Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Big Book of Knitted Monsters: Mischievous, Lovable Toys
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on February 3, 2011
I hesitated to write this review because I really love Rebecca Danger's designs in general, but I felt like some balance was needed to the previous very positive review. I have bought several of her patterns in the past and had high hopes for this book. The book contains patterns for a bunch of cute lil' monsters, but there's very little variation among patterns or between the patterns in this book and the patterns she's previously published. I also take issue with the title - I don't think 20 very similar patterns make a "big book" of knitted monsters. I felt like Rebecca Danger was trying to tell a story with this book, but I couldn't really understand what that story was.
on January 28, 2011
Having made some of Rebecca Danger's wonderful independent designs before, I was eagerly looking forward to this collection of her work. I have not been disappointed, this book is the epitome of her quirky style and excellent professional design skills. From Angus the Attic Monster to Bea the Basement Monster, you'll soon have your whole house filled with squishy, lovable knitted friends.

The 20 monsters (22 if you count the babies) in this book all share the personality and style I've come to associate with Rebecca's work, yet each one is unique and irresistible in their own right. When you consider the variations possible with yarn weight and color, as well as the possibility of combining different pieces from each design, this book alone could provide with years of knitting enjoyment.

As with her individual patterns, the instructions for each monster are clearly and concisely written, and well illustrated with photos of important steps in the process. Patterns also contain a list of materials (yarn, needles, and notions) for each of the two example pieces of every design. Of course with Rebecca's excellent introductory talk about yarn/needle types and the included standard yarn-weight system chart, you can use your knowledge to create a monster in whatever size and color you desire.

Several important techniques to these designs are illustrated in the beginning of the book, including one of the better demonstrations of magic-loop that I've seen. She does assume working knowledge of basic knitting and certain other techniques including kitchener stitch and 3-needle bind-off; but if you are a beginner she directs you to great free resources online to help learn the needed methods.

I've already started on a monster for my home, and I'm sure there will be many more in the future. I suggest you pick up your needles today and get knitting, I say we should make Rebecca's monsters take over the world!
on April 26, 2012
I've been knitting for about three years now. Pictures of items knit from her patterns are adorable. However, as one reviewer stated, they're very repetitive. After comparing prices on Amazon for the book versus Etsy where she sells them individually, I determined it was by far cheaper to buy the book than to buy 3 of her patterns to make monsters with mostly only difference in the head and limb construction. I don't regret the purchase specifically because it is less than what I would have paid had I bought three patterns directly. You'll learn how to knit in the round, binding off, seaming, and a teensy bit on shaping via increasing and decreasing the number of stitches. Those are great skills to get comfortable with.

If you're not a confident knitter yet, this is a good buy. The monsters make quick, great gifts for people of all ages and she's got wonderful photos and lists web pages that will help you learn standard knitting techniques. I suspect there's many a person in an office job that would enjoy having a monster to personalize their space. One in a care package to a college student would also be appreciated.
I had high hopes for this book. I have found the author to be creative,imaginative, and her patterns are well written and easy to follow in the past. This is still true in her book. I was hoping to find patterns in this book to make gifts for boys, not the usual cutsie-pooh knitted toys I've done before, things like her wonderful robot patterns.
Well, ok, the first monster was not like anything I've done before, and I think it would be something some of the guys would like. The background story was adorable and funny. The second seemed a lot like the first, with minor changes, and a different story. The third was very similar to it's cousins. And so on throughout the book. Basically, if you do one, you're pretty much done. The patterns are very repetitive. They are just a lump with arms and legs. Really!
A better plan would be to let your child draw a picture. Then cut out a front and back, arms and legs, from felt and sew them together. Easy, simple,faster, cheaper, and I'm sad to say, more creative.
I recommend buying some of Rebecca Danger's patterns from Etsy. There are much better ones from her than these.
on March 17, 2016
I have had this book for a few years, and I can't tell you how much I adore it! I've made monsters out of this book at least 50 times, but every child I meet falls in love with them and I have ended up giving them away. Currently, I'm making some to keep for myself. They are wonderful, imaginative, and easy to make while watching TV or talking. I have dressed them in hats (on suggestions from some of my recipients) and the kids adore them and so do the adults! I have used them as samples for children's beginning knitting classes and they immediately make squares as their first projects to turn them into their own "monsters". I love how it is written and is still one of the most useful books I own. Thanks, Rebecca. Every knitter should have one!
on November 7, 2015
Cute, cute knitted monsters! I'm a little disappointed that instructions for knitting these on circular needles, without having to learn the "magic loop" technique, are not included. I'm going to attempt to learn it, but it looks very tricky.
on January 16, 2012
I love this book. I basically bought a bunch of "Monster" knitting and crochet books because I work full time during the day, am a full time single mother, AND a full time student. I spent a LOT of time working on the computer all night after I've put my daughter down for the night (8 hours minimum on the computer) and I have some pretty serious and debilitating back joint and bone injuries from previous sports injuries to a drunk driver hit and run that left me in the ICU.

SO needless to say, I needed something to help me relieve my back/shoulder/neck pains after night after night of computer work. Thought what better way than to knit and crochet little monsters and animals? Browsed through books and thought this one might be nice for a "beginner" in the field of non-traditional knitting...all I know how to knit is scarves. So this book taught me knitting in the round, magic loop, knitting with double ended needles, and basically everything I could need to know to advance my skills.

There are key terms with a key in the back of the book should you ever feel lost as well as review on basics-everything from casting on to yarn overs and the works. It's a terrific book for teaching someone who wants to learn how to make creatures. This is a great beginner book that will help you to advance your skills so you can one day invent your own creatures of just hone skills you already have...and it will also provide hours upon hours of relaxation!

Enjoy!
on March 16, 2012
I can't say enough good things about this book. My son (he's 5) actually found this on Amazon and insisted that I order it. He was in love at first sight! For the first two weeks we had it, he carried it everywhere, showed it to everyone, and we pretty much read it as a bedtime story. He learned all the names of the monsters and after much agonizing finally picked Lurleen as his first monster for me to make.

Making the monster was as fun as reading through the book. The instructions are so clear and presented in a linear fashion. None of this business where the pattern is off to the side and you have to connect the dots to get everything together. Things are line by line and I know even my daughter could follow one of these patterns. I really appreciate the clear, simple layout. I am relatively new to knitting and learned so much from this book--including how to magic loop.

My kids have moved on to mixing up the parts from all the monsters and it just so fun to see each monster emerge from my needles. Monsters make great gifts and everyone who sees them wants one. They are irresistible and you can knit them out of anything you have in your stash. I highly recommend this book to knitters of all levels. This books is filled with fun, rewarding projects that everyone will love.
on January 14, 2013
There is nothing about Rebecca Danger's patterns I don't love. They are easy for even a relative beginner and the end result never fails to delight. There are twenty patterns in this book, but by mixing and matching pieces there is no end to the variety of monsters you can make. In addition to the excellent patterns, every monster has a sweet little paragraph or two of story. My daughter leafs through this book just for fun, admiring all the adorable monsters and choosing passages to have me read. If you are a knitter with kids or grandkids, or just a lover of cute toys, you must add this book to your library.
on December 26, 2012
I bought this book to make some little gifts for the class I was student teaching in. The instructions were easy to follow and the kids were delighted to have their own little monsters. I liked how there were a few different sized monsters to choose from, since I needed to make 16 this was very appreciated. Often little stuffed animal books are crochet patterns, so I was thrilled to find such a cute knitted patterned book