5.0 out of 5 stars Great book
Published on May 23, 2008 by Blue Devil 24

2.0 out of 5 stars Had potential, but fell short
Published 20 months ago by bookaddict

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, May 23, 2008
This book works on two levels: First, it's very funny. For example, I almost fell off my couch laughing during the scene when our heroine -- who's resorted to becoming a guinea pig at NIH in order to stay financially afloat as her frequent wedding attendance drains her bank account -- attempts to conceal that fact from the man of her dreams in a hospital lobby. Not aiding her effort is her battle against an itch caused by a recently applied experimental ointment. And the wedding-brawl scene (think Jets versus the Sharks in wedding gear) near the end successfully blends comedy with dramatic resolution.

Second, the book succeeds in carrying us through the heroine's emotional journey (which coincides with her physical travel from wedding to wedding to wedding). The book's comedy doesn't make that journey feel less real. Indeed, at its core, the book is a thoughtful examination of love, commitment, and marriage -- and how hard it can be to combine all three in one relationship.

In short, this a great debut for the author, and I highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad., May 9, 2008
She may have a male name, but Kevin "Vi" Connelly knows all about being a bride, even though she has never been one. Vi is rich in experience when it comes to being in weddings and her poor bank account shows it. Ever since Vi was a small flower girl in one of Aunt Jackie's many weddings, Vi has dreamed of finally being a bride. Vi's closet overflows with over a dozen bridesmaid dresses, each worn once.

As for Vi's job, she has no idea what she is really doing, except faking it well. As for pets, she has a couple of cats that love drinking out of a drizzling bathroom faucet. As for girlfriends, she has a group she goes out to drink with weekly. As for a boyfriend ... well, she is working on that one.

**** Hard to believe this is the author's debut novel. Written in a bold and sassy style, readers will feel as if one of their closest friends is simply telling them a personal story. Therefore, do not expect something major to explode in your face on the very first page. Instead, you may find yourself gradually sinking into the tale and later wondering where the time went. ****

Reviewed by Detra Fitch of Huntress Reviews.

5.0 out of 5 stars from a different perspective, August 20, 2008
Chef Sam (Mid Missouri) - See all my reviews
I was given a copy of this novel by a friend and asked to read it. My initial reaction was a polite "No thank you," due to the fact that this sort of novel is a radical departure from my typical fare... which pretty much is comprised of cookbooks and nearly anything else save for harlequin novels and "chick-lit."

I was encouraged to read it anyway.

Once in, I tore through this book voraciously. I find that Ms. Reichs has penned an incredibly humorous, socially accurate, modern and thoroughly enjoyable debut novel to which one may easily relate. I have since thanked the friend that lent me the book and have passed on my recommendation to others who have subsequently found the book praiseworthy.

To you, I say: Buy the book, and settle in for a witty, insightful, emotional, and extraordinarily funny read.

5.0 out of 5 stars ViViVooom Charms with Humor & Smarts, May 29, 2008
Readers will fall in love with Vi Connelly and find themselves eager to see her again after making her acquaintance in this thoroughly amusing tale of a single girl on Serious Wedding Overload. Vi invites us to ride shotgun on this adventure, engaging us intimately with her wit, on her escapades, in her relationships, and -- thanks to the author's aptitude for dialogue -- an intelligence and honesty that feels entirely new in this genre. Whether single, married or somewhere inbetween, you'll surely rethink your perspective while laughing out loud as Vi hurtles through the calendar towards a love of her own. A *smashing* inaugural for Kerry Reichs and just in time for the beach.

4.0 out of 5 stars fun chick lit tale, May 11, 2008
Kevin "Vi" Connolly may be the gender bedding equivalent to A Boy Named Sue, but she is a die hard romantic who expects one day her Prince Charming will sweep her off her feet. She has felt that way since she was six years old and carried a basket of flower petals at a wedding. However two decades plus later she remains single and a bit wary of being a bridesmaid instead of the star attraction.

She knows part of her problem is not settling like some of her friends have. Vi insists on finding her soul mate. As she closets one dress after another, not to be used again, she begins to wonder if she will ever find her beloved.

Although THE BEST DAY OF SOMEONE ELSE'S LIFE is thin on sustenance, readers will commiserate with the beleaguered heroine who has gone down the aisle eleven times to hear someone else say "I do". Vi laments about the materialism waste of buying expensive dresses for one time use as symbols of failure. Although the story line lacks substance, chick lit fans will appreciate Vi's on target analysis of the honor of being in the wedding party, but the defeat of not being the star attraction.

Harriet Klausner

5.0 out of 5 stars great girlfriends book, August 21, 2008
This book was so much fun! Modern and funny, fast-paced and smart - I loved it. It has all the ups and downs of a romance you want along with the added bonus of being laugh out loud funny! I am giving it as a gift to my girlfriends!

5.0 out of 5 stars I miss Vi already!, August 27, 2008
Proof Pal (Arlington, VA) - See all my reviews
I started reading this book on a plane ride, and a few chapters in, I was hooked. A couple hours later, and I did not want the plane to land and break into my time with Vi -- the main character. Having gotten this book from a friend, I knew this book would be funny, but I was genuinely surprised at how much Vi stayed with me every time I put the book down. The wedding stuff is great narrative, but what you'll enjoy the most is the author's character development. I loved Vi's clever yet sweet relationship with the Sid Dickens guy - it developed in such a cute way. And to the reviewer who remarked about a few typos here and there, that is hardly something to hold against the story!

2.0 out of 5 stars Had potential, but fell short, December 30, 2012
This review is from: The Best Day of Someone Else's Life (Paperback)
I purchased this book after seeing it had 4 out of 5 stars from other amazon book reviewers. I wanted a fun read from a new chick lit author. However, this one really disappointed me. It's clear the author has talent and a really good sense of humor, as there were parts of the book that were amusing, but all the humor and possible romance got buried by a revolving door of characters, poor main character building and a wandering plot line. I ended up skipping huge chunks of the book desperately trying to finish as I hate quitting a book once I've started. It was running a never ending marathon of weddings trying to figure out the plot line. More focus and better character development would have brought this story to life.

5.0 out of 5 stars witty tale full of life's lessons, August 23, 2008
Reichs is clearly a witty writer as the book offers hundreds of clever, comical phrases. It's a bit difficult to get past all the characters in the book until you can focus in on the primary ones...once I truly connected with Vi...the pages turned rapidly.

5.0 out of 5 stars mans perspective, August 20, 2008
i felt that i could relate to all the characters in this most robust portrayl of love and marriage. great summer read or fall or winter

The Best Day of Someone Else's Life
The Best Day of Someone Else's Life by Kerry Reichs (Paperback - May 6, 2008)
Used & New from: $0.87