4.0 out of 5 stars Sleep leads to weight loss?
Published 15 months ago by Joanna Daneman

Published 15 months ago by Lori Grayson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Good information but if you read prevention magazine, this is a recap., March 23, 2013
This review is from: The Belly Melt Diet: The 6-Week Plan to Harness Your Body's Natural Rhythms to Lose Weight for Good! (Kindle Edition)
My husband suggested this book after watching a segment on the Rachel Ray show. I read it and none of the information was new. Eat whole unprocessed foods. Sleep. Turn off all devices by 9pm. Phase 1 is 3 days where you eat 1200 calories a day. Servings are 4 whole grains, 2-3 servings of veggies, 1 fruit, 2-3 low fat dairy, 3-4 protein, 1 serving of oil. Phase 2 is 1500 calories a day, add a grain and whatever else to get there. Walk in the am for 20 min, do some sort of strength training a few days a week in the pm. That is it in a nutshell. It didnt require a whole book for that info.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sleep leads to weight loss?, March 22, 2013
The "Belly Melt" diet not only talks about what to eat, it gives you a quiz about your sleeping habits, so you can harness your body's natural hormones to help you lose weight. The opening chapter discusses some of the research; it's been known for years that shift workers have digestive problems; night eaters tend to be more obese (of course, not all, because some people are natural night owls.) When you eat, how regularly you eat and what you eat can help you harness your natural weight loss abilities and also give you the upper hand against the body's natural tendency to NOT want to give up pounds in the face of what it views as "starvation."

If you don't like reading science stuff, you can skim over words like "leptin" and "ghrelin" but do read the chapters to find out why you should sleep more (possibly) eat at certain times and follow this advice. For example, do you get hungry the same time every day, no matter how much you've eaten, say for breakfast? (I do. I'm hungriest at lunch, and that has been true my entire life.) And I am a "lark" meaning, I get up early. I've learned before I read this book, if I want to maintain my weight, eat my biggest meals before the afternoon. There are several questionnaires in the book to help you figure out your natural cycles and also figure out your sleeping patterns. Sleep is the key to this weight loss system. Sleep is when certain hormones rise and fall, and managing these hormones is, according to the author, the key to stimulating your body's natural weight loss ability.

If you are on a crazy schedule, or don't like to shop for food and cook, this book may NOT be for you. You may find you are better off with a prepared food regime or a point-counting system where you can eat out or eat pre-made food and still watch what you are doing. But the advice on time of day still could help you.

Another assist to this book could be the BodyMedia LINK Armband Weight Management System because it will tell you how long you slept and how well and also how much movement you did each day, and record the data. I found out I don't sleep very much or very well--a problem to maintain weight. There is a lot about sleep here and belly fat. For example, a lack of sleep seems to make people hungrier, and levels of one hormone that causes fat retention (ghrelin) is elevated. Chronic sleep deprivation (sleeping less than the optimal hours for your particular physiology) is associated with diabetes, cardiac disease, and (big surprise) bad tempers. The author even discusses the LIGHT LEVEL in your bedroom; blocking out as much light as possible (dark curtains, eye masks) can stimulate sleep hormones like melatonin and assist with weight loss. Who knew?

The book also lists foods good for sleep and good for suppressing cravings. It also discusses menopause, a time when women gain a lot of weight and have difficulties sleeping. Yes, there is a lot about sleep in this book, but it could really help your overall health, not just your weight.

The recipe chapter has breakfasts, lunches, dinners. The recipes feature certain carbs or proteins (like fatty fish) and you could use them as guidelines--need a salad with fish? What about fibrous carbs and protein? The breakfasts are things like oatmeal with fruits or omelets with vegetables, you get the picture. After you figure out what to eat, when, you can probably use these as templates for your own ideas. I liked a lot of the recipes such as tostadas and quesadillas.

Summary: good science behind this weight loss method, but it requires attention to timing, sleeping, food choices and cooking meals, so it may not fit your lifestyle. However, if you have been stuck while eating correctly and still not losing, this may be the key to success. For the record, changing up some meds, then following a regime of eating early and not after 6pm, I lost about 25 lbs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Belly melt diet, September 25, 2012
The book has some interesting info on sleep and managing it as well as how it affects the body. Overall I found the book to be a poor guide for weight loss. It felt like it was a sickly thrown together conglomeration of many diet books with a central theme of managing stress and sleep. I am sorry I spent money on it

3.0 out of 5 stars belly melt diet, October 7, 2012
book is to long and too complicated ,menus are good if you have a full time chef
to cook and prepare all the meals ....should be called the great belly diet if your rich and can employ the kitchen staff!@!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very informative!, October 24, 2012
I learned a lot with this book, I can't tell you that by reading it I lost 15 pounds or that I followed strictly the diet! But I did a lot of changes to my lifestyle, specially to my sleep schedule and the types and quantities of food I eat at certain times of the day, and it has helped me lost 5 pounds so far! Not as fast as I would like, but I'm still loosing weight. And I feel much better, specially because I am making sure I have a nice 7 hours or more of sleep every night.

Recipes is what I love the most, easy, delicious and healthy! It's an overall easy to read book, great guide to help you loose weight in a healthy way. I like that is not restrictive like others I have tried before, in which I could not eat this or that type of food, making my options short and difficult.

Would definitely recommend it!

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay!, September 22, 2012
The Belly Melt is okay as far as diets go. I sort of like the South Beach better because there are more healthy snacks allowed. I have eated the ones on the menu but I find that I always want more. Maybe that few of calories takes some getting used to. At least there are only 3 days of the strictest phase!

3.0 out of 5 stars Possibly better for others, January 15, 2013
To follow this book and get the best results, I believe you would have to be a lot more dedicated than I am. I did not find it as helpful as I had hoped. For someone more organized than I, I believe it would be of great help in achieving their goal.

5.0 out of 5 stars All makes sense, October 26, 2012
I am only 30% through this book, but it all makes sense. I was one of those people that thought 6 hours of sleep was enough. Turns out I was wrong. I am working on getting more sleep and drinking water before meals. I think that little changes in your life style can bring about a healthier you!

5.0 out of 5 stars This concept really makes sense!, April 14, 2013
Of all the diet plans I have researched this one really makes sense! This goes according each person's individual body rhythms. Everyone has a system that makes their body run smoothly and this book goes into detail about how it works and how we can get back to that with a little time and effort. It's all about nature. THings like sleep, (very important). Not just any sleep but the right type of sleep. Pretty much if we don't treat our bodies right then they can't survive very long. Much like our vehicles; if we don't put the right fluids in them, change the filters regularly, keep them clean, and regular checkups they won't perform the way they should. THis book is a MUST read; VERY informative. I am not done reading yet but I am trying some of the sleep suggestions and it is amazing how much better I feel!

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much work to follow the Belly Melt Diet, December 12, 2012
Sharon Wheeler (Lake Lure, NC USA) - See all my reviews
I thought the diet was too complicated. Not one that was easy to purchase food for, prepare it, and stick to it. After reading 60 pages and then going to the recipes, I decided that Weight Watchers Point system was a much better fit for me. It might make sense for others, but it was not a diet that I would want to try.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›