5.0 out of 5 stars Creative yet simple!!
This is the baking book I have been waiting for! I own so many vegan books, and I am an avid baker, and this book has great potential to be my new favorite ! I have already bookmarked half the book for 'to try recipes'!! Even my non-vegan friend read through my copy and was oohing and ahhing at every recipe

This has a fantastic variety of recipes: muffins,...
Published on September 2, 2009 by Hui Khoo

2.0 out of 5 stars There are better recipes out there
Published on October 19, 2011 by Bake Woman

5.0 out of 5 stars Creative yet simple!!, September 2, 2009

This has a fantastic variety of recipes: muffins, cookies, bars, cakes, pastries, yeasted breads etc. It even has a section for easy bake ovens for kids!! Too cool. Although I don't own an easy bake oven, I want one now just to try these super cute recipes

To me, this book is a perfect balance of creativity and simplicity. Meaning the recipes are simple to prepare, ingredients are not too wacky at all, yet the recipes are still exciting and they have cute perky names! :D Flavor combinations are definitely interesting

I have already tried 3 recipes after getting the book yesterday! Everything turned out great!

Most recipes are based on soy yogurt (at least the cakey/quick bread recipes).

I really like this book and I plan to try almost everything!! I can't wait!

Only critique is that some pictures here and there would be nice!

5.0 out of 5 stars Vegan Baking Made Easy & Delicious, September 10, 2009
I've been a big fan of Kris' ever since she released her fantastic book, Damn Tasty Vegan, so it's a pleasure to see her back with even more delicious treats in this fun book!
There is a strong dislike among part of the vegan community for baked goods that use egg replacer powder instead of, well, eggs, so you'll be happy to see that Kris uses none of the stuff in here.
If I had to pick one favorite from this book, I'd have to go for the Nuts For Carob Bars. Now I know what some of you might be thinking, carob = yuck, but wait: this is actually the recipe that turned my strong dislike for the so-not-chocolatey powder into pure and utter love.
Parents of little ones (or people who appreciate smaller treats) will adore the section in which bite-sized recipes with tiny yields are offered. With choices such as Lil' Yellow Cake, Lil' Chocolate Cake, Lil' Peanut butter Drops, and Lil' Thumbprints, turn your kids into bakers-to-be by letting them tap into their creative side while having fun and spending time with you! A brilliant idea I haven't seen in any other vegan cookbook yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars finally, December 14, 2009
J. Veit (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
oh dear god, chocolate chip cookies that actually taste like CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES. it's been so long. i've been trying - and abandoning - vegan baking recipes for three years; they were almost all lousy. now i've had this cookbook for one week and i've already made excellent, carnivore-fooling chocolate chip cookies (twice), sugar cookies, and brownies. my dairy- and egg-allergic 4-year-old is thrilled, and so am i. i also love the info on what happens after the oven, such as how to cool and store. why doesn't every cookbook have this? thank you, thank you, thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recipes that work, September 15, 2009
I live at high altitude so baking has always been a challenge but
I've been really happy with the results from this book.
So far I've made the gingerbread, raspberry lime muffins and garlic rolls.
Everything has turned out great, especially the rolls - breads don't always work for me.
There is a nice selection of recipes and I'm looking forward to trying the
Cherry clafoutis, boston cream pie, strawberry lemonade cheesepie, kahlua cake ...
Kris's instructions are clear and easy to follow and it's handy that all the recipes have a prep time and difficulty rating.
If you need to see pictures you can go to Kris's blog or flickr. nom, nom, nom, nom

2.0 out of 5 stars There are better recipes out there, October 19, 2011
I bought this book to give some variety to my repertoire of allergy-friendly baked goods for my son with dairy, egg and nut/peanut allergies. So far, I'm not really impressed. The recipes SOUND good, with tasty-sounding names and nice descriptions, but the two recipes I've made so far have been less than great. (Just FYI, I've baked professionally, so it's not that I'm a crappy baker who can't follow directions.)

I had high hopes for the Lime Coconut Bars, since regular lemon bars use eggs and there's nothing I could easily use to make my own substitute for him. Well... the crust, even though baked for the proper amount of time/browning came out SO hard, it was even hard to cut. Then the filling, again cooked for the proper amount of time and to the appropriate thickness, never set up that well in the fridge. Perhaps if you're looking for a cookie that is cold (it has to be stored in the fridge) and topped with an unappetizing-looking, pale green-flecked pudding, you'd be happy...but that's not what most people are looking for IMO. As a side note, the flavors weren't bad, but the appearance, texture and temperature made this a flop. (I may use some of the techniques for making him some pudding, though.) :)

On to the Peary Berry Muffins: again, high hopes. This recipe wasn't so bad, but the muffins never baked through even though I baked them until they had gotten as brown as possible, probably because of an excess of moisture from the pears (I used quite hard Anjou pears, so they weren't overly juicy, either). I sliced the muffins in half and toasted them, and the flavors were good enough to make them worth eating. A little Earth Balance margarine and it made a tasty breakfast.

I came away from the last attempt thinking that perhaps the bar is set a little lower for vegan recipes, since maybe people are so desperate to have a substitute for their favorite animal-based recipes! If I try another one and it has a different result, I will be sure to adjust my rating.

I gave it two stars since for the low price of the book I gleaned the pudding idea.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Cookies with Excellent Baking Advice, November 15, 2009
I own many vegan cookbooks and this is by far my favorite one for creating amazing baked goods that both vegans and non-vegans will adore. My personal favorites include the Chocolate Peanut Butter Shells and the gigantic Peanut Butter Cookies. One especially helpful part of this cookbook is the information about vegan baking in general and what substitutions can be made. The difficulty level and estimated time for each recipe are particularly helpful for planning and creating wonderful desserts. This book is a great resource and has quickly become my new favorite cookbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smashing hit!, October 14, 2009
D. Galis (St. Louis, MO United States) - See all my reviews
This book is pure gold. I want to bake everything in it and I've loved everything I've baked so far. I made the peanut butter shell cookies, snickerdoodles, and peach bundt cake for a party of omnivores and they had seconds, thirds, and fourths; they would not believe the decadent goodies they couldn't keep their hands off of were vegan.

These recipes are a solid triumph and I know I can rely on them to produce delicious goods that'll absolutely wow anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars FINALLY, December 27, 2010
I am no stranger to vegan cookbooks, I own four including this one. One specializes in cupcakes (VCTOTW) and the others are also by Isa Chandra. Don't get me wrong, those are lovely books, however it drives me insane when they call for expensive or hard to find ingredients. I just don't care enough to make most of them.

What an AWESOME change this book is! There is not a single recipe in the entire book that scares me away. I will happily try everything in this book just because the ingredients are so accessible or basic enough to have on hand. I'm also a fan of how she doesn't come across as pretentious. (As does another author...) In addition to that everything is very straightforward.

I made the "Oh-Joes Brownies" and they were phenomenal. I fed them to omnivores and they asked me, "Is this REALLY vegan??" I also made "Randy's Upside Down Sticky Muffins" and haven't been able to stop eating them. I had TWO for breakfast. So yummy.

A+ as far as I'm concerned. I can't wait to bake more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! I don't even bake but this book has made me a baker for life, November 13, 2009
I picked up this book for its whimsical cover. I am guilty of judging a cookbook by its cover! OK who doesn't? I was sold in the first pages. This book gives you baking tips, vegan equivalents to many things, a tutorial on how to use the book, etc. She doesn't just throw you to the sharks! Her thorough explanations make it super easy for the non-baking gal like me and for even kids to use! See pages 141 for the start of children's recipes.

OK so if I had to pick one recipe that sticks out, b/c honestly they ALL do, I would select the Choco-Chai coffee cake. Rated 2 whisks (check out her super cool rating system using whisks!), I knew this recipe was for me! All of her recipes do not require exotic ingredients yet the results taste like they are out of this world! In approx. one hour, I had a delish, moist crumbly cake that I didn't want to share with my coworkers but caved since everyone needed to taste this delish, easy to make cake. Plus I wanted to show my super carnivorous coworkers that vegan cakes CAN be moist without the cruel use of factory farmed eggs and milk.

I was so impressed with this book that I ordered 4 more copies via Amazon.com and have been giving them out for birthdays. Everyone has been super satisfied with the books and our tummies are singing happy songs to the delish food Kris has created for us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cookbook! Everything I've Tried Has Been Delish!, February 28, 2011
khubb (Santa Fe, NM) - See all my reviews
This is a fantastic vegan baking cookbook! You would never believe that these recipes don't have dairy, eggs, or butter. It's enough to make you wonder why you would ever bake with those things? Now, this is definitely not health food but these are fantastic treats that you can feel good about eating. Everything I've made from this cookbook has been wonderful. The Saucy Apple Bread and the Pumpkin Cinn-A-Zag Bread are great breakfast treats. The chocolate-vanilla swirl bundt cake is delicious--I brought it to a potluck at work and no one could tell it was vegan. This cookbook makes vegan baking accessible and proves that it can be just as delicious as "conventional" baking.

Rate and Discover Movies