Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Amethyst Jewelry Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

Format: DVDChange

on November 19, 2013
Bring your tissues ...The "Best Man Holiday" was way more than I expected it to be. This is the best movie of the year, in my opinion, but I don't think it's really appropriate for children so don't let the "Holiday" part fool you. This is a very underrated cast of actors and actresses because these people have been in the game for a while now, but they still are not as respected as they should be for the superb thespians that they are. All of the original stars from the first movie have returned, and this one was even better than the first. I saw "The Best Man" fifteen years ago, and I loved it then, so this sequel was long overdue. Stars include: Taye Diggs (Harper), Terrance Howard (Quentin), Morris Chestnut (Lance), Harold Perrineau, Jr (Julian), Nia Long (Jordan), Regina Hall (Candace), Monica Calhoun (Mia), Sanaa Lathan (Robin), Melissa DeSousa (Shelby), and new cast member Eddie Cibrian (Brian). This movie had a deeper story that was way more serious than the first film. It's about pride, loyalty, family, friendship, and understanding that everyone needs somebody at some point in their lives.

This movie picks right up where the first one left off, and it brings you up to speed about where these characters have been all this time. I thought that was a clever move because it's clear that a lot has happened. Harper and Robin got married, and are expecting their first child, and clearly you can tell there is some tension in their relationship due to fertility problems as well as financial issues. Candance and Julian have gotten married, and they have two daughters, but Candace still can't escape the consequences of her old profession, and it is brought up a lot that she used to be a stripper, but Shelby is also still a major problem for both of them. Shelby is back, and she's now a reality show television star which is a perfect job for Shelby since she's so overdramatic, but she's also divorced with a daughter of her own now. However, while she continues stirring the pot with Candance and Julian she has bigger problems than she realizes. Jordan, the careerwoman, is back, but this time she has a boyfriend who surprises everybody by being just a little bit lighter than what they were expecting. Jordan's strength, as well as her control issues continue to keep her from obtaining happiness, but she soon realizes that she doesn't have it all. Quentin is still single, lewd, crude, and perhaps one of the realest characters ever, but I was pleased to see that he could also be a serious character with a soft side. Terrance Howard MADE this movie for me! Lastly, Lance and Mia are still married, they now have four children, and Lance is still playing pro-football better than ever, but after a while it becomes clear that they needed to get the old crew back together for a reason, and it is shocking.

I absolutely loved the cameos by Anthony Hamilton and Marsha Ambrosius, and if you saw the first film, you'll totally see the significance behind the song they are singing, and if you are familiar with the music you'll love the soundtrack as well because there are great songs from different R&B stars. I can't say enough good things about this movie. This is a must see!
33 comments84 of 85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 18, 2013
This movie captures your attention from start to finish and is better than the first movie. A must see and I have already pre- ordered it.
0Comment33 of 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 20, 2013
This was the BEST holiday movie I've ever seen!!! It captures all of your emotions, very funny, sad and happy.
0Comment21 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon November 25, 2013
So this fellow had written a fictitious book inspired by events in his own life... When the old group gathered for a wedding, friends questioned how much of that book was really fiction and how much was actual fact. Oops! That was the premise of "The Best Man" in 1999. Now we have a sequel which takes place 15 years later. And yes, the plot has thickened ...but those old hurts still haven't gone away.

Our little bunch has never been so witty or so appealing; the dialogue is racy, raunchy and very, very funny (the delighted audience laughed out loud over and over again). Religion unabashedly plays a big part in the plot and it is used with NO irony or derision, so we see successful middle- class families who attend church, pray together, and raise polite well- mannered children who sing religious songs at family gatherings. This is a feel-good movie with a huge principal cast, so I must limit this to just a few.

They are:
* Taye Diggs ("Baggage Claim") is Harper, that selfsame author, back on the prowl again in quest of a topic for a new book. Since his first book's middling success, he seems to be in a sophomore slump. (He was The Best Man 15 years ago.)
* Sanaa Lathan ("The Cleveland Show") is his wife Robyn, finally due to have a baby (Harper has a low sperm count); problem is, it's breach so she's scheduled for a C-section right after the holidays.
* Morris Chestnut ("Ladder 49") is Lance, our Alpha dog: a pro football player, a devoted husband, and a loving father of four (he was the groom 15 years ago). Mr. Chestnut says he doesn't take his shirt off in every film, but I am happy to report that in this one he DOES!
* Monica Calhoun (Lots of TV) is Mia, Lance's adored wife and mother to his four children. (She was the bride 15 years ago.) In that crucial football game she watches with her youngsters, we see something that resembles a rugby scrum rather than a traditional football play.
* Terrence Howard ("Prisoners") is Quentin, a successful but wayward friend who is always in the middle of everything. I have never seen Mr. Howard so funny!
* Nia Long ("House of Lies") is an executive with a successful book publishing company. She wants her author to write a biography of a football player who just happens to be a personal friend.

This R-rated outing contains sexual situations (not all the characters are devoted Christians) but stresses the importance of friendship, loyalty and trust. Expect plenty of profanity, lots of anatomical discussions, a girl fight, plus a time to laugh and a time to weep.

All in all, this is a nice emotional workout for everyone; that's why movies are made, isn't it? Kudos to writer/director Malcolm D Lee ("Welcome Home, Roscoe Jenkins"). A happy and enthusiastic screening audience exited the theater Tuesday night. I'll notify my JayFlix.net folks when Amazon releases the DVD.
0Comment23 of 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 30, 2013
Great Sequel !!!!!This movie re-introduces each character to the audience. You will laugh, cry, ..... it captured every emotion that I could think of..... great movie all around..... I was actually very impressed. I have never seen a sequel that is better than the first movie .
on November 25, 2013
I loved this movie. It was one of the best movies I've seen in a while. It was funny and heart-warming. I laughed and I cried, then I laughed and cried again. Quentin (Terrence Howard) was hilarious). I thought the first movie was my favorite, but this one just added to it. I have seen it twice. This will definitely be in my collection. Go see it and you haven't already.
0Comment18 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 23, 2013
This movie crossed all racial barriers because everyone would be able to relate to this cast/characters and subject matters. The chemistry of this cast of characters is so superb they draw you into the emotions of their lives. We either know people or have family members that are experiencing the same issues as portrayed in this movie. It's nice to see a group of friends "really having each others back". The love and friendship they share with each other comes across in this movie. You will laugh and cry and really feel you have lost a true friend. I loved the original "The Best Man" and the love they shared in that movie is still there in this one. I wish more movies like this one were being made. I am looking forward to it coming out on DVD.
0Comment13 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 28, 2014
This was hands down the best movie in 2013. I recommend this to everyone. True love and friendship at its best.
on January 29, 2014
I didnt think Best Man could get any better, but the cast came back with a movie that will have you cringing, singing and hinging on every scene.

I truly enjoyed the follow up to this movie and I highly recommend to friends no matter what color you are.

I'm so glad Hollywood is pushing out good quality movies of AA variety that you can be proud of and I cannot wait for the next installment... and there will be another one because after the credits (Terrance Howard) character comes with another shocker!

Must must watch!!
on April 1, 2014
I wanted to start by stating that I really did enjoy this movie. I rated it 3-stars because while it was enjoyable, there were still some plot issues and at times some members of the cast seemed to be little more than slight caricatures of themselves in the original movie from 15 years ago (Shelby comes instantly to mind when I write this). Also, some of the main plot points seemed a bit forced for dramatic effect.

But while it isn't a perfect sequel, it is indeed a very worthy one. It was nice to catch up with these characters 15 years later in their lives and learn what they've been up to and who they've become. While not giving anything away, it is safe to say that some are not who you'd expect them to be, and others are where you'd think they would be in their lives. One of the key characters' emotional maturity and growth was very refreshing, as evidenced by one scene in particular that I dare anyone to watch without becoming a least a little bit emotional.

In conclusion, I found The Best Man Holiday a warm, often funny, but equally tear-jerking affair, that could have done with a little less of the heaviness and a bit more of the lightness and camaraderie that made the original so endearing to so many. But would I recommend it? Absolutely, yes. Just make sure that you view it with a box of hankies nearby!