Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Bible: The Epic Miniseries
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: DVD|Change

on March 3, 2013
We just watched the first part of this series and also an interview w/ the producers( Mark Burnett and wife Roma Downey, who played in the series Touched by an angel), which included additional clips.This series is really well done. It is an overview of the whole bible in less than 10 hours, so they had to leave some stuff out, to make it interesting and develop some characters. We felt ourselves drawn into the story. it is very engaging and the producers have done a great job keeping the thread through it all. I love how they connect all the dots and not just put all the stories next to each other.It starts w/ Noah in the ark, but he tells the story of creation and connects Adams and eves sin w/ the flood.They added their own imaginations to it,for example how Sarah would respond to the sacrifice. I also saw a nice clip of Jesus during the interview and Jesus is portrait as a gentle man w/ authority. Roma gets to play the older mother of Jesus( What's exciting, bec I always loved her as an angel in the Touched by an angel series.)Sure it can be graphic at times, but it also could be worse. It's well worth watching. Can't wait to see the whole series.
1111 comments| 537 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 25, 2013
Heartfelt, touching and so emotional. As a beliver, I was truly moved and emotional during the whole miniseries. Its a great ministry tool, and a great way to preach the Gospel to millions. Great Job!!!
66 comments| 276 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 31, 2013
Instead of pointing out the inaccuracies in the mini-series by ones who are well versed in the Bible. We should be celebrating all of the people who watched it and now have a hunger to learn more about our God. The excitement of seeing the Bibles stories on the screen with such a large audience is sure to spill over and win souls for Christ.
1414 comments| 178 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 30, 2013
This miniseries is the best by far of all the different movies made about God, Jesus, and the Bible. I already bought the movie so that my family for generations will be able to reflect back on these wonderful movies about My Lord and Savior.
0Comment| 93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 7, 2013
Just got the this and sat down with the family to watch. By Abraham story I realized there were parts missing. I can't believe that I waited this whole time and it is a watered down version of the tv series. Just one Example below.

Spoiler:
Example: When Lot is captured and Abraham rescues him. In the bluray after the battle Abraham goes to Lot and says "let's stick together as a family" the Lot says "no uncle, we move on to Sodom". Abraham then out of nowhere gives a strange look to Lot's wife and then tells his men "we are leaving". All of this didn't fit together well.
Now, in the actual TV version, after Abraham says "let's stick together" Lot says "no" then Abraham says "but we sacraficed so many of our men to save you". Then Lot says "we lost many men as well. We must move on to Sodom". Then Lot's wife says "the city is where we need to be. Come with us!" Abraham then gives her the strange look I was talking about.
The TV version made so much more sense! What is going on? Who knows what other parts are cut out from the TV version?? Never seen anything like this.

I am returning this and calling the company who made it. What a disappointment!! Did they think we wouldn't notice!?
4646 comments| 324 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 6, 2014
I remember hearing so many people rant and rave about how great this series was. The producers even came to Liberty University a few weeks ago talking about this and the upcoming "Son of God" movie, so I was pretty excited to see this for myself. I have watched all of the episodes. I am quite honestly very concerned with how this may have presented God to millions of people worldwide.

The show seems to me to be primarily concerned with entertaining the audience. There were unnecessary fight scenes, added drama, and extra plot fillers that quite frankly, took away from the story more than they added. Often throughout the entire series the show contradicted what was written in the Scriptures (Examples: The people of Sodom were trying to sexually assault the angels, not beat them up, and the angelic kung-fu was unnecessary; Judas was not a really nice guy who was duped into betraying Jesus. He was in charge of the money bag but was embezzling money the whole time and then sought to betray him). The depth and lessons behind each account in the Bible were glossed over or altogether omitted, and the character of God was in no way revealed throughout the Old Testament episodes. If the viewer had no prior knowledge of the Bible, he would think that the Old Testament was just one big blood-bath.
Many don't understand God's motives and actions in the OT because we focus on the judgment. But If you read the Old Testament, God explains why He does many of the things that He did back then. The Israelites were an instrument of God's judgment because the Canaanites worshiped demons, burned children as sacrifices to 'Molech', drank blood, and practiced witchcraft. Additionally, sexual deviance was rampant. Men would sleep with their mothers, sisters, daughters, aunts, in-laws, and even animals. Men were with men, women were with women, and they engaged in open prostitution (sometimes as a form of worship in their temples), and sometimes even forced their own daughters into prostitution. This list is by no means comprehensive. So if you think that's bad, there was still more. God gave them four hundred years to repent and they did not. Because of all these things God kicked them out of the land and gave it to the Israelites. Now back to the story:

There was a huge amount of content omitted from the New Testament, which is understandable I guess, if you can only summarize it all in roughly 5 hours. I'm not making a big deal out of that. But the concern stems from the fact that each account of Jesus' life and ministry was so reconstructed and tweaked that it was hardly comparable to the actual book. In fact, everyone's dialogue and actions deviate quite a bit from the real story. The beginning of each episode says that the show "endeavors to stay true to the spirit of the book". I think this is only lip-service. They changed words, conversations, and events for art's sake, which made the New Testament section very inaccurate. People at that time, like you and me, said what they said for a reason. If you add or take away words, or completely create new conversations (which happened often), you lose the context and the speaker's intended meaning. And if you add, subtract, and change historical events for dramatic effect or creative liberality, it ceases to be a reliable and accurate source of information and truth. Just ask yourself, if the spirit of the show is entertainment and artistic reinterpretation, is that the same spirit that the Bible was written in?

I know that no one can portray Jesus perfectly. But here, I felt that He wasn't just imperfectly represented, He was misrepresented. In this series, Jesus heals a bunch of people and draws a lot of attention to himself. In reality, Jesus did not seek to draw attention to Himself, and performing miracles was not his main interest. He was all about teaching people about who God really is, what true righteousness really is, rebuking religiosity, proclaiming truth, commanding repentance that leads life, and pointing people back to God, His father. But Jesus' words were severely altered, so that many of the most important things that He said were left out, and the teaching that was left was mostly paraphrased and reinterpreted (incorrectly). I suspect that this was done so that no one was offended. Jesus told a lot of people that they were wrong. That offended them so much that they murdered Him. Considering that we naturally aren't much different than them (human I mean), I'm pretty sure His words would have offended quite a few people today.

While for the creators of this series, this was said to be an attempt to present the Gospel to the world, I think they just made the Gospel more presentable to the world: the Gospel that was preached in the series had no power. We were never told why Jesus had to die or why He rose again. If you don't know anything about the Bible, why would you care if a nice guy got killed and then came back? What does that even mean? And after Jesus ascended, all the disciples were saying was: "Jesus is alive! He is the Messiah!". Not that those things aren't true, or part of the Gospel, but it is less than half of the entire message. Because the message is offensive. People weren't martyred, persecuted, and hated back then because they believed in a religion, but because they told you that you were wrong and that they had found truth:

You have a great problem, a terrifying problem. God is good, and you are evil. And because He is good, and loving, He must deal with evil, loveless people like you and me. A human is a depraved creature, he is morally corrupt, and he is Hell-bent on autonomy and self-will, even if it means his own destruction (and it does). He hates God because God is righteous, and he hates God's laws because they censor him and restrict his evil. He hates the truth because it exposes him for what he is and troubles what is left of his conscience. Therefore fallen man seeks to push the truth--especially the truth about God--as far from him as he can possibly remove it. He will go to any extent to suppress the truth, even to the point of pretending that there is no such thing as truth, or that if it does exist, it cannot be known or have any bearing on our lives. So when a man "gets saved", he gets saved from God. The justice of God is coming for you. And there is nothing we can do to be good in our own power, because we are enslaved to our own passions and desires. They are too powerful for us to resist. We live in misery, slavery, guilt, wickedness, and condemnation. And without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins.

But God's love is so amazing that He has the capacity to express love even to the objects of His hatred and wrath. So He clothes Himself in a human form, to teach us about God and offer His own life and blood. Jesus allowed Himself to be accused, ridiculed, tortured, abused, and nailed to a piece of wood, naked, only to be crushed under the full weight of His Father's wrath as He bleeding and suffocating to death. Why? So that God would not have to kill you and cast your soul into Hell for all of eternity. The best part of this is that Jesus laid down His life willingly, and God sacrificed His son willingly. They were not in disagreement in what it would take to save you. They knew what it would cost, and they desired to do it in love for you. Every person on Earth, yes, but specifically, for YOU.

The Spirit of God affirmed to all that Jesus was the Son of God by raising Him from the dead, and showing us that in Christ we would die to our old selves and live new lives. And that is not poetry. We do not need to become better people, we need to be literally transformed into new creatures. So God saved you from Himself, God saved you for Himself, and God saved you by Himself. You are miserable because your life revolves around grabbing at whatever vain, empty pleasure you think will satisfy the emptiness that comes from all of your unmet desires. The only thing that can satisfy you is Jesus. And the more of the world you forsake, the more of Him you can have. God is a real person, not a concept. You can feel, love, and know God every day, and He will never leave you or cast you away. In Him is your only hope of forgiveness, redemption, freedom, joy, love, and life. Eternal life begins now, and it is worth giving up everything to obtain it. Abandon all hope in any other god, good dead, or philosophy. Repent and believe in Jesus, the one who was sent from God to reveal God and reconcile men back to God. But to those who hate God even though He has done all this for us, even though we were ill-deserving, not just undeserving, it leaves a horrifying question: If God didn't spare His own son, what do you think He'll do to you? And what do you have to gain by trying to do everything in your own power and grab whatever you can on this temporary planet? You will lose your life, your soul, your pride, your joy, and everything you hoped to gain in rejecting God.

That message is hated even today.

I'm worried that God was not revealed. I'm sad that the world did not learn more about Jesus. I'm appalled that truth was watered down. I'm horrified that the Gospel was not preached. We've traded depth and meaning for cheap entertainment. And I'm concerned that so many Christians didn't even seem to notice.
1616 comments| 112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 15, 2013
When we were watching The Bible series and Moses was raising the red sea, my 11 eleven year old son said, "Dad is this real?" I said this is true power, not the Harry Potter movies. I like the fact that in this series they mention alot, "Through GOD everything is possible!".
44 comments| 136 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 30, 2013
I have read though a few hours of remarks from 1 star to 5 star reviewers. Once again, I find many of you 1 to 3 star bible thumpers ( I say that to get your attention),harping on a few points that we really do not know about- mostly the ninja angels- I wasn't there, I didn't see them in action-and neither did you! In this day of Christianity being threatened on all fronts, with the rise of radical muslim fundamentalists, you would think we ALL would rally around something that has struck a nerve, in a good way, to spread the word on our religion and Jesus Christ. I have been to some of you 1-3 star reviewers churches in my time on this planet. Trust me, your mean, clicky and drive people away from the teachings of the bible and of the son of God. Some of you are here now blasting this because it's not well done in YOUR eyes. have you given thought of the eyes of those who do not yet know of Christianity or the teachings of Christ? Yes, maybe they have to leave a great deal out, yes, perhaps you don't like to see Blacks and Asians in the mini-series. I don't know what your problem is, but many of you are ANGRY about this mini-series. The most watched cable program in history. A program that is bringing people to the lord Jesus Christ. Instead of embracing this-you fight it. I am sure YOU would have made a more "realistic" mini-series. To who's standard? No one is stopping you. Go and raise the money and make one you want. Until then I wish you would just shut up unless you have something good to say. Now go back to your church and brag about how much you love God and show people how righteous you are while you continue to give Christians a bad name. Thank you Roma for having the courage to make something that will be attacked. Thank you to the History Channel for airing this.
242242 comments| 430 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 27, 2013
I've watched the first four episodes on the History Channel and thoroughly enjoyed them and am looking forward to episode five. I've also read all 119 reviews here on Amazon and related comments. Sure, it's got a lot of inaccuracies, but it's entertaining (go ahead, 'Mitch H,' you can quote for the 20th time why one shouldn't distort what's in the Bible), it's piquing the interest of millions of non-Christians, and it's capturing the short attention span of children who are watching with their parents, who can hopefully fill in the missing parts and correct the inaccuracies (if they so choose, depending on the ages of the children). Maybe it will even spur those unchurched Christians (which is actually the majority of Christians) to revisit a Bible based church other than at Easter and Christmas. Besides, it's better than watching the Kardashians, Housewives of whatever city, etc. etc. Perhaps the commercial success of this mini-series will cause others to produce a lengthier, more accurate mini-series, because there clearly is a market for it.
on March 18, 2013
Isn't it always the same? The movie was not as good as the book was.
Ok, let's enjoy the movie for bringing millions of people together to watch the great story of Jesus. Are there some things that are not exact, YES. Is it completely inaccurate, NO.

I don't think that this movie should get a 1-star or a 2-star rating. That is just ridiculous. This is an exceptional miniseries depicting the greatest story ever told. Buy it when it comes out, you will not regret it.
55 comments| 157 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse