5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Memory Book
I first bought this book after looking at many - MANY - on the shelves in a bookstore. I was searching for a gift for my unmarried pregnant friend. SO many of the books put an emphasis on the marriage of the parents, and this book light-heartedly refers to the father as "hubby/partner".

Moreover, this book is light hearted and humorous throughout the 9 month...
Published on December 19, 2006 by Rachel

2.0 out of 5 stars Too rigid in its format
Published on April 7, 2009 by K. Short

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Memory Book, December 19, 2006
This review is from: The Belly Book: A Nine-Month Journal for You and Your Growing Belly (Potter Style) (Hardcover-spiral)

Moreover, this book is light hearted and humorous throughout the 9 month journal. Answer choices to questions throughout the journal often include an option that will lead to at least some light laughter. Going from memory (so wording may be wrong) a few examples I can think of are:

I think you are a:

My complexion is:
__glowing
__the same
__green

Number of days I've worn the same pair of sweat pants in a row:____

My energy level is:
__Great! Never better!
__About the same as usual
__I can't even complete a senten

Now, whenever I hear those magic little words, "I'm pregnant", I rush out and buy this book. Everyone I've ever given the book to loves it. Married, single, it doesn't matter. This book's tone doesn't make anybody uncomfortable.

PLUS, there is space for weekly pictures of your growing belly. Using a digital camera and making simple prints from your computer works perfectly. There is also space for copies of ultrasounds, and space to write how you are feeling and what you are thinking.

I cannot say enough about how great this book is. I highly recommend it.

UPDATE: When I found out I was pregnant 2 years after writing this review, I ran out and bought myself this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best keepsake for you and your baby, June 20, 2006
When I found out I was pregnant I went out and bought three different pregnancy organizers/journals/keepsake books. This one is by far and away my favorite. The others are very bogged down with extra information that you will already have if, like me, you also bought a small library of pregnancy reference books. This fun and beautiful book is larger and more of a keepsake book than the others, which are more like organizers. I like that there are places to include photographs, which the others are too small to have. This will be a joy to look at in years to come to remember my pregnancy, and my baby will enjoy having this special record of our time together during pregnancy. I will buy this as a gift for all of my pregnant friends in the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars The perfect pregnancy journal, June 27, 2006
The day I found out I was pregnant with our first child I begin a search for a good journal. This book is broken down into trimesters and then further divided into your pregnancy week by week. There are spaces for you to record your own reactions and those of family members to your pregnancy, details about cravings, morning sickness, growing stats, appetite changes, mood swings, and just general thoughts about the baby. You are prompted by the author to answer certain questions week by week but there is additional, limited space to add your own comments. I was sold on the blank spaces to attach photos week by week of belly growth and ultrasounds pictures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Too much fun!, November 8, 2006
This pregnancy journal is just plain fun! I have been looking through the journal I used for my last pregnancy, and not only is it packed full of lists, etc that I never used, it was also pretty straightforward and boring. I so enjoy jotting things down and checking things off in this one. Even if they really don't apply, they are good for a chuckle, and then I feel that I can just scribble my own thoughts in. My best friend and I did kind of wonder about having a place for a picture for EVERY week starting with week one - "Honey, just in case we conceived last night, let's get a picture" - but I've found that it's fun to just include pictures of what was going on each week, whether it's baby-bump-related or not. Then I get a sort of scrapbook done for my whole pregnancy. I love the way it's segmented into the weeks, the OB visits, the ultrasounds, etc in each trimester. One note: this journal dates your weeks as from conception, not first day of LMP which is what the medical community uses, so I just wrote the week as I'm looking at it in parentheses to keep myself straight. Hope you enjoy this one . . . it really is fun! And you should be enjoying yourself, not stressing out about writing everything down!

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE this book!!, August 3, 2007
I bought this book at the bookstore. I wanted to find a journal-type book to document my pregnancy. My memory was starting to go, and I didn't want to forget anything! Thank goodness I got this book. My memory is gone now! :) I love this book. There are so many different areas in it. The beginning has a spot for your name, age, and which pregnancy this is for you. It has three divisions: first, second, and third trimesters. The tabs are colored, too. Each section has questions relevant to that trimester. For example, the first trimester: Where and when I took the home pregnancy test and First reaction when I realized it was positive. There's a spot to put your doctor's name, your starting weight, and your plans for delivery. There's a section in every trimester titled Cravings & Aversions (food you love and hate at the time). There is room for pictures on every page. There are pages strictly for ultrasound pictures. You can write something on every page. It goes week-by-week. I just LOVE it! I would HIGHLY recommend this book to every pregnant woman out there. It's a great way to document your pregnancy, and a great momento for the child it's about. One day, I'll give this book to my baby. I hope she'll appreciate it as much as I do. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Keepsake and a Tool for Fighting Depression All-in-One!, April 21, 2012
Vinya (Washington State) - See all my reviews
People don't talk much about prenatal depression, or even ambivalence about becoming a parent, very often. But even with a planned, wanted pregnancy, it's hard to feel uniformly and continuously upbeat - there's the hormonal hurricanes, the physical discomfort, and, oh yeah, the certainty that *everything* is about to change. It seems almost too simple to be true, but The Belly Book is a great tool for combating the pre-baby blues.

First, any chronological pregnancy journal will help provide tangible proof when you really need it - somewhere around week 36, for me - that you have not actually been pregnant for years, the end is in sight, and, hey, you've come a long way, baby. What makes The Belly Book even better is its short, sweet, flexible format. On weeks where pregnancy is awesome and I want to write a lot, I can fill out not only the page for that week of pregnancy, but also write some extras about cravings, or feeling my sweet baby kick. If I'm down, I can write just a quick paragraph and even let my inner curmudgeon out in a light-hearted way by admitting I'm feeling more like Humpty Dumpty than a glowing Buddha. I love that the Book gave me a way to be honestly grumpy without letting that be the whole story, with prompts that keep the focus on a happy future.

Though I'd recommend this book to anyone (who is pregnant, of course), I'd especially encourage anyone prone to depression to give it a try. The Belly Book is a great tool for thinking positively, and a cute keepsake to boot!

I do wish there was more space for unstructured writing, and I would have loved a pocket or two for memorabilia, but those aren't huge complaints. Overall, highly recommended; I'll purchase this again if I have another child, and have already given one as a gift.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too rigid in its format, April 7, 2009
K. Short (San Diego, California) - See all my reviews
I was given this book as a gift early in my pregnancy and I thought the format was too rigid. For example, there is only one page for each ultrasound per date, and I had several photos from each appointment. Also, it has pages for "belly photos" starting at week 1 when you aren't even really pregnant until 3 weeks into your pregnancy and probably don't know your pregnant until much further along.
I ended up buying a photo album that had space on each page to write notes, and I can format the pages freely. I write notes on each page about doctor's appointments, cravings, and other milestones along side of my belly photos and ultrasound photos.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Pregnancy Journal!, March 31, 2008
I shopped around quite a bit for the perfect journal to record the milestones and info leading up to baby's birth day. In fact, I purchased 4 journals...and this one is my favorite. The layout is charming (shaped like a growing belly) and there is enough space each week to write whatever you desire, as well as to include a photo each week if you so choose. I have photos pasted on some weeks...and others have lots of my ramblings filling up the entire page.

There are separate pages in each section for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd trimester prenatal appointments, ultrasounds (and photos), name ideas, and full pages at the end of each trimester for mom/dad's "closing thoughts".

I like that there are some occasional lead questions, but not too many that it is cumbersome or overly rediculous with petty questions. The type is also light enough that if you wish to ignore a question...well, I write right over it. :)

The cover is hard covered board, and inside it is spiral - making it very easy to turn and lay open to write. There is also an elastic strap that wraps around the entire book and keeps it tightly closed -- I have placed photos, envelopes, and other special mementos inside and they do not fall out!!

My only wish is that it included 40 or 41 weeks (for those of us who do tend to carry to full term) rather than the 39 it currently has. I used the "closing remarks" pages at the end of the 3rd Tri for my Week 40.

I have had fun with this book and will certainly purchase another for our next baby-to-be.

2.0 out of 5 stars Really cute journal, but didnt fit my needs, November 30, 2007
We tried to get pregnant for two years, and when it finally happened I wanted to document everything. I found this book and thought it was adorable. What a neat keepsake. But as my pregnancy went on, I realized that a lot of the sections didn't apply to me. There weren't enough spots for my ultrasound photos, I didn't have adversions, I wasn't sick, etc. So much of the book stayed blank. It's a great idea, but really check out each section and each page before purchasing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Pregnancy Keepsake!, September 27, 2012
I love this photo journal! I looked and researched SO many journals (online and in stores) till I finally choose this one. I actually had to go to the store to open it to make sure it was exactly what I wanted and saw online, and it was! The book has a place for your ultrasounds in the beginning of each trimester, and a place for a photo each week. The tough part was remembering to take a photo each week. Then bellow the photo there is a place for you to write how you felt that week. Some pages already come with questions for you to answer, and others don't.

I bought this thinking I was going to be the only one filling it out, but my husband actually felt left out when I filled out the first couple of weeks by myself. He insisted we wrote in it together, which was really neat. So now our baby girl will have memories from her mom and dad to look back on. I would just write, "Mom:" when it was from me and, "Dad:" when it was from my husband. For example, there is a page where it asks what you think the sex of the baby will be. This was before we knew of course, and my husband was 100% sure it was going to be a boy, and I was 100% sure it was going to be a girl. So we both got to write down our thoughts.

This is the perfect gift for any expecting mom and parents. I am about to buy another one to give to my friend who just found out she is pregnant!

The Belly Book: A Nine-Month Journal for You and Your Growing Belly (Potter Style) by Amy Krouse Rosenthal (Hardcover-spiral - March 7, 2006)
$16.99 $10.13