‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars The Spirit of Trek Music, April 28, 2001
Jeff Jacques (Ottawa, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best of Star Trek, Volume Two (Audio CD)
While I do own many CDs of Trek music (movies & TV), I don't own Volume 1 of the Best Of series -- but I had to get this one for one main reason: the music from "Bride of Chaotica!"
The music from this wonderful VGR episode harkens back to the early days of sci-fi television and movies, and is a complete joy to listen to. It's as campy as the "Captain Proton" holo-novel featured in the episode and the cues have a bounce and vigor that brings back the fun of the episode itself. Great stuff!
Not to be ignored, of course, is the music from the other Trek series. The TOS score is crisp and sounds better than ever. The Main Title never sounded so good! The action-packed suite from DS9's "Way of the Warrior" is grand and epic, and Nana Visitor's rendition of "Fever" from "His Way" is sultry and quite the bonus on this disc.
Closing off the CD is Dennis McCarthy's suite of music from TNG's series finale, "All Good Things..." (though why it doesn't appear between TOS and DS9 is a mystery). This is some of Dennis McCarthy's best work on the show and and it's great to slip back into the mystery and grandeur of that episode.
All in all, if you like music from the "Star Trek" TV series, then this is one I suggest you, ah, beam into your collection!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent CD For Star Trek Fans!, July 18, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Best of Star Trek, Volume Two (Audio CD)
When I got this cd in the mail, I right away put it in my Cd player and listened to it. I was really thrilled with the music from each of the series. My favorite suite on the cd is the suite form "The Way Of The Warrior". It is also a nice bonus on the cd to have Nana Visitor singing "Fever". In my opinion this CD is as good as the first volume they released. I would recommend this cd to any Star Trek fan who enjoys watching the episodes and hearing the music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Improvement over the First One -Tracks Misnumbered on Insert, June 8, 2001
This review is from: The Best of Star Trek, Volume Two (Audio CD)
This CD is a big improvement over the last "Best of Star Trek" mostly because there is much more variety in the tracks. Almost no two are exactly alike. The highlight of this CD certainly is "Fever" sung by Nana Visitor(Kira) herself. And if you are concerned with the placement of the TNG music dead last, I advise you to reserve your judgement until you hear these tracks. They are the perfect way to wrap up this collection.
If there is to be a third version, my advice would be to focus on specific recognizable themes and try less to take many tracks from the same episode. Still, I think Trek fans will be very happy with this compilation.
One thing to be aware of is that the tracks are misnumbered on the inserts. The tracks listed as "Chapter 18" and "Presenting Arachnia" are actually the same track. There is an extra track for "Way of the Warrior" between "Medieval Harp Source" and "Yo!" which the Amazon.com website refers to as "Evil Empire." Therefore the Voyager music starts at track 14.

5.0 out of 5 stars "sure to transport all followers into total enjoyment", December 6, 2001
This review is from: The Best of Star Trek, Volume Two (Audio CD)
Think you've heard it all---well, think again...GNP/Crescendo brings forth another compilation, simply out-of-this-world---"THE BEST OF STAR TREK VOL. 2", contains previously unreleased music by Courage...Steiner...Goldsmith...McCarthy...Chattaway and David Bell---this one-of-a-kind collection featuring suites and cues from---"STAR TREK:THE ORIGINAL SERIES"---"THE NEXT GENERATION"---"DEEP SPACE NINE"---"VOYAGER", all of which are good to superb representations of each episode through scoring---"THEME FROM STAR TREK-LOUNGE MIX", nice touch from the big band point of view---"FEVER", from "DEEP SPACE NINE" episode "HIS WAY", torchy rendition performed by Nan Visitor...David Bell's score for "BRIDE OF CHAOTICA", is something out of "Flash Gordon", wonderfully nostalgic recreation reminiscent of those early days of sci-fi serials of the 1930s, starring Buster Crabbe in the title role.
Dedicated to the memory of DeForest Kelley (1920-1999), and to "The Great Bird of the Galaxy", Mr. Gene Roddenberry---Neil Norman and Crescendo have once again brought the best and most creative attributes to "film-score-buffs" around the galaxy---don't miss this or the next thrilling episode from Norman & Crew!
You might try another GNP/Crescendo release ~ "The Best Of Star Trek:30th Anniversary Special"(GNPD-8053), all worthy of a good listen!
Total Time: 63:44 on 24 Tracks ~ GNP/Crescendo GNPD-8061 ~ (2000)

5.0 out of 5 stars A CD Full of Great Music, June 21, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Best of Star Trek, Volume Two (Audio CD)
Imagine yourself being attacked by dozens of spaceships. You have very capable defenses, but there are simply too many ships. Your shields are weakening and the enemy is starting to beam into your command center, and everywhere else. You are forced to go hand-to-hand with them. Now, this same thing happened on Deep Space Nine. The action drew us all in, and put us on the edge of our seats. But the forgotten element in the tension was the music. Now the music from this scene has been realesed and I am enjoying it more than any other Star Trek CD I have ever bought. One of the nice things about this CD is that, by releasing several different episodes into one collection, it has so much variety. We go from the excellent (but somewhat hokey) TOS music, to the modern, pulse pounding music of DS9, to the parody music for Voyager, to the action packed and touching music for TNG. Each of these scores could very well be realesed by themselves as Best of Star Trek volumes, but they're all together. The collection is fablulous. I can't decide which suite I like better because they are all great. You have got to own this CD. Oh yes, one last thing...did I mention I liked it?

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Trek CD for the Collection, June 11, 2000
This review is from: The Best of Star Trek, Volume Two (Audio CD)
If you are a die hard Star Trek fan, then this CD is a must have. It is not quite on par with the 30th Anniversary compilation in my opinion, but just for the DS9 tracks it is worthwhile.
The music from the final episode of TNG (All Good Things...) is excellent, but to me, The Way Of The Warrior tracks steal the show. Of course, I also enjoy the tracks from the other series too. It is a real shame that at least one James Darren (aka Vic from the holosuites) track did not make the CD. I guess there were copyright issues. Too bad.
I would advise anyone looking for a Star Trek music CD to start with the 30th Anniversary version. But before you start the movies collection, give this one a listen. If it is action you like, try "YO!" (track 11 above).

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Star Trek CD yet., June 16, 2000
Steven J. Brelsford (Fort Wayne, Indiana) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best of Star Trek, Volume Two (Audio CD)
If you're a Dennis McCarthy fan, this is an awesome Star Trek CD! The score highlights from Worf's first DS9 episode and the Next Generation finale are wonderful. Finally, a Star Trek CD with McCarthy's upbeat action scores! And the Fred Steiner Original Series offerings are tracks that came to be Star Trek standards (as opposed to Jerry Fieldings 'Tribble' music that was only used on that episode (as featured in the 30 Year Celebration Best of Trek CD.) The only thing lacking is a contribution from Jay Chattaway (who had the last CD to himself.) But for a McCarthy fan, you couldn't ask for more... well, except for more CD's like it!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Solid Performer, February 14, 2001
"white_knight_5" (California, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best of Star Trek, Volume Two (Audio CD)
This CD is a great follow up to the first. I have no regrets buying it, but it does seem to me that the tracks are messed up. I think they're all still there, but somewhere between the Deep Space Nine and the Voyager tracks, something is odd... I was wondering if it's just my CD or if anyone else noticed this oddity. Still a great CD though!

4.0 out of 5 stars Keep it up boys!, February 9, 2001
klingsithvamp (Windsor, Colorado United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best of Star Trek, Volume Two (Audio CD)
I got this for Christmas. I've been a long time Star Trek fan; so, being a music lover as well, I have most of the ST music that has been produced. I already had tracks from ST: TOS on other rare CDs - they were virtually identical - nothing new (but still good). The tracks from ST:TNG were good but repetive. Speaking of repetetive, this is Vol. 2; which, for anyone fan enough to purchase this style of music, presupposes that we already own Vol. 1. That being the case, why do the producers waste precious space with the opening title scores? Anyway, I was weary of the tracks for ST: V, but after hearing them, I fell in love. Very Flash Gordon-Silverscreen! I only wish they had broadened the tone out sooner, and played out the Voyager theme a bit longer at the end of each track. I saved the best for last. The ST: DS9 tracks were quite inspirational - the robust Klingon undertones with sharp bat'leth edges, the surprisingly gentle and noble lull of the harp music, and what man could resist Nana Visitor's performance in "Fever." I would have bought this CD for that track alone. If you're a Trekkie, or just love modern classical composition, buy this soundtrack. I wanted to give it four and a half stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Star Trek Music as You've Never Heard It, January 4, 2007
This review is from: The Best of Star Trek, Volume Two (Audio CD)
Although all the music on this CD is terrific, the TOS music is especially compelling,the more so from an old fan like myself who knew the music was good even though, as a kid,I was hearing it from the small speaker of a tinny black and white televison set. From the "cubicle" xylophone and the sweeping violins of " The Suite from The Corbomite Maneuver" to the unforgettable trumpets of " Balance of Terror" to " The Suite from What are Little Girls Made of?" (which incidentally, is composed partly of the memorable musical opening to the main body of the episode, "Arena"). Full length, and with an awe-inspiring bass line that one could never really hear on that old black and white TV, these three selections alone are well worth the money!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Best of Star Trek, Volume Two
The Best of Star Trek, Volume Two by Star Trek (Related Recordings) (Audio CD - 2000)
Click for more info