5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommend for Rock Fans
Published on March 29, 2000 by geo cramer

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Debut Album
Three doors down exploded with a pretty good Debut album. Everyone knew the hits Kryponite and Loser, but the disc continued to be quite solid until near the end of it. Still a good performance and a good CD.
My top 5:
Published on April 27, 2004 by Scott

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommend for Rock Fans, March 29, 2000
geo cramer (cincy, OH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Better Life (Audio CD)
I've had this CD for awhile (promo copy) and got to see the band live in a small venue. If you like pure, hard rock'in, you'll enjoy most every song. The editorial reviewer is obviously a music snob & doesn't appreciate music for what it's worth. The 1st reviewer is also a screwball - there is nothing here anywhere that remotely sounds like Blink 182 or Semisonic. This band has similarities to Creed both in the vocals and guitar work. But, the music is a little more upbeat & the vocals more sincere. The format of their songs is similiar to an Oleander or Fuel album. The lyrics/choruses are catchy and make you want to sing along. If you like those bands, you'll enjoy this CD (alot). I have over 1,500 CDs of all types of music & this is one of the best of the hard rock CDs esp. for a band that's not yet established.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh hell yeah!, September 24, 2000
"metalikat" (Cincinnati, OH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Better Life (Audio CD)
Of course, following my alternative rock instinct I downloaded (and later bought) this cd. Expecting mediocre, this cd really got my attention. From the punky-edge of "Krytonite" to the more mellow toned down "Down Poison" and if great hits such as "Kryptonite" and "Loser" aren't enough in themselfs to convince you to buy "The Better Life" maybe this review will.
1. Kryptonite: Even though I'm not too fond of the radio version (with a slowed down chorus most notably) the cd version has the same upbeat guitars as the rest of the cd but a great punk vibe added to the mix. 2. Loser: An all around great song, my favorite on the cd. Brad Arnold really shows off his vocal capability's in this song. 3. Duck And Run: A very angry song, has a tad of heavyness to it. This song will still be one of the most played on the cd by me. I even stole a little quote out of it for my IRC quit message. 4. Not Enough: I love the perfect colabiration between the guitars and vocals on this. The guitars don't follow the tone of the vocals but the speed hits it perfectly, you don't always see bands pull that off this great. 5. Be Like That: A slow, yet satisfying song. An average song, but definatly a nice addition to the cd. So the whole cd isn't perfect, but no cd to this date is. 6. Life Of My Own: An emotional rollercoaster of a song, I think if i tried to quote this song for IRC the whole song would end up in it. Lyirically the best on the cd by a longshot. 7. Better Life: Jam it baby, yeah! I love this guitar riff. very groovy, baby! (I'm in an Austin Powers mood). 8. Down Poison: I'm voting for this one to be the next single. Just an outright great song. 9. By My Side: Another mediocre song. I like it, but it just doesn't compare to the rest of the cd. I guess I just now have high expectations from 3 Doors Down. 10. Smack: Probably the worst song on the cd, less than satisfactory work especially from this band. 11. So I Need You: More or less a good song. It seems to be a good ending song. Single worthy? Probably not, but hey it's still good.
With that being said, I would recommend this cd to anyone. A great cd, and I can't wait for 3 Doors Down's next one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic CD, June 1, 2000
This review is from: The Better Life (Audio CD)
This is one of the best debut albums I've heard in a long time. I was especially pleased because I normally wait to hear 2-3 songs from a new band before I run out and buy their CD. Boy, did I make a smart choice getting this one after only hearing the song Kryptonite. Very addicting music. Excellent bass player. If you like Collective Soul, Creed, Soundgarden, or Days of the New, you'll really like this. I'm confident that these guys will release more songs than just Kryptonite off this CD. In fact, it's not nearly the best song. This is a must have CD for anyone who claims to love good Rock & Roll. I look forward to album #2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I wasn't so "Lucky", October 21, 2000
This review is from: The Better Life (Audio CD)
I wondered aimlessly down the aisles of cds searching for that right cd to spend the rest of my gift certificate on. I had narrowed down my choice to Britney Spears. Although I wasn't really big on the whole pop scene, that darn "Lucky" song was trapped in my head. Well I decided to go over the aisles once more just to make sure...then I saw the 3 Doors Down Cd. "Ok," I thought, "aren't they the ones that sing Kryptonite?" I liked that song and although I hate buying cd's for just one song I dropped the Britney Cd and grabbed the 3DD cd and checked out.
Of course the first few days I did nothing but listen to "Kryptonite" but when I finally decided to listen to all of the cd, a thing which I rarely do, I was surprised. I couldn't believe someone wrote these songs about how I sometimes felt. Aside from "Kryptonite" there's "Loser" "Be Like That" (which I totally love!) and "Duck and Run".
I was taken aback by the lyrics and rhythms that I vowed to see them in concert. And on Tuesday OCt. 17 I did just that. If you love the Cd wait till you see these guys in concert! They totally rocked! That was the best concert ever! But back to the Cd...if you've ever had emotions of sadness, wonder and dispair you are not alone...but they do not sing the typical "oh poor me, the world sucks" kinda songs..."Duck and Run" offers hope and inspiration with lyric such as "this world can turn me down but I won't turn away,and I won't duck and run because I'm not built that way."
The cd is of all emotions and offers hope and is truly lyrically, musically, and inspirationally, the BEST Cd I have ever heard and they are also the BEST band I have ever heard. Oh and it doesn't hurt that they're from down south either.
3 Doors Down ROCKS!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great rock album for many different types of music fans, July 29, 2000
B. Sowers (Virginia, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Better Life (Audio CD)
I'm a really big hard rock and heavy metal fan, and I really like this album. It's definitely more mellow than most of the music that I listen to but it still rocks. Their music is kinda like Alice In Chains, Creed, Days of the New (the first album, not the second), and Matchbox 20. After hearing Loser on the radio a week ago I knew I had to get the album, that song is incredible. Loser, Kryptonite, Duck and Run, and Better Life are all great songs, but I found that those are the only songs on the album that stand out. The other songs just seem kinda bland. But I think the CD is worth it even for just those 4 songs. I'm writing this as a hard rock/metal fan, if you like more mellow rock you'll probably like the other songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some serious beats!, March 26, 2001
"widen76" (Lund, Sweden.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Better Life (Audio CD)
I'm from Sweden and actually saw 3 doors down on the tonight show with Jay Leno (or "Jay Leno Show" as it's called here) about a month ago or so. I had never heard of them before, news travel slowly sometimes. They were playing "Duck and run" I think. I'm into 80's metal and hardrock, like Accept, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden and I love heavy melodic guitar riffs.
That was what really caught my attention with 3 doors down, I haven't listened much to the other so called "alternative" bands of today, but this came as fresh breath of air! A solid foundation of bass and drums, nicely riffing guitars and real lyrics makes for some good melodic rock songs. Checked out some songs from the Internet (Napster actually) and then bought the record without hesitation. I especially like "Duck and run" along with "By my side", although the whole record is filled with solid songs. I just put the CD on and listen right through all of it.
The lyrics are a bit on the gloomy side that are a bit hard confront at first, but I really think the music itself prevails here. The drumbeat in the songs are amazing and I keep tapping my feet along with the music, it just rocks! I don't think 3DD have any airplay on Swedish radio at all and that's a shame really. Being a metal fan, this was somewhat of a different area to explore and I was pleasantly surprised of my findings, better late than never. This 3DD album seem hard to top, can the guys pull it off again? Time will tell, but this one's already a classic in my collection!
Greetings from Sweden!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a debut album?, June 18, 2000
Pete (Potomac, MD) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Better Life (Audio CD)
This band has truly amazed me. After hearing Kryptonite on the radio, I liked their style, but I was afraid that they would be a one-hit wonder. I got the CD rather reluctantly since I wasn't expecting much. Buying it is something I will never regret! The driving guitar and bass are excelent and well-controlled in all their songs. Arnold (Lead singer) is superb with his haunting yet focused and clear vocal work. Kryptonite is reason enough to buy this golden debut, but other songs are just as good if not better and will certainly receive radio air time as well. These songs include "Loser", "Duck and Run", "Not Enough", "Be Like That" and "Better Life". Bottom line, this is the best debut CD I have ever heard and this band has a lot of promise for the future!

5.0 out of 5 stars A New Door to Open, May 4, 2000
This review is from: The Better Life (Audio CD)
"The Better Life" by Doors Down is one of the best new alternative rock albums on the market today. Three Doors Down has been described as a mix between Metallica and Creed. With a blend of loud guitars and hard hitting drums, Three Doors Down has caught the attention of many music reviewers. Their number 1 hit single "Kryptonite" soared to the top of the charts thanks in large part to the dynamic voice of their lead singer. An intresting fact about Three Doors Down is that their drummer is their lead singer. This fact is very unusual for an alternative band. The band also has a slower side to them. This side is viewable in the song "Duck and Run." This song explains how important friendship is. The lyrics explain how to be a good friend by not leaving someone when they need you the most. People today have somewhat forgot how important friendship is. "The Better Life" is one of those CDs that you can put in your stereo and just let it play. You don't have to worry about skipping around trying to find a good song. Every song is good and unique in it's own way. If anyone is thinking about buying this CD, I highly recommend this CD for anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very worthy debut, May 3, 2000
Dubs (Atlanta, GA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Better Life (Audio CD)
This cd, while being very good, is not a landmark like "Nevermind", nor is it a punk album like "Enema of the State." The previous reviewer seemed to think of it as a hard rock album, which, again, I would have to say it is not. This cd is simply a rock cd in its purest form. The music in this album is simply about being good music. Comparisons to bands like Creed and Pearl Jam are unnecessary, while they may be subjectively true. The readers of this review must simply ask themselves whether they like real, honest to goodness, modern rock. If they do, this cd is for them. This cd is filled with delightful tracks, my favorite of which is Kryptonite. This is by no means the only worthwhile song on the cd, however, songs such as Loser are also examples of the quality of this cd. Because the main writer for the band is the drummer, this adds an interesting twist to the music, a twist which none can complain of, but which drummers themselves will find quite enjoyable. To sum up, this is a rock cd, with a very solid repertoire of good songs, with good music, and introspective vocals. True fans of rock music will enjoy this, and many others besides. There is something about this cd that makes it stand above the crowd of modern rock cds that are being recorded all the time. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcomed To Their World (We Said...), June 12, 2001
"wilted" (Suburban Virginia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Better Life (Audio CD)
Like most people, my purchase of the 3 Doors Down CD was because of the song "Kryptonite", which had been broadcasted with amazing success across a solid dozen radio channels in the area. My foremost comment is: I'm glad I did buy it, because listeners will quickly realize that "Kryptonite," while being a solid song, does not exactly match the style of the remaining songs - it leaves something to be desired, after listening the other tracks.
"Kryptonite," predictably, is the first song on the CD, but is followed immediately by perhaps the two *best* tracks, "Loser" and "Duck and Run". "Loser", another one of the tracks frequently broadcasted but often not unidentifiable to those who have come to associate 3DD's sound with "Kryptonite" is an excellent introduction to the deeper lyrics that follow the album's opening, as well as opening up the darker, more pessimistic mood that intensifies the band's deep, resonate sound. In my opinion, this second track is rivaled only by the third: "Duck and Run", a more uptempo piece with a heavy, agonistic view of the government. "So you call this your free country: tell me why it costs so much to live."
It takes too many words to describe the entirety of the album - you're just going to have to buy it. Believe me, the money's well spent. Those critics who claim that the lyrics aren't "meaningful" enough just haven't listened.
Top Three Tracks: Duck and Run, Loser, Down Poison.

The Better Life
The Better Life by 3 Doors Down (Audio CD - 2000)
Rate and Discover Movies