Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on March 30, 2011
I love this cookbook! I've seen other cupcake books that have a few good decorating ideas mixed in with mediocre ones, or that have a lot of cute ideas but don't offer new flavors beyond the basic vanilla, yellow, or chocolate cake mixes. This one is abundant in both inspiration for decorating and a variety of flavors.

Just about every recipe is accompanied by a beautiful color photograph to inspire creativity. The book starts with four basic cake recipes including white, chocolate, yellow, and lemon, plus five base icing recipes. These all serve as the base for creating dozens of flavors and textures for cupcakes that are anything but ordinary.

I made the chocolate chip cheesecake swirl cupcakes (p. 44) and my family enjoyed them. I used a boxed devil's food cake mix instead of the recipe in the book. Other flavored cupcakes I will try include Gingerbread with Cream Cheese Icing, Key Lime, Eggnog Poppyseed, Cookies 'n Cream, Butterscotch with Salty Caramel icing, Lemon-Blueberry, and Mocha Caramel Cappuccino. The Apple-Fig Bread Pudding Cupcakes with Maple Sauce also caught my eye. So did the Strawberry Colada Cupcakes. I could go on and on.

There are wonderful ideas for just about every holiday and occasion including children's birthdays, cupcakes baked in ice cream cones, floral themes, weddings and showers, and animal themes that are adorable. The lamb cupcake shown on the cover is perfect for Easter, as is another one inside the book featuring a bunny with marshmallow ears.

Anyone who loves cupcakes and enjoys decorating them will absolutely be inspired by this book!
0Comment| 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 28, 2011
So happy with this cookbook. The first chapter has basic cupcake and frosting recipes with no frills. The following chapters are chock full with interesting recipes and decorating ideas. The flavors are exciting and fun and I can't wait to make more cupcakes more often.

The decorating ideas are fun and not so complicated that I won't be able to achieve a reasonable likeness to the pictures.

The recipes give extra tips and tell you how you can use a box of cake mix if you don't want to make them from scratch. The one recipe I've tried so far (candy bar cupcakes) was extremely easy. The most complicated things I had to do was separate eggs and test for doneness with a toothpick.

Some of the recipes use the basic cupcake / frosting recipe and then add other ingredients to make them different & original.

I would definitely recommend this cookbook for anyone who likes to bake but is tired of the same old boring recipes.

*******Update 11.01.11 - I've been making cupcakes about twice a month now since I've purchased this book and get rave reviews for each new recipe. The added ingredients definitely change the flavors and the decorating (so far) is a snap.

I would recommend if you're going to start making cupcakes more often that you buy a few accessories to make putting the batter into the pan and frosting easier. I've purchased a simple decorating bag with two different large tips - with this I can frost 24 cupcakes in minutes and they look professional. I also love the 'batter scoops' I've purchased. It helps ensure that my cupcakes are of a consistent size - which again makes them look prettier in the end.
33 comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 3, 2011
My 15 year old daughter loves making recipes from this book! The root beer cupcakes are our favorite so far. The chocolate-peanut butter are fantastic.
I like the fact that most of the recipes have an alternative "box cake" recipe with them. The pictures are bright and colorful.
on August 20, 2014
The recipes themselves are great, however the book fell apart on the 3rd time opening it. Good thing the pages are numbered so I could at least put it back in order. I've had other cookbooks for years and be perfect. Very disappointed. Will have to find something to store the pages in so they don't get lost.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon July 18, 2011
Big Book of Cupcakes is a great resource for making cupcakes in cute, clever and classic ways. It's a thick book filled with more than 175 recipes with photos for each one. And, if you don't bake much from scratch, you'll be pleased to know that every recipe also explains how to create it from a boxed cake mix.

The Big Book of Cupcakes gives the background on cupcakes whose popularity started with children's parties, progressing to the current ones which are clearly designed for adult palates, with flavors like Mango Jalapeno. Four basic cake recipes and five frosting recipes are included as a jumping-off point for the cupcakes in the book and they even teach you how to frost cupcakes to get different effects. I loved the idea of mixing yogurt with whipped topping for frosting or topping frosted cupcakes with tiny, cute cookies or candies. Betty Crocker Big Book of Cupcakes also includes recipes by six baking bloggers who each contributed excellent cupcake suggestions.

The Simply Delicious chapter offers a range of scrumptious cupcakes -- from classics like Red Velvet (with marshmallow buttercream) to the more current flavors like Orange Soda, or Ginger and Peach. Bake Sale Favorites include Root Beer Float cupcakes, baked in ice cream cones and topped with straws, and Watermelon Slice cupcakes, plus many more best-sellers for your next bake sale. There are lots of fun ideas in the Kid's Party area, like Mini Cupcake Banana Splits or the adorable Campfire S'mores cupcakes, which have toasted mini-marshmallows on pretzel sticks cooking over a red and yellow hard candy "fire".

The Soft Pink Bunny cupcake and 4th of July Fireworks Towers are a couple of the treats in the Holiday area. There are so many gorgeous ideas, including the Hanukkah dreidels made from caramels and kisses, and the wreath made of poinsettia topped cupcakes. My favorite holiday idea was the Gingerbread Train made out of regular and mini cupcakes. There are also cupcakes for Special Occasions, with delights like Tres Leches cupcakes or a cupcake that look like a delicious cup of hot chocolate with a pretzel handle and marshmallows on top.

The recipes in the Big Book of Cupcakes are all beautiful, yet are actually very do-able, using easily accessed ingredients and simple techniques.
on October 3, 2011
The book has a good selection of cupcakes you can make but after making about 7 or 8 different recipes from this book I noticed that they all taste pretty much the same. I was expecting so stand out flavors but instead they just remind me of any old cupcake you can buy at any grocery store. I was hoping for much better.
on July 25, 2011
i just want to said, that this was the best buy that i did i love it... the recipes are truly simples, really amazing cup cakes in both ways from the scratch and from the box cake... i taste 4 recipes from this booth and i am more than happy with that and my family enjoy it a lot. right now i am making another recipes for my boss birthday party!! :)
on May 12, 2015
This book has great ideas but the recipes are awful. The cupcakes are super dry and they do not taste good. Also, I was very disappointed when I realized that you need to buy a mix for some recipes. Do not buy this book, just go to the library and rent and decide from there if you would like to buy it.
on February 10, 2012
I borrowed this book from my local library to scan the recipes and decide if it was worth buying. there are a ton of recipes in it along with different icings. i made the red velvet elf cupcakes with the cream cheese frosting in the front of the book for my husbands birthday/valentine's day. my daughter, husband and myself all loved them! i tinted the icing just for fun. since this was my first attempt at homemade cupcakes, im not sure if i overfilled the cups or if the recipe is off, but it only made 18 not the 24 it said it would. once i buy the book and try them again ill know which it was. either way, im pleased with the results! can't wait for a few friends to try them and give me their input.
on December 5, 2012
This book is "ok" if you plan to buy the suggested Betty Crocker mix and use it. I Regret making this purchase. There are recipes to follow if you want to make them from scratch but for some reason they don't come out nicely or even remotely similar to the 'real thing'. (Yes, I followed all measurements and times precisely.) It seems like this is a nice way to get persons to buy more of the Betty Crocker cake mixes...

I would not recommend this for anybody serious about baking or cupcakes for that matter... if it's for a kid who's just learning or you want to have fun with them fine.

The pros... has nice frosting recipes and decorative tips with photos.
The cons... the recipes need help! (Your better off buying their mix to go along with the frosting!)

Layout, Designs and Visuals= 5 stars, everything else is 2-3 at best.