5.0 out of 5 stars Another belter from Allan!
Published on May 2, 2012 by wistfulskimmie - Wistfulskimmi...

2.0 out of 5 stars it fades in the middle
The tale has a great set-up and I got invested in the boy, Tim. Yet, midway, the emphasis shifts to the quasi-stepfather with very little character development and an unrealistic response to the problem.
Published 1 month ago by MM

5.0 out of 5 stars Another belter from Allan!, May 2, 2012
This review is from: The Becoming - a novella (Kindle Edition)
This is the story of a mine in Tonopah, Pennsylvania. Closed in 1925 when a miner went missing amid stories of the mine being haunted and inhabited by strange creatures, it has lain dormant and sealed for almost 90 years - until now. Tim McKenna plays hookey from school to explore the mine after learning about it in class. Then he disappears. For more than 24 hours he is missing, and then suddenly he turns up in bed as if nothing had happened. Somehow he is different though, and now the lives of his family will change forever....

I must admit I am slightly biased about this author's work, having read most of his work. I have not read a bad book from him yet and look forward to each new release with excitement. This novella did not disappoint. It was short but packed to the gills. The idea of some sort of alien entity lying dormant in a mine and being reawakened by a curious schoolboy was different and I was burning up my Kindle to find out how it ended. As usual the author had done his research and the first chapter set in the mine was extremely claustrophobic and I had more than a few shivers up my spine! The ending was great and left me thinking - what if? I recommend this as a fast paced quick read with more than it's fair share of back of the neck chills.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic piece of fiction, October 22, 2012
This review is from: The Becoming - a novella (Kindle Edition)
I honestly didn't know what I was getting into when I started this one. I bought it on a whim without even reading the description, as I'd heard good things about Leverone. What I got was intensity. The first part had me pulled in so strongly I didn't realize until I reached the end how bad I needed to use the restroom. I simply couldn't put it down. Nothing existed but Karl and the mine. Beautifully, vividly written. I had no idea where this could possibly lead, and then I met Tim. What started off as amazing just got better and better. I couldn't help feeling little twinkles of early Stephen King coupled with early Dean Koontz, and I mean that in the best possible way. It is neither King nor Koontz, but its own thing, and, in my opinion, just as good as either King or Koontz in their early days. If you like horror, character, a very interesting story and solid, vivid writing, get this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scary combination of genres, May 8, 2012
A. E. Drury "Ed Drury" (Portland, OR, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Becoming - a novella (Kindle Edition)
This novella is pretty much equal parts historical fiction, ghost story and sci/fi thriller. It starts off in an early 20th century coal mining town in Central PA. I can only imagine what life as a coal miner in that time period was like, but that topic alone is chilling enough. I do know what it's like to grow up in a small town and hear ghost stories about different locations within the town. How the stories are repeated and gain credibility in the re-telling. Allan does a fantastic job of developing the setting for this story as it flashes to the present day. A kid who is new in town, two working parents, few friends and a naturally curious mind. Obviously he is headed for trouble. Adding to the family dynamic, the relationship between his mother's new partner and him has not yet gone much beyond simple tolerance for each other.

The twists and turns in this suspenseful little thriller are like the description of the old coal mine. Winding passages, some of which are long abandoned and have scary stories associated with them. It's a compelling read which is original, thought provoking, and scary. Couldn't put it down before finishing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fun Creature-Feature Read, June 5, 2013
This review is from: The Becoming - a novella (Kindle Edition)
I had a ton of fun with this one. The story has all the trappings of a 1950s monster movie, complete with the critique of industrial achievement. Only instead of nuclear paranoia, we get a folksy dose of miner's lore.

Buy this because it's a quick, satisfying horror read that makes good use of the novella format.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Scary Story!, April 11, 2013
This review is from: The Becoming - a novella (Kindle Edition)
Allan Leverone has become one of my favorite authors. I am slowly trying to read all of his work since falling head-over-heels for his book, The Lonely Mile. As of right now, I am reading his Paskagankee series, but I had his novella, The Becoming on my kindle and devoured it in one sitting.

Although short, this book does not disappoint. I was sitting on the edge of my seat by the first chapter, experiencing the horror that unfolded page after page, biting my nails and a bundle of nerves! It's a mixture of sci-fi, horror, with historical background and some ghost stories thrown in. It's a perfect book to curl up with in front of a roaring fire with a thunder storm raging outside. Just make sure to keep a flashlight handy and a blanket to hide under when you hear noises that may not be...natural.

I have yet to complete all of Leverone's books, but I feel safe in saying that the man can't write a bad story. The Becoming reminds me of when horror books and movies were scary - when what you didn't see was what kept you up at night. The author did a fantastic job!

4.0 out of 5 stars Claustrophobic, October 20, 2012
This review is from: The Becoming - a novella (Kindle Edition)
Allan Leverone closes us in on all sides in his novella, The Becoming, providing enough detail to discomfit us yet omitting even more in order to truly frighten us. The setup is familiar to anyone who has watched such horror/sci-fi movies as Alien and The Thing: an ancient and very deadly evil in a remote, claustrophobic location (in this case, an abandoned coal mine in Tonopah, Pennsylvania) is awakened by human curiosity. That's as much as I'm able to disclose without spoiling the story; not that surprising twists are abundant -- indeed, the real enjoyment of this story lies in its depiction of creeping claustrophobia and gathering helplessness, especially in its opening section set almost a century ago. It's a good story, largely well told in plain, understated language (I'm beginning to sound like a broken record, but one more editing pass wouldn't have gone amiss), and I'd recommend it to horror fans looking for a fairly quick, creepy and occasionally horrifying read.

5.0 out of 5 stars I WANT A SEQUAL!, July 13, 2012
This review is from: The Becoming - a novella (Kindle Edition)
Read this story recently... and it was fantastic... but got to the end, [which came waaaaay too soon], and that was that. Now don't get me wrong, this was, as I've already stated, a fantastic story, but it was a bit too short for me, but it was one of those books that had me practically reading it non-stop from front-to-back... personally, I loved. Get a copy for yourself, and read it foryourself... maybe you won't like it as much as I did, but then again, maybe you will.

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting tale, July 11, 2012
This review is from: The Becoming - a novella (Kindle Edition)
This tale starts off nearly a hundred years in the past and then shoots to modern times. A hundred years ago a coal miner simply disappeared. The mine was closed up after that upon the government discovering that safety rules did not really exist and several miners have gone missing. For the past 90 years no one has set foot in it...until now.

Enter Tim McKenna, a 12 year old who wants to explore the forbidden mine. He was bored since moving to this town and with few friends he needed some excitement. At school one of the teachers talks about the mine and that gets his heart pounding. But none of his new friends want to go. They are locals, they had heard the whispers about the mine--whispers about creatures or ghosts. And although no one really believes it, everyone avoids the mine.

Tim is determined. He fakes being sick and kicks off from school. He has his bag packed with essentials he thinks he needs and off he goes.

What fate awaits him? It may not be what you think.

This is an interesting and fast paced book. I actually wanted it to be longer, but I feel the author ended it where it needed to end. The writing is smooth to read and the story never goes off track or dwells too long in the back story. It is a novella, after all. And it is a good real.

4 out of 5 stars from me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed this one and will read more Leverone., June 13, 2012
This review is from: The Becoming - a novella (Kindle Edition)
Old school horror novella about an ancient evil that dwells inside an old abandoned mine and what happens when it is let loose. Can't say much more without giving away the plot other than to say that it was well written, with good characters and an interesting story arc. Might have been better if it was longer and developed more slowly. After reading this one, I added a couple more of Mr. Leverone's books to my wish list.

Between 3 1/2 and 4 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read!, June 4, 2012
This review is from: The Becoming - a novella (Kindle Edition)
The Becoming may just be a novella, but it has the glory of a full on novel. It's descriptive, captivating, and eerie. Set years before the main story, the Tonopah Coal Mine has an incident that causes the owners to close it off. Decades later a young boy named Tim McKenna hears about the incident and decides to investigate while playing hooky from school. From there a series of events lands his family in deep trouble.

Dark, thrilling, and with no spaces where I found myself getting bored: The Becoming is a fantastic novella worth the read. Anyone who passes on this piece of work is seriously missing out.

The Becoming - a novella