5.0 out of 5 stars Kites ARE Fun!
Published on September 17, 2004 by Tony Madejczyk

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy listening, good harmonies
I'm a child of the '60s but I had never heard of this group until I heard their song "Love You" over the closing credits of "Stranger Than Fiction." This prompted me to look the group up and get this collection of their best songs. It's good stuff with sophisticated harmonies, and I'm glad I got it.
Published on May 9, 2007 by J. Lane

5.0 out of 5 stars Kites ARE Fun!, September 17, 2004
Tony Madejczyk (Durham, North Carolina) - See all my reviews
First, a confession: I didn't really appreciate The Free Design on my first exposure to them--and I got to see them perform LIVE! Talk about "pearls before swine," when I saw this delightful vocal group in the early 1970's at Central Islip Senior High School, I must've rolled my eyes through much of the show. I really would've preferred Alice Cooper or Black Sabbath. Well, looking back, this music has aged better than some of the Coop's stuff, that's for sure. Thanks to a local thrift store and [...] I rediscovered this quirky family band. Think Carpenters-In-Jazz-Lab without a care in the world. All the instruments and voices are real. There's a naive freshness here coupled with musical skillsets that are sorely missing today. You can tell this group was still absorbing pop influences like The Beatles. If you've reached a stage in life where you'd like to hear real people sing with real voices while playing real instruments, this might be a good place to start. Kites are fun! --Tony Madejczyk

4.0 out of 5 stars Free Design, March 16, 2004
Brian J. Mcmahon "Flex" (Alexandria, VA United States) - See all my reviews
The fact their career lasted from 67-73 (5 albums?) means this group were not slackers. Cutting to the chase: All tracks sound profesional, there are probably between 4 and 7 tracks that are worth the price of admission, depending on your taste. (I like 2, 4, 5, 6, 15, 16). Clever vocal and musical arrangements, unique only in their integration of several styles (jazz and chorale among them). Some sappy lyrics but not excessive (see Love Generation). While this group has the squeeky clean sound of many a commerical jingle (think they did some for that matter), this was a REAL group and is evident in their work. They are who they are (2 brothers and 2 sisters). If you are into Sunshine Pop, I'd give this an even higher rating. When the career dips into the 70's, the work starts resembling the Carpenters. Note: I wish Karen Carpenter had done a version of You Are My Sunshine as found on this CD! Still big in Japan for reasons unknown. (some have suggested the cover art appeals to 90's Japanese sensibilities).

5.0 out of 5 stars What a gift to give my kids!, March 14, 2007
Noreen Gastineau (New Bern, North Carolina) - See all my reviews
When I was a senior in high school my ensemble sang the song "Love You" by the free design. 25 years later, I have two girls 7 & 9 who love music. At times of reminiscing, I find myself singing those words "Give a little time to the child within you, don't be afraid to be young and free, undo the locks and throw away the keys and take off your shoes and socks and run you." Now I understand the words to the song, my kids, maybe not so much, but this album is second to none! The Free Design has certainly stood the test of time, their sound is as refreshing now as it was when I first heard them, in a choral room, in Tucson, Arizona. Thank you Mr. Franz for introducing us! Get this album, get it for your kids, get it for yourself, or get it for your kids and listen to it in secret, I'll never tell!

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy listening, good harmonies, May 9, 2007
J. Lane (Sacramento, CA United States) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Need energy? Put this music on, April 21, 2013
This is a great cd for singing along, dancing all over the house, or cleaning to the music! What uplifting songs and melodies and rhythms. Also, for those of us older folk who liked music from the rock and roll era and groups like mamas and papas and peter, paul, and mary.

4.0 out of 5 stars Jordan, Jesse, Go Theme, August 1, 2011
Cole Brodine (Kearney, NE United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Of (MP3 Music)
I bought this album strictly because it is the theme music used on the podcast Jordan, Jesse, Go from the maximumfun.org podcast network. It's fun music and the kids seem to really like it too.

4.0 out of 5 stars FLYING KITES, February 3, 2009
IT TOOK ME QUITE A WHILE TO FIND THIS ALBUM. MEMORIES GALORE...BROUGHT
ME BACK TO BETTER TIMES. LISTEN TO THIS CD,YOU'LL BE GLAD YOU DID.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Emperor's New Clothes, January 4, 2007
The Free Design, huh? Now they're hip, eh? Feh. The emperor's new clothes.

The Best Of