Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

on July 30, 2004
20th Century Masters- The Best of Cream(2000). Cream's Second Compilation.

Throughout the Late 60's, Cream, one of Rock's finest Rock Trios, emerged on the fledging Rock Music scene. After leaving the Yardbirds, legendary guitarist Eric Clapton teamed up with Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker to shell out some of the finest Blues Rock albums ever, from Cream's Psychadelic debut,'Fresh Cream', to the huge success of 'Disraeli Gears', and the finale of 'Goodbye'. Throughout the years, Cream has been remembered for huge hits such as 'Sunshine Of Your Love' and 'White Room', plus numerous other hit singles, so it's no surprise that 20th Century Masters has released a compilation for Cream. So, like every other 20th Century Masters compilation, does this one suck, or is surprisingly good for someone on a budget? Read on to find out!

PROS-

-CASUAL FANS GET ALL OF CREAMS BIGGEST HITS!- Here you can find such huge hits as 'I Feel Free', 'N.S.U.','Sunshine Of Your Love', 'White Room', and 'Crossroads'.

-YOU GET UNDERRATED MASTERPIECES TOO!- On this compilation you get such underrated Cream masterpieces as 'Sweet Wine', 'Spoonful', 'Strange Brew', 'Tales of Brave Ulysses', 'Politician', and 'Badge' for your listening pleasure.

-CHEAP!- Most stores have clearanced the 20th Century Masters compilations, so you can find them for very cheap prices.

-INCLUDES TRACKS FROM EVERY CREAM ALBUM!- The listener gets tracks from 'Fresh Cream', 'Wheels of Fire', 'Disraeli Gears', and 'Goodbye', making this a career-spanning retrospective!

CONS-

-MISSING WAY TOO MANY SONGS!- Like most 20th Century Masters compilations, there are way too many songs missing, such as "SWALBR," "Anyone for Tennis," "Wrapping Paper," "I'm So Glad," "Doing That Scrap Yard Thing," , and so many more!

-ONLY 40 MINUTES LONG!- As usual, 20th Century Masters feels it needs to infuriate the buyer by only filling up HALF the time they could have, and put so many more songs in!

-OTHER CREAM COMPILATIONS ARE TONS BETTER!- 'The Cream of Clapton' and 'The Very Best of Cream' are significantly better than 20th Century Masters-The Best of Cream, and for shelling out a few more dollars, you could get twice the amount of music that's here, making this compilation inferior.

Overall, '20th Century Masters- The Best of Cream' is only for casual fans who only want Cream's biggest hits, and are on an extreme budget. This compilation is missing way too many songs, and 'The Very Best of Cream' and 'The Cream of Clapton' put this one to shame.

NOT RECOMMENDED! INSTEAD PICK UP 'THE VERY BEST OF CREAM' OR 'THE CREAM OF CLAPTON', BECAUSE THEY AREN'T NEARLY AS SCATTERSHOT AS THIS AND YOU GET A LOT MORE FOR YOUR MONEY!

Recommended Instead-

The Very Best of Cream- Cream

Disraeli Gears-Cream

Mrs. Johnson and Me- Eric Clapton

Thanks For Reading!
11 comment21 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 16, 2001
Against my better judgement, I bought this record to be my first foray into Cream (I'm fourteen, so I'm still catching up on rock's golden years). Despite my reservations after buying the '20th Century Masters' disc of The Who - a disc that, despite the good music had poor track selection, was too short and had only a one page, poorly written biography - I went ahead and bought the same series of disc, only of not The Who, but of Cream. After all, I was saving nearly $15 by buying this one as opposed to 'Strange Brew' or one of the other complete greatest hits discs available. But, my bargain hunting mode just kicked in, and I bought the '20th Century Masters' greatest hits instead of one of the others. As soon as I got the receipt, I was kicking myself.
You see, apparantly the big thing these days for the big multi-million dollar corporations is ripping off it's customers - in most cases the customers that have been loyal to them from day one, even the ones who stood by them during the entire music software deal (like me). I have no problem with record companies' normal purpose, but when they begin doing something like this, it becomes mildly disheartening. They even have the formula for doing it down pat. Take a band's real greatest hits disc, drop everything but the MEGA hits, add a poorly written one page biography (complete, often with historical inaccuracies), and slap the thing onto a bargain bin shelf for $7.99 (Cdn.).
The music itself, however, shines through all this. This being my introduction to Cream other than a couple of covers of 'Sunshine Of Your Love' by Jimi Hendrix that I've heard on his BBC Sessions disc (as well as a few concert bootlegs, but we're not going to delve into detail), I was quite impressed. Although, I admit, at first, only three or four songs actually impressed me. But, alas, I'm seldom accurate on my first listen, so I went back and went through it a few more times.
After I did this, I realized that there were more than just a few great songs. To be fair, nearly everything on the CD is excellent. Eric Clapton shines on the guitar, varying his approach to it throughout - sometimes playing it straight and sometimes drenching it in wah. Jack Bruce's bass and vocals are also excellent, as are Ginger Baker's drums. From the first to the final track, the music speaks for itself. Powerful, emotive, and superbly entertaining music from the music world's first power trio.
However, everything else, like I've mentioned isn't so bright. The one page biography of the band is written fairly poorly, and, if I'm not mistaken, contains one or more inaccuracies. The few photos displayed through the liner notes are also poorly selected, with most (if not all) of them stemming from the band's original albums themselves.
In addition, the song selection is poor. The band had a lot more great songs that were dropped from this release. I just wonder to myself how in the hell one greatest hits album can have 17 or so songs, while this one has 11. Is the definition of 'greatest hits' broadened? I don't quite know the way the record companies set it up, but I'm sure that a band like Cream had more than 11 hits ( although I don't exactly know, because after all, I wasn't around thirty years ago).
Do yourselves a favour, and stay away from this release. It's nothing more than a blatent attempt to garner a couple extra bucks from the dull (i.e. me) record buying populace. Like I said, don't give these guys the satisfaction of knowing that their stupid plan worked. It's best to stay away and invest in a legitimate Cream hits disc anyways.
on June 29, 2005
I never really thought of Eric Clapton as a 'heavy-metal' guitar player, but then again that term meant something else back when these records first came out. Also, Jack Bruce is a pretty good singer, and the melodic poetry of the lyrics and the mostly understandable renditions shocked me from what was supposed to be a hard and heavy group. My favorite song is "Crossroads"-that's just ultimate must-have blues. "White Room" and "Badge" are cool too, and I remember the days when KLOU 103.3 used to play these tracks as rock'n'roll oldies--well, those days psychedelia didn't hold any connotations, so it was all good. I just wish we could get all those great oldies back, but I think they are starting to. This disc has a beautiful sound, and I kind of like Cream better than the Who now, but please don't confuse Eric Clapton with Jimi Hendrix. (Okay, they're both great, but...)
on April 20, 2008
I generally try to stay away from the 20th Century Masters series. On the whole they are cheap and incomplete. But this one is the exception. This CD hits all of Cream's big hits, including "Crossroads," "I Feel Free" and "Sunshine of Your Love." I think it helps that Cream was only together for a short time, so they didn't have that much material in the first place. Therefore even the 20th Century Masters people could pull off a decent compilation. On the whole I would recommend this CD for new or casual fans. More advanced Cream listeners won't find anything new or surprising here. I also recommend picking up a live album, such as the two volumes of "Live Cream" or the reunion concert.
on January 2, 2006
Cream is a good band. Their career was all too short, yet they created some of the best music. Like other 20th Century Masters collections, this one is short, and is missing quite a few hit songs. However, every song on here is good, and each album is represented. "I Feel Free" and "Spoonful" are my favorite tracks. So here is what I recommend: if you are just getting into Cream, let this be your first CD. If you like what you hear, dig deeper later. If you are already a huge Cream fan, skip this one, for there are better Cream compilations out there.
on April 21, 2007
This band had a unique sound.I originaly got into this band because Kiss always mentioned this band as one of their favorite bands.As i am a huge Kiss fan,i am curious at time to listen to their musical origins.

I knew Sunshine of your love and White Room.But the rest were not known at all to me.So i decided to get a copy of their best.

Man i was not disappointed.Got right into it and couldnt stop playing it.Some songs seem to be addictive,probably recorded them on tapes made out of hippy weed.

This collection is a must for fans of Clapton, Bruce, and Baker and the great rock of the late 60s. .Great stuff this,and i reccommend this band.
on April 8, 2000
It replaces it's previously Strange Brew: The Very Best Of from 1983 a bare bone collection compilation with a mixed version to the studio and live tracks on it no doubt. Since it is out of print in the U.S. But not here from Canada still available on CD & cassette where I live. Great song classics like "Sunshine Of Your Love", "I Feel Free" and "Crossroads". By one of the 20th centuries most popular british psychedelic groups of all-time ever formed as CREAM with Eric Clapton, Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker. A great millennium masters series. But I also recommend is The Very Best complete anthology just in case if you might change your mind!
on October 3, 2005
When you look at it, Cream is the perfect band for a Millennium Collection. They are truly Twentieth Century Masters, and their career was brief enough to cover in just a few tracks. Every song included here is truly classic, which is nice as Best of Cream had a couple lesser tracks (Wrapping Paper, I'm So Glad) that are left off here. I understand the Millennium Collections tend to be short, but where's Swablr? But the tracks are strong (particullarly Crossroads, White Room, N.S.U and Sunshine of Your Love), and the cover photo's a lot better than Best Of's trippy one.
on September 7, 2004
In short, believe all the comments in the other reviews giving this CD a negative review, and be advised of at least one additional "ugly" trait of this CD:

The first song ("I Feel Free") is EDITED, and does not contain the complete track. Quite a dirty trick, don't you think ?

STAY AWAY from any of the "20th Century Masters" CDs. Buy from a reputable label.
on July 17, 2002
Against my better judgement, I bought this record to be my first foray into Cream (I'm fourteen, so I'm still catching up on rock's golden years). Despite my reservations after buying the '20th Century Masters' disc of The Who - a disc that, despite the good music had poor track selection, was too short and had only a one page, poorly written biography - I went ahead and bought the same series of disc, only of not The Who, but of Cream. After all, I was saving nearly [money] by buying this one as opposed to 'Strange Brew' or one of the other complete greatest hits discs available. But, my bargain hunting mode just kicked in, and I bought the '20th Century Masters' greatest hits instead of one of the others. As soon as I got the receipt, I was kicking myself.
You see, apparantly the big thing these days for the big multi-million dollar corporations is ripping off it's customers - in most cases the customers that have been loyal to them from day one, even the ones who stood by them during the entire music software deal (like me). I have no problem with record companies' normal purpose, but when they begin doing something like this, it becomes mildly disheartening. They even have the formula for doing it down pat. Take a band's real greatest hits disc, drop everything but the MEGA hits, add a poorly written one page biography (complete, often with historical inaccuracies), and slap the thing onto a bargain bin shelf for [money] (Cdn.).
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse