5.0 out of 5 stars A great starter book for the beginning juicer
Published on May 20, 2005 by The Laundry Never Ends

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but not what I was looking for
Published on October 25, 2011 by joe j

5.0 out of 5 stars A great starter book for the beginning juicer, May 20, 2005
I recently inherited a lower end store bought juicer ( Juiceman, it is a very nice starter model, btw.). I ordered up a handful of juicing books through my library system and 'The Big Book of Juices & Smoothes' came in first not only to my house but the first for ease of use, layout & design and understanding. It is layed out according to the main product you want to use, say you have a bunch of carrots as the main ingredient, you go to that section. It is all well thought out.

After just a week of juicing for breakfast and an afternoon snack, I have to say that I am hooked and look forward to trying veggies and fruits of the exotic nature that were eschewed before due to the " How do I prepare this?" factor.

Natalie Savona has a way of mixing together fruits and veggies that would normally make you think, " Ugh...that sounds awful." but after trying a few root veggies and citrus fruit combos of hers, I've found her little comments about each drink are spot on.

Under every recipe is a Star Chart that rates the following:

Energy, Detox, Immuinity, Digestion and Skin. One to Five star rating of what exactly that recipe will help you in whatever area you feel you need. This is very nice as you can flip right through the book when you have a raging cold and look for the 5 Star Ratings on Immunity to see what produce you have on hand to help nourish your body.

An example of a recipe: #130 Easy Morning

3 carrots

1 apple

1/2 orange

1 stick of celery

1/2 inch of ginger root.

I prefer this now over regular orange or apple juice in the morning. So do my kids, who are 7 and 5. They also enjoy putting the fruit into the juicer and watching it get pulverized. YAY!

The plus side of juicing is taking out the pulp mush and putting it into your compost. It's a win-win situation, really. Good for you. Good for the Earth. YMMV :)

I liked this book so much, I am buying it after a very satisfying test drive from the library system.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book, January 12, 2007
Is a lifesaver. From getting so overwhelmed with the exotic concoctions in the juice/smoothie books which sit on my shelf, I happened to pick this one up at the local juice bar. The girl there apologetically said it wasn't for sale, but from what I read whilst standing there, I have to say I have never had a book impress me so much in so few seconds. I ordered one, and the rest is history.

1. Brilliant,logical layout

2. Non overwhelming recipes (for those of us who don't want to live in the kitchen)

3. Surprisingly informative, from the basic fruit/ veg nutritional facts at the start to the 1 to 5 star rating after each recipe. Brilliant.

I love this book. It is my favourite, and as a raw foodist, I have stacks of books.

If you buy it, you'll see what I mean.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very few ingredients needed for tasty smoothies, October 1, 2005
Nancy Dark (Colorado Springs, CO) - See all my reviews
Originally I bought this book for my father in law, who is a cancer survivor and on a liquid diet. I thought the immunity and energy smoothies would help. He loves the book, b/c he was trying to create his own smoothies, with some gross results. (not to mention a huge waste of money on the ingredients!) Then I decided to buy the book for myself. Last year I had purchased a $$ vita-mix blender from a home show and had never used it..(which pissed my husband off immensely) The book of recipes it came with had so many ingredients, some, in which my opinion werent the healthiest. This book is excellent, with most smoothies having just 3-4 ingredients! Our fave is Morning Mash, with an orange, 2 bananas, a pear and 8 tbsp of apple juice! Delicious!

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but not what I was looking for, October 25, 2011
This review is from: The Big Book of Juices and Smoothies: 365 Natural Blends for Health and Vitality Every Day (The Big Book of...Series) (Spiral-bound)
This book as everyone else said has lots of good tasting juices and very easy to follow and easy to us. I however am looking for a book of juices that are healthy as a primary factor and then good tasting as a second, while all of these are not bad for you they are mainly fruit with very little veggie juices. Sure most of them have a veggie or two but not what you would expect by its title.

If I just wanted a good book about store bought alternative juices then this is excellent...

Kale, the worlds super food is hardly used in any of these, with it being as good as it is you would think there would be a chapter with this in it, no! there are a few chapters with viggies but far less than fruits.

I have two other books that have many more good "Green" recipes but not nearly as easy to use, they are complete books with data, facts nutrition info (including calories) one is called Juicing by Michael T Murray, the other Juice Fasting and Detoxification. These have lots of good recipes, BUT these books are not just for that so there are not nearly as many as in the book I'm reviewing here.

So all in all it is a good book if you just want some pop or store bought alternatives, but not if you want to go on a health kick or juice diet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners, July 24, 2010
This was the first recipe book that I bought on juicing, and I really enjoy it. It gives a great and easy to understand introduction on juicing and why it is so beneficial. Another great point of the book is the star ratings based on skin, immunity, energy, etc. The back of the book even gives lists of ailments and then tells you corresponding recipes that are good to alleviate the symptoms.

The only downside to this book is it is mostly fruit and doesn't have many vegetable juicing recipes. Carrots are used, but for the main ingredients there isn't celery, spinach, parsley, etc. If you're looking for an introduction to juicing and want to get into it slowly, I would recommend starting with this because the fruit mixtures are great and tasty and then you mix a little carrot in them and as you continue, experiment and include more vegetables.

Overall, great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Try this for 2 weeks, January 8, 2005
No one likes to eat vegatables and this is such an easy way to do it! The book shows you certain combinations of vegetables and fruits to detox, cleanse and add energy to your body. I FELT results in 2 days. I bought a juicer at Wal-Mart for $50.00 and left it on the counter and once or twice a day I would juice a meal instead of eating empty caloeries and I felt INSTANT results I had energy and was not slugish in the late afternoon.

This is also a great way to get kids to get more nutrious things in their body. The drinks look gross sometimes BUT when you follow the combinations on the book the fruits overpower the vegatables in taste and you do not taste them especially the BEETS!

Anyone who wants to make an easy change in their diet can do this it takes 5 mins to do and clean up and the benefits are so wonderful!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent juices, January 4, 2006
I recently bought this book and so far I really love it and enjoy every juice I make. I love the idea that she arranged the juices by the kinds of fruits and veggies you want to use and that every juice has ratings for immunity, detox, skin, energy and digestion.

I higly reccomend this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good recipes, but lacking in organization and information, February 20, 2010
In my opinion this is just a book of recipes thrown together. It reads like a typical cook book. I have been juicing on and off for 10 years now, and there are far more informative books out there than this one. There are some good recipes in here, but it would read much better if it were organized according to her 5 star rating system, such as all the best juices for detox, the best for weight loss, etc. Many people use juicing for a specific reason such as weight loss, ailments, etc. Books that teach what juices are best for what and the recipes available are the best types of books out there. An example would be Juicing for Life by Cherie Colbom.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book but could be a little better, December 11, 2008
Definitely a great book for a beginner juicer! You CANNOT imagine how great some juices taste! The recipes are simple and straightforward to make and after you see some of the recipes, you almost feel like trying new ones on your own. For those of you who have never tried anything other than bottled juice, this will definitely be a pleasant change. The only thing I find missing in this book (which is why I gave it 4 stars) is some kind of calorie count for the juices. It is certain that the primary source of calories for all juices (not smoothies) will be only carbs and they may not be too much but it will be definitely a lot easy to add a juice to your diet plan if only you knew how many calories the glass of juice contains. Since there is very little information for each of the juices given in the book (and a lot of empty space around it), it will be a real plus if approximate calorie count is added (since calorie count will depend on the quantity of juice extracted which in turn depends on the size of the fruit or vegetable). But otherwise, definitely recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, July 9, 2008
Annette Sonnenberg (BOWLING GREEN, OHIO) - See all my reviews
I just love this book. The first great thing is that it is spiral bound so you can leave it open to the recipe while you make it. There are hundreds of recipes for juices, smoothies, frozen fruit slushes, fizzy quenchers and even some fruit infused teas. Every drink has a side bar on the things it is good for ie: detox, energy etc. and in the back it lists various ailments and which drinks are good for them.On top of this all the drinks I have tried so far have been wonderful. I am very pleased with this book.

Rate and Discover Movies