Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your email address or mobile phone number.
The Best Things to Do in Los Angeles: 1001 Ideas Paperback – June 25, 2013
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
“It’s a delight to come across the likes of Joy Yoon’s The Best Things to Do in Los Angeles, a big fat, fun-to-read compendium that offers fresh perspectives on old LA standbys alongside eclectic, unexpected leisure-time ideas. Yoon has expertly crafted over a thousand mini essays that will make you want to take an LA vacation pronto or get out of the house for an adventure if you live in Southern California.” ~Passport Magazine
"Thoughtfully organized by type of experience rather than geography, the book does the impossible and makes a bewilderingly complex megalopolis remarkably accessible. Tightly-written capsule descriptions give you everything you need to know to plan your voyage. The book leaves no LA neighborhood stone unturned; from behind the Orange Curtain to the San Gabriel Valley. Yoon even provides brief education on local fashion designers, philanthropists and seasonal street fairs." ~Cool Hunting
About the Author
More About the Author
Top Customer Reviews
I am now in the process of challenging myself to do all of the 1001 things listed. There are a lot of reminders of the little things from my childhood I had forgotten and/or places I haven't visited in a while. What intrigues me the most are the many places listed that I have driven by all my life and never experienced/taken a second glance at what appears to have been missed adventures.
Thanks to this book I won't be saying "What should I do?" for a long time!
This is a long review, so I'll put this short bit here. If you're going to be spending some time in Los Angeles, and you want to explore, I would recommend getting this.
- It has a Calendar of Events in the back, so you can look at the month you're in and quickly see festivals & events that are season specific
- It also has an index in the back. So, if you happen to already know the place to which you'd like to go, you can easily see what page it's on to read more about it.
- There are lots of ideas in here! Some unique and more local-feeling, some super tourist-y things, and some in between. I appreciate that it runs the gamut.
- The eating chapter goes from #406 - #599. It feels like sort of a lot of time is spent on food. (Plus, there's another section on food trucks in the "on the street" chapter. And there's food mentioned in other chapters as well.) For me, I'd rather hear about more experience-based ideas than that many food ideas. But some people love food. So, to each her own.
- I like the way the book's laid out. It is nice that if you're in the mood for something outdoors, or if you're in the mood for some kind of art, you can flip to those chapters. However, as other reviewers have mentioned, it would be easier in some circumstances if things were listed by neighborhood/area. It'd be easier to plan an entire day quickly (or to try on of the restaurants on a whim after you've done some other experience) without having to rifle through the book to see what else is in your area.Read more ›
Joy Yoon, you are wonderful!
What an amazing book! Written in a refreshingly hip and knowledgeable hand, it's unlike so many of those droll guides to the city. If you're a Native Angelino, this should be your ultimate Los Angeles bucket list! I've already started crossing things off as I do them. Summer movie at the cemetery? CHECK. Amazing fish tacos? DOUBLE CHECK. Easy and not to mention FUN to read, it includes old and new things and places to see that I didn't even know existed! It's a great gift for Angelinos,out-of-towners and world travelers alike who want to explore all the fantastic things this beautiful and diverse city has to offer.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Bought this as a gift for some friends that just moved to L.A. They seem to like it!Published 1 month ago by Ashley Williams
We referred to this book all the time during our trip to Los Angeles last Christmas. I really enjoyed the snippets of background information and history-- just enough to feel like... Read morePublished 6 months ago by betsyjoy
So many good places to go see and enjoy. I originally borrowed this book from the library but when it turned out to have so many good ideas I decided I needed to own one for... Read morePublished 8 months ago by sisu7755
I grew up and lived in LA and never knew there was so much to do. This book has places and things I have never heard of. I'm so excited to explore this amazing city!!!Published 9 months ago by Adrian
Filled with interesting info. Would be really good for someone just moving to LA. For a tourist, it was overwhelming! But in a good way. Read morePublished 10 months ago by Mary
I purchased this book in preparation for LA. I recommend it to anyone that has visited before or for the first time. It has so many great ideas! Read morePublished 12 months ago by Jeremy Clark
I recommend to anyone that has time to explore LA a bit. I purchased for when we first moved to CA it's been a fun purchase. Read morePublished 13 months ago by Margo