Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Big Green
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

Format: DVD|Change

VINE VOICEon March 31, 2008
Let's be honest. You already know the beginning, middle, and end to this movie. You know it even if you haven't watched it. Nonetheless, is an enjoyable, albeit incredibly predictable Disney sports flick. Basically, it's Little Giants with a European translation of Football.

When the film begins, an attractive, teacher named Anna Montgomery (Olivia d'Abo) arrives in a small town as a visiting teacher - sort of a teaching abroad half-year deal from England, but without the bad teeth. Anyway, she's a horrible teacher; so she decides to teach her lessons via soccer indoctrination. The kids would rather be doing something more fun, like covering themselves in Cheetos and letting birds eat off of them.

Anyway, the kids name their team after their field in a nearly-stolen-from-Mighty-Ducks concept, and the teacher gets them to play soccer. Naturally, the kids suck when they first begin to play. They're so bad it's almost as if each kid suffers from vertigo or something; they completely lack any sort of athletic ability or coordination. And, the fat, red-headed kid from Sandlot plays a goalie who is afraid of the ball (like Goldberg the goalie from Mighty Ducks), and sees opponents as ninjas, terminators, and zombies (like visions of puppyheads from Waterboy).

Soon enough, just as the sun rises, the movie follows the Disney movie sports formula. The kids that sucked start to win, lose to the best team in town inevitably coached by a jerk, the kids learn life lessons, insert goofy character (Steve Guttenberg), at least one kid on the team overcomes some sort of difficulty, and the good guys vs. bad guys finale for this genre. I'll let you guess who wins.

It's typical, easy to pick apart for a paint-by-numbers script and mediocre acting, but it's still fun enough to enjoy.
on April 9, 2016
I think I buy these movies more because I "remember" watching it with my children when they were little and it brings back warm, happy feelings. I watched this by myself the other day and it is cute. But there was something missing...it simply is not the same without kids being there as well. Still a very fun, happy ending type movie and I don't regret making this purchase. Good for the family :)
on January 20, 2016
Rented The Big Green after having a debate about the differences between it and Little Giants. While Rematching it, I remembered how uplifting and funny this movie really is. Its worth watch for any soccer fans who root for the underdogs!
on November 21, 2014
IF i bought it and its rated 4 or 5 STARS then YOU should WATCH it or READ it. and if your don't end up liking it then you have no sense of good movies so i really don't know how found any of these amazing products
on December 30, 2012
There isnt much to say about this movie.

It's not completely interesting to most people, but it is a great movie for anyone looking for a movie that you could leave your kids watching without you needing to be there to fast forward anything.

Kids who play soccer would love this movie.
It is an uplifting happy movie that isnt depressing at all.

Find it cheap and you have a great addition to a collection for your kids.
on April 22, 2013
He likes it a lot. Brings back memories for me. :o)
The reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because the packaging was basically just a plastic bag wrapped around the DVD - it was supposed to be a surprise - gift for his Easter basket - but he new it was a DVD when he got the mail. It wasn't bubble wrapped or anything.
As far as the actual DVD playing goes, it just barely skips in one place each time we watch it. We can't see any scratches or dirt or anything on the DVD itself, so I don't know what to do about it. It doesn't bother my son, so I'm not interested in pushing the issue.
All in all, I'm pleased to "pass down" this ol' gem to future generations. ;o)
on November 21, 2015
This is one of the great kids movies. My children loved it when it came out and we have enjoyed it many times over the years. I purchased this DVD to give to my nephew so that the laughs, joy and memories of the Big Green can be past on to him and his family and friends. Great movie for kids and adults.
on April 20, 2015
Now that my son is playing soccer on a recreational team, our family really enjoyed this film. It's a great lesson on children learning to work together, regardless of ethnicity, and becoming one team instead of individual players. It also taught the kids to respect their coach/teacher and each other. Plus it got the parents involved supporting their players.
on October 13, 2011
A family favorite. We could not find this in the stores anywhere and was thrilled when we found it on Amazon. My kids are 19 and 16 and played soccer all through growing up. My son is starting Varsity Goalie for his high school. We all still get a kick out of watching it.
on April 20, 2013
It had been a long time since I had seen this movie. Now my kids are in soccer so I ordered it thinking it would be applicable. There is bad language, unnecessary adult themes and models of poor behavior between kids and adults all the way through the movie.