Published on November 16, 2010 by Nutwiisystem.Com

3.0 out of 5 stars More like the show, but not like the old one.
Published on November 9, 2010 by C. M. White

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for fans of the TV show looking to lose a little weight themselves, November 16, 2010
This review is from: The Biggest Loser Challenge - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
One of the nice things about video games is that they let you experience things you otherwise couldn't. Most of us will never fly into outer space or face down a major league pitcher throwing 99 MPH. Similarly, most of us will never be invited to the real Biggest Loser Ranch for personal training sessions with Bob and Jillian. But this Wii fitness title comes remarkably close.

The scenery in the game should be familiar with anyone who's seen the TV show. The opening screen is an exterior shot of The Biggest Loser Ranch, and throughout the game you'll see familiar settings, from the gym to the Boxing Ring to the locations where they do challenges.

When you start the game, you're asked to create a new profile. You enter your name and if you have a balance board your weight is displayed (warning: unlike other Wii exercise games, this one doesn't conceal your weight, so anyone in the room can see it).

After this, you can allow the program to choose a personalized program for you. This is where things get pretty neat. The first step is for you to go through a 30 minute "fitness test". This basically runs you through a series of different exercises at 5 different levels (light, moderate, challenging, hard, and intense). You perform the exercises as best as you can. The system will use the Wii remote and/or the balance board to check if you're doing the exercises.

At the point where you can't do any more, the system will automatically end the test and recommend that level for you. I really liked that the levels were really accurate--"challenging" really meant challenge, and "intense" really meant intense. For me, by the time I got to the challenging levels, I was already out of breath and sweating.

Once you have an intensity level set, you enter your gender and your birth date. Next, you go on to the "Body Analyzer". This is where you verify your weight, and then enter your height, neck size, chest size, and hip size. You then select your target weight.

Finally, you're ready to establish your routine. You select the length of time you're able to work out each day (from less than 20 minutes to over an hour) and then choose your trainer. Unlike the previous encarnation of this game, you can choose Bob, Jillian, or both of them.

They'll take you through one sample workout session. It basically consists of different routines, basically reps of different exercises each a minute or two in length. You basically have to follow the on-screen image of Bob or Jillian as if you were looking at them in the mirror. A countdown clock will show you the amount of time remaining for each exercises. One nice touch is that you see a figure in the background that is the exact body shape and size you entered before (which I prefer over the first game, where you had to choose a former contestant to be your on-screen character)

Once you finish the sample workout, you can decide how often a week you want to work out (anywhere from 2 to 6 days), and then the duration of your fitness program (4 weeks, 8 weeks, or 12 weeks). Optionally, you can turn on calorie tracking, so you can enter the number of calories you eat every day.

The first time you start your exercise routine, a new "health and lifestyle task" will appear on your calendar. This is where you can customize that on-screen character to look like you. You can adjust its ethicity, its age, its starting weight, and even tweak features such as its eyes, eyebrows, nose, ears, lips, and jaw. You probably won't get it looking exactly like you, but you'll definitely get it "close enough". It's neat seeing yourself in the world of The Biggest Loser.

After this, you're ready to begin your scheduled workouts. A calendar will show you the upcoming workouts that are scheduled. Workouts range from core exercises to circuit training to specialized workouts like "box-fit" or yoga. Every now and then there'll be a challenge game. You'll also have a regular weigh-in, just like on the show, which will use the balance board to measure your weight.

The training exercises are basically core, calisthenic, boxing, and yoga exercises. There are a lot more exercises available since the first game (I counted 117). They range from jumping jacks to jump rope to boxing to lunges and twists. It's a very complete set of exercises.

The challenge games are based on challenges shown on TV: Slipstream, Boom or Bust, Light Cycles, Sprint and Slide, and Punch Clock. As in the first game, you're not actually doing the actual movements of your on-screen character, but you're doing an exercise routine, following a small image of Bob or Jillian. The more accurately you do the exercise, the better your on-screen character will perform in the activity. Like the TV show, you go through rounds of competition. It's a fun way to add a little variety to your exercises.

From your personalized workout menu, you can view your calendar and choose ad-hoc exercises or challenges (which are added to your daily total).

The Profiles and Settings option allows you to run the Body Analyzer again, or view achievements and trophies. You can also choose additional exercise equipment to use in your workouts (either a stability ball or a resistance band. I didn't see free weights as an option, even though the advertising material said they'd be in there).

There's also a "Health and Lifestyle" option which lets you view recipes, get tips and advice from trainers and former contestants (these are also randomly displayed for you throughout the game), and calculate your Biggest Loser Know Your Number "KYN" HeathScore.

Some other thoughts about the game:

1) There are options which allow you to exercise with someone else. This is great motivation when you get tired of exercising by yourself.

2) The motion controls are mostly accurate. There were a few exercises where my motions didn't register (more notably jump rope and jumping jacks), but that's something endemic in most Wii games. By now, I've learned not to get too bothered by that.

3) As with most exercise games, you need a lot of room, especially for exercises which use the balance board.

4) The game is definitely more affordable than other games such as EA Sports Active 2 or fitness games on Kinect, yet makes you sweat just the same.

5) One thing some may find a bit annoying is that you constantly have to move the Wii remote from your left hand to your right hand and back. I realize this is in the name of precision, but it got to where it became more trouble than it was worth.

6) One thing I did like was that when Bob or Jillian shout encouragement, they also reinforce proper technique and posture. This is a refreshing change from other games where the on-screen trainer would just yell random exclamations like "yeah!" and "you did it!"

All in all, this game provides a very solid and complete exercise routine which you can use to lose weight. I admit I would have liked to see some more interactive elements in the game to make it more fun (e.g., being able to actually control the on-screen character in the challenges), but at the end of the day this title is a traditional exercise and fitness title, nothing more, nothing less.

If you're a fan of The Biggest Loser TV Show and have always felt you could use a little personal training from Bob and Jillian to lose a little weight yourself, this is the Wii exercise title for you.

3.0 out of 5 stars More like the show, but not like the old one., November 9, 2010
This review is from: The Biggest Loser Challenge - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
This version is much like the first. Some of the same sayings, but a little updated so that they are not so repetitive. I love that you can have both Jillian and Bob, it is nice to have workouts with both. I was a little put off with the fact that the game is not able to play without the controller in hand. The music is not as repetitive either. The graphics have improved substantially and you can add your own touches to your avatar to make them look just like you. You have a new set of recipes, tips, and videos. There is a wide assortment of exercise routines you can pick from, deciding what you want to do with your exercise(your buns, thighs etc.. Whatever your target zone is... You can do just yoga also. It keeps track of your total calories, days of exercise, food input as well as many more. It also tells you how much you need to workout in order to lose per your projected time frame. Overall I love this game and have faithfully used it since it arrived. I definitely recommend it to anyone wanting a program that can surely help weight loss.

In a couple of weeks, I will update on the progress I do throughout the game because there is so much more to gain from this game, and I look forward to seeing all the many programs. I can feel the burn throughout my body so there must be something to it.

*Update*
OK this has been a few weeks down....And honestly the game itself is awesome I love it..But the programmers seemed to have rushed things a little there are many problems down the line, the statements are not lined up accordingly(For Example when you win the weigh in, it still says you did not do so well and are up for elimination, some of the exercises they tell you to rest in the middle of jogging?..and there are many more) It doesn't seem to pick up movements, kinda bites being yelled at when you are doing the work...Something is just not adding up here guys. I am very disappointed in this game now and will have to return it. It would be nice for the company to update this game and send all us a copy on the house since we have had so much trouble with this version!

4.0 out of 5 stars Before you begin, November 17, 2010
CarolinaStar (North Carolina) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Biggest Loser Challenge - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
I played the game for the first time this morning. A few things before you begin.

(1) If you have a hard floor (like mine is hard wood with a carpet in the center), you will need a good yoga mat since you are on the floor on your knees in some moves.

(2) Take your measurements before hand: Neck, Chest, Waist, Hips. You will enter these in after your fitness test. It only allows you to enter whole numbers so you have to round.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kick it up a notch, May 21, 2011
This review is from: The Biggest Loser Challenge - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
After losing a combined 35 lbs. with Wii Fit Plus, my wife and I decided it was time to shake things up a bit with a new fitness program. After reading many reviews and weighing our options we decided on The Biggest Loser Challenge. This has been one of the best purchasing decisions I've made this year. This title is simply fantastic.

The exercise routines are tailored to each specific user by putting you through a fitness test. The longer you're able to perform the exercises in your fitness test to a satisfactory level the more intense the exercises become. When you reach a point where you just can't go any more, the game sets that level as your default for future workouts. What this means is that you don't get the feeling that the exercises on the screen are way out of your league, and at the same time you don't feel like you're wasting your time and not burning any calories. I have found that many times when I want to quit I push myself a bit harder knowing that the game isn't asking me to do things that I can't do. I'm the one that determined what level to work out at.

Another great thing about this title is that it quickly moves you through your routines. The exercises are explained while the person on screen is doing them at full speed. You get to watch them go through two to three repetitions before you have to jump in. This is much more efficient than the slow motion explanations that Wii Fit gives you. The result is that you're still breathing hard from the last exercise when you start the next one. This makes it feel more like an actual routine, and not just a series of unrelated exercises. Don't worry, there's a break every 5-10 minutes for you to grab a drink of water or run to the bathroom if need be.

I also feel that this title really helped us get our eating habits under control. Every day we log our calories and put them into the game. The game will give us a daily calorie goal that we have to stay close to in order to lose weight. Every day when we're deciding on dinner we're asking each other "How many calories do you have left today?". We have learned that staying below our calorie goals doesn't mean that we have to go hungry, we just eat better foods. In my 31 years this daily logging is the first thing that's ever made me keep track of these things. I simply love it.

Now for the (few) negatives:

There are some exercises that don't register as well as they should. The worst are the notorious jump rope and the speed skaters. The jump rope exercises I've learned to deal with. There are ways to trick the system into counting what you're actually doing. To do this, when it asks for regular jump ropes I do high knee jump ropes and when it asks for high knee jump ropes I simply turn my hands so that the back of my hand is facing the TV instead of my palm. For some reason this makes it register better. As for speed skaters, I just reroll my routines until I get one to come up without that particular exercise in it.

Your scheduled routines are not flexible enough. I work retail, and as such I have a variable schedule. When days come up where I have a 13 hour shift I'd like to be able to knock my workout routine down to about 20 minutes or so, but I will only get credit if I finish the entire routine. Therefore I find myself skipping the routines on my longer work days and just do freeplay. Not a biggie, but it would be nice to be able to adjust.

Overall, I'm giving this game five stars because it is doing everything I had hoped it would. My wife and I have now lost a combined 70 lbs. in just over 5 months and this game is a huge factor in making that possible. We are both nearing our goal weights, and I'm confident that we'll reach them soon with the help of this title. Since starting up with The Biggest Loser Challenge we have not used the Wii Fit at all, except to weigh ourselves each day (we like the charting of the Wii Fit). This is saying a ton as we went 3 months without missing a day on Wii Fit before we purchased this game.

4.0 out of 5 stars Never seen the show... LOTS of fun!!, January 11, 2011
This review is from: The Biggest Loser Challenge - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
Wanting to get off my tail, I purchased this game for my Wii this week. I have never seen the TV show "The Biggest Loser", but it seemed more intense than "Wii Fit Plus". I was right - it's challenging! And fun!

GOOD:
You can choose from several exercize routines, which are broken into 30 second intervals - this prevents me from getting bored!. Every 5 minutes there is a break, just long enough to get some water. You may repeat these exercizes in later intervals. Choose your trainer (Bob, Jillian, or both) (hooray Bob!) and they will motivate you, and let you know how you are doing.

After some initial measurements (weight, height, chest measurement, hip measurement, etc...), the game will recommend a fitness routine for your needs. In my case, it recommended "all around fitness" routines, which consist of aerobic exercize. There are 5 levels of difficulty, something for everyone I believe. I found that intermediate really challenged my balance! My favorite so far is the "Box Fit" - a boxing type workout.

You can also choose to "Add equipment" to your routine (i.e. balance ball).

NOT SO GOOD (but not BAD):

Sometimes the game will ask you to "put the wii remote in your pocket". NONE of my workout pants/shorts have pockets!

Lots of (very short) alerts to "move the wii remote to your (left) hand and secure the wrist strap". It would be nice if I could remove these notices, after you are familiar with the routine. Or maybe use a flashing sign in the corner of the screen, instead.

I was sort of disappointed I couldn't add my 2 lb wrist weights when doing the boxing routine.

Calories are counted only if you are performing the routines JUST LIKE the trainer on the screen. If you go faster or slower, calorie points are not counted correctly. Sometimes I feel like I got gyp-ped out of calorie burn points. BUT what counts is that I'm working and off my butt.

The trainer can be repetitive, especially if you're working on a routine for 30+ minutes, lol. Bob likes saying "When is Bob going to stop talking!? Not yet!" lol.

The background music is fluff. Better music would help me keep in time with the movements!

Overall, great job! I enjoy this game and recommend it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful game to get you moving, May 10, 2011
This review is from: The Biggest Loser Challenge - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
This game I would say is really great for anyone who wants to start getting back in shape. There are many option for when you first start, you can either choose one of their pre-loaded fitness programs which consist of programs like a 4 week program for those who have been out of the exercise game for a while and want to kind of start back into it, they also have a 12 week program that is suited for steady weight loss and an 8 week program that is for weight loss, along with quite a few more options. Or you can choose to have them recommend a program for you based on your fitness abilities which is what I did because I had been going to the gym so I didn't quite feel I needed to start at 0. This was great because I mostly wanted to use this game to a)work out without having to go to the gym and pay for a membership. b)get me moving everyday. c)tone up. d)strengthen my core muscles. And with this option it gives you a fitness test to determine your fitness level and from there recommend a difficulty for you. I really liked this option too because it gave you the decision to make for a muscle focus and I picked core because I've had a c-section and really needed to strengthen those muscles back up.

The good things about this game besides what I've already mentioned:
-It gives you the choice to pick how many times a week you want to work out.
-It gives you the choice to choose how long you want your workouts to be. I think it starts at 20 mintes then goes to 30, 40, 50, or 60 plus. But I will mention that once you choose a time, you have to do that time for the whole week before it will let you change it again. So to make sure you have the time that week to do whatever workout time you choose. I chose 30 minutes for the first two weeks then moved up to 40 minutes for the past 3 weeks. My mom chose 20 minutes because she works out before she goes to work and that's about all the earlier she can get up to workout before she goes to work but I figure 20 minutes a day is much better than not working out at all. Also, if you pick say 40 minutes, the workout lasts 40 minutes, but there is always stretching at the end of each workout and that lasts about 9 minutes. So total, the workout ends up being about 49-55 minutes.
-It lets you choose or recommends what difficulty you should be working out. It starts at light, moderate, difficult, hard, then intense.
-It's nice because you get to do a different workout each day which is kinda nice because you don't know what you're going to do everyday which I like because it keeps it kinda fresh. Like in one typical week you'll do Day 1- Circuit Training Day 2- Circuit Training(but they all have a different order of exercises and differ in what work outs they have you do) Day 3- Yoga Day 4 - Circuit Training Day 5 - Box Fit Training Day 6 - Circuit Training. And it changes up from week to week which I like. And its also nice to get a little break on yoga day from breathing so hard on the circuit training days.
I will mention that before each workout it tells you details of each exercise lined up in each workout, the duration, your muscle focus that you've chosen(if you've chosen one) and the difficulty
Each workout for the week is on the difficulty you've chosen.
-You can choose to have Bob or Jillian,or both as your trainer. I chose both because I like having them both and not knowing who I'm going to have for the day. Also I think they both have their plus sides. Like Bob says a little more encouraging things than Jillian I think, but Jillians a little tougher if you like that. Also I like the little sayings they have in the game, like "you'll be at your goal in no time" but my mom finds them a little irritating like Bob says a lot, "Perfect, just like a yoga master" which she doesnt like but I find encouraging so I suppose it's just personal preference. I really like the one that Bob says, "you can get to your goal, and you don't get there by sitting on the couch" and that really helps me like, no you don't, it helps me remember why I'm working your butt off
-It gives you your calories burned throughout your workout.
-After each workout it gives you your profiency and the detailed workouts and how you did on each exercise, plus the calories burned during each exercise during your workout
-You can save a workout if you really like it, to do at anytime which I like because there have been really good ones that I want to save because like I said, they give you different workouts every time so you're not sure when you'll get that workout again.
-They give you water breaks, which I like, especially during the circuit training cause I'm usually out of breath or needing a little mini break.
-They give you health and lifestyle tasks everyday after you get done working out. An example of one would be, it tells you for a week to walk 30 minutes, or cut out sugary cereals and replace them with whole wheat ones. They vary in healthier eating tasks like replacing white rice and simple carbs with complex whole wheat pastas and carbs, or additional exercise like walking your dog an extra 10 minutes a day. Which are nice cause it gives you a little competitive spark to meet the challenge.
-It has a calorie tracker feature. It doesn't have a place to enter specific foods but rather breaks it down to how many calories you ate at Breakfast, Lunch, snacks, Dinner, and Drinks. It doesn't have a dessert section but I just put it under snacks usually. This is nice too because if you do it it really keeps you aware of your calorie balance/intake and keeps you on track of what and how much you're eating. I use an App on my Droid called fitness pal to count my calories it works good to enter and find your food and its calories on that and then just enter them into the Biggest Loser game.
-At the end of the week on weigh in day it gives you details on your weight loss goal/progress, your progress in your training, and your calorie intake if you've chosen to use the calorie tracker. It also recommends based on how well you did with your training that week if you should keep the same difficulty level or move up.

Things that are not so good(But not enough to not buy the game, because no matter what this game gets you moving and you know you're doing something good for your body)
-It does glitch a little from time to time, like after each workout when it gives you a health and lifestyle task, it's given me the same task for the past 2 weeks, but it could be intentional because it's also given me a weekly task thats been different. It also glitched when my dad worked out on it and then I immediately signed into my profile and it gave me the same workout he did(we are on different difficulty levels) and then it counted me as not working out that day. But that was the one and only time it did that. Plus I knew I still worked out that day, and really for the money and what this game does offer, a glitch or two isn't a big deal, plus what video game isn't bound to glitch every now and then.
- And I will address the other thing I've read on another review before I bought the game - the wii remote.
With the remote, yes you have to switch hands, sometimes put it in your pockets for the exercises geared towards the legs. (If I don't have pockets I just tuck it in my waist band in my pants and that works pretty well) But it really is not that big of a deal, at least not to me because even though you have to mess with it a little you're still doing the exercises. And another person I saw said that they didn't like the screen that comes up to tell you what hand or pocket to put it in. I have experienced a little irriation with this, but I found after a while I didn't notice it as much I think you get used to it, but it would be nice if they had an option to turn it off. But I also think they are useful because with the variance of workouts on the game, I sometimes forget which hand or if I'm supposed to have it in my pocket. So I'd say its a minor price to pay to workout. Also in the circuit training workouts I kind of like them because it gives me a second of a break to catch my breath.
At the end of the workout when you stretch I did get frustrated sometimes because I would be doing the stretch but it wouldn't increase my profiency as doing the stretch correctly, but I found that when it comes to the stretches it wants the remote perfectly still in order to recognize you doing it correctly, so I just put the remote down when I get to the stretches and I get to focus on doing the stretches and it recognizes the stretches being done perfectly you get 5 stars on everyone! So I'd recommend that to anyone who has trouble with that problem. It's a great way to get a good score and actually focus on doing them right. In the end though, I figure it's not about the score and more about I know I am doing my best and working out and getting moving doing something good for my body.

On the weigh in days, it doesn't have you workout, instead you do a little challenge which includes 2 little exercises for a few rounds and then based on how good you do at those you move on to the next round. After you're done with the challenge, you see who is at risk of being eliminated(just computer originiated players) and do your weekly weigh in. It's just like the show, you enter your current weight and it has your last weeks weight posted, then beeps around numbers until it shows your current weight. Which is a little fun I will say. Then you decide who to eliminate it lets you pick between two players. Then it tallys your score for the week based on your exercise, calories(if you've chosen to use this feature)and tells you if you're the "Biggest Loser" for the week. It's pretty fun when you are, which if you work out like you should and eat right then you should be. When I've missed a lot of workouts I'm usually not but I'm okay with that. The first week I lost 6 pounds working out with this game, but it has paced out since then, I've been using the game for 6 weeks now and have lost 11 pounds. But I will say again that I'm not using it to lose weight per say but to tone up and just get my exercise in. Also with Easter and other family functions I missed a good portions of workouts for the past 2 weeks, so it's effective if you use it.

Overall, it's a great game to get you moving, get you exercising again if you haven't been. I don't watch the show much but have seen it, so I wouldn't say you have to be a fan of the show to like this game. It does have its pros and cons but I think the cons are not substantial enough to compromise the effectiveness of the game. Its a good way to make working out more enjoyable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Workout, Game could work better, March 12, 2011
This review is from: The Biggest Loser Challenge - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
This game is pretty great for those who really want to workout at home. I'm a stay at home mom and just had a baby about a month ago. I've been using this since 3 weeks after my daughter was born to try and get back into shape. My husband says he notices a big difference overall in my belly, thighs, butt and lovehandles.

Main positive points for me with this game:

-I find it encouraging. Each workout you get scored on and adds to an overall score. (Not always accurate because remote doesnt reegister some moves, mainly jump rope and jogging)
-I like the setup of the programs, you can choose a personalized or preset program. I first started with a personalized program and could really feel the workout. I then switched to the (preset)Super Weight Loss program which is 12 weeks. This weight loss program I love, it makes me sweat in ridiculous amounts compared to the personalized program. My husband also works out with me who is in the Army and it works him out well too.
-You cannot change your routine options until you weigh in which is a positive in my opinion. It keeps you from changing your routines to 3x a week if you originally opted for 6, which can keep you from cheating yourself and getting lazy and changing it. Also you wont do one routine, decide its easy and pick too difficult a level, you have to stick with it for a week then decide if you want to workout at a different difficulty, more times a week or for longer amounts of time.
-You can see what workouts are before you do them
-You can do an extra routine and get that score added to your main score as long as you're logged into your profile.
-It will tell you your recommended daily calorie intake.

Annoyances:

-The music sucks. Easy fix, turn on your stereo so to setup on the game menu and turn their background music off and the voices up(if you still want to hear them talk).
-The remote does not recognize you when you do some of the exercises. As others mentioned its really annoying, not only because you do not get scored for them which screws up your proficiency for the whole workout but the trainers will make comments about you 'giving up' or 'not doing so well'-when you're really doing it and working your butt off, its aggravating
-The calories burned isnt accurate
-The trainers say the same things a lot

The main point though is that the workouts are great and they work, whether the remote sees it all or not, I know I am getting a great workout and that is my focus. So I really do like this game a lot and plan to continue to use it.

4.0 out of 5 stars great for beginners like me, December 28, 2010
This review is from: The Biggest Loser Challenge - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
Ok, first of all I am not someone who is in shape. I have a couple illnesses that make it difficult for me to lose weight so my motivation was exactly nothing. However, I'm turning 30 in 5 months and decided I need to do something. so, I bought a wii for Christmas figuring it'll help me to get active as I enjoy playing video games. I was originally going to get the Biggest Loser game, the original one they came out with. However, when i went to Best Buy they had this Biggest Loser challenge on sale for 20.00. figured it was worth a shot. So far, so good. I like that you can choose how long you want to work out. I choose under 20 minutes to begin with and I'm glad I did. It works you out for 15 minutes and has you sweating by the end of that time. I like that it takes short breaks to remind you to drink water so you stay hydrated. I choose to work out using Jillian as the trainer. It has a figure that is supposed to be Jillian, it looks kinda funky but that's ok. Hoever the one telling you how to do the exercise is Bob. this was confusing as you are supposed to be able to choose, Bob, Jillan or Both. However, Jillian is the one giving you pointers as to how your doing. It tracks you through the motion plus and I have found to be tracked during the leg stretched you have to hold the remote horizontaly at the top of your thigh. Overall i think it's a good tool to start getting in shape, they have programs as your activity level increases but unlike the 30 day shred DVD that I tried and tossed in 2 days, this one is great for beginners with low fitness level. I have found that using this in combination with Just Dance 2 works for me. I work out for 15 minutes with BLC and then switch and do 1 or 2 songs on the Just Dance 2 for a complete and fun workout.

5.0 out of 5 stars It really works., August 6, 2012
This review is from: The Biggest Loser Challenge - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
As I was reading the reviews on this, I noticed that many wrote the reviews only one day after owning this 'game'. Having it for only a day, not much of a 'review' can be said for it in my opinion. After using it for a while, I finally felt that I could really write a review on this.

I own many of Jillian Michaels workout DVD's. It was from those DVD's that I decided to buy this game. Having never watched the 'Biggest Loser' series, I don't know how accurate it is to the show. However, I can tell you that this is a VERY great game if you want to either lose weight or simply tone up.

When I bought this game, I was 'hoping' to lose a pound or so every two weeks. (I wanted to tone up more than anything) I had tried to lose a few pounds with other DVD's and I just couldn't get 'into' it. The "Biggest Loser Challenge" fixed this problem. I have never been so hooked on working out and exercising each and every single day. In the past 30 days, I have never missed a workout. With that said, let me go into a bit more detail.

I loved this because it lets you choose what you really want to do, how quick you want to see results, how long you want to exercise and what part of the body you want to work on. I picked the 'lose weight' in general which meant that it focused on workouts for the entire body. Then I picked the level of difficultly, moderate. After that, it asked me how often I wanted to workout. I decided that 4 days was a good choice with a 40 minute workout each day. This game me 3 rest days.

I simply LOVE how this game holds you accountable and tells you if you 'miss' or 'skip' a day. I think this is why I am so proactive about it and never miss a day. With workout DVD's, only YOU know you miss a day. The Biggest Loser Challenge holds you more accountable in that way. All of this being said, within 2 weeks, I had already lost 2 lbs and 2 inches off my stomach (an inch off both arms) and felt SO much more active. After that, I bumped up my exercise routine to 5 days of workouts for 60 minutes a day and upped the difficultly. I am now on week 4, have lost over 4lbs and over 3 inches off my stomach. For those of you that are not impressed with those numbers, let me explain why I'm so shocked with the results. When I started this, I only weighed 115 lbs...I didn't even think it was 'possible' for me to lose that much off my stomach in such a short time! (For those of you wondering, I'm 5'1.)

If that's not a productive workout game, I don't know what is. For the price that people spend on several workout DVD's, I don't think this can be beat! As long as you stick to the workout you create, you WILL see progress!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the highest & most accurate calorie burners for the wii...I'd improve some things but I adore it, February 5, 2012
This review is from: The Biggest Loser Challenge - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
It may very well be that they improved this game...some things that bugged others seems to have been tied up and fixed...but I'll get to that.

First off, we love the active wii games why? The calorie burn, right? Okay, some of them we may love ffor the fun but the workout ones are like the Super Bowl of wii games...we want the ACTION.

I wear a bodybugg with digital display. This is what you see on the arm of the Biggest Loser contestants because, outside of a hyperbolic chamber, it is the most accurate measurement of personal calorie burn. By that I mean it doesn't just guesstimate based on your heart rate and age, it measures several elements to get close to 100% accuracy. I only say this so you know how I'm rating the measurement of caloric burn. So, I am able to see on the digital display exactly how many calories I burn as I burn them as well as the total number burned per workout.

Some wii games, such as the Wii Fit games, overestimate my calorie burn. The balance games and yoga games simply don't burn that many calories although the aerobic ones can be very high burners. Some games don't measure well and can be both over and off...This one is spot on. I mean, literally there may be like a 10 calorie difference at the end of the whole workout as to what I can see I have actually burned via my bodybugg display and what it says I did. Part of that reason, I am sure, is that you use a measuring tape to carefully take your measurements at the start of the game, it takes your weight, knows your sex, age, and height, so it has an excellent gauge of your body makeup to guess your burn based on the activities you do.

Some said if the game doesn't measure you exercise accurately it won't count the calories if you don't hit the "perfect" as to showing you that you are doing it right. I didn't find this to be true at all. Some activities simply don't burn that many calories so a slower count may show, such as floor activities. This may make it seem like the oft exasperating request to "put the wiimote in your pocket" when you can't because you don't have any so you just lay it down is tripping you up but most of the time I just lay the wiimote aside during these practices because I have found that it measures me perfectly based upon what I'm doing on the balance board. And if I miss steps my calorie count is still accurate..it doesn't seem affected as long as it knows I'm moving. I almost think the wiimote in the pocket instructions are on the game for those floor moves because if you don't have a balance board it would rate your accuracy that way and they can't exactly take those instructions off the screen so they just made them universal. These are just for yoga moves and one part of your body is always on the balance board on the times when it says to pocket the wiimote...so don't worry about it. If you have a balance board, it'll do. I set the wiimote aside during floor work if its supposed to be in the pockets I don't have and the game still works. So maybe they fixed that glitch so it just reads the balance board if you own one.

As to the calorie burn, this is one of the higher ones. Obviously your personal burn will vary based upon many factors such as your height and weight, but this, for me, burned more than many in a 30 minute workout...whereas sometimes I have to go 45 min to an hour to get my heart rate up and keep it there. Better yet, the yoga moves were combined after you got your heart rate up so it stayed up while you developed muscles as well, which heightens your burn (aerobic workouts burn more during the workouts but, while strength training workouts burn less during the workout, you metabolism stays revved long after.)

I found the setting very motivating and peaceful...like by the pool and cabana, I found the personal training motivations by Bob to truly be motivating while I was working out. I found the moves they chose to be very good ones and I look forward to using it. I like that, like a personal trainer, it puts a new program together for you every day. You don't have to think about it...you get a new program each day tailored for you.

And that's the part I really liked. Because it takes into account your measurements, if you wish, it will personally tailor programs to what you need to do and where you need to improve. For example, I'm fairly fit so it gave me more strength training, and targeted my flabby areas more and my fit areas less. You can change all this but it gives you a recommendation. And I personally found it accurate.

I also liked that it allowed you to REALLY make the mii look like yourself...or at least, perhaps, a thinner more fit version to inspire you. But it allows you to pick the color of the Biggest Loser team you wish to be on, your nose shape, lipe shape, jawline, eye placement, shape, color, eye brows...I mean you can really see yourself in the game!

What I would change...first, I cannot believe no one noticed this but at one point in the game where you are ALWAYS supposed to mirror the trainer, it shows you which foot should be on the balance board at the bottom right of the screen and it was the opposite of what Bob was telling me to do. I did it the way Bob said and got no points, I did it the way they programmed it as to the wrong foot being on that balance board and it worked. So one tiny glitch there. The only thing I didn't like was it was a bit awkward switching the wiimote back and forth to different hands at times when they could have programmed the game so that the activity you are to do next starts out with the wiimote in the same hand it's currently in. I REALLY wasn't fond of how often I had to move the balance board all over the place and not knowing exactly where to put it. What I mean is that I might be doing some kind of jumprope routine without the balance board. At these times it asks me to move it out of the way. Then it will say "move your balance board back into place" but it doesn't tell you for what...so it may be a move where I lay down on the floor with my feet on the board meaning it has to be at the base of my room near the TV, or it may be that I"m sitting on it meaning I need leg room and it should be in the middle of the room, or it may be that I have it behind me with my arms on it....

Or it may be that I am standing on it doing side lunges so I need more room on the sides.

I have a workout room so I have a great amount of open space but even so, I might move it to the middle of the room then suddenly Bob is on the screen doing moves with it at his feet and I have to move it around...one time he was sitting on it so I moved it to the middle of the room, then he gets off of it and puts his feet on it. Had they simply said what I'd be doing with it next it would have helped.

My favorite part was when it said "Now move your balance board aside" then right after that--literally one second later--it said "Move your balance board back into place." Where they just messin' with me here?

Still, although I wished they'd thought about how the games go together so that we weren't playing "move the controls" so much, it was fan and it kept my heart rate up and planned out routines for me rather than me having to pause and think of what to do next, as though Bob was my personal trainer.

Incidentally I discovered that the sensor that reads my wiimote reads if far better ON TOP of my TV so if something seems off on any fitness game, try that...I actually had no issue with it picking up my moves perfectly but I did have an issue with ALL my fitness games when I had my sensor below my TV that hangs on my wall even though I had chosen the "below my TV" option when you tell the wii where your sensor is placed.

The challenge games are fun too...like racing against other contestants against a huge fan that tries to blow you backwards.

One thing I especially like about this game is that whereas many wii games work your right arm and legs (swinging at something or running0 this includes a full body workout so your tummy is not left hanging. Literally. In fact, if you do the Biggest Loser DVDs you will know some of the moves here such as "skater" that Bob does in those too. If you don't know those DVDs but like this game, I suggest them. I don't think I've come across one of them that I didn't think was an exceptional workout (and I have no ties with Biggest Loser, financial or otherwise...but they do have people who put together motivating and result-oriented workouts)

In this one you can choose to have just Bob train you or Bob and Jillian. You will be right there on the ranch in the same rooms, around a pool, etc. And you do feel like you are getting trained one on one by your trainer. And since I can't actually afford Bob or Jillian to fly to my home...that's a good thing.

The Biggest Loser Challenge - Nintendo Wii