5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Christmas Book Ever
Here's a simple, enchanting tale. It's warm and funny and thoroughly unpredictable. It's published in a short and skinny book in large type and, assuming you can tear yourself away from the story, it can be read in small spurts.
Published on July 11, 2002 by R. Tiedemann

3.0 out of 5 stars Wrong book
I had expected the book version, not the children's PICTURE book version. Not explained well in the desription. The kids saw it so I kept it and ordered the BOOK version this time.
Published on December 8, 2012 by Janice A. Kennedy

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Christmas Book Ever, July 11, 2002
This review is from: The Best Christmas Pageant Ever (Paperback)
The Herdmans are absolutely and without question the worst kids "in the entire history of the world." They are guilty of evey unmentionable childhood crime and have thought of more than a few original ones. When they take over the church Christmas pageant (although none of them has ever attended church, much less heard the Christmas story before), the first Christmas becomes new and real in some pretty surprising ways.
Nevermind that the publishers call this a children's story. It isn't. The vision it has to offer is hilarious yet deeply touching in a profound yet innocent way.
Stock up on copies for Christmas gifts to teachers and friends. I'd give one to the friend who wails that Christmas has become too commercial or to the harried mother of a lively brood or to someone who dreads the holiday. And keep one for yourself because it's almost as much fun each time you read it.
Merry Christmas!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the great joys of motherhood--, November 22, 2000
This review is from: The Best Christmas Pageant Ever (Paperback)
is the opportunity to revisit your childhood.
First, Dr. Suess, then The Saggy Baggy Elephant, and now the Herdmans.
I have loved reading since I was five years old. One of my most important goals is to pass that love of books on to my two daughters. I'm no expert, but sharing books that make me happy with them seems to be a good way to start.
The Best Christmas Pageant Ever is a story about THOSE kids. You know--the ones you avoid sitting next to at Pizza Hut. The ones who show up at church once or twice a quarter, when someone brings them. The ones you feel sorry for but secretly compare to your own kids to make yourself feel good about how well-mannered, smart, attractive your kids are.
THOSE kids, the Herdmans, show us that Christmas isn't just about our own families and our safe, secure homes, but about THOSE kids--the unwanted, nasty, obnoxious, dirty kids with whom we don't want our kids associating.
The point of the story is that we should open our eyes and see them as Jesus saw the little children and open our heart to love even the barely lovable.
This story is one that will grow with your children. As they mature, you can help them get more and more out of this story. It's definitely a repeat from one holiday season to the next. I would recommend getting the hardback version so that it will last longer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun for all ages!, December 6, 1999
P. O'Kray (Stevens Point, Wisconsin) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Christmas Pageant Ever (Paperback)
My Dad and his wife sent my family this book for Christmas one year, and I read it at bedtime to my 7 year old son and 9 year old daughter. Although we were only going to read a chapter every night, they begged me to keep reading, and I didn't want to stop, either. The Herdman children give us a fresh perspective on the traditional Christmas story, and show us that anyone can be touched by the true meaning of Christmas. A story that young and old can relate to, it made us all laugh and some of us cry. I plan to read this book every year,out loud. A wonderful, touching story. Only one word of warning - there are a handful of "naughty" words in this story, since the Herdman children are a bit rude. You can substitute something more suitable as you read to children, but don't pass by this great story because of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best children's book I've ever read!, March 2, 2000
By A Customer
I didn't read this book until I was 32 years old and it made my day! I laughed so hard that I thought that I was going to hurt something. I loved the Herdmans because I grew up with a lot of kids like them. I now know why this is a classic that will continue on long after I'm gone. Ms. Robinson did a fantastic job of incorperating humor in many, many poignant moments. I laughed reading every page until the last two or three when the tears came. You couldn't help but be deeply touched by how, for a few brief moment, the Herdmans cleaned up their act to tell the wonderful story of Christmas in their own special way. I had the opportunity to spend a day with Ms. Robinson last year and let me tell you all, it was the experience of a lifetime. She's a fantastic lady who is absolutely incredible with children.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Christmas Book Ever., December 16, 2001
slomamma (San Luis Obispo, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Christmas Pageant Ever (Paperback)
I've been collecting children's Christmas books for seventeen years, since my oldest child was a baby, adding a few more to the collection each year, but without a doubt this is the best one I have. I first read it when my oldest was six and I've re-read it every Christmas since, and not only have I never gotten tired of it, but I can't imagine Christmas without it.
The story is about a church Christmas pageant in which the Herdmans, the wildest, toughest kids in town, move in and take over the main parts. Mary smokes cigars. The Wise Men steal. And the Angel of the Lord is more likely to smack the shepherds in the teeth than bring good news. Everyone in the church is scandalized, of course, but trying to fit the totally unsuitable Herdmans into their Biblical roles makes for one hilarious story after another. When you can get an adult and a six year old laughing out lout at the same things, you know you've got a special children's book.
If all this book had was its humor, it would be a treat, but it is a lot more than that. Under all the great jokes is another more moving story. The Herdman kids are hearing the story of Jesus' birth for the first time, and their reactions Ñ shock that anyone would put a baby in a feeding trough, fury at Herod's attempt to kill the baby, amazement at the angel's miraculous appearance to the shepherds Ñ renew the meaning of the story for those of us who have heard it hundreds of times. Little by little they become more and more effected by the story and it changes them.
In the end, this is not just a funny book, but a powerful story of redemption. Through most of the book, I can't stop laughing, but by the end I am always reading through tears, even after having read it eleven times.

4.0 out of 5 stars 4th graders from Raleigh,NC think that the Herdmens are wild, March 5, 1999
By A Customer
We think the Best Christmas Pageant Ever was outrageous and crazy. Anybody who loves Christmas stories will love this book.The Best Christmas Pageant Ever was a great book. If the Herdmans were alive, they would be the worst kids in the history of all time. The Herdmans dressed like Indians, and they smoked cigars. They were so mean they had poison ivy bushes. Beware of the cat! People say that the Herdmans went up to the mountains and caught a bobcat. The cat has one eye and a broken tail and one short leg. Once Claude Herdman emptied the whole first grade in three minutes flat when Claude took the Herdmans cat to Show and Tell. He did not feed the cat for two days, and the cat was already mad. Then Claude carried the cat in school in a box. The Herdmans invaded a helpless church to steal food. Then they take over the Christmas pageant of the season. In this book The Best Christmas Pageant Ever you never know what the Herdmans will do next!

4.0 out of 5 stars A review of The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, May 20, 2005
A Kid's Review
This review is from: The Best Christmas Pageant Ever (Paperback)
The Best Christmas Pageant Ever is one of my favorite books I have ever read because of the Hermans. They lie, curse, burn stuff, and all the bad things one can do. One time they set fire to a building accidentally and when the firemen came the Herman's stole their donuts. They hear about a Christmas play with refreshments, so they join. So all seven crazy kids join and the play becomes a complete catastrophe. They don't even know the story of how Jesus was born so they had to tell them all of it. The Hermans all have the important parts in the play. The Hermans are so crazy they brought their one eyed cat to school which ripped and attacked everyone. This is a great book about how 7 crazy kids learn the true meaning of Christmas.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Christmas BOOK Ever!!, August 3, 2005
A Kid's Review
Although one of the older books,"The Best Christmas Pageant Ever"is a great book to read.

Imogene and the rest of her family [The Herdmans]

are the worst kids ever known.They are so bad the teachers dont even let them stay back a year in school.

So no one can believe it when they get mixed up with the church christ mas pageant.

As you can imagine this turns out to be ca hilarious story and you never know whats going tohappen next.A great book for ages 8 +.(melanie age 11)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great Story for the whole family, April 9, 2004
This review is from: The Best Christmas Pageant Ever (Paperback)
I first read this story when I was in gradeschool. Actually the teacher read it to us. Over 10 years later when I saw it at a used book store, I instantly picked up a copy and I don't have any kids. I re-read it myself and will read it every Christmas Season. It's about the Herdmans and the Christmas Pageant. The Herdmans are the worst kids in the history of the world and they end up as part of the pageant.
The pageant is about the Birth of Jesus which the Herdmans know nothing about. It's a very funny story throughout and a very touching story at the end. You don't really have to be Christian to enjoy this little story. I'm not and I love the story. I definitely recommend it to almost every family as a story to be read year after year. As your kids grow, perhaps they can read it to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Christmas Pagent Ever!, September 29, 2001
This review is from: The Best Christmas Pageant Ever (Paperback)
This book tells a wonderful story of how 6 kids on child well-fair become the new meaning of christmas. By finally understanding the REAL meaning of Christmas by living it. They may not be the most liked kids on the block, but they sure do give you a laugh. It all starts when Grace's son Charlie says they get lots of dessert at sunday school, and then all the Heardmans start coming to Sunday School. Because they are so tough, not one person but the Heardmans have the leads. The oldest Heardman, Imajean, plays Mary, and the rest take all the other parts. Everyone in the neighbourhood shows up to see what happens. If you want to find out what happens, read the book or rent the movie!
All in all this book is a wonderful book, and i have nothing but good things to say about it.

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever
The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson (Paperback - April 12, 2005)
$5.99 $4.24