5.0 out of 5 stars Help for a new "big-sibling"
Published on March 20, 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected it to be...
I purchased this book for my 3 year old son, who will be becoming a big brother next month. Even though he understands a baby is coming and is excited about it, I thought a couple books would be fun for him to learn more. I've always been a Berenstain Bears fan, so I really wanted this one over other sibling books.

This story didn't focus as much on the aspect...
Published 8 months ago by Southern Girl

5.0 out of 5 stars Help for a new "big-sibling", March 20, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Berenstain Bears' New Baby (Paperback)
Twenty-three years ago, my parents gave me this book to help medeal with the arrival of my baby brother. I read it over and overagain, and it really helped me see that I was the big sister and that new things were waiting for me. I think the other reviewer missed the point about Brother Bear outgrowing his bed and giving it to Sister Bear. The authors were illustrating the exciting changes that were in store for Brother Bear and reinforcing that growing up and changing is a good thing. I will definitly read this to my children when I have them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Relax People!, July 14, 2012
CA Customer (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Berenstain Bears' New Baby (Paperback)
This is my first time reviewing a book on Amazon. Reading the negative reviews associated with Berenstain Bears' New Baby inspired me to do so.

The negative reviews for this book all detail the "absurdity" and "offensive nature" of this book. People complain that the book left their child (and sibling-to-be) confused about the upcoming birth. One of the reviewers even asked "What universe is this book from?" Yes, this book is written in another universe: it's written in a universe where bears wear overalls and moo moos! These people need to be reading something from "What to Expect When Mommy's Expecting and You Want Your Two-Year-Old To Experience The Miracle of Childbirth."

This is a nice children's book, which has more to do with Small Bear adjusting to life as a big brother and not being an only-child (or an only-cub in this case). If the former is what you're looking for, I highly recommend "The Berenstain Bears Meet The Birds & The Bees."

Relax and enjoy the book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected it to be..., November 3, 2013
This review is from: The Berenstain Bears' New Baby (Paperback)

This story didn't focus as much on the aspect of the new baby - rather, it talked about Brother Bear (called Small Bear in this book, which was confusing) getting too big for his bed. Papa Bear makes him a new one so that the smaller bed can go to the new baby. Brother doesn't learn about the new baby until the day she arrives, so don't expect this story to be one that will prepare or excite your older child about a baby on the way.

It's a cute story and I like the illustrations, but it's just not a good one to prepare a young child on becoming a big sibling.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Charming Classic Story, April 14, 2008
Papa Bear (Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Berenstain Bears' New Baby (Paperback)
I love this book! It is a genuine classic--one of the early Berenstain Bears books. It is cute and innocent and a very good way to introduce the idea of a new baby coming into the family for very young children. There may be more sophisticated books which would be better for older kids, but for younger children, this is perfect.

4.0 out of 5 stars This book is good for small children., September 8, 2005
Lauren (Chicago, IL, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Berenstain Bears' New Baby (Paperback)
This is book is good for small children, who need to understand how a new baby will change their life without being saddled with details on labor, delivery and pregnancy. To those who expect more, get another book... this one was written in the early 80s, when such things were as openly discussed as they are now. Most fathers didnt go into the delivery room at the time. Besides, they're BEARS not people. Also, to the people who find the gender-role things askew, come on... again, this was not written in this decade... yes it is dated, but I personally don't WANT my kids reading a whole lot of details on the process. Last, some complain that the child would have to be stupid to not notice mama's changing shape... not necessarily. A very small child would only notice such a thing when it effects them (hence mama's lap getting too small).

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes bringing home a new sibling bear-able, November 10, 2009
Lee A. McIntyre (Riverside, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Berenstain Bears' New Baby (Paperback)
This book has been around at least 35 years. That's when I first bought it to introduce the concept of a new baby to my almost-two-year-old son. He loved the book, and he in turn loved his new baby sister from the moment he first held her. (He was the first one to hold her -- sitting in the rocking chair -- when she and Mommy came home from the hospital.) Our copy is long gone, so I bought a copy recently to give to my wife's daughter, who is pregnant with her second child.

The book did the trick in our family, and I have every expectation it will do the trick in hers.

"The trick"? Introduce a new baby and eliminate any and all first-born jealousies or bad feelings toward the new little "intruder." Get the first-born involved with age-appropriate caring for the little one, and build a sense of pride in the newborn.

The book is a delightful story, which my almost-two-year-old loved hearing over and over again, even (maybe even more) after his little sister left "Mommy's tummy" and was home to stay. Thirty-five years later, my son and daughter are still "best friends." Do I give ALL the credit to the book? 'Course not. But that's where it all started.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very nice book, July 9, 2003
This review is from: The Berenstain Bears' New Baby (Paperback)
We bought several books for my two-year old son to prepare him for our new baby. This book does a nice job talking about transitions, specifically growing up and needing a new, larger bed. My son identifies with that, and he likes the story (especially how Papa Bear uses tools to build the new bed). The new baby shows up at the very end of this story, so admittedly, that is not the main focus of this book. (The book might be better titled, "The Berenstain Bears' New Bed".) If you want a book that gives your child details on a new baby (what happens at the hospital, how to breastfeed, how to help take care of it, etc.), then you obviously need to buy a different book. But you probably want to get multiple books on the 'new baby' theme, and this one fits in nicely.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not exactly what I expected, September 20, 2013
This review is from: The Berenstain Bears' New Baby (Paperback)
My son likes the Berenstain Bears and I was hoping this book would talk about the transition from being an only child to having a sibling. This didn't quite get there talking about how things were before and then focusing on making a bigger bed for brother. I will have to keep looking for another book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not too realistic..., September 16, 2013
Erika "Voracious reader. That is all." (KLAMATH FALLS, OR, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Berenstain Bears' New Baby (Paperback)
This is sweet and I love the Berenstein Bears, so I was really hoping for a little more to the plot as I have a 4 year old son who is about to have a new sister. The problem with this book is that Brother and Papa leave the house one day to cut down a tree and make a new big boy bed for Brother. When Brother wants to know what will happen to his little bed, he and Papa arrive home to find a new baby in his old bed.

Ta-da!! Mama apparently gave birth at home, alone, in the space of an afternoon while Papa and Brother were in the woods all afternoon...

Not quite what I was hoping for, but still sweet all the same.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute, But A Very Different Berenstain Bears!, February 15, 2013
This review is from: The Berenstain Bears' New Baby (Paperback)
I'm sure this was my fault for not reading the description (mom brain) but I was surprised by this book. The story is about the birth of Sister Bear. Brother Bear is referred to by a different name and the Bear family lives in a very different version of their tree house.

It's still a good story, but it's a very early version of the Berenstain family. I purchased Berenstain Bears Baby Makes 3 as well and I like that one better for continuity purposes.

The Berenstain Bears' New Baby
The Berenstain Bears' New Baby by Stan Berenstain (Paperback - September 12, 1974)
$3.99 $2.56