4.0 out of 5 stars An older John Denver
An older John Denver is not necessarily a lesser John Denver. If you grew up listening to his music, then his voice will sound slightly different. What you hear is a more mature John Denver as this was recorded in the mid-1990s (produced in September 1996).
Published on July 25, 2002 by Jeffrey Leeper

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware! Rerecorded (mentioned in small print)
The only thing that saves this CD is the very low price. Other than that, it's a collection of inferior rerecordings of his greatest hits (look for the very small print on the back). Stick with the original greatest hits collections or find a collection that is not so slyly described.
Published on February 15, 2000 by Erik Vitols

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware! Rerecorded (mentioned in small print), February 15, 2000
Erik Vitols (San Antonio, TX) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars An older John Denver, July 25, 2002
This review is from: The Best of John Denver (Audio CD)
This is just the music. The sleeve for the CD just has the cover art; there are no lyrics, pictures, or notes to read or reminisce over. I wish that had been included given his death.
"Rocky Mountain High," "Sunshine on my Shoulders," "Thank God I'm a Country Boy," "Annie's Song (You Fill up My Senses)," "Take Me Home, Country Roads," "Windsong," and "Leaving on a Jet Plane" are all part of this collection. Given his maturity at this recording, you will hear these classics from a different perspective. It is worth the listen, especially at this price.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST OF JOHN DENVER, January 5, 2000
JAY BELL (SACRAMENTO,CALIFORNIA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best of John Denver (Audio CD)
SINCE J.D. DIED THERE HAS BEEN A LOT OF RELEASES TITLED THE BEST OF ECT. MOST OF THEM ARE RE-RELEASES OF HIS EARLY HITS BUT ALL THE ORIGINAL RECORDINGS.IF YOU HAD THE GOOD FORTUNE OF SEEING JOHN IN CONCERT IN THE LAST FEW YEARS HE WAS WITH US AND HEARD HOW PURE AND STRONG HIS VOICE WAS AND HOW HE JUST MASTERED EVERY SONG AND HIT AND SUSTAINED EVERY NOTE HE SANG,THEN THIS IS THE CD FOR YOU!EVERY SONG IS EXACTELY SUNG LIKE HE WAS PERFORMING THEM IN THE LAST FEW YEARS OF HIS LIFE.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the greatest underrated artists!, June 25, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Best of John Denver (Audio CD)
I love John Denver. It took me years to say that but as I look back on this singer I realize I was tainted by others poor opinion of him and his music. Now I do my thinking for myself and realize I was missing out on a great artist. His songs are touching and his voice of no real equal. Listening to Annie's Song fills me with such a lush, loving sentiment. Leaving on a Jet Plane could rival any pop song of today. It's a wonder why no one covers John Denver songs. They're missing out. John was an artist that leaned towards folk and country music but transcended those genres. His music will live on long after his death to capture other generations of music fans. Myself being twenty four years of age, I can only hope my generation will realize what a talent he was. He was just one of the finest singers and guitar players of his day - as well as an underrated songwriter. Buy this CD and experience the magic of John Denver. This was an artist who truly believed in what he wrote. Indeed, John writes "I knew he'd be a poor man if he never saw an eagle fly." Well, we'd be poor people if we never heard John sing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fresh, powerful voice, and crisp guitar work!, June 19, 1999
This review is from: The Best of John Denver (Audio CD)
I am listening to this disk even as I write this. The first time I played it, I was disappointed that the versions were "wrong". It only took a couple of plays through to reverse my disappointment, though. I really like the mature voice and exuberant energy John put into this collection, and yet it's contemplative. It's like going to a little nightclub for an impromptu concert, (even though it's not a "live" album). "Rocky Mountain High" comes off powerful! I recommend it and by the way, look at the price! Not to mention the kool picture on the cover. Buy it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Best of John Denver, January 14, 2000
This review is from: The Best of John Denver (Audio CD)
The tracks on this CD are re-recordings

5.0 out of 5 stars What's wrong with re-doing your own songs?, October 2, 2001
michael kawamoto (san diego, ca United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best of John Denver (Audio CD)
Was looking for the original "greatest hits" by John Denver; saw this at the store, couldn't pass it up because of the price. I'm old enough to remember when his songs were over-played on AM radio. I'm surprised at all the bad reviews because John Denver went back to the studio to re-do these songs. There is nothing wrong with the sound quality, instrumental backing or John's voice. To me, it's kind of nice to hear slightly different arrangements of the songs I've heard so many times on the radio. What puts this CD in the 5 star category for me are the songs that I had never heard before. Especially the sad love songs "Perhaps Love" and "Seasons of the Heart". These are great, sad, but beautiful songs. I would imagine John wrote these when he was in the process of divorce. None of the songs that were big hits for him had such a sad, personal viewpoint of the pain of breaking up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart and Soul, November 24, 1999
Mary C. Wallen (Statesboro, Georgia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best of John Denver (Audio CD)
John does not hesitate to let his feelings flow through his music. You can feel his pain when singing the songs he wrote for his wife. I listen to this CD often while taking a bubble bath and contemplating on my life and where it is going. It is a very uplifting CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Great!, February 2, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Best of John Denver (Audio CD)
The Best of John Denver CD proved to be one of the best displays of John Denver's Classics. I listen to this album frequently and i enjoy it every time. I am disapointed though that i bought this one and not a different one. The one called "The Best of John Denver Live" has a greater selection of his songs. I wish I could have realised that one when I purchased this one. Because The Best of John Denver Live" has more variety of songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars A mature Denver sings his best songs and fans will love it!, July 20, 1998
This review is from: The Best of John Denver (Audio CD)
If you are a long-term John Denver fan, you will recognize a maturity in his voice that is refreshing. The arrangements appear to have been updated. My particular favorites on this CD are track 2, "Perhaps Love" and track 6, "For You". This is classic John Denver that I will miss.

The Best of John Denver
The Best of John Denver by John Denver (Audio CD - 1998)
Rate and Discover Movies