Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on April 22, 2010
I expected this book to be hilarious, and it is. (I'm not even going to qualify that by adding "...if you're a fan of Sarah's comedy." It's just funny. Period.) What I didn't expect were the sensitivity and sincerity that Sarah has brought to both the writing of the book and to its glimpses behind the scenes into her personal life and the thoughtfulness behind the humor.

The section in which Sarah's editor earnestly tries to explain to Sarah, a professional comedian, what's "really" funny (and why) is worth the price of admission all on its own.

I think there are some things that many people believe deep down they could also do just as well as the professionals, if only they had the time, the inclination, etc. I suspect that professional comedy is one of those things. So what I really appreciated about this book is the way Sarah explores comedy as a craft that is diligently developed and honed over time. You might not like her jokes, but you have to respect her commitment to the work that goes into them.

As a person who appreciates both Sarah's humor and the dedication of craftsmen in all walks of life, this book just worked for me on every level. I highly recommend it.
44 comments|145 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 21, 2010
Sarah Silverman's approach to comedy is not like the approach of many comedians working today. Sarah approaches all taboo topics with the same enthusiasm, whether it be the usage of racist lingo, sex, or the Holocaust. This "nothing is sacred" approach to comedy defines Silverman's attitudes and, philosophically speaking, puts these taboo topics into perspective. In Silverman's memoir, we discover where she acquired these traits. In talking about her parents, it's very obvious that her adoration for her father is without doubt and that much of her humor comes from him. In a sub-chapter titled "The Only Reason I'm Not Completely Retarded," Silverman discusses her admiration for her mother. The book follows Silverman through her childhood, adolescence, and career, with much emphasis on family. Throughout, Silverman subjects the reader to relentless comedy that some would consider vulgar, racy, and inappropriate. But, that's just Silverman's charm - genius. Including a Foreward written by herself an an Afterword written by God, I wholeheartedly believe that this book is the comedic masterpiece of the literary world of 2010.
on May 19, 2010
I am lazy, so this audiobook was perfect for me. I love everything Sarah Silverman does, but I hate reading. She is so brilliant that I probably would have read an actual book if this audiobook didn't exist. I was also glad that it was read by her because half of the fun is her delivery.
on February 17, 2011
Despite being entitled "The Bedwetter" this book doesn't flow very well, but that's more than offset by the often hilarious content. There are a lot of great stories here and Sarah tells them well. It's clear that it's her talking too, not a ghost writer; it's refreshingly told in her own voice.

The childhood stories are probably the best, though some of her interactions with other comedians are amusing, too. The "flow" problem comes from her skipping around, age-wise; the childhood section seems to jump from Sarah at 8, to Sarah to 4, to 15 to 11, and this repeats in her "up and coming comedian" phase. Is it 1995, 1989, 2002? Only when she refers to her tv show can you immediately pin down the exact era without wondering for a few paragraphs, which is a bit disconcerting.

Also, I think she spends a wee bit too much time on the "controversies" in her career, explaining them and talking about the repercussions. It's a bit of a pisser to have to read about people who DON'T like her--in her own book!

I'd probably give The Bedwetter 3.5 stars if Amazon provided the granularity to do so, but I gave Sarah the benefit of the doubt since I did laugh out loud often while reading it on the bus. I whizzed through this book in two days so I was clearly absorbed in it, but like any good piss, it started strong and kind of petered out at the end. Naturally a lot Depends on whether you like Sarah. If you do, urine for a treat.
on October 7, 2010
I must admit that I did not know much of Silverman's comedy work, but somehow I got redirected into this page, read the passage inserted, and I thought (hoped) that the whole book would be as funny. No way. This thing got boooring quite fast. Before midway thru the book, I was already sorry I bought it.
I have absolutely no problem with foul language or with crude jokes, so that was not the issue. The issue is, they were just not funny.
So, if this book was not intended to be funny, but rather to be an inspirational (or at least, interesting) telling of her life, then it also failed at that. Her life story is just not that interesting to begin with.
So what does the author do in her attempt to be funny and/or interesting to fill this whole book? She will tell you, every chance she gets, that she is jewish. Again, nothing wrong with it, but, where is the humor in that?
I regret buying this book, and regret the time spent reading it.
on March 15, 2013
I would not recommend this to book to anyone, unless you are a Sarah Silverman fan and then I would definitely not recommend it. I bought this book for my kindle as one of the "daily deals" for $1.99, and I want my 2 bucks back. I like Sarah, I enjoyed her show, I have no problem with her outrageous (to some offensive) comedy ~ but this book was ridiculous. Obviously her heart was not in writing it, I mean how many pages were filled with her Dad's voicemail recordings? How many email transcripts did she put in there? They were obviously fillers. It just seemed to me like she REALLY struggled to fill the pages and that to me was very obvious and tiresome.
on August 23, 2014
It starts off as funny as a David Sadaris book but devolves into nothing more than "shock jock" low brow attempt at humor. I feel this lady if=s capable of being so much more than a dirty mouthed exibitionists with a lack of sustainable creativity.
As she claims a friend's advise of "if you do pot everyday, it loses its specialness" she might think the same way about referrences to apendanges and orifices of the body.
I feel for her as she seems to struggle for something!
on May 29, 2010
I am a big fan of Sarah Silverman, let me say this first. I was really looking forward to this book. I am about halfway through it so I don't know if I can judge the whole book already but so far it's really boring. I was expecting it to be really funny. I enjoy watching the interviews of Sarah Silverman discussing this book other than actually reading it. The whole book timeline is jumbled up, she will be talking about what a sex addict she was in her 20's and on the same page skip to a story about when she was still in high school and on the same page talk about when she was 7 years old. It's a bunch of jumbled stories. Boring stories. I can now see why Sarah Silverman was, and still is, depressed about her own life. This book would be so awesome if it was a story about her life instead of little snip-its of events that happened here and there. I am very frustrated at how this book has no organization, it makes you forget what happened on the previous pages.
44 comments|30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 18, 2014
The first third of the book was interesting. Learning about her fear of bedwetting as an adolescent and struggling with depression was informative. It provided an insight to her character and she came off as quite sympathetic. She is a very attractive woman but doesn't appear to take herself so seriously. The problem is she doesn't seem to take anything else very seriously either, like writing this book. She starts off writing a biography and then changes course and spends the next half of her book talking about her television show and the writers she works with. She teases us by stating she had a lot of sex for two years in college but doesn't give any details about the relationship. She also says she slept with comics too but there aren't any details on that either. If she didn't want to talk about the sex it would have been nice to hear what the attraction was. She doesn't mention dating Jimmy Kimmel. She mentions controversial appearances on television and then reprints angry letters and reviews. Just to fill up space presumably. She has worked on some movies with big stars but doesn't mention much on that either. I came away with the feeling that she is uncomfortable talking about anything of substance, except for the bedwetting because she has already gone to therapy for that issue. I hope she writes and more in depth detailed biography. This one makes here seem scatterbrained and boring.
on September 22, 2014
Don't read Bedwetter in bed or you may do just that. But you can blot it up with the second half of the book. It does slow to a crawl. But If you know the parents of a kid who has that problem, get them this book to spare the kid the agony that Sarah went through. Although she did become a famous comic with her own book, TV show and an Emmy and all. Well, I still think it's a good idea to avoid what she went through. There are easier ways to suffer for your art. I think. So if you long to know how she lost her virginity on stage and off, this book is for you. Make it a treat.