5.0 out of 5 stars A solid representation of Minnie's work
Published on February 22, 2000 by Mogue

3.0 out of 5 stars Gone much too soon, Minnie Riperton is not forgotten...
Published on June 29, 1998

5.0 out of 5 stars A solid representation of Minnie's work, February 22, 2000
Mogue (Honolulu, HI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best of Minnie Riperton (Audio CD)
Minnie Riperton sings with a sweetness and innocence of an excited child, yet can also turn a phrase in such a way that the listener understands her depth and her maturity. Since I have not been able to locate all of Minnie's releases on CD format, this compilation provides a wonderful portrait of the artist. "Can You Feel What I'm Saying" and "Stay in Love" are two of the most romantic songs I have ever heard, and Minnie's interpretation of "Light My Fire" (with Jose Feliciano) burns with heat. Of course, I wish every song by Minnie were on this CD, (I long to hear "Edge of a Dream" and "Never Existed Before") but I realize that this is not possible. This CD is a wonderful trip down "Memory Lane," and reminds me that the perfect angel's music lives on. I hear Minnie sing, and once again I believe in heaven...

5.0 out of 5 stars Minnie Lives......., May 1, 2001
Patrice J. Jackson (San Antonio, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best of Minnie Riperton (Audio CD)
In 1979, Heaven took back a gift that was loaned to us for only a short time. That gift was Minnie Riperton. Although she is gone, in the physical sense at least, the voice of this 'Perfect Angel' and her legacy live on.
This CD is filled with playful songs, seductive songs, sing-a-long songs, and love songs. The sexiest joint on this CD is "Can You Feel What I'm Saying", which is also a song that makes me feel a lot better after a bad day. Minnie's voice has a way of making you want to smile, sing, cry- all at the same time. The child-like innocence in her voice is what makes her sound playful, yet the intensity and depth in it, makes her sound like a seductive siren.
"Here We Go", "Memory Lane", "Inside My Love" and "Perfect Angel" are all gems, along with other tracks, but there is something about "Simple Things" that is almost angelic. The jazzy/latin sounding rhythm makes you want to sway from side to side. And in the song, "Take My Breath Away", (which sounds like Donny Hathaway singing in the background) she sings of things that are all around us like, "a tree/ a rock, a cloud/ a sky blue day", which we take for granted, but in them, she saw them as things that 'took her breath away'.
May God bless the soul of Minnie Riperton, the same way she blessed our ears with wonderful music, and our hearts with her very presence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Minnie Riperton, April 19, 2000
This review is from: The Best of Minnie Riperton (Audio CD)
THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER MINNIE RIPERTON! AS A YOUNG GIRL, I CAN REMEMBER SINGING AND LOVING HER SONGS. MINNIE WILL LIVE ON FOREVER, NOT ONLY IN THIS COMPILATION BUT, ALSO IN MY HEART! I AM STILL"LOVING YOU", MINNIE! GOD BLESS!

3.0 out of 5 stars Gone much too soon, Minnie Riperton is not forgotten..., June 29, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: The Best of Minnie Riperton (Audio CD)
I listened to this CD again just before writing this, and I recommend the same to anyone making any music reviews in general. On the way to refreshing my memory banks, I got thrown back to my high school and college days in spirit. This music reflects an atittude, a period of time that is hard to sense if you did not live it first hand, similar to that of people coming of age in the 60's. In understanding that Minnie's music was 70's era music, the atmospheric sounds are in keeping with this artist's continuous theme of paradise, with dreams of perfect unity and love. Minnie was one of the unique artists of our time. She was just starting to flower on her own, after earning her stripes as a valued part of Stevie Wonder's musical universe. I have this collection, but it only makes me want the albums in their entirety. Everyone older than 25 seems to recognize "Loving you" and "Perfect Angel", even if they can't recall the artist. There is a giddy, almost child like glee that gushes forward on both of those signature tracks. She was so expressive with her vocals. I am disappointed that "Edge of a Dream" and "Every Time He Comes Around" is not included, but as "best of" collections go, this is as complete as possible. If a comparison must be made, then yes Mariah Carey has the kind of range that Minnie Riperton had, but Carey also had the benefit of Riperton's legacy to take into the 90's. I still enjoy, even with a touch of sadness, the warm sincerity of this artist's music.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sounds of Birds Chirping!!!!, July 15, 2003
This review is from: The Best of Minnie Riperton (Audio CD)
Whenever I hear this lady sings I hear the sounds of birds chirping she has a wonderful voice and I really ;ove all of her music she sounds so nice, pretty, and clear she is a wonderful singer and I truly admire her work and I really would truly reccommend this album it contains the trademark hit"LOVIN YOU"
and it also includes "Inside my Love" so if you are a Deniece Willliams fan I would recommend that you get this cd !!!!
There will never ever be another voice like Minnie's . She started out her career as a backup singer for Etta James. We truly lost a legend in her own time and we had lost her so quick what good voice we had lost there would never be another voice like Minnie Ripperton's......

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful, January 6, 2000
This review is from: The Best of Minnie Riperton (Audio CD)
the voice of an angel.she sounds so good&strong on this set of her greatest hits.she had control of her voice unlike mariah.she was also a gifted song-writer.perfect angel is a great track as is memory lane and of course lovin you.a great talent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still Lovin' You Minnie....., August 9, 2005
This review is from: The Best of Minnie Riperton (Audio CD)
Minnie Riperton...such a beautiful woman with an equally beautiful voice. The younguns aren't ready for this one. This is for those of us that can truly appreciate real music and real talent. This woman had the voice of the most gentle hummingbird. Her songs, quite a few of which were co-written by her husband, told stories. She took our breath away. She was taken from us way too soon, but her voice will live on forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorites!, October 23, 2003
This review is from: The Best of Minnie Riperton (Audio CD)
She was listed as a top "one hit wonder" on VH-1? While it's always great to see people honored for the classics, this one was disappointing. It's such a shame that more people did not appreciate the work of this angel. Her voice was beautiful and her lyrics were amazing. She and her husband were part of a perfect team. I was born after her passing but I still honor her as my absolute favorite female artist and I will always treasure her work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Forever, Minnie., November 5, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Best of Minnie Riperton (Audio CD)
First of all let me say that this CD is absolutely wonderful and so full of great memories of Minnie. I was so facinated by her voice that I tried to immitate her many times in talent shows. I was heartbroken when I heard on the radio that she had passed at the tender age of 31. She was a "Perfect Angel". Fans, if your looking for something truly wonderful to listen to for years to come, buy this CD and listen to the timeless voice of Miss Riperton.

4.0 out of 5 stars A MASTER PIECE!!!, June 21, 2006
This review is from: The Best of Minnie Riperton (Audio CD)
FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO HEAR A REAL VOICE WITH REAL MELODIES PLAYING, THIS IS THE CD FOR YOU! THIS WOMAN (MINNIE RIPERTON) WAS SO AMAZING ! I FELL IN LOVE THE FIRST TIME I HEARD THE VOICE. THE KEY TRACKS ARE: "LOVING YOU", "CAN YOU FEEL WHAT I'M SAYIN'", "INSIDE MY LOVE" & "LIGHT MY FIRE". IMPRESSIVE COLLECTION! TRUE FANS SHOULD CHECK OUT THE HARD TO FIND "ADVENTURES IN PARADISE" ALBUM. THIS CD WAS PRODUCED BY: STEVIE WONDER, LEON WARE, MINNIE RIPERTON & RICHARD RUDOLPH. BUY IT! BUY IT! BUY IT!

The Best of Minnie Riperton
The Best of Minnie Riperton by Minnie Riperton (Audio CD - 1993)
Rate and Discover Movies