5.0 out of 5 stars Clever and meaningful!
Published on September 22, 2000 by mom from Phoenix

3.0 out of 5 stars nail biting help
Published on August 10, 2010 by nanny M

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever and meaningful!, September 22, 2000
mom from Phoenix (Phoenix, Arizona USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Berenstain Bears and the Bad Habit (Paperback)
Once again Stan and Jan have made a complex issue simple for the child. I love the way they explain what a habit is and why it is hard to break. Sister's bad habit is biting her nails but we substitute whatever we want (nose picking etc.)and our children (age 2 and 6) roar with laughter as they learn that a habit isn't easy to quit...but you can do it with practice. We love this book. I even gave it to a college student who bites her nails and she loves it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is helping my daughter stop thumb-sucking, July 20, 2008
HappyMom (Hollywood, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Berenstain Bears and the Bad Habit (Paperback)
I gave this book five stars because, more than any other technique we've tried, it has helped my daughter stop sucking her thumb. Now four years old, she had been sucking her thumb since she was about six months old. We've tried rewards, sticker charts, threatening loss of privileges, talking with the dentist, the works. Nothing worked. This book, in three weeks, has taken my daughter's bad habit from an all-day activity to just one she does in her sleep. We're still applying the principles from the book, in hopes that it even eradicates the sleep-time habit as well. In any case, I could not be happier that we read this book together.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard To Break., September 8, 2002
tvtv3 "tvtv3" (St. Louis Metro East Area) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Berenstain Bears and the Bad Habit (Paperback)
Bad habits are hard to break is a lesson that many adults don't even know very well. Most young children don't even have a clue what a habit is, let alone know the difference between a bad habit and a good one. This edition of The Berenstain Bears not only explains what a habit is, it also illustrates the difference between good and bad habits, and offers a helpful way how possibly to break a bad habit youngsters may have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with this book, August 20, 2012
This review is from: The Berenstain Bears and the Bad Habit (Paperback)
I and my children are very happy with this book. When I catch them doing one of their bad habits we refer back to the book and they are able to discuss the situation and compare it to the characters. We read this book often and it is one of their favorites.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book for kids with a "Bad Habit", December 9, 2009
Courtney K. Scholl (Farmington, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Berenstain Bears and the Bad Habit (Paperback)
We got this book to help us teach our 2 1/2 year old that it was a "bad habit" to suck on her fingers. We started with the book for a week, then moved on to Mavala STOP nail polish. It worked! She was a SERIOUS finger sucker, and after 3 days of the Mavala and the support of the book, she no longer sucks on her fingers. She even states, "It's a bad habit." She loved the book and I am ordering some of the other titles that my family can relate to.

5.0 out of 5 stars It worked! - with a follow up review, October 18, 2013
Pia (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Berenstain Bears and the Bad Habit (Paperback)
I read this book with my 3 year old son yesterday and gave him a sticker from the book as a reminder not to bite his nails (he had it on his shirt all day at pre-school) and a nickel which he has to give back to me if he bites his nails today. All day today, HE DID NOT BITE HIS NAILS! It worked!!! This is first time in almost a year.

Will this continue to work and will he break his habit? I don't know. This was my last resort before painting his nails with the icky stuff, which I want to avoid since I don't want to put toxic chemicals (if any) on him that he might ingest. I was so happy to find out he didn't bite his nails and we will keep on giving him the stickers and $$. I'll post a follow up later.

It's been about 2 months since my initial review. My son is no longer a habitual nail biter. The sticker and a nickel per day lasted a week or two and he didn't need them any more. His habit is broken! When I see him biting his nails from time to time, I trim the nails smooth so there is nothing much to bite then he stops. It's important to keep a close eye on the nail length and trim them 1-2 times a week. I am so glad I got this book for him. This method may or may not work with everyone and the result will vary heavily depending on the disposition of your child. But it won't hurt to try this book and introduce the concept of 'habit' and discuss 'bad habits' with your child.

5.0 out of 5 stars It helped as part of a bigger strategy, May 9, 2008
This review is from: The Berenstain Bears and the Bad Habit (Paperback)
The book is about the habit of nail biting although we used it to discuss quitting the thumb-sucking habit. It's a nice way to talk to your kid about how hard it is to break a bad habit. And it gave me, as the parent, an idea for how to reward daily efforts, rather than total success.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a good book!, January 7, 2009
Dusty (California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Berenstain Bears and the Bad Habit (Paperback)
This is a great book to let little ones know that they are not alone with their bad habits. I am glad that we had it before we worked on stopping nail biting with Mavala Stop. It worked great!

3.0 out of 5 stars nail biting help, August 10, 2010
This review is from: The Berenstain Bears and the Bad Habit (Paperback)
I love the Bernstein Bears books. My 2 year old had an extreme bad habit of biting her nails so I thought this book may help her. The story is cute but not intended for the very young. Mama and Papa bear try to come up with ways to help Sister Bear stop her bad habit, nail biting. With the suggestion of Grandma Bear they found that giving her 10 pennies at the beginning of the day and taking one penny away every time she bit a nail worked for her. If you like the Bernstein Bears books and like this reward system for bad habits, you should like this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thumb sucker no more!!! (5yr old), May 13, 2014
This review is from: The Berenstain Bears and the Bad Habit (Paperback)
Based on other reviews I choose to purchase 2. I paired this with "Stop Thumb Sucking, Thumbusters, Blue" and boy it has worked great!!! My 5 yr old would suck his thumb when he was: tires, sad, bored, anxious, etc. It got so bad that I caught him suckling him thumb in THE MIDDLE OF SOCCER PRACTICE!!! This has worked amazingly! We are usign the star chart AND used $0.25 prizes for reinforcing as suggested on the book. SUCCESS!!!!

Hang in there parents!! There's light at the end of the tunnel ;)

The Berenstain Bears and the Bad Habit
The Berenstain Bears and the Bad Habit by Stan Berenstain (Paperback - 1986)
$4.99