Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on December 19, 2006
I first bought this book after looking at many - MANY - on the shelves in a bookstore. I was searching for a gift for my unmarried pregnant friend. SO many of the books put an emphasis on the marriage of the parents, and this book light-heartedly refers to the father as "hubby/partner".

Moreover, this book is light hearted and humorous throughout the 9 month journal. Answer choices to questions throughout the journal often include an option that will lead to at least some light laughter. Going from memory (so wording may be wrong) a few examples I can think of are:

I think you are a:

My complexion is:
__glowing
__the same
__green

Number of days I've worn the same pair of sweat pants in a row:____

My energy level is:
__Great! Never better!
__About the same as usual
__I can't even complete a senten

Now, whenever I hear those magic little words, "I'm pregnant", I rush out and buy this book. Everyone I've ever given the book to loves it. Married, single, it doesn't matter. This book's tone doesn't make anybody uncomfortable.

PLUS, there is space for weekly pictures of your growing belly. Using a digital camera and making simple prints from your computer works perfectly. There is also space for copies of ultrasounds, and space to write how you are feeling and what you are thinking.

I cannot say enough about how great this book is. I highly recommend it.

UPDATE: When I found out I was pregnant 2 years after writing this review, I ran out and bought myself this book.
55 comments| 452 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 5, 2009
I absolutely adore this book. Of all the pregnancy journals I have ever looked at, this one is the best. It is a week by week style book. It has sections for a weekly belly shot (I took monthly photos, but I filled those slots with other non-belly photos (like if we went to the park, or had a family BBQ, etc.) & little sections to write your thoughts about being pregnant. It has little survey sections for each trimester asking what you're craving & avoiding, what your favorite things are about being pregnant & your least favorite things, etc.

If you are a person who likes to write a Lot & can fill a plain journal with thoughts very easily, then this may not be the book for you. However, if you like recording your thoughts but (like me) can not fill a big journal page without repeating yourself over & over, then this book would probably work well for you.

I have filled out one with both of my pregnancies & I gave one to my sister when she was pregnant with her first. :)
review image review image review image review image
on June 20, 2006
When I found out I was pregnant I went out and bought three different pregnancy organizers/journals/keepsake books. This one is by far and away my favorite. The others are very bogged down with extra information that you will already have if, like me, you also bought a small library of pregnancy reference books. This fun and beautiful book is larger and more of a keepsake book than the others, which are more like organizers. I like that there are places to include photographs, which the others are too small to have. This will be a joy to look at in years to come to remember my pregnancy, and my baby will enjoy having this special record of our time together during pregnancy. I will buy this as a gift for all of my pregnant friends in the future.
0Comment| 160 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 27, 2012
I love this photo journal! I looked and researched SO many journals (online and in stores) till I finally choose this one. I actually had to go to the store to open it to make sure it was exactly what I wanted and saw online, and it was! The book has a place for your ultrasounds in the beginning of each trimester, and a place for a photo each week. The tough part was remembering to take a photo each week. Then bellow the photo there is a place for you to write how you felt that week. Some pages already come with questions for you to answer, and others don't.

I bought this thinking I was going to be the only one filling it out, but my husband actually felt left out when I filled out the first couple of weeks by myself. He insisted we wrote in it together, which was really neat. So now our baby girl will have memories from her mom and dad to look back on. I would just write, "Mom:" when it was from me and, "Dad:" when it was from my husband. For example, there is a page where it asks what you think the sex of the baby will be. This was before we knew of course, and my husband was 100% sure it was going to be a boy, and I was 100% sure it was going to be a girl. So we both got to write down our thoughts.

This is the perfect gift for any expecting mom and parents. I am about to buy another one to give to my friend who just found out she is pregnant!
review image
on June 27, 2006
The day I found out I was pregnant with our first child I begin a search for a good journal. This book is broken down into trimesters and then further divided into your pregnancy week by week. There are spaces for you to record your own reactions and those of family members to your pregnancy, details about cravings, morning sickness, growing stats, appetite changes, mood swings, and just general thoughts about the baby. You are prompted by the author to answer certain questions week by week but there is additional, limited space to add your own comments. I was sold on the blank spaces to attach photos week by week of belly growth and ultrasounds pictures.
0Comment| 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 14, 2013
I'm currently using this journal and From Pea to Pumpkin: A Pregnancy Journal to record my first pregnancy. I'm 26 weeks in, and after using them both (after reviewing tons of journals on Amazon), I have to say this one is my favorite. I almost didn't buy this one because the graphics and the emphasis on the "belly" really didn't appeal to me. I'm so glad I did, though! I've found that this is the journal that I've been most able to make my own. The structure of the journal allows for a lot of flexibility, and the number of extra pages allowed me to make some entries the book didn't anticipate (I had an extra ultrasound in my first trimester and it was very exciting; I used one of the extra pages to journal about it).

Each page has room for a photo, which I love. There are separate pages for ultrasounds with room enough for even two photos per page. On most pages, you have room to write whatever comes to mind, which I really enjoy. From Pea to Pumpkin uses a "fill-in-the-blank" format that only allows you to follow their prompts. I find I'm much more able to express myself with the freedom to write what I want. However, The Belly Book also has some pages with multiple choice questions and some called "Snapshot of My Life" which takes up the whole week's page (but I really enjoy). These weeks ask:

"Music that I (we) have been listening to lately:

Recent movie I've seen:

Book I'm reading:

Top news story at the moment:"

I like the balance of pages with tons of room to just write whatever comes to mind and other pages with direction that help ensure I'm including the important stuff.

At the end of each trimester, there are several pages to list your reflections on the last 3+ months. I've really appreciated that, as it's allowed me to really think about the changes and get ready for the next trimester.

I also appreciate the fact that each week has you list the dates of that week of your pregnancy (I've referred to this over and over as people ask or I wonder which week I'll be in on that date), and that there are many places to fill in info on your prenatal visits, with lines that ask pertinent information about the visit (like your size, the baby's size, etc.).

Other fun pages include one where you list the names you've been calling your little one, places to list your cravings, and pages that ask about your feelings as you get bigger, tell people the news, etc.

This journal is really well put together. It's a treasure for me and will be one for my child someday, I hope. It even has enough room (and a rubber band to keep it together) to put cards I've gotten in the back. I can't recommend this enough!
on September 27, 2013
First of all, I will start by saying there are some flaws in the book...for instance, the first page of the 2nd Trimester starts with: "today is___because we heard your heartbeat for the first time." Usually women get an ultrasound around 8-10 weeks, so really this page should be in the 1st Trimester section. I feel like the book is all scattered and most of the book is taken up by wasted space for pictures. The 1st Trimester section is made up of (4) pages to talk about the moments you found out about the pregnancy, cravings, etc...while the last (12) pages of the section are for belly photos. I feel like I have only filled out maybe (6) pages so far and I'm already halfway through with the 2nd Trimester. I'm also disappointed because the entire book is mainly centered around the mother...I wish they had incorporated the father into the book more. It is a cute idea for a book, but I feel like it was just thrown together and not implemented well. I wish I went to a book store and found a book that was better...I was mainly basing it off of the good reviews, but didn't work out this time.
on June 5, 2015
I really like this book! It's a low-pressure way to journal and scrapbook during my pregnancy. It's fun, inclusive, and nicely-designed. I also like that it's part of a series--there's also a baby book and a birthday book that I plan to get--so all of my books will have the same aesthetic.

One of my biggest initial complaints (and that of other reviewers) was that "normal" 3x5 or 4x6 pictures don't fit. I do think this is a flaw, but I've started ordering 3x3 pictures from Foxgram to use in my book. They look very cute and work great!
review image
on June 30, 2014
I am an archivist and journal-er at heart, so I really like this book because it allows me to record what I want to record, and it gives me enough space to do it. It's not perfect, but it's pretty good. If at all possible, I'd suggest that you buy it before you become pregnant. That way you can at least have a chance at recording everything you want to record.

What I like about this book:

It's neatly divided into trimesters. For the first trimester, it has places to record the things I wanted to record (e.g. when I took the preg. test, how I told my husband, our reactions, etc.) and there was enough space to write everything I wanted to write. For all the trimesters, they have a generic space to write "Notes" about every week (and post photos) - LOVE that because it allows me to write down anything I want, so that's where I put the symptoms I have each week, what happened that week, etc. They also have a section in each trimester where you can record your pre-natal visits. And then at the end of the first two trimesters, it has two pages to record any other thoughts. At the end, they have a place to record details about the birth, footprints and handprints, and a photo of the baby.

What I didn't like about this book and/or wish they could add or change:

For the first trimester, they have a page for each week, beginning with Week 1. But technically, Week 1 starts when your period starts, and typically the actual conception doesn't happen until the end of Week 2. So they have two pages devoted to weeks you're not even pregnant yet. Maybe they could instead represent the first four weeks as "Month 1"?

They have a page dedicated to each week as I mentioned above. This is nice, except that at least for the photos, not many people get belly photos before they know they're pregnant, and then for me, it's difficult to keep up taking a photo EVERY week. I love the notes section for each week, but wish they gave ideas or had some other way to utilize the photo space.

In the prenatal visits section, they have a place to record belly measurements and weight. But I also wish they had a chart where you could record your weekly weight and belly size. OR have a spot for this on each Week page.

It would also be nice for them to include a pocket in each trimester section to hold any papers or mementos.

Because of the varying nature of people and pregnancies, it's impossible to make a one-size-fits-all book, so it would be nice if they could perhaps remove pages that record morning sickness, cravings, and aversions and maybe instead give blank pages to journal, but list possible things to record (e.g. morning sickness and cravings, reactions of certain people to the news, etc.) OR suggest that people include this info in the Week pages. This also goes for the birth section - while some of it is good, I wish they would allow more room to write about the birth story and have a list of possible details to record (e.g. who came to visit, nurses to remember, etc.) rather than having a specific section for those which may or may not apply to everyone.

One last thing - the Week pages only go to Week 39. Although I know most pregnancies don't go past that, my first one did. It would be nice if they could at the very least go to Week 40.

So ultimately, despite my criticisms listed above, I'm glad I got this book - it's allowing me to document my pregnancy in the way I (mostly) want.
on February 20, 2015
Overall very happy with this book. My only criticism is something I wonder if others have been confused about? It has week by week journal pages Belly week 1, and so on until delivery. Now, the general rule of measuring weeks of pregnancy counts counts week 1 as the first day of your last period, so weeks 1 and 2 your not technically even pregnant yet. In this book, Belly week 1 asks for your possible date of conception, and if you knew you were pregnant. Why is this if for most women, week 1 was the week of your period? Belly week 2 asks about your earliest pregnancy symptoms. Again, for most women end of week 2 to beginning of week 3 is when you ovulate and conceive- so the question doesn't apply. This threw me off, and I felt I had to re-direct those questions when they were actually applicable in weeks 3-4 when I actually WAS pregnant. So for Belly week 1 and 2 I just ended up journaling pre-conception thoughts, and ovulation testing.