Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on January 4, 2007
I had never really paid much attention to Bob Dylan prior to listening to this CD 2 years ago. He has since become a favorite of mine and I have since acquired 25 Bob Dylan CDs including many of his compilations.

As a now avid fan of Bob Dylan, I can understand the feeling that many of the core fans have expressed and the low ratings they attributed this CD, however I also remember the feeling that I had when I walked into Tower Records and upon seeing "The Best Of Bob Dylan" on sale, and feeling the price was right I made the purchase with the thought that 'this CD could offer me some exposure to Dylan'.

I played this CD every day for weeks, until I started researching his music in order to decide just what CDs to order, and now, I have quite a Bob Dylan collection.

But let me also say this: though the "Essential" double CD is a much better deal, if at the time I had a choice between "The Best Of Bob Dylan" and "Essential", I would still have chosen "The Best Of Bob Dylan", as it represented a sampler of his best songs which at the time was all I was interested in. For me this CD was perfect. I never would have purchased a double CD "sight unseen" no matter what the sale price.
VINE VOICEon December 1, 2005
"The Best Of Bob Dylan", is a very thin overview at best, and I can only recommend this disc to someone who has never owned a Dylan cd, and they want a small sampling[and I mean small], of a career that has spanned over 40 years. Most Dylan fans already own his more expansive collections, like "Biograph", and the "Greatest Hits Vol, 1,2, and 3" compilations. If you are new to Dylan, I would recommend the "Essential Bob Dylan", if you just want one CD. That double disc gives a healthy serving of Dylan classics, and is more complete. If you have never owned a Dylan collection before, and you buy this, try listening to his "Blonde On Blonde" or "Blood On The Tracks" cd to see what you have been missing!
VINE VOICEon December 21, 2005
I guess Columbia records need some money this Christmas to pay for new yacths for their excecutives. We already have Greatest Hits I, Greatest Hits II, Greatest Hits III, The Essential Bob Dylan, and now in time for the Holidays: The Best of Bob Dylan. Nothing special about this collection, in fact, its preety dumb trying to put tracks from the 60's, 70, 80, 90, and 2000's in the same CD. Its a mess and a very unnatural listen. Get the greatest hits packages, and from there, start collecting the albums. This compilation is nonsense.
on October 25, 2007
I have to admit that I only became a Dylan fan until a couple years a go when this compilation came out, and guess what? it worked, converted me into Dylan. It's understood that this compilation is only for new or casual fans, you also have to realize that this is the first one disc compilation that covers all of Bob's career from the 60's to the 00's. How can you rate a CD with all of these classic songs with one, two or even three stars?
on August 2, 2014
Dylan was the bridge. He took the troubedor folk music of Pete and touched the modern chord with lyric stories that carried me through all the decades of my life. I was born in 1950! I want some more!
Dylan's Best?!! Buy 2. Give one away to a loved one or teenage spirit that can understand the poetry and the imagery and relevance of these amazing renditions collected as ONE! It sounds amazing! Thanks Robert Zimmerman! I love you!
on February 1, 2006
Although, people may think of Bob Dylan as an "old man" and part of the past, his music still lives on today. His cd The Best of Bob Dylan, brings together is best work that was actually way ahead of its time. He sang of fear and anger towards the war in such a way that he got people to really listen. His lyrics also read things about tragedy and hate that was going on. He has many songs about racism and the faults of the world. Not only did he write about these things but he also wrote about sexual things that were not accepted to be sang about. One tune by him "Lay Lady Lay" was an extremely controversal song. People of the 60's never heard such things as "Lay across my big brass bed" in a song before. I think that the point that he was trying to get across was that old saying "make love, not war." With so many of his songs being about war he wanted to make light of a very stressful time for many.

Bob Dylan was an icon of his time and still is today. His music is soulful and full of life. Each song brings on a new idea that he has running in his head. Although, many people thought of his music to be too "raw," he stil kept going. Many of his ideas are still being produced in songs today, however, it's the way he presented them that made him more intruiging. Nowadays, all you hear about is "I hate Bush" or "Smack my Bitch up." What we really need to be doing is just chilling out and if you want to make a change, really do something about it!
on June 1, 2014
Bought this several years ago. All my favorites were on it. Problem was I keep replaying just the ones I liked and ruined the CD.

Would buy it again if I could find it. THink I will try to find it again on Amazon.
on March 18, 2013
For years i toiled over the thought of purchasing a Bob Dylan album. Not a super big fan, but i know he is a great songwriter, but just never could get in to it whole-heartedly. That said, this is a good mixture of his popular songs that seem to be ones i do enjoy of his.

i would recommend this for anyone who is getting into his music or is on the fence like me. Got it at a GREAT price, so too good to pass up!
on June 11, 2013
What else is there to say? Listening to Dylan, one hears echoes of Baudelaire, and of his astute sensitivity to the emergence of what has come to be called "modernity." In Dylan, these echoes take on their own cadence - and thus a life of their own. For which I, for one, am eternally grateful.
on May 11, 2013
If you only know Dylan from his recent work, you owe it to yourself to listen to this excellent collection of his work.
You will be as surprised as I was at the range of style and how much of the older work still seems fresh today.
You may find out you are a fan.