-world-guilt books. I didn't want a moral, I wanted a monster horror book--which i thought it was in the first place. The ending was bitter sweet to me, but that couldn't save the book much in my opinion. One postive thing i could say is--there was some great detail in the beasties themselves and their homes, and the few gory parts scattered around. Avoid if you want a typical monster horror story. If you don't like that kinda thing, I say, go ahead and rent it out of the library or a discount book store and save your money.
on March 21, 2000
William Sleator has really overdone it this time with The Beasties. Sleator has written many good books, at least that's what I have heard. I never liked science fiction books myself but this one I liked. Sleator takes you through adventure, mystery, and suspense all at the same time. It's the kind of book that you cannot put down. The Beasties also has some bad sides to it too. Their are some things you may not understand but overall Ii think that it is a great book. I would reccomend Sleators book The Beasties to anyone who likes to read science fiction books or to anyone who doesnt like science fiction this would be a great book for you to read. And with this I hope you will read this book and like it as much as Ii did.