1,127 Reviews
 (1,028)

5.0 out of 5 stars love it
Published on January 13, 2012 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Less Nerdy, More Soap Opera
This series was hilariously funny at first, but as time has gone by it's turned away from the sci-fi humor and gotten more an more obsessed with the characters' love lives. I want more Schrodinger's Cat jokes; I don't care who they're sleeping with! I watched part of this season with my little brother, and it was so crude I found myself embarrassed to be showing it to...
Published 8 months ago by Aubrei

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, January 13, 2012
A cast of geniuses playing geniuses. Acting geniuses playing science geniuses. Brilliant, lovely actors all of them. The scenes in the "Bath Item Gift Hypothesis" when Penny gives Sheldon his "Saturnalia" (Christmas present) - his miracle gift - a signed napkin from Leonard Nimoy - is the BEST television I have EVER EVER SEEN!!! And I was RAISED on television. The laugh out loud factor keeps me happy ALL DAY... I can think of what I watched the night before and settle into a warm feeling that I will be seeing another episode later... And the DVD's ARE wonderful because there are no commercail interruptions...
Some of the same format as M*A*S*H*. And as brilliant writing ... doctors with a sidekick nurse - scientists with a sidekick waitress/actress. God, wouldn't I love to be in Penny's shoes...
Having grown up around scientists from MIT and CalTech, I can honestly say that Chuck Lorre and Bill Prady are insightful and gloriously honest!
I hope it just keeps going and going...

5.0 out of 5 stars The best show on TV continues to expand and develop!, January 14, 2012
W. Foley (Canandaigua NY) - See all my reviews
I started watching in season three and have purchased all the DVD sets of this show and anticipate with excitement the DVD set for Season Five.

I think the show has changed and is progressing in a positive direction. The characters are growing and maturing and with the addition of Bernadette and Amy, brilliantly played by Melissa Rouch and Mayim Bialik respectively, there is added depth and increased laughter.

I think the show is still fresh and funny and as long as it remains that way this viewer will continue watching!

5.0 out of 5 stars THE UNIVERSE IS STARTING TO CONDENSE, November 22, 2011
NeuroSplicer (Freeside, in geosynchronous orbit) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
In the cult tradition of SPARTACUS, the halls of every science department now echoes: "I AM SHELDON"!

Currently into its fifth season, THE BIG BANG THEORY proved to be one of the most funny TV sitcoms ever aired. Even if the show seems to have slowed down form its initial explosive impetus, I had not laughed out loud this hard ever since the best days of FRASIER and SEINFELD - and BIG BANG is **consistently** brilliant!

Sheldon Cooper is unavoidably the king of the show - the massive black hole this Universe revolves around if you will. A child prodigy, now a 24 years old theoretical physicist PhD with absolutely no social skills or known sexual drive. Sheldon may be on the verge of unifying the fields but cannot drive a car to save his life or break a smile even remotely resembling that of a mere homo sapiens.
His equally super-intelligent (yet sexually confused girlfriend), Amy Farrah Fowler, (which Sheldon finally claimed) received a far more enlarged role this fifth season. However, she was not a very good addition and she unbalances the show. Her character only manages to blur the focus form Sheldon (there is only room for one idiosyncratic genius!), diffuse a number of comically charged situations and gum up the show's flow.

Leonard Hofstadter is Sheldon's roommate and primary ...keeper. An experimental physicist himself (who Sheldon tries to "help" by steering him towards a teaching career), he juggles Sheldon's idiosyncrasies with his personal neurosis - not to mention his crush on his neighbor Penny. Which crush, like lunar eclipses, follow a predicted yet unavoidable periodicity.
Leonard tried his hand in a long-distance relationship this season with his friend Raj's sister, Priya, but he seems to be gravitating back towards Penny once more.

Howard Wolowitz is the only one with no PhD (and Sheldon will never let him forget it). An engineer (whose crowning achievements were a mechanized arm that is used in the space shuttle and a liquid waste management solution), he also managed to wreck the Mars Rover in hopes of landing a girl (but he made sure no one can prove anything).
The fact that he is a short man with a severely outdated and misguided sense of fashion, still lives with his mother, insists on using a collection of pickup lines straight from men's magazines advice columns - and yet carries himself as God's gift to women is just hilarious.
Howard used to be the show-stealer. Whenever he entered the scene you just knew he would offer such an outrageous perceptive that would render you speechless. Now, if only Howard's character was allowed to continue in its stellar trajectory. He has been weighted down by his fiancée, Bernadette, who is very likeable, but also is cramping his style. Not to mention that she, slowly yet inescapably, is turning into his scary mother.

Rajesh Koothrappali is a particle astrophysicist with a fashion sense close to absolute zero and a severe case of shyness - to the point that he cannot speak in front of women unless inebriated. He keeps using the "poor Indian" defense although his father is a rich doctor who drives a Bentley. His character, even in the fifth season, remains underdeveloped.

Then there is Penny. She is the proverbial good girl next door who came to California with stardom aspirations but so far works as waitress and suffers a sequence of bad boyfriends (Sheldon has in fact calculated the exact number of them, extrapolated from a bell-curve that started at 14)- and, obviously, from her neighbors.
One of the best fifth season moments: slipping in the "Who is the greatest?" cheer between Sheldon's patented knock of repeated "Penny!".

The show unavoidably makes use of previous sitcom combinations (the odd couple, the unfulfilled love-interest mismatch) but even if one manages to discern them they are used in such a fresh manner that all that is left is great entertainment!

The way to truly enjoy this is to own it on DVD. The writing is so smart and the jokes fly so fast (many of them non-verbal) there is just no way to savor it during its weekly air time. Well, may be Sheldon could but then again, who can compare his intellect with his?

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily..., May 15, 2012
This review is from: The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray+DVD+Ultraviolet Digital Copy) (Blu-ray)
...one of the best sitcoms ever created. Each episode is an event full of high-brow, intelligent humor the likes of which I can say I haven't seen in a very long time. This show is very deserving of all accolades it receives. I hope it stays on for years to come, as I think it's not only one of the best sitcoms, but some of the best TV entertainment ever created.

5.0 out of 5 stars bigbangseoson5, May 27, 2012
Great show loved it cannot wait for season 6,,,verry funny stuff, i would recomend this show too anyone that wants a good laugh, hurry up season 6 lol

5.0 out of 5 stars bat crap funny, November 5, 2011
Amy and Bernadette are great additions to the gang and it's great to see more of them, especially Amy with Sheldon. Greatly entertaining season, much like the other 4. Thank you, Bill Prady and the team of writers.

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE the Big Bang Theory, January 19, 2012
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete First Season is 'Friends' with smart people. That's not a dis on Friends: The Complete Series Collectionits just a statement. I am tired of TV that causes your brain cells to die. I'm tired of fart jokes and booger jokes. I love watching The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Second Season because you have to pay attention to get the jokes. They use big people words. They use an adult vocabulary, not a fifth graders. I've actually had to look words up. ex. Sheldon asks what it means when a girl wants you to meet her mother. Leonard looks at Sheldon and says ' what would you be if you were an inclined plane wrapped helically around an axis? response "I'm screwed." My 7th grader had to look it up. then he fell off his chair laughing, learned a few vocab words and got a new favorite saying. My mother who is 68 loves it too. There are quite a few references to sex,so be prepared to discuss some things, but it is addressed far more tastefully than Two and a Half Men: The Complete First Season or Modern Family: The Complete First Season. This is One of my favorite series on TV right now. Fun for all ages and both sexes and all walks of life. I also like that they are equal opportunity. They are equally irreverent about scientists, college education, rural upbringing,conservatives, men, women, commitment, survival. They pick on everyone equally. Watch The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Fourth Season soon and often!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finest TV Writing and Performances I've Ever Seen, July 31, 2012
This is the best writing currently appearing on television. Nothing else comes close.

The wit, creativity, characters and the gorgeous character development is the finest TV entertainment available on the planet right now. Even the peripheral characters and guest stars are perfectly woven into the story.

As proof, I've never purchased TV entertainment for home viewing. Ever. Until the BBT. I recently purchased the DVDs for Seasons I-IV, and I'm buying V today. I could watch each episode a hundred times.

Its so funny, unpredictable, and well done that I get totally involved with each episode. Recently I've been watching the show while working out (still on season I). I forget I'm actually on the rower!

The writers deserve Emmy Awards for best writing in the history of television entertainment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh out loud funny!, June 24, 2012
Our whole family loves this hilarious ensemble comedy show.

Sheldon is an eccentric physicist with Nobel Prize potential and limited social skills. His roommate, Leonard, is a run-of-the-mill genius by comparison; also brilliant, but self-aware enough to know there is more to life than physics research. Their social group is rounded out by Raj, another physicist who is to shy to talk when women are present (unless he has had a few drinks) and Howard, the mere engineer of the group. These four friends are fairly content to watch science fiction films, collect action figures, and chase girls unsuccessfully . . . until they meet the girl next door (literally), Penny, the aspiring actress and "dumb blonde" who can teach these four brilliant scientists a thing or two about enjoying life.

The characters are all likeable and relatable in their own ways and mostly nice to one another.

You might think these characters are over the top, but I have met enough geeks to know that people like this really do exist . . . and really are entertaining.

Fun for the whole family; we haven't yet seen an episode that didn't make us laugh out loud!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, August 18, 2012
Amazing=this show! I am completely obsessed with it! I can not wait for the 6th season to start! I have laughed so hard and will continue to laugh as long as this show is on the air!

$54.97 $23.75