Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

on March 31, 2008
Bing Crosby is practically as much a part of Christmas for me as Santa Claus and snowmen. When I was four, I heard "White Christmas" for the first time and was mesmerized by Bing's amazing voice. The following year, my mom took me on an outing to the local record store and I bought "Merry Christmas", the old tape containing all of Bing's most well-known Christmas songs. It was later re-released as a CD entitled "White Christmas". Up until last year, I would play that album non-stop in December.

When I was out doing my Black Friday shopping last year, I came across this album. Curious to see what was on it, I flipped it over and saw that I had missed out on many other great Bing Crosby Christmas songs. I promptly purchased it and stuck it in my CD player as soon as I got home.

All my old favorites were there, such as "White Christmas" and the uptempo "Jingle Bells" featuring the prominent clarinet solo. The other tracks were instant hits with me. I was familiar with most of the songs but one in particular stood out--"Christmas Is A Comin'". Others who own this CD seem to agree that it is truly a unique song, one that isn't heard every day. It's catchy, fun, and easy to tap your foot to!

Also worth noting is the 1942 version of "White Christmas". It's somewhat different than the 1947 recording, which is the one that usually gets played on the radio and included on Bing Crosby albums (including the "Merry Christmas"/"White Christmas" collection). This is explained in the album liner, which contains a wealth of information about Bing Crosby and his Christmas music.

I highly recommend this album for anyone who celebrates Christmas or anyone who enjoys Bing Crosby. The selection of music, unique songs, and well-written liner make this my top pick for a Christmas album, dethroning even the old standby from my childhood.
on November 16, 2003
i've loved this song since i heard it as a kid on a 'various artists' type comp my dad had.
been looking for it for years; finally , it's on this release.
the sound is excellent, white christmas was transferred from a very good quality commercial pressing instead of the orignal master because the original is not in good shape i guess, but the song sounds great here.
just the best Bing Crosby Christmas collection you'll find anywhere i'd say.
Bravo!
Bing Crosby sang so well everyone still remembers him as one of the greatest vocalists of the twentieth century; and this CD of Christmas time hits proves why Bing was so popular. Bing makes a Christmas song sound like a beautiful, flawless symphony.

The album has many highlights; it opens with Bing singing "It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas." Bing sings this to perfection; and the backup vocalists harmonize very well, too. "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" gives us a more traditional ballad that Bing sings without a superfluous note; and I really like "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" with Bing and The Andrews Sisters. They do it up right for "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town!" This is one number that really swings brightly.

The Christmas Carols medley works well as Bing and the backup vocalists never miss a beat; and we get a relatively hard to find "Christmas Is A Comin'." Love that backup choir on "Christmas Is A Comin'," too!

"I'll Be Home For Christmas" is easily one of my favorites; this melancholy ballad is very beautiful and Bing sings this with great sensitivity and panache. Of course, "White Christmas" follows along the same lines although I was disappointed that "White Christmas" is apparently taken from a radio recording with a fair amount of surface noise--why didn't they use the studio recording of "White Christmas?"

"Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer" is a much lighter, upbeat melody that you're sure to enjoy; and "Here Comes Santa Claus" with The Andrews Sisters continues the fun.

The artwork reflects good judgment. The liner notes themselves are nothing special but they sure are better than nothing!

I strongly recommend this CD for fans of classic Christmastime standards; and fans of Bing Crosby will be delighted to play this holiday album at Christmas time.
on January 14, 2011
We all know that White Christmas is a standard and Bing's version is known around the world. But he did other holiday songs - a LOT of others. This CD is proof of it.

This CD has 18 songs, including an alternate version of White Christmas - not the one you hear on the radio every year, but it still sounds good. A fun version of Rudolph is heard here too. Bing originally turned down the offer to do Rudolph - guess he changed his mind some years later. His version of Silver Bells as a duet (with Carole Richards) has lyrics you usually don't hear in most versions. His versions of It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas and I'll Be Home For Christmas are pretty much standards as well.

He also teams up with the Andrews Sisters for Santa Claus is Coming To Town, Here Comes Santa Claus and Jingle Bells. If you listen to the latter on Barry Manilow's first Christmas album, it sounds EXACTLY the same, note for note, lyric for lyric.

I agree with a couple of others that Christmas is a Comin' is a rare but nice song that Bing did a top notch job on. I have the Brothers Four holiday collection where they sing it. Other than them, I don't recall anyone else recording it.

If you want to hear Bing do holiday songs other than White Christmas, get this CD.
on February 1, 2014
I was really to young to appreciate Bing Crosby , but as I have gotten older and seen a lot of his movies on TCM ...I think he has a great voice ...I like the things from the past ..I have learned to appreciate good music from people who could sing ..this is relaxing and not depressing at all .
on November 2, 2009
This is a superb Christmas album with Bing Crosby's voice at its best. It's a perfect mix of some of the most touching songs like "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" with other more playful, light-hearted carols. It wouldn't be Christmas without this one.
on December 7, 2013
My favorite Christmas music artist. This album has alot of good songs. There may be a better CD of him out there, I don't know. But, I'm happy to have this one.
on January 30, 2013
I absolutly love this cd. I play this for my day care childen and they have started singing along with the songs.
on March 16, 2015