5.0 out of 5 stars Must have
Published on November 1, 2005 by Fiddle-Faddle

3.0 out of 5 stars Representative
Les Paul's technique is amazing, Mary Ford's singing is pretty good, but as a general music CD it's somewhat boring--no cut really grabbed my close attention.
Published 22 months ago by Karlius

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have, November 1, 2005
Fiddle-Faddle (Redlands, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best of the Capitol Masters: 90th Birthday Edition (Audio CD)
The recordings sound very modern. You can't tell this wasn't recorded yesterday; just listen to the samples. Les Paul had an inimitable guitar style. The man was the master, and teamed with the easy, lilting style of Mary Ford AKA (Iris) Colleen Summers (who started out in Western music), how could they not score? This music, while a product of its era, is timeless. This is perfection. This is the stuff dreams are made of. I usually review Classical music, but what can be more classic than this?

I only regret that a box set is not available, since I love everything that Les Paul and Mary Ford ever waxed. A particular favorite of mine that is missing is the Hawaiian love song, "The Moon of Manakoora". It is every bit as beautiful as the version recorded by Alfred Ahola Apaka, the crooning voice of Hawaii, and is recorded better. There are other notable omissions that I won't tire you with here, but this is the best set available until a box set is released. Absolutely wonderful music making. Curl up to the fire and warm with it; You'll love how it gets you in the mood.

5.0 out of 5 stars nedenny, July 3, 2006
This must be one of the best CD's available letting new comers to LP&MF hear some of their best tracks from the 50's and they have not dated since then. Unfortunately CAPITAL in their wisdom have omitted others which should have been included. I can name but a few:- La Rossita - Mac the Knife - Three little words - Magic Melody - Hold me in your arms - Old Mexico - What is this thing called love - Walking & Whistling Blues - I'm Jealous - By the light of the Silvery Moon - Chicken Reel. and I'm sure there's more. So it looks like we'll have to wait till Les reaches his 100th Birthday before we see a Box Set.

I am tempted to wait - that's if I can manage to live as long as Les. He's doing great, and I hope he will still be playing when he reaches 100! Well done mate!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love the music on this disc, July 13, 2007
Les Paul and his wife Mary Ford are legends in jazz music. My favorite track on this disc is "I'm Sitting On The Top Of The World." Nobody could play the electric guitar as masterfully as Les Paul. Mary Paul's voice is so sensual on the track "I'm A Fool To Care." I love this track. "Tennessee Waltz" and "Vaya Con Dios" are classic romantic tunes. These tracks makes me think of someone special. "In The Mood" is another excellent song that puts me in a great mood. "Bye Bye Blues" is an uptempo track that stands out as one of the best here. "I Really Don't Want To Know" is a pretty song. I love the tenderness in Mary Ford's voice on this track. This disc is filled with great music.

5.0 out of 5 stars A FAR GREATER LOSS TO MUSIC THAN MICHAEL JACKSON, August 13, 2009
Today we lost one of the fathers of rock & roll. The man that gave us the solid body electric guitar, multi-track recording and arguably the most iconic musical instrument of all time, the Gibson Les Paul model.

The man was a true innovator and an artist. He will be missed.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Master is Dazzling, October 3, 2007
Denise "dbcreates" (Salt Lake City Best Snow on Earth) - See all my reviews
I love this album. MF's voice is as smooth as butterscotch on hot cornmeal pancakes, and the playing by Les is unparalleled. If you're within striking distance of NYC, get thee to the Iridium club on Broadway & 51st Monday nights only to hear Mr. Paul show us how it's done. In his 90's and still bustin' a move or three on all comers. Lovely wit which shows through in his playing. I can't seem to get this out of my car---great music is great music, and this transcends most of what is available today. And when Mary Ford is singing, LP's playing does all it can to frame and showcase her lovely voice without trying to grab the spotlight. Same as on another famous recording w/Bing Crosby recently featured on the soundtrack of Ken Burns' "The War"---"It's Been A Long, Long Time". Superb guitar support for a singular voice. This album won't disappoint except it isn't long enough! Should be in the 'backbone' portion of any serious music library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classy Classic, December 21, 2007
Amazon Customer (Placerville, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I actually tried to find the original full recordings but the only thing I could find was on e-bay and it was over $100.00 for cassettes! My mom, who is 80 and had been bed-ridden remembered years ago and wished she had bought the set at $75.00. This is a great substitute. The sound is clear and crisp and there will never be another like him. (Although at this writing he is still alive) What many people don't know about Les Paul is what an inventor he was. He was the first to do double-tracking where the same person's voice is recorded over another track and he did it on wax discs! Mary Ford was one of the greatest singers of all time and probably underrated compared to her contemporaries. When you hear Tennessee Waltz you can't help thinking you are listening to Patti Page. If I have one very small gripe it is that I could have done without some of the talking but that is a small thing and may charm others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Les Paul & Mary Ford, August 28, 2007
I probably would never buy anything else by Les Paul, but I'm sure glad I bought this. Every guitar player should have a copy of this in his or her collection. Les has a guitar named after him for good reason. He was inventive, creative and talented and the recording industry owes him much! I can remember watching Les and Mary on black and white TV with my mom back in the 50's. I wasn't too impressed then, but I was only seven or eight years old. But now I'm quite aware of his impact on the music and recording industry. He certainly does have a very unique sound. You can ALWAYS tell it's Les Paul on guitar. And he's still playing gigs at 92 years old!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Top-notch single CD collection, October 6, 2007
This single CD contains all the key chart hits of Les Paul and his hits with Mary Ford. A sample from their radio show rounds out the CD. Sound is excellent. The full box is worthwhile if you want more, but this is the best place to start.

4.0 out of 5 stars Les Paul Capitol Masters, January 21, 2008
Very Good audiofidelity. Enjoyed the Les & Mary recordings more than the instrumentals however. From the historical perspective, Paul's productions are interesting also.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Les Paul and Mary Ford!, August 23, 2007
P. Brichta (Alpine, CA United States) - See all my reviews
After watching Les Paul - Chasing Sound on PBS recently (American Masters Series) I ordered this album so I could once again listen to their phenomenal talent, and I wasn't disappointed.

Thank you Les for letting me share your talent by listening and appreciating your music. I get goosebumps listening to it!