5.0 out of 5 stars An old Chicago landmark
Published on November 5, 2007 by Steven A. Peterson

3.0 out of 5 stars Well, one recipe wasn't quite the same...
Published on December 31, 2007 by o-namae desu

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An old Chicago landmark, November 5, 2007
Steven A. Peterson (Hershey, PA (Born in Kewanee, IL)) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Berghoff Family Cookbook: From Our Table to Yours, Celebrating a Century of Entertaining (Hardcover)
It was hard to read the news that The Berghoff was shutting its doors in 2006. Whenever I would attend a meeting in Chicago, especially at the Palmer House, one stop was always right around the corner at The Berghoff on Adams. A group of us would normally go over for at least one dinner or a lunch (and what an atmosphere for lunch; it was worth the price of admission just to be there and experience the crowding and so on).

This book is more than a cookbook. It also provides a family history of the founder and the four generations of the Berghoff family who ran this family business over a 100 plus years.

But it is also a fine cookbook, showcasing some of the best recipes from the Berghoff. As an appetizer, there is the grilled Portobello mushrooms marinated in balsamic vinaigrette. The marinade is pretty straightforward. Let the mushrooms sit in the marinade for a couple hours; then grill the mushrooms.

Lunch, as noted, was an adventure at Berghoff. Once, I couldn't quite make up my mind and was rewarded with the servers telling me to hurry up and make my choice as I was in line! One of the lunches that I recall having was the Berghoff roasted turkey breast sandwich. Instructions for making it are pretty clear, and I look forward to reprising one of these fine lunches in the near future in my own kitchen.

And one of my favorite dinners was Sauerbraten. Another dish with its own marinade to provide the rich flavor. Again, the recipe is clearly presented and the step by step approach makes this quite doable.

Finally, a side dish--red cabbage. Again, I always enjoyed this. One nice thing about the recipe here--options are available, whether going with onion or apple or bacon.

This is a neat reminder of the old restaurant and what made it fun to visit. The recipes are a legacy that will keep the memory of The Berghoff going. A nice book to pick up!

3.0 out of 5 stars Well, one recipe wasn't quite the same..., December 31, 2007
o-namae desu (From: the other side of forty) - See all my reviews
The book rates 3 stars because it's a decent, but not spectacular, cookbook. If you're a fan of the restaurant, you'll buy it anyway; in addition to 20 pages of history, there are old photos and restaurant anecdotes sprinkled throughout. But if you're one of those people who won't shop at Marshall Field's anymore, then maybe you'll prefer NOT to enrich the 4th-generation author, who closed the restaurant! (Chances are, you only really want one or two of the recipes, right? So go to the library.) Of 140 recipes, 79 are from the restaurant; the remainder are from Jan's personal collection and Carlyn's catering menu. (And it's stretching a bit to call a Root Beer Float a recipe.) Speaking of the restaurant recipes, rahm schnitzel & creamed spinach both turned out exactly as expected. But I think the red cabbage is off: If you follow it (shred 1 head cabbage, cook low uncovered 1hr with 1.5cup sugar, 1.5cup vinegar, 1stick butter) you get an EXTREMELY sweet side dish -- after an hour, you have candied cabbage! Fun, but not what The Berghoff actually served. (Maybe... Covered? Two heads? Water? Anybody know if there is an errata sheet published?)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Chicago Classic -- Creamed Spinach anyone?, September 7, 2007
Berghoff's was a Chicago landmark for over 100 years until it closed in 2006. Some of their menu items (like the creamed spinach and the rye bread) were legendary; it's worth the price of the book just to get those! The book is an interesting compendium of recipes and history. Whether you're a Chicago history buff, a cook, or just one of the many people who has fond memories of meals at Berghoff's, this volume will be a welcome additon to your library.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Feast on Berghoff Food and Restaurant History!, November 8, 2007
This book is so exciting for me, as it covers the history of the Berghoff Restaurant, in business since Chicago's Columbian Exposition of 1893, and gives the recipes that became favorites of so many families over the generations. Plus, it also includes contemporary recipes of current Berghoff kitchen queen--Carlyn, whose food will take the name into the next century. The recipes of the old German style restaurant have inspired me to have a party I am calling "Berghoff Octoberfest in December". I am sending each of my friends a recipe from the book to make and bring. I am preparing the famous Wiener Schnitzel, my husband is bringing the Berghoff Beers, and friends are making the creamed spinach, red cabbage salad, signature rye bread, German potatoes, and the apple strudel. My teenage son has volunteered to serve us wearing a tux--just like generations of Berghoff waiters!

This book will make a great gift to friends who are also nostalgic diners!

4.0 out of 5 stars Been dying for this book!, September 28, 2007
I grew up in the Chicago area and this was always my family's favorite place to go. I moved to California but always came back once a year for the restaurant convention in May. I dragged all my co- workers along and they fell in love too. Was very sad when it closed! Cook book is good, but some old favorites seem to be missing (Creamy garlic salad dressing) and there are some errors in the recipes. None the less I'm working my way through the book. Wish they had printed copy of a more recent menu so I could figure out what else I'm missing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Old Chicago Tradition, December 28, 2007
The Berghoff was the restaurant of choice for generations of my family in Chicago. It was the place my father always took me when we went shopping downtown. This cook book is not only filled with menus and recipes, it contains lots of Chicago history and memories. If you are a Chicago native, it's a must have for your collection. If you are looking for a gift, send The Berghoff Family Cookbook: From Our Table to Yours, Celebrating a Century of Entertaining - it will please anyone who appreciates good food and wants to know more about our great city.

5.0 out of 5 stars Berghoff Recipe Book, February 27, 2008
Was one of my favorite restaurants and I was surprised that the book had all my favorite recipes and more. Great book - better than I had imagined and full of wonderful German recipes and the addition of new ones from the catering business. Explained things better than most books. All around great buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, November 16, 2007
I purchased this book for the nostalgic factor and German heritage of the recipes and photos of the old Berghoff which has now closed. There were photos and recipes of the old Berghoff. However, the majority of recipes are the ones featured in the family's catering business rather than the old world recipes I had hoped for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Accessible German Specialties, November 23, 2009
C. Lane (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
I love the mix of old classics and new favorites. Having grown up in Chicago, I've tasted Berghoff food throughout my life. It has only gotten better with the advent of the cafe. Putting a modern twist on the old recipes makes this cookbook relevant and a means of recreating those comfort foods from childhood. My favorite was the homemade pizza crust recipe that really took the mystery out of what to do with yeast. Second would have to be the beer cheese soup. Yum!! A definite must have cookbook for every Chicagoan but good enough for anyone who wants page after page of crowed pleasing recipes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Berghoff Family Cookbook: Good History; Good Recipes, November 24, 2009
This is one cookbook you'll want to sit down and read through before trying to make any of the recipes. Understanding where this Chicago institution of a restaurant came from is huge...I think it was the oldest restaurant in Chicago, founded in the early 1890s.

And you can feel that; feels like this cookbook has been waiting to come out for a century but things needed to breathe...and they have.

If you don't have a Chicago connection, but just have a thing for German food, you can't not have this cookbook on your shelf. Give it a read; then give it a cook!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›