Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Format: Amazon Video|Change
Price:$2.99

on August 17, 2013
The reviews here are pretty funny, I think these people thought they were looking at the next big award winning comedy or something. It is just a grab some popcorn and relax for a couple hours type of movie. Nothing amazing, nothing terrible. Should it have been better with all the stars in the cast? Perhaps. But at least if you know this going in maybe you can enjoy it more and not be set up for failure like these other folks.

It had its funny, it had some heart tugs, it had some raunchy, and a few yawning moments. All in all it was a decent comedy and I did not think I wasted my time with it. It is a slow paced comedy, won't have you jumping out of your seat in laughter but you should smile throughout most of it.

If you need a lighthearted movie night flick and nothing else is jumping out at you, this will do.
44 comments| 151 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 1, 2013
I thought this movie was great! It made me smile and laugh a lot. I definitely think it is worth watching! I love movies that make me feel good and this was one of them!!!
on September 2, 2013
This is a light-weight comedy, with appealing actors and actresses, and a predictable script. The main problem is that the central conflict is not very believable nor interesting. Having said that, if you want a relaxing evening with light enjoyment, this one fits the bill. Deniro is always fun to watch.
on March 2, 2015
This movie was a comedy about a wedding. Many mistakes & Skelton's came out within these families. I like the actors in this movie but have to say this did not portray them at their best. I was a little bored but watched the entire movie. I would probably not recommend this movie but I have sat through worse movies than this.
on May 18, 2013
The theme of this film is that "there are different kinds of love." Alejandro (Ben Barnes) was adopted from Colombia by Don (Robert De Niro) and Ellie (Diane Keaton). Alejandro is getting married to Missy (Amanda Seyfried) whose parents (David Rasche/Christine Ebersole) are embarrassingly white. Don is divorced and married his mistress Bebe (Susan Sarandon). After a decade his wife and ex-wife get along very well. Robin Williams plays the priest that will preside over the ceremony. There are also two siblings. Dr. Jared (Topher Grace) is a 29 year old virgin. Lyla (Katherine Heigl) just left her husband. Just about everyone in the group has a dirty little secret that comes into play, but for the most part doesn't mesh well.

If this wasn't enough, Alejandro's biological mother (Patricia Rae) is coming up from Colombia for the wedding. She is very Catholic and considers divorce a sin. She doesn't know Don and Ellie are divorced so they will pretend they aren't (yawn). She shows up with a daughter (Ana Ayora) who has designs for Jared.

The film has great stars and a great indie style plot and characters. The secrets make for a great story. However it didn't come together. The dialouge failed to create on screen chemistry. Too much of the film seemed fake, the characters never hooked you. The humor consisted of embarrassment more than anything. Attempts to make fun of the Catholic Church were weak. It would make for a decent one night rental, but not the heart warming indie keeper we love.

Parental Guide: F-bombs. Brief sex, brief nudity (Ana Ayora).
on November 9, 2014
There is virtually no nudity in this film. Nor is there violence, so I have to assume the “R” rating is purely based on periodically explicit language and implied sexual situations, particularly coming from Robert de Niro.
De Niro plays a seemingly endlessly self-centered, successful businessman and skirt chaser. The setting for the movie is the wedding of his adopted son Arturo, from South America, with the daughter of another well-to-do but superficial set of parents. Complications abound as De Niro’s first wife [played by Diane Keaton] shows up for the wedding. We soon learn that De Niro cheated on her with her best friend [played by Susan Sarandon], with whom he’s been living ever since. Then the biological kids of De Niro and Keaton arrive, and they all have their own personal axes to grind: with each other as well as with their parents. Just to top it off, Arturo’s real mother shows up from South America. Since she’s a strict Catholic and Arturo had led her to believe that De Niro and Keaton had never been divorced, he persuades the two of them to pretend they are still married, so as not to shock and disappoint his mother. Sarandon, not surprisingly miffed at the situation, drives off to stay at a hotel until the wedding is over, but keeps showing up as head-caterer, deliberately to annoy both De Niro and Keaton.
The movie isn’t as funny as it could have been, and it is more serious than expected. De Niro ends up a more human character than he appears at first, Keaton and Sarandon have some interesting conversations, the lawyer-daughter who just broke up with her boyfriend in Chicago finds out she’s pregnant by him—in short, imagine the Sarah Palin family set in Hollywood, and this is perhaps what you might get. Oh it has added sentimental value as Robin Williams plays the Catholic priest for the wedding ceremony. I can’t think of a more believable character to play a Catholic priest….Reasonably amusing and interesting if you keep your expectations low.
on April 14, 2014
This movie is not the best of this type I have ever watched but if you want to kill time this is your movie. It is just a fluff movie with a great cast. Unfortunately they waste it but still it is nice to watch for something to do.
on May 8, 2015
Amusing but not as funny or engrossing as I had hoped, given the cast. I just expected more, but it was still fun to watch. Not sure I would want to rewatch this, as most movies I love I enjoy several times.....but you will like it for what it is.
on February 20, 2015
If I could I'd give this zero stars. It is beyond bad and made worse by the fact that a few of the stars in their glory would never have chosen to lend their name or presence to something so excrutiatingly bad.

Others have mentioned it and I must too: The misplaced nonstop sex theme is as good a place to start as any. Let me make crystal clear that I'm about the farthest from a prude as you can get. I'm not squeamish or uncomfortable with sex scenes, if they make sense and are done well. The early scene with DeNiro performing cunnlingus in the kitchen makes me weep for the film industry. Compare this to, say, the kitchen sex scene in "Postman Always Rings Twice." I get it, this one is played for humor, but come on. The dialogue is beyond stupid and totally unfunny. I don't know any woman of any age who would be legitimately turned on by this kind of talk, which is not witty banter at all, it's just dumb. Some women do love a funny man and find wit arousing. This is not wit.

My guess is that because these actors are "of a certain age" the idea was to prove that they're still sexual, they've still got it, whatever. But when their sex lives are played for bad jokes throughout the film, instead it's like the producers lacked the courage to show us scenes that are actually sexy and stimulating. They default to the sophomoric humor, which to my eyes suggests just the opposite of what they may have been hoping to prove. Instead of showing us older people who still enjoy good sex, we get jokes. Maybe the producers aren't as comfortable with older people having realistic sex as they are with playing such scenarios for jokes. It's just more stereotypical grandma-sex jokes ("nobody wants to see that!"), but with a Hollywood budget.

The storyline about a virginous young man (not THAT young, which itself stretches credibility) and someone's determination to make sure he's no longer a virgin by such and such time has been done to death. I've yet to see any such storyline that was not a cringefest.

I know these actors and filmmakers all have families to support and most of them are well established enough for their awesome past work that maybe they feel entitled to just say screw the audience, I'm taking this paycheck. Guess that is their right. But it is a huge disappointment.

Lastly, a caveat: I stopped watching 20 minutes before the end, and I rarely do not finish a film, even one that's not very good. I guess there's a chance something happened in the last 20 minutes that would have me writing a completely different review. But I doubt it.
on February 12, 2016
This is an excellant comedy. It is about the a family where every member has coping problems with the people they love and how they come to terms with each other and with life. It is very funny most of the time with the serious drama parts well acted and touching. A very entertaining and rewarding film to watch. Highest possible recommendation. After the movie was over I held out my hands and both thumbs went up. Just to let you know-my thumbs never disagree with each other.