5.0 out of 5 stars A Stunning Achievement
Published on October 24, 2006 by Matthew Lingo

2.0 out of 5 stars "Clean" version is not CLEAN!!
If you are looking for "The Black Parade" without explicit lyrics, THIS IS NOT IT!! This just has the shorter (single) version of "Welcome to the Black Parade" other than that it is the same as the version with the parental advisory on it. I don't understand why they put this out labeled this way. It doesn't even have the "clean" singles verion of "Teenagers" that was...
Published on May 12, 2007 by Steve Blake

5.0 out of 5 stars A Stunning Achievement, October 24, 2006
This review is from: The Black Parade (Audio CD)
I'll be the first to admit it: I was not a fan of My Chemical Romance. This was exactly the type of band I had taken to ignoring; it sounded like pop-punk, so it had to be worthless in my eyes. My Chemical Romance was nothing more than a derivative band with no identity, a group who were more interesting in vampires and selling T-Shirts than in crafting essential music. My disinterest was such that when told by a friend that the new single (the epic "Welcome to the Black Parade") was actually good, I distractedly listened to the first three minutes and said I liked them. After all, I couldn't be missing much, could I?

It turns out that I was missing a lot, and in writing this, I'm going to eat my words. It was easy to dismiss My Chemical Romance before, but now it will be impossible. With The Black Parade, an urgent, passionate, insane, awesome piece of music, this band has become essential to the musical landscape. This is an album for the ages.

The Black Parade is a concept album, and tells the story of a man known only as The Patient, a victim of cancer. The album starts with the Patient's death, spends its midsection ruminating on the life he left behind, and ends with his good-byes. It's a hugely ambitious work, and it would have been so easy for it to implode into a sloppy, incoherent mish-mash of "sensitive", junior high level poetry and forgettable power chords.

That's the kind of thing the old MCR would do. It's what characterized their first two albums, their Goth-oriented fashion sense, everything about them. But that's the thing about this album: more than anything, it's a coming out for the new My Chemical Romance--a glorious, unapologetically theatrical behemoth. The Black Parade of the title is as much a celebration of this new sound as it is a rite of passage for the deceased protagonist.

Here we see MCR dipping their toe into all sorts of musical styles. "Mama" starts out as a baroque number reminiscent of The Decemberists, before evolving into an exuberantly nasty cabaret number (complete with a cameo by Liza Minelli). "Teenagers" is a throwback to some of the best punk rock of the 70's. The lyrics may not exactly be poetry, but they don't have to be. The juxtaposition between the bombastic grandiosity of the musical arrangements themselves and the direct, bruising quality of the lyrics (Cancer's icky "I'm soggy from the chemo" sticks in the mind) make for a sort of abrasive splendor; this is possibly the most triumphant album about death and dying that has ever been recorded.

None of this would matter of course, if the music itself wasn't up to snuff. Here, frontman Gerard Way reveals a previously untapped musicianship, an ability to make the hugeness of The Black Parade's sound remain fresh through the use of diverse instrumentation and irresistible hooks (something The Killers failed to do in their similarly anthemic but overcooked sophomore album). It isn't every band that manages not only to stick a tra-la-la sing-along at the end of a song song, but dare you not to sing along with it.

And now, as the Patient joins his Black Parade, as the hype dies down, as the implications of this astounding achievement make themselves known, questions arise: was it a fluke? Did My Chemical Romance always have this untapped potential? And, perhaps most importantly: what's next? All I have to say is this: Gerard, the ball is in your court.

10/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful., October 25, 2006
Shannon Wright "makomori" (Woodstock, Georgia United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Black Parade (Audio CD)
Okay, I'll be the first to admit... I had my hopes that this album would be amazing, but at the same time I couldn't bring myself to believe that My Chemical Romance could possibly exceed both of their previous albums. After I heard the rumors that the new CD's title would be "The Rise and Fall of My Chemical Romance", my hopes kind of fell into a rather large hole. You'd be amazed to know how something as small as a CD title can affect my brain--it seems silly, but I began to not expect much from them.

Finally, I heard about The Black Parade... my hopes skyrocketted because I started hearing more and more good things about the album. And upon purchasing it yesterday, it has not left my home, car, and work CD player. It's on constant repeat. I'm so, so, so happy to say that I was not disappointed by MCR. This album has only served to increase my absolute love of this band.

Okay. They've changed their sound. The music isn't as dark... but the LYRICS. The lyrics are still MCR. They still scream bloody murder WE. ARE. MY. CHEMICAL. ROMANCE. Even if the music or Gerard's voice are both different from their first two albums, who cares? The band is growing. I happen to like Three Cheers and Bullets equally. I don't think MCR would want to sound the same time after time after time... To me, an album is an expression of where you are in life at that particular moment. The lyrics and music SHOULD reflect this, and it shouldn't matter if it's creating a different sound or not. MCR's music is just about as much for them as it is for their fans, if not more. We should remember this as fans of their music and not write them off as complete has-beens because they've been featured on MTV one too many times. Just because they have a new sound DOES NOT mean they've sold out.

I digress. The effort put into this album is apparent from the very beginning as you tear off the wrapping and take your first glimpse at the album's enchantingly beautiful artwork. The amount of work that went into creating this concept must've been brilliant--it just looks perfect. The music itself gives off this air of being reborn, or that no matter what situation you're in, there's always hope for you. That death (The Black Parade?) is something to never fear because it's only the beginning of something new. The lyrics still speak to us of death and darkness and blood, but, again, they give us faith. We'll make it through this thing we call life. Death isn't as scary as you think. Don't worry anymore.

I just want to say, this album is a great way to start off as an MCR fan. If you've never listened to them before, or only heard one or two songs off their other albums--now's your chance to hear one of the best things they've ever done. You won't be disappointed. I promise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pop music? What do you mean by pop music?, December 3, 2006
Ryan Webb (Las Vegas, NV) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Black Parade (Audio CD)
Some people crack me up; punk rock is over thirty years old and we hear the same old arguments. They are selling out! It's poppy! WTF? Punk music CREATED what "pop" music would become--it was a way to sell mediocre bands for massive amounts of money, a.k.a. the Ramones and the Sex Pistols. And do not even try to argue that these later bands were musically talented. They were fun, but they were not Mozart. God. So please, do not even bring these "sell out" arguments into analyzing The Black Parade.

MCR was out to sell an album, but they were out to sell a GOOD album; they were out to make a musical composition. The Black Parade flows, and it all works together. It is not one or two good songs and a bunch of filler. It has a theme, and the music is correlated and emotional. Is it as dark as their other tunes? Probably not, but who the hell cares? Why do we have to be "as dark" in our music as humanly possible? What's wrong with a little bit of sweet melancholy?

Music isn't about being an identity or a culture. It's about making music. If it sells records, it doesn't mean its a bad album either. If you can listen to The Black Parade five times in a row and still not have it memorized, and still find yourself impacted emotionally, its a five star album. I think I've listened to this piece 8 or 9 times and I'm still loving it. So Buy it. Or download it. Whatever you do, don't knock on it because it wasn't what you expected.

If it wasn't what you expected that should be a GOOD thing. It means a band is experimenting, and MCR is taking this in a good direction. They're more developed than they used to be, and they're more musically complex. If a band isn't experimenting, they're dead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful., October 25, 2006
This review is from: The Black Parade (Audio CD)
(Note: Copy and pasted from my review on the limited edition. I figured this is the CD people will be looking at mostly, since it's the less expensive version. I have both versions, though, and, let me say, the limited edition is well worth the money. Feel free to ask me any questions you may have about it if you need to. I've pretty much examined the entire thing about a gazillion times by now, lol.)

5.0 out of 5 stars a masterpiece, December 26, 2006
Mama-2-2 (Spring Hope, NC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Black Parade (Audio CD)
This CD is nothing short of a masterpiece. The concept flows seamlessly from one song to the next as it examines the life of the "Patient." I bought this the week that it came out and I have listened to it every day since, sometimes multiple times! Many times when I listen, I still find new things about it that I didn't pick up on previously--new meanings, new instrumental sounds, etc. It is one of the few CD's that I own on which I like every single song. This band really took out all the stops with this one! I would not compare it with any of their previous work, because there is no comparison; I own all of their CD's, and I like the other ones, but this one truly is the best. It shows a level of depth and maturity that is lacking on the others. Gerard's voice has developed and he pushes it to the top. No question about it---5 stars!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Hopeful, Macabre, Angry Celebration of Life and Death. It's Huge., April 26, 2007
This review is from: The Black Parade (Audio CD)
Is the word 'Masterpiece' an overstatement here? I don't know why this album has divided MCR fans down the middle and gotten mixed reviews. All I know that it's my first exposure to them and I think this album is brilliant akin to the likes of Sgt. Pepper (The Beatles), The Joshua Tree (U2), or Morning View (Incubus).

That's a lot to say coming from someone who shudders at the idea of paying money for a punk, goth, or emo record. I can't tell if MCR is any of those, or a combination of them, or an aberration of them. The only thing that resonated with me before the first listen is that the lead singer is an Iron Maiden fan. I like the Beatles and Metallica, and have never listened to anything like this in my life.

The main thing about this band is that they have passion. The Gerard Way (vocalist) screams, cries, seethes, and basically slops heart-on-the sleeve emotion all over the whole thing with either unbridled abandon, or the best damn artificial angst I've ever heard - probably a little of both. The guitars churn, the lead solos bleed, the drums incite rage. The lyrics are gut wrenching, the concept is dark and beautiful.

Rarely does a modern record coax such strong feelings out of me. The sad parts bring tears, the biting humor is laugh-out-loud, and the hope and anger surge through every song.

Brilliant. Absolutely Brilliant. If you haven't yet, you owe it to yourself to get this, and join the Black Parade.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Day for a Parade, February 21, 2007
This review is from: The Black Parade (Audio CD)
MCR has done a fine job channeling Queen through a Green Day megaphone. Kudos to these Jersey Boys for showing that relevancy doesn't mean you have to abandon the past. Derivative, nope; (re)inventive is probably a better way to describe this solid album. The special edition packaging is pure brilliance. The pseudo-daguerrotypes and the graphics accompanying the lyrics add to the overall feel of the album and are as integral to the album as the music itself. Black Parade demonstrates that MCR is more than a gothic token act for the TRL crowd. Bravo.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Black Parade, Best one I have!, January 26, 2007
This review is from: The Black Parade (Audio CD)
This is probably the most sraight up cd I've ever bought. It makes cry and feel stronger at the same time! It gives you courage to be different, and to be someone you really want top be.The booklet that cam inside it is really inspirational.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth 200 million stars, April 6, 2007
A Kid's Review
This review is from: The Black Parade (Audio CD)
My Chemical Romance is by far one of the best bands out there, and this album proves it. You can see how much this band put into their work and how empowering everything is. I have this limited edition version of the Black Parade and it is amazing. The extra cards are so cool and the booklet is hard to put down. Then there's the cd...oh the cd. It's one of the best cd's I own and it really shows MCR's growth.

The End- A great opening that shows you just what to expect in the other tracks

Dead!- One of my favorite MCR songs ever. It has a great beat that never gets old

This is how I Disappear- Amazing song, It sounds really cool towards the end

The Sharpest Lives- I love this song! Great lyrics and also a good beat

Welcome to the Black Parade- This is the definition of a rock opera. It has all sorts of different parts to it that makes it so epic.

I Don't Love You- Such a sad song, watch the music video and see how emotional Gerard Way (the lead singer) is. so sad! (I love Gerard!!)

House of Wolves- Another of my favorite songs, it is so energetic and lively!!!

Cancer- Also sad, not one of my personal favorites but it is a really beautiful song

Mama- A different song, but still awesome. It sounds so cool...enough said

Sleep- Very, very sad. Especially when you hear a man at the end say "I can't even wake up." *tear*

Teenagers- The chorus of this song is so addictive. It's a song that make you want to get up and jump around...

Disenchanted- Yet another sad song with a little bit of a faster pace. I can't describe this song really, just listen to it...it's good.

Famous Last Words- WOW!!!!!!!!! Most definately the BEST SONG EVER!!!! My favorite song by MCR!! In the lyrics, music, and video they are really giving it there all.

Hidden Track: Blood- A hilarious song that has sort of the music style like Mama in a way.

My Chemical Romance is an amazing band. At first I hated them, thinking that they were just some Green Day wannabe's because they dressed like them and now had the same producer. But I never listened to them and I was so0o0o0o0o0o0o0o wrong. They are totally different in a good way, and I love both Green Day and My Chemical Romance. They have incredibly enchanting lyrics and riffs that just blow me away. They are not emo, or goth. They consider themselves punk rock or simply just rock for the most part. Don't judge them before you listen to them with an open mind. Just listen and you'll see....

5.0 out of 5 stars The Amazing Parade, August 18, 2007
A Kid's Review
This review is from: The Black Parade (Audio CD)
'The Black Parade' has been out for almost a year, and it has not lost one single spark. This album holds meaning and truth towards topics that some other so-called punk rock bands never dare touch apon, and My Chemical Romance have topped off their previous records with one of the most amazing pieces of art I have ever had the pleasure of listening to. Despite their 'EMO' appearance, My Chemical Romance / 'The Black Parade' have proven all people wrong with their deep, thought out lyrics and the perfect ending to an out of this world album, the track 'Famous Last Words' with the fist-pumping, sing-a-long chorus that will always remain in your heart after listening to it: 'I am not afraid to keep on living, I am not afraid to walk this world alone.' With this album, My Chemical Romance have showed a maturity and caring that I have never seen in any other band, and it shows 100%. They re-created themselves, they toured non-stop, and it looks like they're here to stay. My Chemical Romance are definitely worth the listen, and it's a mystery of what's to come next.

Rate and Discover Movies