4.0 out of 5 stars Review from a PT and a NON-BL Watcher: Excellent Workout!
Published on July 6, 2009 by B. Junkin-Mills

3.0 out of 5 stars hard on the knees
Published on December 27, 2008 by Annie

4.0 out of 5 stars Review from a PT and a NON-BL Watcher: Excellent Workout!, July 6, 2009
This review is from: The Biggest Loser: The Workout - Boot Camp (DVD)
I'm a physical therapist, so I am extremely critical of exercise videos, and poor form/instruction makes me crazy. I've also never seen the show Biggest Loser, so I didn't know any of the participants here and I didn't really know what to expect. But I do like working out at home sometimes and this video got great reviews, so I gave it a try. I echo the great reviews: This is an excellent workout, both challenging and well put-together, and the instruction is top-notch.

The Cast: This workout is led by Bob, who I take to be a trainer from the show. Bob manages what very few do: he is likable without being syrupy, and motivating without being obnoxious. His form is perfection that makes my PT heart sing, and his instruction and cueing are perfect as far as safe and effective form. He makes me want to watch the show. Working out with Bob is Ali, who I think is the season 5 winner and who has form as close to perfect as a non-professional gets. When Bob's talking, watch Ali for form. There are also Bill (S4 winner?) and Bernie (at home winner - whatever that is) - they both have good form and Bernie is charming. Michelle is in 2 of the 3 segments - she has very good form herself, second only to Ali. The last 2, who thankfully are not in every segment, are Vicky and Heba. Heba is often the demonstrator of the modified form of an exercise and I think this is a HUGE mistake. (It's why I give 4 stars instead of 5.) Her form is dreadful, in almost every exercise and position. Please don't watch her! Having modifications is crucial, but they should NOT be given to the least fit person to demonstrate - they should be given to a very fit person who can demonstrate safe and perfect form to the beginners who are likely following the modifications. Bad call on that casting.

The Format: A very nice and easily customizable menu. There is a 5 minute warm-up, a 20 minute Level One, a 15 minute Level Two, a 10 minute Level Three, and a 5 minute cool down. You are meant to do Level One for 2 weeks, then add Level Two, and then add Level Three 2 weeks after that. It's nice plan though a beginning exerciser would probably be best served staying on each level for 4 weeks before increasing. Of course you can do whatever you feel like doing / have time to do each day. My pre-teen son, who wants to start using weights, does just the Level Three - a few times a week. (He has no need for anything else as he is an active athlete.)

The Exercises & Equipment: Level One is no walk in the park - and it may be out of reach for the very unfit. It's a challenging mix of low impact cardio (one high impact spot - modification for low impact given) and work with hand weights. I would advise someone new to exercise to do this level for at least 2-3 weeks without any weights, before attempting to add weights. Level Two is very hard - it uses hand weights (and a medicine ball though this is optional) with a mix of squats, lunges, pushups, tough ab work, and exhausting plyometrics. It's a GREAT workout! Modifications are always given but still I would call this workout intermediate - advanced. Level Three is pure muscle work using hand weights or a resistance band. It's well put together, hitting every major upper body muscle group. In my opinion, though this is not stated anywhere, Level Three is the only place where it would be appropriate to use a heavy hand weight, as you are doing specific and slow sets on each muscle group. The first 2 levels move along pretty fast, and there is some repetitive work, so my professional advice (to women) would be that nothing heavier than 5lb dumbbells (most people should keep it at 3 lbs, beginners could use 1 or 2 lb weights) should be used, or you could potentially aggravate your shoulders and/or develop a tendonitis.

Bottom Line: Excellent workout, both in terms of effectiveness and of structure, with great cuing and a likable coach. Downgraded from 5 to 4 stars because of the poor form shown in the modifications.

4.0 out of 5 stars Feel the Burn and Become the Biggest Loser!, January 10, 2009
This review is from: The Biggest Loser: The Workout - Boot Camp (DVD)
This is a great workout that can grow with you as your strength and stamina develop. This workout is probably too intense for the true beginner, but would provide an excellent workout for the advanced beginner to intermediate exerciser. There are 3 separate workouts (called Levels) that progress in difficulty. Level 1 lasts 20 minutes and consists of an interval workout that mixes cardio with strength moves that work the upper and lower body simultaneously. Level 2 is 15 minutes and has more challenging moves such as squat thrusts, jumping pushups, tricep dips with a leg lifts and one-arm pushups. This section has some high impact moves, so be prepared to jump. Fortunately, Heba and Vicky show low impact versions, so you don't ever have to jump if you don't want to. Finally, Level 3 is 10 minutes and focuses on strength moves to really exhaust the muscles and add definition. A warm-up and cool-down are included. The stretching section is excellent. Bob doesn't really do the moves, but he coaches and helps the contestants maintain proper form.

You can customize your workout by selecting which levels you want to do and the order you want to do them at the beginning of you workout. You can do each level once, more than once or not at all. Or you can choose the Maximum Results program which has preset selections based on how many weeks you've been doing the program.

Equipment Needed: Hand Weights, Resistance Band, Medicine Ball (however the band and ball are optional and the moves are also shown without them)

Things That Could Be Improved: My only complaint is that sometimes the contestants performing the workout don't always demonstrate the best form, and will sometimes randomly do their own thing. Your best bet is to follow Allie if you want to do the move correctly. Heba shows modifications to make the workout easier if you are just starting out. The moves are simple and easy to follow, so you can do this workout even if you aren't super coordinated.

Overall: This is a great workout that will really improve your fitness level and help to build strength and agility. It uses proven techniques such as interval training and plyometrics, and Bob is a motivating instructor. This is how they really workout on the ranch. Enjoy and hope you get great results!

5.0 out of 5 stars As always, Bob motivates and creates a truly effective workout!, December 28, 2008
This review is from: The Biggest Loser: The Workout - Boot Camp (DVD)
I not only own the other Biggest Loser dvds, but do my daily workout from a selection of about 100 dvds. Still, this was a "must have" to add to my collection...as that was my first thought after doing it.

I've always found Bob to be one of the best motivators. He doesn't just do a move that you follow and move on, he shows you as a coach how to do it correctly so that you gain maximum benefit from it.
This dvd is both cardio and sculpting and this creates maximum fat burning...you'll burn lots of calories during the cardio portions, then the sculpting will help you increase muscle mass which, thereby, increases your metabolism and burns even more calories even while you are at rest.

Even if you own the other Biggest Loser workouts, this one adds new moves, new people, more variety and great results.

I typically rotate all my workouts so that I have constant variety from my collection but I found myself continually going back to this dvd time and again and back to back.

Therefor, it needed to recieve some accolades via Amazon...Bob succeeded once again with a "must have" workout that all can do!

And, on that note, it should be noted whether you workout daily like myself or you are just beginning, he has moves for either class of fitness persona. You can follow along with the easy program, or go full steam once you improve...either way, the moves are easy to follow and produce rapid results.

5.0 out of 5 stars Old guy, with a bad knee, April 28, 2009
D. Ringer (Morgantown, WV USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Biggest Loser: The Workout - Boot Camp (DVD)
I sweat. I strain. I have to be careful of my knee (ACL injury). Everything hurts. I'm 61. Bob Harper makes me do impossible things. I want to die - or kill him.

I've used all the BL DVD's before this one, and this is clearly the hardest. But, after 8 weeks, I've seen the biggest positive results with it. Be careful. Use light weights at first. Don't be afraid to modify some of the exercises, or even to drop out (but come back). If you're new at working out, start with the original BL DVD The Biggest Loser Workout, Vol. 1

I love this DVD! But, if you're not serious, and haven't trained for awhile (if ever) don't go there. At least not at first. Be gentle to yourself. There's plenty of time. Just get started.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bob will get you moving and sweating!, October 29, 2009
This review is from: The Biggest Loser: The Workout - Boot Camp (DVD)
Let me preface this review by saying I am not an exercise lover. I have never been one of those people that enjoys working out. Yes, I do exercise, because I know it is important for my health, and it is aiding me in my weight loss journey. That being said, I was shocked when I started doing this DVD workout...because I found myself enjoying it! From the start of this workout, Bob motivates you and just when you feel like you might throw in the towel, he somehow convinces you to keep going. I was exhilarated after completing just one week of this Biggest Loser bootcamp and I was inspired to keep it up for the the full 6-week workout program.

This workout DVD has three levels and the idea is to spend two weeks working out at each level: Level One is 30 minutes in total, including the 5-minute warm up and cool down segments. Level Two tacks on an additional fifteen minutes to Level One, and Level Three adds 10 minutes to your workout. When you reach the 5th and 6th weeks of the program, your workouts will last 55 minutes. The workouts combine high-intensity weight lifting and muscle toning intervals with brief cardio intervals. Bob provides an intense workout for sure! When I started the bootcamp, my heartrate started to climb within the first three minutes of the warm-up period! And I am always bathed in sweat and breathing heavy by the end of any level of the workout. Also, the strength training exercises really help you build muscle and tone--I was sore and achy from the workouts for the entirety first week (of course, I had not been doing any strength training, so if you are already very fit, you might not feel the burn as much).

What I really like about this workout DVD is that you can tailor it to your own fitness level. You can use whatever weight of dumbbells you feel most comfortable or most challenged by; also, there is always at least one contestant who modifies the moves so that beginning exercisers will be able to complete the workout without exhausting themselves. For instance, in one cardio segment, when the contestants are doing jumping jacks, one contestant (Heba from Season 6) is marching in place. This is helpful if you are new to an exercise regimen.

Fans of the show (like me!) will like working out with Bob, who pushes you but provides support at the same time. It is also fun to see the contestants from past seasons; even the most fit of them work up quite a sweat! But if you don't watch the show, you'll still be getting in a great workout.

I would definitely recommend this workout to anyone looking to increase the intensity of their exercise routine and add elements of strength training and muscle toning exercises. I don't think I would recommend this workout for brand new exercisers, as it really is quite a workout. But for anyone who does the least bit of exercise (I was only engaging in a walking routine for a few weeks before starting this bootcamp DVD), it will definitely give a boost to your exercise regimen.

Final Word: And yes, I have lost weight during the course of the 6-week bootcamp; but I am also a Weight Watchers member. So while I can't say for sure that the Biggest Loser Bootcamp will definitely make you lose weight, I think if you are also engaging in healthy eating habits and watching portion sizes, then this DVD can aid you in your weight loss journey!

5.0 out of 5 stars I did it!!!, March 18, 2009
This review is from: The Biggest Loser: The Workout - Boot Camp (DVD)
I started Biggest Loser boot camp and the Biggest Loser Weight Loss Yoga. I alternated days with Friday's off. Instead of spending 2 weeks on each level I spent 4 weeks on each level. I also designed my eating plan %100 out of the Biggest Loser Family Cookbook. After 12 weeks of this I went from 261lbs to 226lbs. It works, that's all I have to say.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great way to kick-start your routine if you are a plus-size beginner, July 1, 2010
This review is from: The Biggest Loser: The Workout - Boot Camp (DVD)
Let me preface this by saying that I started using this DVD five days ago at 45 years of age, 5'8", and 238 lbs. I haven't worked out regularly in about five years, though I do walk my dog around the block (1-2 miles) regularly.

I haven't every seen the The Biggest Loser TV show, because I just don't like reality shows. This DVD, however, came highly recommended, and I'd read the glowing and inspiring reviews here on Amazon.

There are three levels, a warm-up and cool-down set, and some tips on using exercise equipment (dumbbells, exercise ball, etc.). You are intended to do the warm-up, then Level One for the first two weeks, and finish with the cool-down. After five days of doing Level One, I can honestly say this is probably the best workout video I've ever seen. Bob, the trainer, is highly motivating, funny, and charismatic, and I think he is the key ingredient here. The Biggest Loser contestants vary nicely in height, girth, and stamina, so you are likely to find one or two that match the level you are at.

Heba is struggling along in the back, and I'm right there with her, bless her heart. I can't do the jumping jacks because I have a strained Achilles tendon, so I'm walking in place as she does when everyone else is doing the higher impact moves. It's not a long routine, but my shirt is soaked up front when it's all said and done, and I've dropped about four pounds in five days. Yes, I'm not exaggerating, four pounds in five days. I have modified my diet in that time, usually having a 6" light subway sandwich or mixed fruit for lunch, and drinking lots of water all day and prior to each meal.

So if you are older or out of shape, or both for that matter, I think this video will motivate you to get started and to stick with it.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results after two months of this. I haven't gotten tired of it yet. Maybe that's just because I've gotten tired of feeling like crap all the time from being so overweight and out of shape. I just had a physical this week, so I plan on having my cholesterol rechecked two months from now to see how much it's dropped, and I'll post it here.

3.0 out of 5 stars hard on the knees, December 27, 2008
This review is from: The Biggest Loser: The Workout - Boot Camp (DVD)
I have Jillian Michaels 30 Day shred and Cardio Max and I enjoy them both. However after using them for 3 months I was getting bored. I saw this DVD in the store and picked it up for 10.00 I did the warm up and levels 1 and 2 and I did work up a great sweat, but there is a lot knee bends, lunges, etc....and I have bad knees so I just have to modify those a bit, but it's annoying as I want to be able to do it all. Also....Allie is a total pet and watching her gets on my nerves, but I just try to ignore her....although Bob always points her out ....urgh! It's still an okay DVD for your money....just watch the knees.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple but Great Workout, March 13, 2012
BG (New Hampshire USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Biggest Loser: The Workout - Boot Camp (DVD)
I'm in my late 50's and needed something easy to use for a workout in my own home. I tried Fitness places but most of the battle was just getting out of the house and go. Plus in the winter time and snow on the ground, made the prospect of going even less. So I searched through the various workout DVDs when I came across this series. I have seen a little bit of the show Biggest Loser but not enough to know who was on it or how it was all really done. But what I had seen I liked in the concept...taking average people like myself and helping them with ways of getting in better health, besides losing weight, that was easy to follow. They don't take people who are already in shape to get them in better shape. Another factor was the cost. I could purchase the three Biggest Loser DVD series workouts for the cost of one of the more notable workout DVDs. So it was a small financial risk to try these DVDs.

I was very surprised how good all of the DVDs were. Each is a little different in the different types of exercises, but all are broken down into three levels of workout, plus a warm-up and a cool-down session. My preference was the Boot Camp DVD so far for getting started. I needed to get muscles going that I have not used in some time and the workout on the Boot Camp DVD fit me best.

The DVD is setup so you pick with workout or workouts and then it will run automatically to each session you selected without having to touch the remote control of the DVD player again. How awesome is that. If you are pressed for time you can select your workout by how much time you have.

Level 3 a 10 minute workout
Level 2 a 15 minute workout
Level 1 a 20 minute workout
Warm-Up a 5 minute workout
Cool-Down a 5 minute workout

I select the Warm-Up, Level 3, and Cool-Down in the menu and then all three run automatically and it gives me a 20 minute workout. As you move up in Levels the time lengthens but also the intensity of the workout. The plan is that in six weeks you'll work your way up to Warm-Up, Level 1, and Cool-Down for a 30 minute workout. But since you set the workout yourself you decide at what pace you will increase your workout if at all. You may be fine with a 20 minute workout. The only optional equipment, and I do mean optional, used was one set of ether 5 or 10 pound weights, a stretch/body band, and a soccer size ball. However Bob shows you ways how to do the exercises without this equipment.

Even with 20 minutes I'm sweating pretty good by the end of it and pretty sore for the first few days. Bob Harper has away of putting you through a workout without seeming like it's over whelming. The people working out on the DVD with Bob are average guys and girls. If I can do this anyone can if they so choose.

If you want a user friendly, average person great workout, for a great price, this is the DVD set you are looking for - The Biggest Loser.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, not great, June 14, 2009
Eric B (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Biggest Loser: The Workout - Boot Camp (DVD)
I am a Biggest Loser devotee; i have all the DVD's and have gotten rid of (and kept off) over 40 pounds. That said, this is my least favorite workout program. It does not have as many workouts as the others (3 as opposed to up to 6), the workouts themselves are not overly challenging, especially the 3rd segment, and i miss the folks who are active in the program, as opposed to those who have already completed it. There are no "special features" like the first 2, and it's just not as challenging. I will definitely keep buying this series, but would not recommend this particular DVD.

The Biggest Loser: The Workout - Boot Camp