Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Best of Lidia
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

TOP 100 REVIEWERon February 7, 2010
If you are a fan of Lidia B. ( I always misspell her last name) the NY restaurateur and celebrity chef on PBS, you'll probably want to get this DVD which combines highlights of her series called "Lidia's Italy". Each of the televised shows covered a complete meal from appetizer to dessert. Here the producers re-edited it so you get a grouping of appetizer, then entrees and then desserts. You can watch Lidia change her clothes - or even try to match three courses by remembering what she wore! - as you go through the courses. There are brief scenes of regions of Italy as Lidia tells you where a certain dish originated.

Unlike many TV celebrity chefs, Lida is not big on providing details. When she says "we'll add a little butter" it can be a half-stick or a half-pound. A "little olive oil" can vary a lot. As for cooking times, they are rarely given and the show is not presented in real time. "Let's put in the oven until cooked" is a typical comment. (To be fair the DVD does have the recipes as .pdf files to print out but watching her doesn't always show you how to do it.).

Most of the recipes are what Lidia calls "simple" but you may not have just two sage leaves lying around. And the baked apples are a bit more complicated because you need to make a cherry sauce as well as a chocolate sauce. (None of her dishes is low in calories or fat; I warn you.)

I did have to laugh as we got to what has to be the simplest recipe here. It's called "sausage with grapes". Ready for Lydia's recipe? Here it is:

1. Brown Italian link sausages in a frying pan
2. Add some green grapes and continue cooking
3. Place on a plate and serve

Yep, that's it! For this you need her to demonstrate it?

So, its an entertaining video, but not as useful as it could be. Again, if you know and love Lidia, you'll want this to relive the episodes you remember. I watch her periodically and enjoy her NY restaurants, especially Becco - the pasta one - but I probably won't revisit this DVD very much as I do with Julia Child's classic DVDs.

Steve Ramm
on March 13, 2010
The Best of Lidia is a DVD collection some of the most beloved recipes by public television chef Lidia Matticchio Bastianich, best known for her sumptuous Italian cooking that the whole family can enjoy. The Best of Lidia features recipes from Lidia's travels across Italy, from zesty starters to quick pastas, main courses, and desserts fit for a prince! A wonderful addition to culinary DVD libraries, The Best of Lidia lives up to its title with easy-to-follow instructions for preparing delicious recipes, and is highly recommended for aspiring chefs of all skill and experience levels. 85 minutes, widescreen, closed captioned.
on August 11, 2012
I have learned so much from this amazing Chef!
She should never retire from her PBS series.
Is it any wonder that my guests love my dinner
parties! I copy all of Lydia's dishes, and she
knows her food! What an artist she is!
on January 6, 2013
it is very poor info on that dvd ! need more recepies ! I am a cook myself not a dvd colector , therefore I need dvd-s with more recepies on it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have two book from Lidia with over 300 recepies , and I need those on dvd !
on June 6, 2013
A variety of recipes, tips and more. Lidia is the best. If you love cooking you will love this dvd.
on March 21, 2015
NOt many recipes, Not as good as the TV show, ...Not as comprehensive as her cookbooks
on December 17, 2013
Lidia's cookbooks are the best! I love the way she gives directions. I combine the cookbooks with any of her videos on the same recipe. Each recipe has been delicious. THANKS LIDIA!
on May 22, 2015
Lidia's techniques are easy to understand and master, she removes all or any mystery from Italian cooking, and gives the viewer many guidelines by which to follow.
on January 7, 2012
A pleasure to watch, easy to understand and very easy to follow. I especially love the inter action of nonna ! i wish the dvd was longer will buy more.
on May 20, 2014
Simple, easy to follow directions from a great cook. I am not Italian but we wanted to try some recipes and Lidia gave us a good jump off point.