Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Blood Sugar Solution Cookbook: More than 175 Ultra-Tasty Recipes for Total Health and Weight Loss
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

I picked up Dr. Hyman's The Blood Sugar Solution Cookbook because at the age of 57 I've finally progressed from being pre-diabetic to having Type II diabetes, no doubt brought on by a lifetime of poor eating habits. I don't want to spend the rest of my life battling a debilitating disease. So after reading his book The Blood Sugar Solution, I'm ready to put into action what sounds like common sense cooking and eating.

I've been looking forward to this cookbook, because it can be difficult to "convert" our old recipes to fit this new way of cooking. If you're like me, your grocery shopping list will look NOTHING like what you've been buying before now. Be prepared to think differently about what you feed your body.

Dr. Hyman's goal, and the purpose of this healthy way of eating, is to help us prevent (preferably) or reverse two life-threatening epidemics...obesity and diabetes...or what he calls "Diabesity." He's done tons of research that explains why after so many years and so many "diets," we're so much more physically ill.

If you haven't read his book, that's okay because I would say The Blood Sugar Solution Cookbook can certainly stand on its own. He actually covers a lot of the same basic information you need...such as taking a quiz to determine whether or not you're suffering from "diabesity". He also encourages you to visit his web site where you can find lots of information and join support groups...if that is of interest to you.

The recipes in this cookbook are based on a healthy eating plan that cuts out all types of sugars (the main focus and of course my point of weakness!), flour, processed foods, and packaged foods. In other words...our meals should contain "real", unaltered, unprocessed whole foods.

The first 64 pages contain step-by-step help on how to prepare your kitchen for healthier cooking. This includes what kitchen tools you should have, getting rid of unhealthy foods you already have (which is basically EVERYTHING in my kitchen and an important step for me, because if it isn't IN my kitchen, it won't be IN what I cook and eat), how to read ingredient labels, and stocking your pantry with the right ingredients. The author also includes the nutritional information per serving of each recipe, the preparation time, cook time, level of difficulty (easy/moderate), and budget info ($/$$). Most are easy/$.

The cookbook is easy to read with clear and simple directions. But don't expect to see your typical church potluck recipes in this one. This isn't intended to be "comfort food" that we're accustomed to seeing in most cookbooks and magazines. This is a serious change in the healthy direction. At first glance, some of the recipes looked a bit intimidating because a few of the ingredients are totally new to me. But then that's no surprise considering until now I haven't taken healthy cooking seriously. I live in a very small and remote town, so a few of the recipes that I'm eager to try (like the breakfast shakes) will have to wait until I can get to a full-size grocery store or whole foods store.

Some examples of recipes you'll find in this book are breakfasts such as Popeye the Sailor Energy Boost, Raspberry Banana Cream Pie Smoothie, and Dr. Hyman's Chinese Eggs and Greens. For soups and salads, there's Roasted Red Pepper and Cannellini Bean Soup, Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili, Sadie's White Bean and Shrimp Soup, Carribean Black-Eyed Pea Salad, and Grapefruit and Avocado Salad with Dijon Lime Vinaigrette.

Examples of entrees include Sauteed Spinach and Tomatoes over Roasted Spaghetti Squash, Coconut Shrimp with Lemongrass Quinoa and Thai Vegetables, Apricot-Glazed Pork and Vegetable Stir-Fry over Sauteed Greens, Roasted Apple and Sweet Potato Medley.

There are also recipes for snacks and side dishes like Quinoa and Avocado Salad, Crispy Kale Chips with Sea Salt, Artichoke Hearts with Caramelized Onions and Herb Dressing and even desserts such as Guilt-Free Chocolate Mousse and Lisa's Lemon Vanilla Cupcakes

I picked the Creamy Asparagus Soup to try first. I would describe it as simple, light, and delicious. I followed the recipe almost exactly as written, but I skipped one important step. Since I bought tiny, narrow spears, I assumed I didn't need to peel/trim the tough outer layer with a potato peeler. Big mistake. My husband loved the flavor, but he didn't like the tiny pieces of the outer layer that did not soften or puree. I recommend that you not skip this step and you will have an excellent soup. Anyway, I have to say that with so few ingredients, I was actually surprised that it had so much flavor, just needing a little salt and pepper to taste. When you think about the fact that you're making a "creamy" soup without the cream, you realize it's a totally healthy alternative way of cooking. So much lighter and just as flavorful as it's cream-based predecessor. I'm going to try a broccoli/cauliflower variation using this same recipe.

If there's anything I would change about this cookbook, it is the number of pictures they used, which is very few. Unlike many cookbooks that are filled with colorful pictures of most or all of the completed recipes, this one is not. There are actually only 16 pictures. They are beautiful, full-page photos located in the middle of the book, but only 16 nonetheless. That's a little disappointing, because pictures are often what motivate me to try the recipe. Then again, pictures can really bump the price of any book up, and you're getting a lot of good health information and recipes for a pretty reasonable price here.

That said, I would recommend this cookbook to anyone who is seriously ready to "dump the junk" and take back their health.
1212 comments|490 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I was offered an advanced review copy of this cookbook, and decided to give it a look. Although I don't have diabetes, my mother died of complications from it, and I'm cautious about following in her footsteps. So, I do my best to eat a balanced healthy diet. That means a combination of protein, fat, and yes, carbs.

I also love to cook, and have amassed a collection of cookbooks from around the world. Given my background, a good number of them would be categorized as "healthy eating"-type books.

My primary beef with most low-carb diets is an over-reliance on individual glycemic index "scores." This book does NOT take that approach. It recognizes that these individual scores can be mitigated by what else one consumes at the same time, and that "glycemic load" is more realistic than "glycemic index" in determining the impact on blood sugar. In other words, some carbs are OK, in moderation, and combined with other foods. From page 36, "Adding fiber, protein, or fat to any carbohydrate will also lower the glycemic load of the meal." And the recipes reflect this sensible approach.

So what about the recipes? They're divided into two groups: "basic," and "advanced." The "advanced" group is much more restrictive, and is for people who are seriously obese, who already have diabetes, or who have other conditions that necessitate a more restrictive approach. There is a self-quiz in the introductory chapters that tells you which set of recipes to use as a start.

The advanced recipes eliminate grains and starchy vegetables and limit fruits to 1/2 C per day. Even with these restrictions, there are some excellent recipes in this section. The "Weekday Veggie Scramble," for example, is full of high-flavor ingredients (red bell pepper, onion, kale, garlic) and eggs. Filling, tasty, excellent! There are a couple of other egg/veggie breakfast recipes that are equally good (Vegetable Egg Scramble and Garden Omelet), and these have become some of my "go to" breakfast choices.

For lunch, I've made the Brazilian Black Bean Soup -- black beans, celery, onion, spices -- plus just enough heat (1/2 of a small poblano pepper) to make it interesting. The Chile Verde Chicken is right up my alley: a spicy tomatillo sauce over nicely seasoned chicken breasts. Yummy!

And that's just the "Advanced" section of the book.

In the "Basic" section, you get more options, more fruit (Tarragon Chicken Salad is nice this time of year, with chicken, watercress, and a diced medium pear, with a dressing containing cardamom, tarragon, and walnut oil), and some grains). Most of the recipes use easy-to-find ingredients, and so are accessible to most home cooks.

I ended up liking this book far more than I thought I would. And I've included it in my "kitchen shelf" where I keep the cookbooks I use most often. It's really that good.
22 comments|228 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 26, 2013
I must admit that I was surprised when Mark Hyman's publicist asked if I would like to see the The Blood Sugar Solution Cookbook: More than 175 Ultra-Tasty Recipes for Total Health and Weight Loss several weeks ago. While I review many cookbooks, I don't often review "health food" books or, heaven forbid, diet "cookbooks." All too often "health food" and "diet food" run quite counter to my food philosophy. I believe that food should be fresh, home-cooked, and local if that is feasible, not special expensive dehydrated "food" that you have to buy from some plan. (There is a reason that they call it the diet industry - emphasis on industry!) I also happen to think that food should taste good and not be loaded with artificial sweeteners and preservatives.

I don't follow all of the latest fads in diets so I had never heard of The Blood Sugar Solution, so WOW was I ever surprised when The Blood Sugar Solution Cookbook: More than 175 Ultra-Tasty Recipes for Total Health and Weight Loss showed up a couple of days later. Other than a handful of smoothie recipes (I don't like smoothies - any of them, not just these), there isn't a single recipe in this book that I wouldn't cook, eat and serve to guests. Many of them are quite similar to things that I already make. I didn't come across a single recipe where my first thought was "my family wouldn't touch that" - and that is very important. It is very hard, both psychologically and financially, to "diet" while those around you eat all the things that you wish you were eating. Even my son-in-law, a very picky eater, would happily consume 90% of everything in the book - important, because I've been trying to encourage him to eat a bit better for some time.

The Blood Sugar Solution Cookbook: More than 175 Ultra-Tasty Recipes for Total Health and Weight Loss is divided into two sections. In the first part, Dr. Hyman outlines his Blood Sugar Solution eating plan. While he does have a website and a book specific to the plan (The Blood Sugar Solution), he provides plenty of information right within the pages of The Blood Sugar Solution Cookbook: More than 175 Ultra-Tasty Recipes for Total Health and Weight Loss to allow you to follow his diet on your own. While I am not going to endorse Dr. Hyman's diet (it would be against my own licensure and ethics to do so), I will say that many of the statements he makes about things like your cholesterol levels are absolutely accurate.

This is not a diet intended to make you feel deprived. First, the diet is time limited to 6 or 12 weeks. During that time you forgo sweeteners, gluten and certain carbohydrates, and all dairy, but you'll find things like olive oil and avocado even on the "advanced" plan for those with active diabetes. Nor is this a "raw" diet or one loaded with "rabbit food" or things you've never heard of, never mind know where to buy. You could easily follow this anywhere in the country, right out of your local grocery store.

In this first section you will also find charts to help you decide whether the Basic or Advanced plan is best for your particular situation and, of course, lists of things you can eat. One list that particularly caught my eye was the list of Low-Glycemic Vegetables - the ones Dr. Hyman recommends make up 50-75% of your plate at every meal, the ones you can have unlimited amounts of.

Artichokes
Tomatoes
Turnip greens
Watercress
Zucchini

Well surprise, Surprise, SURPRISE - isn't that just the list of the contents of Grandma's fridge! Well, except for the cilantro I can't do without - but cilantro is on the Superfoods list, so I suspect it belongs on this list too and that the omission was an oversight.

And then come the recipes. Now THESE I could eat. Actually I do eat things that are very similar. More importantly, every recipe in the book is the sort of thing that your husband, your children and your guests will eat and enjoy right along with you. Yes you CAN have guacamole - generous amounts of it.

Dr. Hyman lays much of the blame for America's epidemic of what he calls "diabesity" squarely at the feet of a society where packaged foods have replaced home cooking. Rather than sell you pre-packaged "allowed" food, you're expected to cook your own. To that end, these recipes are both simple and quick, most taking well under an hour. There are no four page recipes, none that require you to pre-cook a half-dozen different things before you can put a dish together or have the skills of a Cordon Bleu grad.

I've had to practically pry my copy of The Blood Sugar Solution Cookbook: More than 175 Ultra-Tasty Recipes for Total Health and Weight Loss out of my daughter's hands (she's been cooking from this since the day it arrived - but don't tell my son-in-law that he is dieting please!) to have a turn with it myself. This is one of the recipes we've all enjoyed. It is, BTW, on the Advanced plan, though you could certainly eat it on the Basic plan too.

Chile Verde Chicken

Verde Sauce -
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
16 small tomatillos, husked
2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and halved (leave some of the seeds for more heat)
3 garlic cloves, peeled
1 large white onion, chopped
1 bunch cilantro, about 3 ounces
1 teaspoon ground cumin
juice of 2 limes
sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Chicken -
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 (5 ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Make the Verde Sauce-

1. Heat the broth in a medium pot over high heat. Once it boils reduce the heat to medium low and add the tomatillos, jalapeños and garlic cloves. Cook at a brisk simmer until the vegetables are soft, 5-6 minutes.

2. Transfer the contents of the pot to a blender. Add the onion, cilantro, cumin, lime juice, salt and black pepper while the blender is running. Blend until smooth, about 2 minutes. Set aside.

Make the Chicken -

1. Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium high heat. Season the chicken breasts generously with salt and pepper and add them to the hot pan. Cook until all the chicken pieces are brown, about 3 minutes per side.

2. Reduce the heat to low and add the blended Verde sauce. Cover the pan and simmer until the chicken is very tender, 20-25 minutes.

3. Shred the chicken with two forks and serve in the Verde sauce. Any leftover chicken can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.

Well, I'm off to hide the book before my daughter arrives this morning. I suppose I had better order her a copy of her own.

Grandma's $0.02 - The Blood Sugar Solution Cookbook: More than 175 Ultra-Tasty Recipes for Total Health and Weight Loss is full of recipes that your entire family will enjoy. This might just be the "diet" you can stick to. Highly recommended!

PS - Never start a diet without consulting your own physician first.
66 comments|307 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 16, 2013
I checked out The Blood Sugar Solution Cookbook by Mark Hyman, MD from my local library. That's my usual procedure before adding another cookbook to my bulging shelves. Over a three-week period I have tried several of the recipes contained in the book. Having done so, I am curious who exactly tested and/or wrote out the recipes? There are several of them where ingredients appear to have been left out, or where there is not enough to do what is stated in the instructions. I ended up needing to double some amounts (clearly making the nutritional analysis incorrect according to what the book states). Here is one example:

Lemon-Garlic-Basil Chicken (page 229)

2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, peeled
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
juice of 1/2 small lemon
3 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
4 (5-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts

1-1/2 teaspoons of the olive oil plus the next 5 ingredients are combined and then you are to "toss the chicken until evenly coated" and let it marinate for 10-15 minutes. There is so little of the mixture, it is impossible to do! (And, I made sure the chicken was the correct weight for the recipe.) I ended up doubling the amounts (except salt) to be able to do any coating at all. The flavor was wonderful and my family enjoyed the chicken -- I will give it that -- but I am working on recording my calories, sodium, etc. into a tracker, and I am sure it was off for that meal.

Another recipe (Moroccan Chicken with Cauliflower and Cashews) says at the end to "transfer to a serving dish and garnish with the chopped cashews." The recipe calls for 6 cups of low-sodium chicken broth. Without rice or a grain included in the recipe, this one ends up being a soup rather than something you could place onto a serving dish. None of the other ingredients will soak up that much broth while it cooks "about 25 minutes" in the oven. Was something left out? Again, the taste was great, but I wasn't planning on serving a soup that night (based on what the recipe implied).

If you are serious about watching your blood sugar, the amounts need to be correct and the nutritional analysis right! Readers shouldn't have to make adjustments like I found myself needing to do on all but one of the recipes I tried. Will I buy the cookbook? I am trying a few more recipes before I make up my mind. I love the overall principle and so many of the recipes sound great. The jury is still out for me.
55 comments|63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 9, 2013
I just bought the kindle edition and have tried a few of the recipes, so fall all excellent. My one, major complaint is the lack of an index. For example, I am in the mood for chicken, there is no way to find all the available chicken recipes! The Table of Contents lists recipes by meal type .- Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner- further broken down by Plan type, Basic, Advanced, Reintroduction. Using the search function on the kindle gets me ALL references to chicken... A lot to wade thru. An index is a very basic, essential tool, the lack of which make this otherwise excellent cookbook annoying to use!
33 comments|70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Five years ago my husband and I both had pneumonia for most of the winter, when my husband endured a heart attack it was not all that surprising. However, a few days later when the cardiologist returned from the stent procedure and told me "your husband's heart is so badly diseased, his next step is a heart transplant!" my jaw hit the floor. I was stunned. Three days later still enduring pneumonia we returned to the emergency department - where the doctor failed to correct an electrolyte balance, further depleted his electrolytes with IV Lasix so my husband experienced death while in their care. Obviously this was the most traumatic week in my life... and his...

... upon resuscitation, my husband was scared. He instinctively knew he had *coded* and said to me "Hon, what's wrong with me? What's my body DOING to me?!"

The last five years our journey has led us to a path of not only successfully reversing his heart disease but to also RESOLVE his former 18 years of Type 2 Diabetes. Formerly, when maxed out on two oral diabetes medications his A1C was well over 10 and sometimes as high as 13 or more. Fasting blood glucose levels were often 300-400 with those occasional spikes into the 500s. Over the years his primary care doctors were all convinced he was not taking his medications, they used to chastise him. Family members ridiculed him when he wanted a soda or a glass of orange juice or a plate of spaghetti. He was depressed and frustrated. I made plenty of mistakes too - afterall I am the one who stupidly made the appointments and insisted we attended "diabetes education" where they insisted he eat *white* rice or bleached enriched products (but in very tiny amounts - starvation sized servings!) that we now know the truth about today. The problems were not only with portion control but WHAT he was eating - over-processed junk devoid of real nutrition. You know, that stuff sold as "food" in bright packages in the grocery. His body was STARVING for real nutrition, he was eating everything in sight - especially Fast Food Row. Those Golden Arches tugged at him to hit the drive-thru again and again as he drove past them at seemingly every suburban street corner. We all know the story... and it usually ends with Death. Only our story BEGINS with Death. My husband's Death. And his resuscitation which gave him, us, an opportunity to learn a new lifestyle.

We found the answers to his questions. We learned about reversing disease and the research of Dr. Stephen Sinatra MD and discovered the world of Metabolic Cardiology in The Sinatra Solution: Metabolic Cardiology. We learned the value of proper Vitamin D levels and now maintain ours near 100. We learned about minerals and the research of Dr. Joel Wallach, DVM, ND and his wife Dr. Ma Lan, MD, OMD in their books Hell's Kitchen: Causes, Prevention and Cure of Obesity, Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome,Let's Play Herbal Doctor and Immortality as well as the truth of Modern Western Medicine in Dead Doctors Don't Lie. We also found the truth and amazing guidance in Dr. Julian Whitaker's books including Reversing Diabetes and Reversing Heart Disease: A Vital New Program to Help Prevent, Treat, and Eliminate Cardiac Problems Without Surgery.

In a nutshell, many of us who are obese or we suffer from Type 2 Diabetes and insulin resistance or we suffer from PCOS and various ovarian syndromes, or those of us who suffer from Chronic Fatigue or even those who's bodies are feeding cancers, we all have things to learn from the Blood Sugar Solution and now The Blood Sugar Solution Cookbook. Dr. Mark Hyman MD has shared many time honored TASTY recipes that help us to restore our much needed vitamins and minerals and essential amino acids and phytonutrients that we all need for HEALTH and VITALITY.

Today my husband suffers from lingering mobility issues after enduring months of a paralyzing encephalitis. His hand initially shriveled up like a claw (thankfully with much therapy and rehab he is slowly regaining functionality and muscle tone in all the areas hit hardest by the "unilateral partial paralysis".) His weakness eventually caused him a fractured hip, then a broken back, and lingering tingling and pain from the misfiring nerves. Day by day his symptoms have been gradually improving. As we look back with 20/20 hindsight we are able to identify positive changes over the previous months. The one thing that he does NOT suffer from anymore is metabolic issues. Of any kind. His A1C levels are now 5.2 - THREE FULL YEARS without diabetes medications of any kind. All the other labs have shown improvements as well. Today we each require fewer medications than ever before; our goal is to become free of medications, a task we believe we can accomplish. His heart beats stronger with each passing season. Even his cardiac issues are slowly resolving themselves - something we were led to believe were impossible, afterall when I inquired into Cardiac Rehab for him their retort "Cardiac Rehab? That's for the LIVING!" and the electro physiologist statement "you don't understand, you're taking your husband home to die" as well as "he'll be dead within 2 weeks, probably a few days" was drilled into me by his (former) physicians in those early days as we began to realize we needed to not only reverse multiple chronic nutrient deficiencies but also the damages he incurred as a result of multiple severe failures in our modern medical system that ultimately shattered the engendered reliance we had for western medicine.

Anything is possible when we set our minds to making lasting changes. The Blood Sugar Solution Cookbook will NOT cure your cancer nor reverse your diabetes. However, it is a tool for you, if you are DEDICATED and SINCERE about making lasting change. Dr. Hyman's cookbook is a tool to learn how to make tasty recipes of the wholesome foods that are vital to helping to restore true health. Let food be thy medicine. We have been privileged to have had access to this book for a few weeks prior today's release. There are many recipes in this book that we have come to absolutely love!

My husband reports his favorite recipes are a tie between Grilled Rosemary Chicken Breasts and Lemon-Garlic-Basil Chicken (amazing since he doesn't usually prefer garlic!) I have too many favorites to list them all... The Worlds Healthiest Breakfast is up there as is Chinese Eggs and Greens (ideally made with farm fresh eggs from a farmer's market). The Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili is a favorite in our household, especially on days like today when we barely dodged a foot deep snow fall!

A special comment for those who are NOT particularly comfortable in a kitchen: I highly recommend this book for anyone who is not entirely familiar with their kitchen and has called the number of their favorite pizza delivery so often as to be able to greet their delivery driver by name! Dr. Hyman breaks down in simple instructions some basic food preparation methods such as how to steam or how to saute. He explains which inexpensive tools to have in the kitchen to help make meal preparation easier. Dr. Hyman takes a few paragraphs to explain how to stock a kitchen and which ingredients to maintain on hand. And most importantly Dr. Hyman encourages FUN while making his recipes, he even reminds us to listen to music when in the kitchen. If you have a loved one who is NOT the worlds most adept cook, then this book is absolutely for them!

This book by itself will NOT change a life. However for those who are serious that they WANT to change their lives and improve their health, then this book is a great tool for guidance and encouragement. If my husband who was a drive thru junkie can take a fasting blood glucose level of 502 WHILE ON MEDICATIONS and turn that around so now he has an A1C of 5.2 without medications while enjoying preparing fresh healthy meals then anything is possible! The nutrients we focused on for reversing his Type 2 diabetes included vitamin D, magnesium, chromium, vanadium and selenium as well as plenty of essential fatty acids (low fat restrictions for a recovering cardiac patient?? Heck no! We increased his omega 3 fats upwards of 8-12 grams per day plus healthy dietary fats!) We also found the benefits of adding D-Ribose to his drinking water to lower his blood glucose levels. It was a tremendous paradigm shift for us, I was adding "sugar" as d-ribose to his drinking water.. to LOWER his blood glucose levels! With some squeezes of lemons into this water he found the joy of "healthy lemon-aid" which was simply filtered water, d-ribose powder and fresh lemon juice, to taste. So if we can reverse both end stage severe congestive heart failure (his ejection fraction was less than 15% after FOUR stents were placed) as well as "resolve" chronic severe type 2 diabetes, then anything is possible with resolve and dedication when following a wholesome lifestyle full of life-sustaining nutrients while free of unnecessary modern food chemicals in the over-processed chemicalized sludge commonly referred to as "food" in those colorful packages in the artificially lit supermarkets.

Note: A copy of this book was provided for reviewing purposes. However, the author nor his publicist had any idea this book was on my wishlist of books I intended to peruse this year.
22 comments|90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 27, 2013
I was recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease (messed up thyroid). My doctor referred me to Dr Hyman's book and diet. I told that I was to do the Advanced Plan. When I took Dr Hyman's quizzes this plan was confirmed. I was overwhelmed! No grains at all. No winter squash. No dairy! Most of my meals were wiped out. While I navigate pretty well on my own, getting this book has made me excited about cooking again! I love how it is broken out into the three recommended plans..Basic, Advanced and Continuing. can't wait to be able to do some of the basic and continuing recipes after my next drs appt includes positive test results and high fives.

I highly recommend this cookbook and the diet. I feel better than I have in over a decade. I have more energy and a sense of peace I thought would never come back. I think some call is it being calm versus anxious LOL
on December 16, 2013
Excellent Strategy for healthy eating!

After 6 weeks I've lost 15lbs+ and have a lot more energy through out the day. This is an eating plan and lifestyle that I can stick with. I've actually saved $$ by doing this. I spend roughly $130 a week at the grocery store for 2 people and and am never hungry because you need to eat everything you got as it will go bad.

My goto Meal is Sauteed Veggies in EVOO. I would have eaten more veggies a long time ago if they were made this way. My most hated veggies (Brussel Sprouts and spinach) are now my 2 favorite ones.

Here is what I do,
The base I start with for almost everything is, Heat EVOO in a pan, Add in red Chili Flakes, Garlic and sliced onion... Saute this around for a few minutes to let oil absorb the flavor and from there you can really create anything.
Base: (EVOO, Garlic, Onions, a pinch or two of Red Chili Flakes)

Base + Spinach = Super Yummy, The spinach cooks and shrinks. Add Salt and pepper (Afterwards) to taste.

Base + Mixed Veggies (Brussel Sprouts, Asparagus, Bell Peppers, Mushrooms, Broccoli) Salt + pepper to taste.

To take it up a notch further you can try adding some white wine while the veggies are cooking for additional flavor. Also wait towards the end before adding any salt and pepper.

Also it is fun to experiment with different Types of Salts, Spices and Wine combinations.

Salt: (Johnny's, Himalayan Sea salt, Hawaiian Alaea salt, Plain Sea salt etc...)

You can take the above meal and turn it into an Asian stir fry by simply adding Hosin Sauce or a bit of low sodium Soy to it.

I've been doing about 70% veggies and 30% protein (Chicken, Beans, tofu, shrimp, fish...)

Verdict: Cheaper, Healthier, and by far way more tastier than eating out... or eating something out of a package.
on December 16, 2013
Some of the recipes are good, but some have obviously not been tested carefully enough. I just did the Moroccan Chicken with Cauliflower and Cashews--it *smelled* wonderful, but it was bland as dog food. Six cups of cooking liquid that go down the drain will wash away all the garam masala, and waste the pomegranate molasses (a fairly expensive product to waste). The sweet potato burgers sound better than they are--turned into nasty messes in the pan. The Gingered Chicken with Cashews, Carrots, Raisins and Scallions is delicious--except it has a lot of kale and not a single raisin.

Who proofread this thing?
on March 13, 2013
This is the first cookbook that I have bought on the Kindle. It is hard to search, and harder if you don't know what you want to prepare. I wish i would have spent a few extra dollars for the actual book.

Secondly, the first quarter of the book is the same as the actual book The Blood Sugar Solution. I am not sure I needed both books.