5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT BOOK!!!, July 18, 2001
"Boy on a Black Horse" was FANTASTIC!!! Nancy Springer has a natural writing style, and the story was so good that I read the book all day. I really couldn't put it down! The characters had an impact on me, and I feel as if I know them!! This is a truly unforgetable book that is one of my favorites.

5.0 out of 5 stars It was the BEST!, January 20, 2002
A Kid's Review
Lisa
This book was the best! It was really good that I couldn't put it down! When I read it, it feels as if I'm right there in the book! Like I'm right there standing and seeing the whole scene. You have got to read this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A real life show, April 17, 1999
By A Customer
Your heart stops. This book has the most amazing content of any I have read. It was much more then an honor. It brings out more feelings and emotions then you knew you had. This is a truely amazing book. When Chav goes through all his problems and pains, you wish along with Grey, the caring horse loving young girl, you feel like you are in the setting with the charater, and you seem to be swallowed by everything.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fairy-tale-ish, November 2, 2002
This book deals with very real issues, but has kind of a surreal, fairy-tale-ish quality to it, probably because of the presence of a vagabond gypsy family on a black horse. You can just imagine them, riding away in the gray mists of morning...
The characters are well-developed and thought out, and the plot is intense, but thoughtful and moody.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Irish Leprechaun, March 7, 2002
By A Customer
I read this book about 5 years ago, and I have still thought about it. I don't think I fully understood what was going on. But now I have!! I liked this book and you shoutl read it if you find these reviews intresting.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book was soooo good, it made me cry....., February 18, 1998
By A Customer
Books that make me not want to put it down are really great!!! I cried lots during this book and I think its top!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars ************EXCELLENT!!!*************, January 22, 2009
This review is from: Boy on a Black Horse (Paperback)
This book is fantastic. Definatly at the top of our list of favorite books. All together, my sister and I have read it 11 times. The book was poetic and beautiful, but at the same time dark and intriguing. All the characters seemed to come alive, and we almost couldn't believe they weren't real, especially Gray and Chav. We liked how Nancy Springer kept humor in the book despite the fact that the subject matter was so serious. The only thing that we thought was a bit unrealistic had to be the ending. It was a little too perfect. But in all it was a great book. We would LOVE to see a sequel to this book. GREAT JOB NANCY SPRINGER!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you are age 12 or older we would recommend these books:
They're All Named Wildfire, also by Nancy Springer
Shadow Horse, by Alison Hart
Blind Beauty, by K. M. Peyton
The Snow Pony, by Alison Lester
The First Horse I See, by Sally M. Keehn
All great books!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The BOY on a Black Horse, November 6, 2009
This review is from: Boy on a Black Horse (Paperback)
I remember reading this book when I was in High school, and now, even though it has been many years since I was last at school, it has lost none of its raw power. For 10+ years I have been haunted by the images created in Nancy Springer's book of teenagers, love, other tricky emotions and what destructive power abuse can havoc on the human soul. Definitely a book for teenagers and the hopeless teenage-at-heart romantics. Even if you're not into horses (which I am not, really) it is a fantastic, emotionally engaging book. I was crying again on re-reading it even after all those years of first reading it. I don't know how Nancy Springer does it, but you find yourself caught up in Chav and Gray's story and really living their emotions and feeling their confusion, pain and joy. A book that stays with you long after you have finished it, and I mean LONG after.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved reading this many times as a teen, June 26, 2014
Margaret Anne Pinard (San Luis Obispo, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Boy on a Black Horse (Paperback)
I just came across this book again and remembered loving it as a teen. Boy on a Black Horse and Dream of the Stone were two of my favorite reads as a young, misunderstood, lovesick girl! Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book was so moving, December 30, 2013
D. Lund (Long Beach, CA USA) - See all my reviews
My daughter could not put this book down and was really able to feel deeply for these characters especially because she has no frame of reference for the problems or needs of characters so out of her reality.

The Boy on a Black Horse
The Boy on a Black Horse by Nancy Springer (Paperback - February 21, 2010)
$9.99