Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

on February 11, 2012
Honey is actually one of the healthiest foods you can eat, but not just any honey - honey that is made by bees in your local area is by far the best. That's why I have been looking into keeping my own bees and the reason for reading this book. Inside I was amazed to find detailed information about what actually goes on inside the hive and the role of each type of bee. Also, found some great information on hive placement and how to control the flight path (I never knew you could do this) so that your neighbors aren't bothered by your bees. This book is great for any homeowner thinking of keeping bees.
on September 26, 2012
This book is a compact, easy-read introduction with a positive and cheerful attitude. It is extensive enough to give me an idea of beekeeping, yet short enough to be read in an afternoon. An illustration might clarify the message in some of the chapters but still, the lovely thing about this book is its compactness and clear, joyful language. You can read up on something new and still want to do it when you are done. Highly recommended!
on April 11, 2012
I enjoyed this book and it was a good intro to bees and beekeeping, and the writing style is casual and fun.

If you are completely new to the hobby then this is a good place to start, especially considering the price (so if you decide it's not for you, then you are only out a few bucks).

That being said, it seems that for such a short book, it should be pretty easy to proof-read it at least once or twice and correct the typos. Even one of the chapter titles has a typo! ("10 - What Diseases and Pest Can Harm My Bees?"). In addition to the typos, Chapter 4 is in a completely different font than the rest of the book.

Anyway, a 5-star book with the typos and formatting problems fixed. Maybe the author can update it?
22 comments13 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 24, 2012
I have been a beekeeper for many years and this is one of the best accounts I have read of what actually goes on in the beehive. Beekeeping can sound scary for beginners and anyone who is thinking of keeping bees should find out as much as they can about the complex world of the honey bee. Frank Randall's book explains all the basics in language that anyone can understand and he goes into all the necessary detail about the lifecycle of the honeybee and the workings of the hive. Anyone who keeps bees will tell you that beekeeping is a constant learning process and Frank's book is a great place to start.
on February 13, 2012
I'm interested in gardens, flowers and so on. I want to attract more bees so have been looking into bee-attracting plants. A friend of mine suggested I could also keep a hive, so I got this book.

I'm glad I did - it not only kept my attention on an interest level (what goes on inside the hive, types of bee, etc), it also gave me things to think about that I hadn't even considered - flight paths and bee diseases, for example.

This is a good primer for anyone wishing to start out in the bee-keeping field.
on September 22, 2012
Good basic book for first introduction to apiculture. Not a "how to" book but very easy and quick read before delving into a lengthy text.
on March 1, 2012
For at least 10,000 years, people have been raising bees for honey, despite the risk of bee bites.

Although the subject may not appeal to lots of people, and it's certainly not for people in cities or the suburbs, it's not as hard as it may seem. This guides explains the equipment you need to get started. It appears to be very complete.

It explains the basic of bees, including their typical life cycles. It also goes into the benefit of keeping bees to help pollinate flowers and vegetables.

It also goes into the various types of bees you can consider keeping, and the diseases that can kill them, and how to prevent them.
on February 16, 2012
I've been fascinated by bees ever since I visited my uncle's farm when I was a little kid. He raised bees and made the most delicious honey ever! He told me all about his bees and how he raised them and what gave the honey different flavors. Where I live now we do get bees in our yard and often see them in the parks. My little one is now asking me about the bees and how they make honey and all. I got this book so I can brush up on the life and times of the bee and distill some of that knowledge to her. I really enjoyed this book. It wasn't a 200 page text book that would put you to sleep. It got right to it and told me everything in an easy to read format. I've got to admit I learned a lot about the lifecycle of the honeybee, and even though I live in the city and can't keep bees myself, it is fascinating to understand them in depth like this. I have no hesitation giving this book 5 stars and recommend it to anyone interested in bees.
on January 19, 2013
Loved the book. It was easy for me to understand. I felt smarter when I went on line to look up beekeeping equipment. The basic equipment list is great and so is the resource page. I was glad that you don' have to be very experienced to start out and it will be a great learning experience.
on July 1, 2013
Very little substance here with minimal information on most beekeeping topics. Overall it read like an informative pamphlet and not a book at all. No directions or guides for anything. I'm very grateful I didn't pay for it.
11 comment5 of 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse