Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change

on November 14, 2012
I am a sucker for most things that deal with dogs, and then add the New Yorker, makes for a witty, sly, funny combination. Everything in this book is sourced from the monumental material printed over the years from the New Yorker, a treasure trove of all things smart, funny, socially relevant. Some of the best cartoons on social commentary ever printed come from the New Yorker, and the best cartoons about dogs and our relationship with them. (My favourite cartoon is by Charles Addams, page 247, few are better than he.) It also contains wonderful essays by John Cheever, Ronald Dahl, Ogden Nash, Anne Sexton and many others. A great addition for any book lover, or gift for a dog lover, and if you are both, even better!
44 comments|86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon December 12, 2012
Flipping through this book, it becomes quite clear that the New Yorker is a time capsule of sorts. Look through a copy of The Big New Yorker Book of Dogs and you'll see what I mean.

Beyond that, who can't love cartoons about man's best friend? Add to that great essays by some of the nation's best thinkers and you have a winner.

I looked at this in a bookstore and read a great deal of it. Wouldn't this make a great Christmas gift? Hint! Hint! Hint!

Peace to all.
on January 28, 2014
I've thoroughly enjoyed the short stories and cartoons in this book so I'm not going to ding it on content. But I do have a tip: don't get the Kindle version. It really doesn't lend itself very well to Kindle, it's more of a book to thumb through stopping here and there when something catches your eye. To really see the cartoons you'll need to use the Kindle app on a computer or iPad, they're not so great in small black & white. At this point I'm not going to spring for a hard copy but I'm really sorry I didn't get that in the first place.
on November 3, 2013
Bought as a gift, but I read it first. You've got to really love dogs to enjoy this whole book, or maybe read a chapter here and there over the course of a few months, but it's all dog, and that's alot of dog!! Still, some very touching stuff, some just cute, others quite a stretch to be amusing and/or interesting. Older articles, which evidently were once the talk of the town, seem horribly dated (e.g. Thurber to me has always been a mystery.) But each to his own. If you adore dogs, you will at least enjoy most of this book.
on August 14, 2013
With all the great writers who have graced the pages of the magazine, plus all the cartoons and the plus of so many unforgettable Covers, you will love every page of this really worthwhile book. Great to keep and a perfect book as a gift for everyone who loves dogs!
on January 5, 2013
This is a good gift for dog lovers of all ages. The red cover attracted my attention first; the book looked especially festive as a Christmas gift. It induced big smiles when unwrapped!
on February 18, 2013
This book arrived in good time and amazon gave me the best price. I gave it four stars because It was a present for my wife and while she loves it but she expected more pictures, and the New Yorker being a literary magazine has a lot more words than pictures.
on January 15, 2013
I love this filling book! Fantastic articles about dogs in the unique New Yorker style!
Only wish it had more cartoons.
Any dog lover will love it.
on May 18, 2014
This is a beautiful coffee table book which dog lovers will enjoy. Full of fine New Yorker cartoons, and it has most
of the classic Thurber dog stories (as well as many of his dog cartoons). Some very interesting articles - especially loved
the one on the "Dog Whisperer" Cesar giving his life as well as lots of tips on handling dogs (which work, I found out).
Beautifully bound and printed, its great for browsing. One cavil - its size makes it a little awkward for bed reading.
on March 30, 2016
A wonderful collection of dog stories. You will meet Rex a noble dog, and Ava a wonderful three-legged dog. You will meet people who race dogs. Somewhere in here you might meet your own dog. I savored each story.