5.0 out of 5 stars THE Diet Book for me!
Published on May 15, 2007 by B. BESER

I first learned about this book a few months ago on a weight loss message board, then later, at a WW meeting, a member who had been losing consistently shared how following the tips in this book totally made a difference to her success. After hearing that I had to read it.

Published on November 7, 2009 by B. Grandon

5.0 out of 5 stars THE Diet Book for me!, May 15, 2007
B. BESER (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
Six to eight years ago, I stopped spending money on diet related products. Because nothing has worked for me. Maybe initially they seemed they were working, but it was just temporarily. I saw one diet book, while I was just browsing around on amazon, "you on a diet", I thought I might wanna try that, thinking like "who knows maybe this is the thing for me", so I bought it. Even though I spent lots of money on diet products, as a book, "you on a diet" was the first book for me on dieting. And, in couple of months I purchased some other diet books, hoping one would include the missing ingredient on those.

This book,Beck Diet Solution was just released, and was at the best sellers list. I read the description. It sounded very promising, but since, at that moment I already had couple of diet books which none of them really fit in to my problem, I was skeptical. For two weeks, everyday I read the reviews, trying to see if some of the reviews was gonna convince me. I finally got it, I am so glad I did. Because that was the kind of help I was looking for.It is tryin to solve my physchological problems about eating and it is triying to re-program my brain about food.

I knew myself, I can never count calories, I can never follow a menu plan written by some other people, I can never count my steps, I can never count carbohydrates, etc...etc... My diet should be without all these stuff. So that's why this is the book for me.

She, the author asks you to make your eating plan, or if you want you can use any diet that already is out there. For me, I created my own eating plan.

Then, she just teaches you some skills which is the missing skills in people who struggle with weight and skills which all the thin people has. And these skills/behaviors are not difficult to adopt. All you need to do is just practice, practice and practice... until they are your habits. Everyday, for fourty two days, you keep learning one skill at a time, until you complete all of them in that given order. You may take your time if you need, as she suggests. For example I am in my 13th day, but it has been already 23 days since I had started. Some examples of the skills are, first day you write down the reasons you wanna get thin; third day, you learn and practice sitting down whenever you eat; fifth day, you start to practice to eat slowly, and so on. At the end of the program, you have all the equipment to think like a thin person, and to be a thin person. So far I have lost 6 pounds, and I feel like I will be able to follow my plan for a long time. She gives you that confidence. She sounds very sincere about the advice she gives. And she just takes you step by step through the journey and to the very end of the journey. With other diet books, I felt like I am just left somewhere with the tons of information I did not know what to do with, or maybe they just dictate you what to do, or sometimes have fun with your eating habits, and you feel insulted and hopeless. But in this book, BDS, I felt some love and caring about the people, she sounds like she truly wants you to lose weight.

By the way, I never write a review even though I enjoy reading them. That's how happy I am, it made me write one:) I hope this review is helpful for the people who cannot decide whether to buy it or not.

3.0 out of 5 stars Much obvious to diet vets, but some practical in depth help too, November 7, 2009

I will say, if you have been watching your weight for any length of time, or read women's magazines, or belonged to any formal diet program, much of the content will be very familiar ground to you. But even a veteran weight watcher like me will probably find at least one little tip that will be useful.

It is not a diet per se, but a way at digging into the underlying practices and thoughts that lead to overeating. You could follow any of a number of regimes and use this as extra guidance. And the thoughts always precede the behavior, even if the thought is "I am now going into a trance so I can devour all this food and pretend like it was out of my control".

The author's advice is based on cognitive therapy and research comparing behavior and thoughts of overweight and slender people.

It helps in learning to recognize and change destructive thought patterns that lead to poor eating, overeating and bad lifestyle choices.

The practical tips in learning HOW to notice these thoughts, and in using notecards to replace those thoughts, is useful.

What I especially appreciated was the fact that the information is garnered from real people.

The two nuggets that most benefited me was 1) the finding that chronically overweight consistently have a sense of unfairness (that they can't eat whatever they want), and destructive thought patterns of self pity, "why me?", and black and white thinking ("I ate one cookie I might as well eat 20"; "I can't be a size 0, so I may as well stay fat"..etc), and 2) that 'craving tolerance' is a muscle that grows stronger with use. That was helpful and encouraging, and I think very true. You won't always feel out of control or like it's hopeless to try, if you hang in there.

The realization that the 'unfairness' thought is a real stumbling block to lasting weight loss was a real 'aha' for me, because I realized I frequently entertained the thought ''why me''!? regarding a very slow and thrifty metabolism. So just for that reason alone, it was worth it, because when I start that thought process now I know catch it in time before it can sabotage my efforts at moderation.

One thing I did NOT like was the constant use of the word 'diet' and 'dieter'. After all, if it's a lifestyle change, it is not a temporary 'diet'. Using this word repeatedly flies in the face of the author's central theme, in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Guide for Motivated Dieters who want to make lasting changes, April 15, 2007
I am a medical student and have a bachelor's degree in psychology. It is widely known in both medicine and psychology that Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) is the most successful type of therapy intervention, which is why I decided to give this book a try to help myself with dieting.

Much has been made about the reasons people eat. I've heard obese people on TV say, "Food was my best friend," or "I ate to fill a void." This book does not focus on the emotionally-based underlying reasons for eating that may plague a minority of overweight people, but rather the more mundane reasons that most overweight people have for overeating - boredom, fear of hunger, cravings, etc.

The book provides very useful ways of countering overeating do to various causes. Dr. Beck asks the reader to change both sabotaging thoughts (the cognitive portion) and sabotaging behaviors, such as eating quickly and eating standing up (the behavioral portion).

The book provides a day to day guide with predetermined goals and homework assignments. You must be motivated and very willing to submit to following someone else's advice. In addition, as the other reviewers have pointed out, the book does not give you specific advice for what to eat or to avoid. You must pick a separate diet to follow.

I am about half way through the book and I feel that it has definitely helped me to control my overeating. I tend to eat out of boredom in the evening. I lacked the willpower to deny myself the snacks that I knew I didn't need. Now, I look at my advantage card (which is a list of reasons I want to lose weight) whenever I feel like snacking in the evening. The book also made me realize that I ate something right before I went to bed because I was afraid that I might be hungry later. I used this "fear of hunger" as an excuse for eating when I wasn't actually hungry. As the author points out, food is almost always around, so it hardly ever makes sense to eat just to avoid getting hungry. The author really does a great job of examining the reasons why most people overeat and gives solutions for how to overcome those sabotaging thoughts by countering them with more rational, helpful thoughts.

I had been trying unsuccessfully to diet prior to starting this book. Now, since I got it 7 days ago, I have lost 2 pounds. I am recommending this book to my family and friends, and in the future I will recommend it to my patients.

5.0 out of 5 stars An extraordinarily helpful book, May 6, 2007
After 30 years of yo-yo dieting, laxative and diet pill addiction, and bulimia, I lost 50 pounds in 1999 and have kept them off (along with an additional 10) ever since.

This book contains the key ideas that enabled me to keep the weight off after so many unsuccessful previous attempts.

1. You have to accept that you will need to make permanent and significant changes in your eating habits. You can't "diet" and then go back to your old way of eating.

2. There are very few "naturally thin" people, especially over the age of 35 or 40. People who didn't know me 10 years ago think I'm "naturally thin" but, in reality, I am vigilant in restraining my eating and exercising vigorously.

3. Eating smaller, healthier portions and resisting snack food and fast food really DOES become easier over time. Once you establish habits of avoiding mindless and/or emotional eating, weight maintenance becomes almost second nature. In addition, if you do put on a few pounds, you will have the confidence that you can easily get them off by refocusing on those behaviors.

4. Losing weight is absolutely worth all the effort. Beck lists 27 advantages to losing weight ... and I have experienced every one of them.

Although I didn't have this book to help me lose weight or maintain my weight loss, reading it has helped me to put into concrete terms the mindset that I have developed during these last eight years. People often ask me what the "secret" to weight control is ... and I think this book has really defined it. It's not the diet ... it's the thoughts and habits that you must establish and maintain for the rest of your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Weight Loss Tool, August 5, 2007
I have The Beck Diet Solution, the book, which is excellent, but still purchased the audio book, to listen to while driving and doing other activities.

The Beck Diet Solution is great because it explains that proper eating is skill that can be learned, just as any other skill, like skating, knitting, or tying your shoes! It dispels the mystery behind proper eating and weight control ~ why it seems that some people are successful and some are not. It then proceeds to teach you the skill of successful dieting and weight control ~ and also teaches that to truly learn the skill, you must practice it. And as you use it, you will see success ~ I have lost 20 lbs. so far, and it has been consistent. More importantly, it also teaches you how to handle the inconsistencies, which are bound to occur, and still keep you focused on your goal.

Specifically, in regards to the audio book, the reading is clear, and the quality is excellent.

After I purchased the book, I then purchased a copy for my sister as a gift. I so strongly recommend this plan that I would recommend buying this book or audio book first before starting any eating plan, as this gives you the road map to the the Land of the Thin!

~:)

5.0 out of 5 stars Groundbreaking book for people who want to lose weight, April 14, 2007
I have read many dieting and weight loss self-help books and I have never found a book that has made this much of an impact on my eating habits. This book is helpful because it gives you all of the TOOLS you need to be successful to lose weight. In the book, Dr. Beck gives you specific tasks to do. You read a small chapter each day for 6 weeks and it gives you a new lesson or task. If you can promise yourself to commit 20 minutes per day to your dieting and do EVERY step that she asks you to do, then you can not help but lose weight. This book works with any diet you choose because it's more about changing the way you think about eating. We all have so many sabotaging thoughts that prevent us from being successful in losing weight. Mine were "oh, this cookie doesn't really count - it's just a small treat" or "I'm really stressed/anxious/tired and I just need to eat this" or "It's a birthday/wedding/party and so it's okay to eat more". All of these thoughts are what have made me overweight. Now I have specific techniques to counter these thoughts and I will use them for the rest of my life. My hope is that as I use the techniques, those excuses will just go away all together. I am very happy to say that in the past 3 weeks, I have dropped 8 lbs. I feel wonderful and I'm so excited for the ways that I have re-trained my thinking about food. If you want to lose weight and can commit to doing the tasks set forth in this book, get it today. This is one of the best gifts you can give yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars This works, June 29, 2007
I have found this book to be very helpful. I have been obese since childhood and have had no success at weight loss. Its been 8 weeks since I started reading the book and I have, so far, lost 28 pounds. (UPDATE: 28 weeks, 75 lbs lost.) What's amazing is the fact that it has been easy and pretty much painless.

Here's the catch. For this to work, you must be willing to change the way you think, to admit that you might have flawed thoughts that need to be addressed. I was ready to swallow my pride, admit that it was possible that my thinking wasn't always as crystal clear as I believed, and to give this approach an honest effort. I'm glad I did.

Cognitive Therapy involves homework, and this book requires you to do some exercises every day. I doubt you can have success without doing the exercises. This book talks nothing about what diet is best. Its all about how to think about eating...and exercise as well.

I think Dr. Beck is really on to something here. I heartily recommend this to anyone who wants results. Personally, I have every confidence that I will continue to lose weight (I have a long way to go) over the next year. And that I will keep the weight off forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved my life!, June 10, 2007
I read an article about this book in Oprah's magazine while I was away on a trip. I was interested to see that there could be a plan to change your behavior surrounding food. I was about 45 lbs overweight, and had been struggling to lose it since I turned 40. Weight watchers, South Beach, E-diet, Weigh Down Workshop and Atkins were some of the many ways I tried to lose weight. Each time I would lose weight only to gain it all back again. Through Dr. Beck and her behavior modification techniques I have lost 16 lbs in 8 weeks and I am still going strong. I learned how my thoughts sabotage my efforts and keep me from learning how to eat healthy. The book is set out in a day by day format which makes it very easy to keep going for the full six weeks of the program. If you do EVERYTHING that she tells you to do you will be amazed at how easily the weight comes off. As she says there is no magic diet. You must eat less calores and exercise to lose weight. This books help you to learn how to do it successfully.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing., April 23, 2007
This book has been such a great experience for me. I'm in week four right now, and have lost about 15 pounds - 10 more to go. More importantly, I know I'll be able to keep it off, because my entire attitude towards food has changed. I actually enjoy my food more now, even though I eat substantially less. I went out to eat last night with friends at a Mexican restaurant, always my downfall, and I am proud and feel good about the fact that I didn't eat any of the queso and chips, and I stopped eating when I was full, though there was still a lot of food left on my plate. I was able to enjoy eating out without feeling uncomfortably stuffed and vaguely guilty afterwards - amazing! This book is not a diet - this book introduces you to a new way of life, which, though you may be resistant at first, you will ultimately find much more satisfying and enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read, re-read and re-read again, April 11, 2007
I ordered this book from Amazon, got it earlier than the April 1st publication date and immediately started to read it all the way through. As a veteran of Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Trevose Behavior Modification, Atkins, South Beach, Cabbage diet et al, I know that there are no magic notions about what to eat. What Judy Beck shows so brilliantly is that the key is learning how to talk to yourself. On other diets or programs, I was always saying "no" to myself - and that was doomed to failure since, eventually, I ended up saying "yes" to the wrong foods; with "The Beck Diet Solution" I am learning useful, targeted ways to respond to my urges to eat the wrong things, at the wrong times, or too much food. In addition, I have learned a new mantra: "It [everything you put into your mouth] matters" and I can refer back to my cards on a daily basis for reminders of why it matters.

A few reviewers have complained that some previous reviewers have raved that the book has already made a permanent difference in their lives. I agree that such opinions are premature. However, the book does provide a truly useful road map, and this is one map that I intend to read, re-read and re-read again until the pages are well-used and I reach and maintain my goal weight.

The Beck Diet Solution: Train Your Brain to Think Like a Thin Person
The Beck Diet Solution: Train Your Brain to Think Like a Thin Person by Judith S. Beck (Hardcover - March 20, 2007)
$24.95 $9.98