Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more

Format: Audio CD|Change

on June 12, 2000
Although a decent enough 'best of', this is patchy in comparison to the minimalist simplicity of 'Substance 1987'. Instead of simply compiling all the singles and b-sides from 1987 onwards (a process which would, admittedly, have resulted in a fairly short album), this is an odd overview of their career from 'Power, Corruption and Lies' onwards. It's nice to have 'World in Motion' on CD, and although fans might moan at the inclusion of remixed versions of 'True Faith', '1963' and 'Bizarre Love Triangle' the songs don't really suffer for it. On the other hand, it's criminal that either of the versions of 'Confusion' aren't on the CD, and quite why the excellent early singles 'Everything's Gone Green' or 'Temptation' have been omitted is a mystery. The ultra-obscure 'Murder' would have been nice to have, too. That said, it seems as if this compilation was intended as a way of introducing the group to non-fans, and as such it works very well - the songs from 'Technique' and 'Republic' haven't dated much, and sound fresh today. Furthermore, it must have been a way for London records to justify buying the group, as, after extricating them from the corpse of Factory records and releasing 'Republic', they promptly went on haitus.
The UK version has a slightly different track listing, omitting the first four songs from this US pressing. There's a companion-piece, 'The Rest of', which is fairly bad, and contains lots of undistinguished modern remixes of their old songs, most of which sound like totally new tracks.
on February 12, 2002
As a long time fan of New Order I would obviously recommend that you buy the individual albums in order to get a true feel to their music.If you like a few tracks then yeah a best of c.d. is also worth getting.This one is the newer of their 2 best of c.d.'s,but it is definitely NOT the one to get.It does have some postives-firstly it does include some tracks from their excellent "Republic" album,including "Regret" which is one of their best singles ever.One listen to Peter Hooks bass solo and you'll know what I mean.It also includes their track for the '90 World Cup,"World In Motion",which is probably the finest song written for football ever-okay the competition is pretty lousy,but still it's a good track.But the downside is considerable.Every other track has been tampered with in some way-so what you end up getting are songs that are way inferior to the originals.You'll see this as soon as you read the track listing-True Faith-'94-I mean why change,alter whatever such a great track.In fact the effects are minimal-but if you're familiar with the original you'll find them irritating.They are sort of like cheap effects to make this song more accessible to a cheesy dance market.This c.d. doesn't even include the original Blue Monday!Instead we get an inferior water-downed version from '88.Some songs should never be altered-I mean could you imagine them changing Joy Division's 'Love Will Tear Us Apart'?The other great tracks like "Perfect Kiss,Shell Shock,Bizarre Love Triangle" are edited so badly that it's like they've left out half the song.The originals were all pretty much over 6 minutes long-once again it's badly condensed to a wishy-washy 4/5 minutes.The great thing about these tracks was the way repeated musical patterns build and build into a thrilling climax-you get no sense of that whatsoever on this c.d.I love New Order-they have been one of the true interesting innovators of the last two decades.Sumner's disaffected vocals.Hooks thrilling bass lines,Gilberts brilliant synths way ahead of there time and of course all driven by the powerful drumming of Stephen Morris.I really doubt that the group themselves had much control over the way these tracks were butchered-if they did I don't know what they were thinking?If you are to get a best of c.d. by New Order then get "Substance"-it may be missing a few tracks but at least it's got the tracks in their original form!
on January 1, 2000
Okay, it seems I need to help increase this compilation's popularity. I did not agree with many of the reviews I read about this CD. First of all, to the guy who said "Let's Go" should be taken off this collection...WHAT WERE YOU THINKING! "Let's Go" is my third favorite of all New Order songs eclipsed only by the sensational masterpieces "Bizarre Love Triangle" and "True Faith". And although I agree that this CD is missing many of the great dance themes and hit singles from Substance, such as "Perfect Kiss", "Temptation", and the true version of "Blue Monday", Substance is missing many awesome hits released on the two latter albums. What New Order collection is complete without "Regret", "Round and Round", and "Vanishing Point." In short, I think this is an awesome CD and it compliments, not replaces, Substance very nicely. I highly reccomend this CD, especially to people who are unfamiliar with New Order's work. I feel that this album is a great starter and that Substance should be experienced after you've become familiar with the band's sound and singles.
New Order is a rather mysterious band in many ways. It has pre-history and continuing influence by groups such as Kraftwerk, Eno and the Velvet Underground, and various other experimental electronic-based European groups. It also has a strong shadow cast over it from Joy Division, an ironic name for a group whose leader (also the founder of New Order) Ian Curtis committed suicide. Enigmatic to the last, New Order members (who drift in and out of other band arrangements; the latest perhaps being Bernard Sumner's work with Electronic) tend to be less than specific when talking with the press, and their albums are conspicuously devoid of liner notes.
This CD, entitled (the best of) New Order for once contains some liner notes, which alas are disjointed, following the same fuzzy logic of information as in the past. The introduction states: 'This carefully selected commercial compilation of 16 such single-minded grouped and seductive songs of love, longing, life and belongings surely sums up the heartpounding pop life of this devious, uncomplicated pop group, uncertainly the most secretive of English groups, certainly the most surprising.'
Alas, not all that enlightening. Perhaps, given my mystical bent of mind, this is one of the reason why I enjoy New Order so much. Their music in came to life for me in London in the 1980s, and I have followed them ever since. Songs such as Bizarre Love Triangle and True Faith have been international club hits, and continue to be regulars on the playlists. Other songs, such as Blue Monday and Round and Round, have had new life breathed into them as remakes (the trend of groups to remake their own work is more prominent in certain Euro-pop groups than in other musical varieties).
These songs have enigmatic but meaningful lyrics; these are intelligent lyrics -- poetry set to music, not simple statements set to a beat. The longing and regret expressed in songs such as Ruined in a Day and Regret, the hope and energy contained in songs like True Faith and World in Motion; these have real emotion with real substance, for those who listen behind the electronic overlay. Videos that were made in support of the songs are innovative creatively and visually, often displaying the same kinds of enigmatic symbolism as do their lyrics.
The music is intricate and detailed, full and expressive. This type of music was coming to an adolescent maturity in the 1980s, and more adult maturity in the 1990s, and this compilation shows the progression of style and complexity for New Order over that time. This is, however, very much a dance/pop oriented sound, and those who are not looking for such will most likely not enjoy this sound. New Order is a relatively obscure group in American terms; much better known in Europe and Britain, but still not a 'powerhouse' group (of course, they can't all be the Spice Girls, now, can they?). But, for the particular audience niche they crafted for themselves, they remain an integral part, and remain for me an important influence in my pop musical tastes.
Friends who peruse my CD collection often comment on the seeming contradiction between the choral/liturgical collection, the classical collection, and the pop collection, wondering how they fit together. Perhaps it is that each of these touches an emotion inside; each striking a different chord that sounds with a different tone, yet, just as the strings on a violin or guitar all must be different for music to be made, these differing tastes coexist so to add fullness to my life. New Order inspires such thinking in me. Odd for a song likely to be blaring over a disco floor!
on June 4, 2000
Some New Order fans dislike this disk as a "Best of" disk because of the track listing. Some New Order fans criticize it because it ommits some of New Order's early hits such as "Perfect Kiss" and "Confusion" and also for some the remixes on the album (such as Blue Monday '88, 1963, and Round & Round). But often I think these fans miss the point of this disk. New Order's "Best of" showcases New Order as a "pop" band and makes several New Order singles (Touched By the Hand of God, World In Motion, and Let's Go) that can not found on any of their albums assesable to the American audience. So what the record company has essentially done has made New Order a more "assesiable" band to the listener. Which in my opinion is a good thing. I often think that much of New Order's early material has a lot of rough edges, which may prove a little difficult for somebody getting in to the band.
Even though the disk does not compile all of New Order's hits, it does pack enough great New Order songs like "True Faith", which is a supposed remix version, but in my opinion is exactlly like the video version of the song which is a shortened version of the original song, "Love Vigilantes", "Regret" and England's number 1 charting World Cup song, "World In Motion". And also, the disk has a sense of chronology to it. Although "Let's Go" starts off the disk, which is not one of New Order's earlier songs. But "The Best of New Order" is still a great listen.
on January 4, 2006
I'm a college student, and I find that current pop music doesn't do it for me. In fact, most of my friends listen to music that dates from the 1960s to the early 90s. I love this CD, New Order is very easy to listen to and enjoy. You can even hear the foundations of modern day house music within some of the tracks. The melancholy tone of the lead singer is definitive of a lot of the pop in the 80s, yet he does not bore you. Although I do admit, you can tell that all the tracks have somewhat of a general way of being constructed; so I recommend listening to the 30 second snippets that Amazon provides to decided if you really want to buy it. However, if you want a CD that is somewhat definitive of 80s Brit Pop, and made a huge impact on the Pop scene, I would definitely recommend buying this. It's a great compilation of the music by New Order.
on August 30, 2006
All tracks are classics in their own way a must have for any diehard New order fan as the track listing differs from the UK version. Gone are the tracks found on Substance and in come the opening tracks from new orders first 3 albums + Lets Go(Nothing for me) a barnstormer of a track which I believe is only available on here or on the Retro box set. All in all a fine add on to your collection.
on June 10, 2006
That's how long it's been since I've discovered New Order and, consequently, it's also how long they've been my favorite band. I am reviewing this album a second time because I forgot the e-mail and password I had for my other account (brilliant move, I know). With that said, this sweet, resplendent compilation was the second CD I purchased by the group, following Substance. While I love both collections with about the same intensity now, I have to admit that I liked New Order's "Best Of" much more at the start. While Substance is an awesome album of singles that is a nessecity for any true fan of the band, "The Best Of New Order" is more accessible to new fans as well as to those who may be only casual listeners. The songs are short, but sweet: an excellent fusion of rock, pop and techno. It's difficult to choose the standouts, because doing so would mean having to name at least 3/4's of the tracks on this CD.

However, I have to make mention of both "True Faith" and "Bizarre Love Triangle," because these are the two pop gems that hooked me into the band. Hearing Bernard Sumner's smoothe vocals singing "I used to think that the day would never come I'd see delight in the shade of the morning sun" on the radio (yes, there used to be a station in the Bay Area that played this song on a regular basis!) used to give me a serious emotional high. The same with "Bizarre Love Triangle's" catchy chorus, "Every time I see you falling I get down on my knees and pray." While these two tracks I'm sure have been worn out by long time fans (as they have by me), they are the perfect tunes for attracting new listeners who love a danceable synth-pop sound. I only wish that the former track hadn't been cut down to about 4 and a half minutes (the original is close to 6 minutes long). For some reason I really like the editing in BLT '95, though, and I even like the remixing.

Other standouts include "1963", which sounds softer than the original and opens with a nice accoustic riff, the insanely catchy "Touched By the Hand Of God," and the incredibly underrated opener, "Let's Go (Nothing For Me)." I had heard that last track on a radio station as well and I had no idea who sang it until I found New Order via True Faith and BLT. As I stated in my earlier review, I believe this compilation compliments, rather than replaces Substance very nicely. True, it's missing some great singles (Perfect Kiss, Temptation, Subculture) but it also has some classics that Substance missed (Age Of Consent, Dreams Never End, Love Vigilantes). So, I would have to highly recommend getting both. Acquire and enjoy!
on May 9, 2000
New Order are among the most original bands of the '80s, and along with artists like Durutti Column or Happy Mondays, they defined the Factory label's status as the premier independent label of the '80s. "The best of.." is a perfectly good introduction to those who have never heard the band before, but to me it feels like selling out. Unlike "Substance" (which is a very worthwhile collection of 12" remixes and deleted singles), "The best of.." is a rather tangled collection of previously available material. Even worse, there's too much overlapping with "Substance" and "Technique". Also, the haphazard song sequencing doesn't allow the listener to trace the musical evolution of this great band. The "'94 remix versions" sound as if the drums had been re-recorded, but besides the better sound quality, there's nothing new to discover here. Despite these shortcomings, this album offers evidence why New Order's music is so attractive. They are often considered as an Euro-dance group, but this doesn't hit the nail on the head. Moreover, they switch between post-punk guitar pop ("Regret", "Run"), bass-heavy acid house tracks ("Fine time", "Blue Monday '88"), lovely synth ballads ("1963", "Thieves..", "Ruined.."), or arena rock ("World in motion"), and this unpredictability makes them an enigma. A new studio album is planned for release in the summer of 2000.
on July 16, 2003
This is another group from the 80s (basically) who are better known among the dance club people and in Europe, but found a few Top 40 hits by capitalizing on the success of MTV and that kind of marketing that really took hold in the 80s.
Songs like "True Faith" and "Bizarre Love Triangle" combined a catchy beat and (then) advanced electronic music techniques with enigmatic lyrics to form quality music. These are not really "singable" songs, but they certainly get you dancing out on the floor!
New Order suffered early in their history with the loss of their lead singer, and then later in their career with a shift away from the dance-electronic-pop kind of music toward various hip hop, rap, and harder-core rock on both major radio and MTV type outlets. However, New Order still produced quality music that found a welcome home with fans and in the dance clubs that continue to this day to play their tunes. Songs like "World in Motion" and "Ruined in a Day" are every bit as good as their early work, and worth checking out.