Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Best of Mr. Peabody & Sherman, Volume 1
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on January 13, 2008
**Updated 6/7/10**

For those who have the season 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 or "The Complete Bull" you will want to avoid this, but it is still fun in its own right

The numbers are the sequence numbers for Mr. Peabody, not the episodes they appeared in.

From season 1
Rocky & Bullwinkle & Friends - The Complete First Season
1 Benjamin Franklin (aka Introduction) Mr. Peabody goes out & gets a pet boy.

From season 2

68 Jules Verne
70 Lawrence of Arabia
76 Jim Bowie

From season 4
Rocky & Bullwinkle & Friends: Season 4 (2pc)
78 Charge of the Light Brigade
85 Wellington at Waterloo
86 Florence Nightingale
91 Cleopatra (the final Mr. Peabody cartoon produced)
99 comments| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 22, 2005
Oh, those childhood memories. Those very inaccurate history lessons, very bad puns, and cheezy animation. No, I'm not talking about "South Park." I'm referring to those Jay Ward shorts in the Rocky and Bullwinkle Show. Still, this IS funny stuff. Well worth owning. Anyone interested in animation or those wacky 60s and 70s should make this required viewing. The jokes are a little stale now, but were they ever that fresh anyway. Who cares!!! It's Mr. Peabody and his boy Sherman. Sit (way)back and enjoy.
on June 11, 2005
Mr. Peabody is a TV talisman. I always walk away from these cartoons feeling magically transformed and energized.

In the realm of vintage cartoons made on minimal budgets, Jay Ward rules! Peabody & Sherman, along with Rocky & Bullwinkle, etc, were very much like sly, fast-talking radio plays staged by smartly stylized cartoon characters. This DVD also contains rare Bullwinkle puppet segments that were used in the early broadcasts. They too underline how WAY ahead of the curve Ward was in terms of getting sophisticated and sometimes subversive humor in under the radar.

By the way, Peabody's "boy" Sherman was voiced by a man in his 40's named Robert Tetley. Amazing.
on July 24, 2007
I want to start off by saying that I am not a serious collector so my review will not be based on other products of this nature. I simply bought the video to share with my children. I wanted them to see what animation was like when I was little. They couldn't believe we only watched cartoons on Saturday morning. This was a great memory and we had a wonderful time watching Mr. Peabody and Sherman solve the historical mysteries.
on September 2, 2011
Mr Peabody and Sherman made me laugh on Saturday mornings when I was a child and after all these years, I still get a chuckle out of watching them. Plus, I get a sense of nostalgia that just makes me feel good - I can almost reach out and touch my childhood when I watch any of the Rocky and Bullwinkle videos.
on March 15, 2014
This is such a wacky cartoon, that it's hard not to love. The concept of a genius dog that adopts a boy and travels around time using a machine that he built himself must be drug induced. I learned so much about history as a kid from watching this cartoon, most of it completely fabricated. The plots are ridiculous and the puns atrocious. I highly recommend it!

The picture quality is very good and somebody had fun designing the case. One big problem is that the disc came off the spindle during shipping and rattled around inside enough that it badly scuffed the reflective side. Amazon sent me a replacement, but the case on this one doesn't have the same cool die cut window.
on September 12, 2015
Although the kids will love this, you probably have to be over 50 to get the full impact. If you're not fairly well educated, some of the quips at the end of the episodes might go right over your head, but stick with it. Think of it as a brain game! Brings back memories of watching the full episodes of "Rocky and Bullwinkle." The name changed over the years, but our beloved characters remain the same.
on August 28, 2011
Before there was Dr. Who, before Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, there was the Rocky and Bullwinkle show, with many fast paced fractured tales of history and fairy tales.
As a regular staple of cartoon viewing in the early 1960s, Jay Ward's production stood out from the others with quick, sly wit, bad puns and fast pace.

This collection is a wonderful example of the style of his animation, starting from the very first Mr. Peabody and Sherman cartoon installment, setting up the series and explaining
just who they are and why they are together. Bet you never heard that tale, did you?

This volume, billed "The BEST of Mr. Peabody and Sherman Volume 1" contains 15 of the roughly five minute features, with luminaries like, Napolean, Cleopatra, Ben Franklin, and others. The puns come thick and fast, but the last bad pun for the closer is guaranteed to be a groaner.

This is a must see for the younger generation, to see what their parents and grandparents grew up on, long before Bart and Homer Simspson tried to corner the market on smart ass comments.

A reasonable value on it's own, an extra feature of the Bullwinkle live puppet intros that were featured during the first season are included.

Though this DVD doesn't show anything more than the basic Mr. Peabody and Sherman, it is a good item to have or share. Perhaps another DVD that contains a sample complete show might give more of the overall flavor, but this isn't bad.

My kids were appalled, but sat through the entire DVD with mom and dad and we laughed again at the bad puns and simple animation. Don't miss this opportunity to share the laughs.
on October 19, 2010
Don't you all find it odd and interesting that , the DOG, Mr . Peabody is highly intelligent and an intellectual. ALL TV dogs, thanks to hanna-barbera are DUMB, STUPID, or COWARDS. (Scooby-Doo). It is refreshing to see a cartoon with SOME educational value and done with good wit. I don't think there has been another SMART canine. The closest
being BRIAN on Family Guy. But compared to peabody, Brian is a loser lol. Long Live Peabody!
on May 8, 2015
I loved the Rocky & Bullwinkle show. Mr. Peabody & Sherman was, and still is, delightful. As a kid, my mother leveraged this show as an incentive for me to get my chores done. No Chores (or home-work, or piano practice), then no Peabody & Sherman.
Now that I'm older, I am amazed at the highly intellectual and satirical writing of the Rocky & Bullwinkle episodes. I had fun with it in my youth and have even more fun with it now. Lots of good, clean, un-offensive fun.
Thanks Amazon!