5.0 out of 5 stars A good compilation
Published on June 8, 2007 by M. Vitellaro

3.0 out of 5 stars Classic late-night standup is good, but not great.
It should be known that, at twenty-six years old, I was not around/not old enough to stay up late to watch any of these clips live. That being said, I love stand-up comedy of all eras and I know that a lot of greats had made their marks on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.

Published on March 8, 2008 by K. Tryniszewski

5.0 out of 5 stars A good compilation, June 8, 2007
M. Vitellaro "M. Vitellaro" (Portland, Oregon United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best of The Tonight Show - Stand-Up Comedians (2 Discs) (DVD)
The Best of the Tonight Show: Stand-Up Comedians was a great purchase. My wife and I bought the box set last week and have enjoyed it very much. It's about 2 hours long and features a lot of great comics and memorable moments from the Tonight Show. I own the Ultimate Collection already, but bought this set because it compiles the stand-up routines that I enjoyed so much. It's not ALL of Johnny Carson's greatest moments but it's his greatest moments on shows where he had stand-up comedians on. If you enjoyed the stand-up, you'll appreciate this compilation.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Launching Pad For Today's Greatest Comics, June 4, 2007
For three decades the dream of almost every comic was to perform for Johnny Carson on The Tonight Show. Carson helped launch virtually every important standup until he retired - and there has been no venue to replace him. This DVD set has all the greats we are still enjoying - Seinfeld, George Carlin, Steven Wright, Gary Shandling - and many of the greats that are gone, including Rodney Dangerfield. It is really interesting to see them with 70's suits and hair at the very beginning of their careers. A great collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very funny collection, June 8, 2007
Walter Schulte (Portland, Oregon) - See all my reviews
The box set features a lot of great comedians of my time, as well as some of today's greats before they made it big. Jerry Seinfeld will always be my favorite, so it was nice to see him earlier on in his career alongside Johnny Carson, no less. This is a good choice for anyone who enjoyed The Ultimate Johnny Carson Collection - His Favorite Moments from The Tonight Show (Vols. 1-3) (1962-1992) or appreciates stand-up.

3.0 out of 5 stars Classic late-night standup is good, but not great., March 8, 2008

The DVD promises "classic routines," but what it really should have said is "first time on televsion for some comedians." Jerry Seinfeld, Roseanne Barr, Brett Butler, Steven Wright, and Drew Carey are among those making their TV debuts. As a sort of historical document, this is kind of cool. But as far as bringing the funny goes, some of these routines are lacking -- most notably in Seinfeld's case. It's easy to see that he got way better through the years.

The rest of the set is fairly uneven; George Carlin is off his game here (though that just may be the restraints of broadcast TV), but Gallagher's routine was one of the most enjoyable even without his Sledge-o-Matic. It really varied from one comedian to the next. It was also apparent that the less-well-known comedians (Ronnie Shakes?) were less known for a reason.

This two-disc set isn't really as bad as I make it seem. There were some surprises from comedians that I wasn't really familiar with (as in I haven't heard their material) like Louie Anderson and Garry Shandling. Rodney Dangerfield was hilarious as usual. It's just that the shortcomings of the DVD are so obvious: first-time apperances that weren't very good, unknown and unfunny comics, etc.

I would recommend this DVD for fans of older comedy because there are some gems to be found here, but at the same time tell them not to expect a whole lot from the set otherwise.

3.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing study aid, February 8, 2011
As a working comedian, I thought this DVD would be a great study aid - watching the very first national appearance of some many iconic talents. Unfortunately, the editing made that impossible. Almost every comedian had his/her very first seconds cut out. Instead this "clip disc" jumps deep inside the comedian's set. The critical first seconds on stage gone. To add further insult to injury, the disc producer went so far as to cut out slower moments in the comedians' sets (they even cut precious minutes out of Wright's set - sacrilege!) A possible great learning tool, ruined by bad production.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another reason why Johnny's the king of late night., June 8, 2007
Sammy (Norfolk, VA) - See all my reviews
I loved it! Johnny Carson IS the King of Late Night and there's no two ways about it. It's great to be able to see him interact with many great comedians of that era. I think it's a great buy, though I feel like it excluded a few stand-up acts that I enjoyed when the show was still on television. Nonetheless, it's a great DVD set for the Classic TV savvy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Carson is the best!, July 2, 2014
I remember staying up every night to watch the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson and he is the best there ever was hands down! I don't recall seeing all of these comedians but they are definitely funny, some better than others but if you buy this you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Carson...It's The First Appearance Of Most Of These Comedians...What more could you want!, March 24, 2014
I refer you to the header....it says it all. Carson gave so many comedians of our generation and up until today their start that it will surprise you who all's here. It's worth the price for the memories and because comedy is also subjective you'll like some, you'll love others and a few won't be your cup of tea. That's what a line up like this is all about. I enjoyed myself immensely so I would heartily recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Johnny Carson, December 9, 2012
What more needs to be said. I'll have to type more because it makes me. WORTH EVERY CENT! I'd love to have the rest of the collections.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some funny, some not, February 15, 2009
The 2 disks feature several stand-up comedians, some of whome are really funny and others, not. George Carlin, for example, bombed. He was a funny comic in his early years, but not here. I can't imagine why this particular Tonight Show appearance was included. Drew Carrey is another bomb, but then I never thought he was very funny.

My favorites in this selection are Rodney Dangerfield, Gallagher, Rita Rudner, and Brett Butler. The rest are so-so.

The Best of The Tonight Show - Stand-Up Comedians (2 Discs)
Used & New from: $5.00