Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Amethyst Jewelry Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

on September 24, 2012
The author has written several books on Lionel (and other hobbies) and while they are NOT comprehensive, detailed books, they do a good job introducing you to the hobby and the things you can achieve with Lionel Trains. Even the advanced modeler can pick up something here and there. Overall, a good purchase.
*Just a 'heads-up' to anyone looking to purchase this book, but Barnes and Noble bookstores has a hardcover version at $9.95! While I bought my copy at Amazon last year, when it first came out, at the higher price, I also bought a hardcover copy from B&N for durability and ease of use. Just saying.
on January 19, 2012
This updated book is an excellent guide for guys like me who, after 30 years, unpacked their 1950s Lionel set and got hooked on making the layout they always wanted as a kid but couldn't afford. Lots of insider tips that my local train hobby store owner doesn't have time to answer. Inspirational pictures of very creative dioramas --- my kids like that!
on July 31, 2012
For someone who wants a general introduction to Lionel products and the thought process that goes into making your own custom layout, this is the book for you. This is in no way a step by step book. And you don't want it to be, because it would simply be too exhaustive to be practical. This steps you through the process. It takes you to a general working knowledge of all the Lionel components, and makes you ready to start researching the specifics. For instance, this book does a great job of explaining 0-72, and the fact that it will let you run all the trains in the catalog. It explains very well the fact that 0-72 is also difficult to achieve, because it is a 5 foot radius, and for those of us who don't have unlimited space, we may not be able to run the grandest and longest trains and cars in the catalog. It also does a great job, explaining wiring. It explains the various bench options in detail, but does not give step-by-step directions on how to build it. Bottom line: it doesn't give you a step by step, but it gives you working knowledge, and that is why this is why this book is indispensable.

So what I am trying to say, is that this is a must read, but it will not be the last book that your purchase, either.
on January 13, 2013
I read the reviews on this book after looking at some other resources that led me to the purchase of this book. I found that there was a lot of information regarding model trains but it did not lay much of the foundation needed to fully explain them. For example it did not define a "reverse cut off" or explain how it works. I felt very lost when it referred to these in the text and pictures.

I bought this book because many of the reviews said how they enjoyed the track layouts. I used computer software to recreate these layouts and found myself guessing as to which pieces of tracks were used because the layout designs didn't offer enough information or mislabeled track sections. I used two different computer programs to try these out.

I think with help from other experience model train enthusiasts I would have learned more from the book but since I don't in my immediate area I felt completely lost as a beginner.
on January 23, 2012
I ordered this because I've always been interested in Lionel O gauge trains since the early 60's. Recently I've experienced a resurgence of interest in this minature marvels. I still have the O gauge sets I had when I first started and I'm contemplating the eventually building of an O gauge layout. Consequently I wanted to start reading up on refurbishing and restoring some of my old locomotives and other rolling stock and I thought this book would be a good place to start. I breezed through most of its pages pretty quickly and learned that it covers a broad range of topics that I need to know about all the vintage stuff I have as well as the modern and current Lionel trains and accessories. I was pleasantly surprised by all of the vibrant color photos that fill the pages of this nice book. It is easy to read and follow. I suspect once I get more fully back into this longstanding hobby, I will refer again and again to this book.
on May 16, 2014
If you collect Lionel Trains, you must have a copy of this book. It touches on everything about Lionel Trains. My favorite section is on Track Layouts, you'll get some great ideas.
on December 20, 2012
This book is just full of info that any person needs to know about Model Rail Roads - I am building an 8x8 layout that will fold up against a wall ------
on October 29, 2012
This book is amazing!! My son-in-law just loves it and I look forward to seeing all the things he will find in it to use with his train building.
on January 21, 2014
So far this is the best instructional book pertaining to 0 Gauge Model Railroading I have found and it was at a reasonable price.
on August 13, 2014
Every thing you wanted to know about Lionel Trains. Every Lionel collector should own one.