Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Best Day of Someone Else's Life
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on May 23, 2008
This book works on two levels: First, it's very funny. For example, I almost fell off my couch laughing during the scene when our heroine -- who's resorted to becoming a guinea pig at NIH in order to stay financially afloat as her frequent wedding attendance drains her bank account -- attempts to conceal that fact from the man of her dreams in a hospital lobby. Not aiding her effort is her battle against an itch caused by a recently applied experimental ointment. And the wedding-brawl scene (think Jets versus the Sharks in wedding gear) near the end successfully blends comedy with dramatic resolution.

Second, the book succeeds in carrying us through the heroine's emotional journey (which coincides with her physical travel from wedding to wedding to wedding). The book's comedy doesn't make that journey feel less real. Indeed, at its core, the book is a thoughtful examination of love, commitment, and marriage -- and how hard it can be to combine all three in one relationship.

In short, this a great debut for the author, and I highly recommend it.
VINE VOICEon May 9, 2008
She may have a male name, but Kevin "Vi" Connelly knows all about being a bride, even though she has never been one. Vi is rich in experience when it comes to being in weddings and her poor bank account shows it. Ever since Vi was a small flower girl in one of Aunt Jackie's many weddings, Vi has dreamed of finally being a bride. Vi's closet overflows with over a dozen bridesmaid dresses, each worn once.

As for Vi's job, she has no idea what she is really doing, except faking it well. As for pets, she has a couple of cats that love drinking out of a drizzling bathroom faucet. As for girlfriends, she has a group she goes out to drink with weekly. As for a boyfriend ... well, she is working on that one.

**** Hard to believe this is the author's debut novel. Written in a bold and sassy style, readers will feel as if one of their closest friends is simply telling them a personal story. Therefore, do not expect something major to explode in your face on the very first page. Instead, you may find yourself gradually sinking into the tale and later wondering where the time went. ****

Reviewed by Detra Fitch of Huntress Reviews.
on August 20, 2008
I was given a copy of this novel by a friend and asked to read it. My initial reaction was a polite "No thank you," due to the fact that this sort of novel is a radical departure from my typical fare... which pretty much is comprised of cookbooks and nearly anything else save for harlequin novels and "chick-lit."

I was encouraged to read it anyway.

Once in, I tore through this book voraciously. I find that Ms. Reichs has penned an incredibly humorous, socially accurate, modern and thoroughly enjoyable debut novel to which one may easily relate. I have since thanked the friend that lent me the book and have passed on my recommendation to others who have subsequently found the book praiseworthy.

To you, I say: Buy the book, and settle in for a witty, insightful, emotional, and extraordinarily funny read.
on May 29, 2008
Readers will fall in love with Vi Connelly and find themselves eager to see her again after making her acquaintance in this thoroughly amusing tale of a single girl on Serious Wedding Overload. Vi invites us to ride shotgun on this adventure, engaging us intimately with her wit, on her escapades, in her relationships, and -- thanks to the author's aptitude for dialogue -- an intelligence and honesty that feels entirely new in this genre. Whether single, married or somewhere inbetween, you'll surely rethink your perspective while laughing out loud as Vi hurtles through the calendar towards a love of her own. A *smashing* inaugural for Kerry Reichs and just in time for the beach.
on May 11, 2008
Kevin "Vi" Connolly may be the gender bedding equivalent to A Boy Named Sue, but she is a die hard romantic who expects one day her Prince Charming will sweep her off her feet. She has felt that way since she was six years old and carried a basket of flower petals at a wedding. However two decades plus later she remains single and a bit wary of being a bridesmaid instead of the star attraction.

She knows part of her problem is not settling like some of her friends have. Vi insists on finding her soul mate. As she closets one dress after another, not to be used again, she begins to wonder if she will ever find her beloved.

Although THE BEST DAY OF SOMEONE ELSE'S LIFE is thin on sustenance, readers will commiserate with the beleaguered heroine who has gone down the aisle eleven times to hear someone else say "I do". Vi laments about the materialism waste of buying expensive dresses for one time use as symbols of failure. Although the story line lacks substance, chick lit fans will appreciate Vi's on target analysis of the honor of being in the wedding party, but the defeat of not being the star attraction.

Harriet Klausner
on April 11, 2014
This book was going to be a five star until the last 30 pages. No spoilers here, I'm just sayin. The other 400 were terrific. Kerry Reichs really has a way with words. Vi is a fully fleshed character and I thoroughly loved being in her head except for those pesky last 30 pages.

Do I recommend this book? Yes I do, I highly recommend it, in fact. Just because I didn't much care for the ending, I have a feeling that I'm probably in the minority on this one. So buy, read, and marvel at how much fun your having!
on August 21, 2008
This book was so much fun! Modern and funny, fast-paced and smart - I loved it. It has all the ups and downs of a romance you want along with the added bonus of being laugh out loud funny! I am giving it as a gift to my girlfriends!
on August 3, 2012
Ms Reichs writes in the notes at the end of the book that her editor cut a few weddings out - she should have cut more. The book, while initially really fun to read, started to drag halfway through as it was just one wedding and one Sunday evening out with the girls after another. And the notion that the main character went from not knowing anything about wine to being a serious expert just by reading some magazines was laughable. Also, there was a fair amount of British slang used and that made no sense for a group of characters that were American. This was a fun read, overall, but I won't be putting it on the pile to share with friends - I read it and tossed it.
on December 30, 2012
I purchased this book after seeing it had 4 out of 5 stars from other amazon book reviewers. I wanted a fun read from a new chick lit author. However, this one really disappointed me. It's clear the author has talent and a really good sense of humor, as there were parts of the book that were amusing, but all the humor and possible romance got buried by a revolving door of characters, poor main character building and a wandering plot line. I ended up skipping huge chunks of the book desperately trying to finish as I hate quitting a book once I've started. It was running a never ending marathon of weddings trying to figure out the plot line. More focus and better character development would have brought this story to life.
on September 22, 2014
Atypical romance -- it started traditionally, but then takes a little bit of a turn. What you expect out of life, how fulfilling you make your own life, what you can ask someone else to be. This was a good book, especially for professional women who don't want to be defined solely by their marital and family status. It reminded me a little bit of the movie 27 dresses with the obsession to say yes to all her friends' weddings, and play the active supporting role. It explores that love and marriage aren't necessarily the same thing, and weddings are different from marriage.