Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Biggest Loser: The Weight Loss Program to Transform Your Body, Health, and Life--Adapted from NBC's Hit Show!
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

TOP 500 REVIEWERon October 29, 2005
If you really like the show and can't wait for each new segment to air, you'll also want a copy of the book. It reveals more about the contestents and their struggles.

If you want a specific diet and exercise program that reflects what the contestents went through, you may or may not find that here. I say "may" because it wasn't uncommon for those on the show to do 3 hours of exercise a day (sometimes more) to achieve the kind of weight loss that showed on the scale each week.

Are YOU up to that kind of challenge? If you are, you can take the info in this book and go for the burn. If not, you can still follow the plan and lose weight - but be aware that you may not see the same dramatic weight loss as the contestents on the show without exerting maximum effort.

I really enjoyed reading this book and actually like it BETTER than the show (and I confess I really didn't like the show much with its humiliating climax, where one contestent would be voted off the show per week). Within the context of a book, the personal stories are engaging and much of the book is inspirational, just the type of material that might compel you to stick to your exercise and diet plan.

There is plenty of useful info here although I can't say it hasn't been covered in other books. What sets this one apart are the personal accounts and I can never get enough of those. When someone starts at 300 pounds plus and manages to get to goal weight, it becomes pretty clear that nearly anyone can get there, with enough willpower and motivation. This book could be one more motivational aid.
0Comment|269 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
'The Biggest Loser' book is filled with stimulating stories of personal triumph over weight from the popular television show's contestants.

If you're one of the millions of fans of the hit NBC television reality weight loss show "The Biggest Loser," then undoubtedly you have become personally acquainted with names like Ryan, Kelly, Mo, Dave, and Drea from Season One as well as Matt, Dr. Jeff, Suzanne, and Suzy from Season Two, just to name a few.

You probably feel like you know these people intimately because you have watched them work so very hard on your television sets each week to tackle a commond problem -- what to do about their obesity. Their commitment to doing something positive and permanent about their weight is indeed inspiring and educational for a home viewing audience, two-thirds of whom have a weight problem of their own that they need to deal with and don't know what to do about it.

That's where The Biggest Loser book steps in. This book is based on the popular television show and allows you to read more about the contestants from the show to learn how they have been able to be victorious over their battle of the bulge while also communicating important principles to apply in your own life to help get that fat monkey off your own back for good.

The Biggest Loser is a beautifully crafted book full of colorful pictures, personal stories from cast members, advice from the show's trainers Bob Harper and Jillian Michaels, a thorough explanation of "The Biggest Loser" diet plan, a 12-week exercise routine, scrumptuous recipes including personal favorites from the contestants, motivational remarks from those who went through the most dramatic weight loss change, and the secret tips about how to make weight loss and healthy eating a permanent part of your life.

Cheering you on to become the "biggest loser" that you can possibly be, The Biggest Loser book asks the simple question, "Wouldn't it be wonderful to have the body you want -- slender, toned, fit, and healthy -- and have it for life?" Who among us who has struggled with weight loss would respond back with anything but a thunderous YEAH BABY?!!! This dream can become a reality when the steps outlined in The Biggest Loser book are applied.

Read about the struggles that each contestant had with weight prior to their television experience and how "The Biggest Loser" show literally changed their lives forever. As someone who has lost over 180 pounds, I can certainly relate with their stories of heartache and frustration about what to do about being overweight. It's not a fun experience and you just feel so hopeless. But once you read The Biggest Loser, you will find that while it won't be an easy road to restore your health, there is definitely a way to rise to the occasion and gain victory over weight problems once and for all!

There's a unique section in The Biggest Loser book called "From Reasons to Resolutions" which will get you to visualize and think about why you want to lose weight and what will happen if and when weight loss occurs. Getting your mind in the right frame of reference will get you started off right and make your eventual success that much more likely to happen.

In a nutshell, "The Biggest Loser" diet consists of limiting your caloric intake to seven times your body weight. For example, when I weighed 410 pounds in January 2004, I could eat 2,870 calories according to this plan. At my current body weight of 225, that number of calories per day drops down to 1,575, which is probably a little bit less than what I consume on my low-carb lifestyle but not too far off. There's a creative "4-3-2-1 Biggest Loser Pyramid" which shows you which foods you should eat and in what quanties, including fruits and vegetables, proteins, whole grains, and "extras." Guess which one you eat the least of?

You also are encouraged to drink lots of water, use artificial sweeteners sparingly, eat 4-6 planned meals, portion-size your foods to avoid overeating, read labels like a hawk (there even a neat "translation" guide to help you figure out what certain terms mean on a nutrition label), and steer clear from certain appetite-stimulating foods. It's all explained in great detail in The Biggest Loser book.

I really enjoyed the "Take A Cue" blurbs at the bottom of the pages which feature one- or two-sentence words of wisdom from the cast of "The Biggest Loser." You really feel like they're talking directly to you and rooting for you as you turn page after page of The Biggest Loser book. I also was attracted to the recipes section towards the back of the book, which included some excellent low-carb ones including Dave's chicken salad, Ryan's portabello pizza, Suzanne's grilled salmon burgers, and Drea's turkey wrap. My mouth is watering just thinking about all these delicious recipes.

As a 180+ pound low-carb weight loss success story I don't personally adhere to all of the advice provided in The Biggest Loser book, but I am encouraged to see many of the contestants giving superb advice to would-be losers: stay away from sugar, get more water consumption, eat often enough to ward off hunger, skip the dinner bread and eat a salad first at a restaurant, replace television watching with exercise (except to watch "The Biggest Loser," of course!), eat healthy carbs found in fruits and vegetables, and much more. You can really learn a lot about good basic habits that you can incorporate to make weight control a long-term part of your life.

There is also a section in the book which urges local communities to conduct their own "Biggest Loser" challenges to help people deal with this very real problem. They include step-by-step instructions about how to organize it and replicate what so many have seen on television, including stunts and races to give the contestants an incentive to continue on. Applying these recommendations will make your local "Biggest Loser" challenge a huge success.

A special "where are they now" section gives an update on all 26 contestants who became winners by becoming big losers thanks to "The Biggest Loser." You will be amazed by how far these contestants have come and how their lives have been literally turned upside down for the better. I can relate and hope and pray many will be uplifted and have a fire lit within them to lose weight and keep it off for good after reading The Biggest Loser.
0Comment|176 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 10, 2005
I really wanted to love this book... but it seems as if the producers rushed it to print. There are very little before/after photos... and very little in-depth profiles of the contestants. All you get is blurbs from them... and a recipe, which may/may not be their creation. The caloric recommendations... 1050 kcal for people below 150 pounds... are too low...especially for the amount of exercise prescribed. Rarely these days do any experts advise going below 1400 kcal for an active woman, with 1200 be the absolute minimum. Even with such minimal caloric requirements, no mention is made of vitamin supplementation. In the recipe section, they often refer to agave nectar/syrup... yet they do nothing to explain it, its benefits, or where to buy it. (It's a low-GI sweetener from a plant in Mexico.) All-in-all, disappointing.
22 comments|122 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 20, 2005
I actually read this book and Jillian Michaels book Winning By Losing. I think this book is interesting and fun because it does give you insights into the contestants and their trials and tribulations. I do agree that as far as nutrition plans go The Biggest Loser book is slightly lacking. If you are looking for a weight loss plan, Jillian's book is definately the best choice. Although the Biggest Loser book is not the most informative, as a fan of the show I enjoyed the read.
VINE VOICEon January 8, 2006
I liked this book because I enjoy watching the show. I admire and respect all those contestants/dieters who go through all that "struggle and hard work" to lose weight and feel better about themselves.

Personally, I feel that reading the book is not motivation enough for people who are tremendously overweight. They need the one-on-one like the wonderful people on the TV show receive.

So if you're thinking of buying this book to lose weight, save your money. However, if you just want to hear more about the show and the participants, you may want to have this book.

I liked it ... but didn't loooooooove it.
on December 27, 2005
I laugh when I see all the reviews from people who complain about the calorie intake requirements. The calorie requirements within the book are the "net" calorie requirements. (i.e. Calories consumed (what you eat) - Calories burned (exercise)). These readers just skip to the chapter on diet looking for that "silver bullet" to slay the weight lost beast. Bottom line: This book will not turn you into the biggest loser. It will not make you lose weight or a millionaire. It is not a quick fix book. If you want to lose weight, eat right and work out. If you want be be a millionaire, make money and spend less than you make. Read this book for inspiration and know that there are people out there who struggle with weight and self discipline problems like us "normal" people. If they can do it, you can do it. It may take months and even years to reach your goals but be: Consistent, use proper form and remember its a marthon and not a sprint. If you are 40 and plan to live until you are eighty, you will have 40 years of workouts ahead of you. So have fun! I loved the stories! Good job Matt, Seth, Mark, Pete, Ryan, Andrea and Suzy! You are inspirations!
on December 5, 2005
I too am a huge fan of the show and it has inspired me to lose weight and so far I have lost a significant amount. Although I loved the show, I dislike the book. After reading the reviews, I decided to take a look at it in the bookstore before purchasing. I was highly disappointed with the book. I too was under the impression that Bob and Jillian may have colaborated more in this book. If you watched the show, then you learned about as much as the book details in reference to the contestants, I feel. Also, the book also has a crazy suggestion in reference to calorie consumption, as previously mentioned. The recipes would be the only reason I would purchase the book and I can just check it out at the library for that and the recipes I like, I put them on cards. Someone had mentioned Jillians book, Winning By Losing, earlier. I too highly suggest this book. It's written better than the biggest loser book and gives better info along with illustrations of each exercise and proper form. She also gives great insight and I felt like I was getting from it what the biggest loser book was lacking!!
on March 25, 2006
I bought this book because it was advertised as Bob Harpers book. Needless to say, it's not. It isn't Jillian Michaels book either. The book is fun and there are lots of pictures of Bob, but no real weight loss advice that amounts to a program of any kind. I like the book because I am a fan of the show and it does have some motivational anecdotes, but I wouldn't recommend it as a weight loss plan.
on October 6, 2005
I ordered this book months ago as a pre-sale. I think it is good if you are a fan of the show looking to learn more about the contestants and their personal trials and tribulations. If you are someone looking for weight loss advice this book is as void of that as the actual show. It is very story heavy and lacks any real information. What little information it does provide in the way of diet and exercise is overly simplified and generic. At the end of the day, it was interesting to read the contestants anecdotes, but dissapointing as a source of information.
on August 29, 2006
Ok...so most people who know me know I have a slight obsession with this show....and I was surprised to note when I was getting the synopsis for this post, one reviewer didn't think that the diet was covered adequately...and in some respects I agree...because the diets for each person on the show is individualized with the help of a dietitian...so they can't really say *all* of the contestants did X, Y & Z and had X results. What the book does give you are some parameters as to what the best choices are and instructs you to go out with that information and make choices based on your own personal preferences and staying within the caloric guidelines. Since I've already begun my own "healthy living" adventure, I already had some firm ideas on what I wanted to do and I found that the book complimented what I already had planned and allowed me to expand the scope a bit. The version of the food pyramid printed in this book is surely more in line with what I think is proper and realistic, so it gets big kudos from me in that respect. The exercise program was brief in my opinion...but again, these were tailored to the specific contestants by professional trainers and they certainly don't' want t-o give away all their secrets either...but the info is good and I suspect you can get more out of it if your willing to buy the exercise DVD that goes with it (I'm renting from Netflix first...to see if it's worth spending the dollars on first). The bulk of the book was personal snippets about the contestants (which I could have lived without...but perhaps necessary for those who didn't watch the show, but are curious about it). There is a selection of recipes at the end which there are about 7-10 that I will try...they all look quite good and are not bad with the fat and calories...so for the price I paid for this book (12.89) I'd say it was definitely worth it...but for those looking for a set in stone, do X, Y & Z diet and exercise plan...this is not going to make you happy, you may want to look elsewhere.