1,615 of 1,718 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Terrific resource
Published on February 27, 2012 by Tracy Rowan

3.0 out of 5 stars There is a better way to do this.
Truth is simple. Always. Healthy eating is simple too. Dr. Hyman makes a good point in that there are only a handful of things that can go wrong with your physical body. Yet the medical profession has classified over 2,000 different diseases. This is insanity. Point well made by Dr. Hyman. However.....

This is the second book I've read by Dr. Hyman. The...
Published on August 23, 2012 by Richard Krug

3.0 out of 5 stars There is a better way to do this., August 23, 2012
Richard Krug (Sierra Vista, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Blood Sugar Solution: The UltraHealthy Program for Losing Weight, Preventing Disease, and Feeling Great Now! (Hardcover)

This is the second book I've read by Dr. Hyman. The first was The Ultra Mind Solution. Both books advocate essentially the same diet and supplements, etc. A word of caution is in order here. Dr. Hyman is a super-charged AMBITIOUS individual who believes he has a message to take to the world. Or at least that's how he appears to me. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But.......

Why does he have to make it so complicated? Healthy eating isn't complicated. I found this book to be difficult, and boring. Worse, the implementation of his program is tediously complex and too difficult for me to follow without making a full-time job out of it. Many pages deal with stuff I have no interest in whatsoever and he spends so much time trying to convince you that there is a problem out there with the way most Americans eat. Duh!

Dr. Hyman might possibly be one of the greatest guys on Earth, but at the same time, he is an incessant hype machine and a master marketer. It gets annoying after awhile. I have abandoned him as a source of dietary information, because there are other sources, advocating essentially the same diet (or close enough that it's hard to tell any difference) that I don't need to spend money on Dr. Hyman's program. The info is out there for free. Don't spend your money if you don't have to. As another reviewer pointed out, there is nothing original in Dr Hyman's book.

After reading this book, I stumbled upon an internet diet called Beyond Diet, with is essentially the same diet Dr. Hyman advocates, but uses a slightly different approach in implementing it. This diet, however costs money to get into (which I did), and it's way too comlpicated also, just like Dr. Hyman's diet. Strike two.

So basically I just eliminated eating everything except for the vegetables and fruits from my garden, supplemented by meat purchased at the store. Shortly after, I discovered something called the Paleo Diet which was almost exactly what I was already eating, and it turns out to be remarkeably similar, to Beyond Diet, as well as the Blood Sugar Solution. Any differences between the three are minor.

What distinguishes the "paleo community," however, is that although there are books written about it, you don't need to buy any of them because all the information you need to know about the diet is free on a variety of websites. Google it and you'll see. One of the more complete websites is Mark's Daily Apple, which explains the diet in detail, in a straight forward, uncomplicated manner. If you're the type that wants recipes, this site is loaded with them. They do sell a book, but you don't need it - all the info you need about the paleo way of eating is there on the website.

I am in no way affiliated with the above-mentioned website, and have no ulterior motives whatsoever for recommending it other than to simply share with you what I have found, There are many other paleo websites as well, and they're all worth exploring.

In summary, Dr. Hyman's book for me was complicated and even stressful to try and use as a guide, not to mention expensive if you get his supplements. A better route is free and simple. Check out what paleo has to offer.

1,615 of 1,718 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Terrific resource, February 27, 2012
Let me cut right to the chase: Do I think this book is worth buying? Yes. With reservations. Before I get to them, though, let me tell you why this is such a valuable resource. Dr. Hyman understands that there are a myriad of factors that affect both our weight and our overall health. One of the things I find most helpful about this book is the focus on environmental factors such as pollution, pesticides, hormones and antibiotics in our food. Taken a step or two further he has nothing good to say about heavily processed food, and while there are processed foods that I genuinely enjoy like Nutella (which I will no longer eat because it contains palm oil, which is a whole other issue) I recognize they're not good for me, and I try to avoid anything that falls into this category. Fair enough, I say, it's relatively simple to cut much of the processed food out of your diet. You just have to make smarter choices and work a little harder.

It's also relatively easy to buy foods that are organic, rBGH-free, free of high fructose corn syrup and so forth (non-GMO foods are harder.) Relatively easy. Not simple, and certainly not cheap. If you make a commitment to avoiding these things, it takes some homework, and rebudgeting. But doing these two things are good starts.

Taking supplements because our diets will probably never provide the level of nutrients many of us need, that's a good start too. Again, quality supplements aren't cheap, and by now you're beginning to see that good health is a bigger commitment than you might imagine. It's not just about eating less and jogging for an hour each morning. Far from it. It's about making the choices I've mentioned, and as Dr. Hyman points out, it's about advocating for change in every aspect of life that affects our health. Big business isn't going to worry about whether we're fat and miserable, they're just going to keep shoveling cheap, sugary, salty food at us and watching their bottom line. Industry isn't going to clean up the air and water voluntarily because it costs them money. So part of taking control of your health is becoming an advocate for everyone's health.

Exercise is another important part of Dr. Hyman's program, and I can testify to the effectiveness of even a little exercise. It has improved my blood glucose dramatically and put a big dent in my depression. We have to move to be healthy. I hate to say it because I'm sedentary by nature, but there it is. We have to move.

Where I tend to disagree with Dr. Hyman is in the way he's structured his program. Now I have no argument with the idea that cutting out whole food groups will help pinpoint whether you have a problem with them. That's just common sense. What I do have a problem with is that you start the program by cutting out all sugar, including the so-called "healthy" sweeteners like honey, agave, stevia and all artificial ones; all gluten, all other flour products, even gluten free ones, all dairy, all processed foods, all grain, all starchy vegetables and all fruit except for 1/2 cup of berries a day. In fact, he says you should start by throwing out everything in these categories, just dump it. I say, I'm sorry, but who -- apart from someone in a blind panic about his or her health problems -- has the money to do that, not to mention the will power to wake up one morning knowing that you're going to spend at least six weeks eating virtually nothing but lean meat or fish, legumes and leafy vegetables? I can't. I can't afford it and I sure know that I'd maybe last two days on a regimen like that before I'd be running out for a burger or some cookies. To me it's like setting yourself up for failure and self-flagellation.

You do start adding foods back into your diet once you've... I guess de-toxed is the word. Not that I necessarily buy into detoxification diets, but hey, whatever, right? You add them in and you pay attention to how you feel as you do. And that makes a lot of sense in terms of discovering where your problems lie, if any -- there are group of questionnaires at the beginning of the book to help pinpoint where some of your problems may lie, and no matter what your score, Dr. Hyman says you need his plan. Well yeah; why would he say you don't right? So so you might well ask what is the point of all those questions? But I think they're valuable because they can show you where you really may be having problems. Sensibly, to me anyway, that's the place to start. By all means work the program, but work it in a targeted manner. There's so much in it that's good that you have to start feeling better if you do even part of what he recommends. If you can do it all, then wow! Go you! You're a star. But for most of us, that's simply not going to happen no matter how much we may want to do it.

Bottom line: This is a commonsense plan save for the fact that he doesn't seem to accept that human spirits are always willing, but the flesh is very, very weak in most cases. It's certainly a plan that's worth working with, but if you find it overwhelming, you'd be better off working at it slowly than giving up on it entirely.

ETA: I won't be monitoring this review any longer, and so can't answer questions about it. If you do have serious questions, please either buy the book or ask a professional. Neither I, nor the True Believers are actually qualified to answer medical questions.

3.0 out of 5 stars Costly ..to say the least, March 12, 2012
I am on my second week of this diet. I love it and would give it all stars except for two major reasons..the cost!and the restrictions on what you can eat.

I am really trying to stick with this. I go to the grocery store and the foods that are healthy are costly and have to be continously replenished because they are veggies and meats. Then, I read the book and it says join the community online for more support. I go to do that and it costs $19.99 a month to join. The supplements all listed to buy in his site cost upwards of $400 if you were to buy them all. So, I am choosing what I can afford..a few supplements I feel that are most important, some dinners, lunches and eggs etc..but mostly shakes from GNC..the new slimline ones. Basically, I am using his book but shopping everywhere else for the supplements, shakes etc.. He would have much more success having better prices and allowing free community support, especially if he wants before and after stories for his research! I had to sign up at a free support group but it would have been nice to have this diet specific support group.

The other issue I have is how restrictive it really is. I am on the advanced plan and giving up: Lactose, Gluten, Carbs, My staple (diet coke or at least crystal light), even starchy veggies, and more..I mean really..of course if you eat like a caveman you are going to lose weight. The only thing left out of this diet was having us hunting and gathering our own food. He did come close by suggesting we all purchase a goat together.

Although all the criticisms above I do intend to try to stick with this program. I just really feel bad that it is so costly and on top of that his site reads like a business model intended just to make him money. This book really goes to show why it is that low income families are stuck with weight problems and diabetes..the cost of eating healthy and taking multiple supplements is prohibitive.

1,049 of 1,139 people found the following review helpful
2.0 out of 5 stars Read it until it said go to the website, that ended it, March 2, 2012
goldbond (New York, N. Y.) - See all my reviews
This book looked great and I couldn't wait to read it. In the beginning it suggested that you go to his website and take his tests online. I did and right away a window came up suggesting supplements for me. I was curious so I put them in my cart, and thought about ordering them until I saw the price of $800+.

I am sure this is a wonderful book, but please don't try and sell me anything at the very start of the book. It leads me to believe that this book it is just a way to market your products.

I lost interest before the first chapter because of this , I am returning the book

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, March 26, 2012
I have been trying to learn all I can about diabetes and how I can reverse it so didn't mind buying this book. I have been taking care of myself by eating sensibly and exercising, but felt I could learn something new based on the description of what this book had to offer. I also wanted to take the test that is advertised and have a copy of it to review periodically. Imagine my surprise when I found out that the recommended supplements - only available through the author's business - would cost me over $800 per month!!!!! I resent a medical doctor taking advantage of people who have a serious medical problem. These supplements could not possibly be worth that much money and the ingredients can probably be purchased at a much lower cost somewhere else. Shame, shame, shame.

5.0 out of 5 stars Metamorphosis, February 16, 2012
I was one of the Beta testers and the first word that comes to mind is "transformation". In 6 weeks I dropped 25 pounds, 6 inches off my waist, A1c from a 6.9 down to a 5.4!
When I received the book I was a little overwhelmed at first wondering how I was going to make all the changes. My advice is to follow the weekly guide and you will have no problems. One week we just thought about the things we were going to do without, the next we cleaned out the cabinets....the actual week we stared the diet the first few days were a little difficult because things were just so different...we had to learn how to eat good, delicious, wholesome foods. After a few days of detoxing we all started feeling better (we were able to be in contact with one another...community really works). I lost 10 lbs the first week...all off my middle which really got me motivated as I had been trying to loose weight for years with no luck. There was no calorie counting and the weight just fell off. Aches and pains just faded away.
If you really want to get yourself back to health and see complete metamorphosis in yourself in a few short weeks you've got to get this book...you won't be sorry and speaking for myself, I feel so good that I don't plan to ever go back to my old ways of eating. Thank you Dr. Hyman!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Skeptical, April 12, 2012
After seeing the program on PBS, I ordered this book. It really sucked me in as I was reading it. It was as if I was under the spell of this book. But something did not seem quite right. I followed the advice in the book to the complementary website, which wanted to SELL me over $800 PER MONTH in supplements! That abruptly ended my fascination with this book. I went back to the PBS program and noticed the disclaimer at the beginning of the program. It noted that some of the information in this program has not been verified and that the program was being offered to generate discussion. I began reading this book believing all it had to offer, and then realized that a skeptical mind was more appropriate.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing motivates like money ..., March 31, 2012
... the doctor-author, that is. The so-called revolutionary theme of this book has been recognized and widely accepted for a long time now. What is truly new is the awareness that acceptance of this by someone with an M.D. behind his name can be a financial bonanza. I paid twenty dollars for the book, purchased through Amazon. After filling out the first "health quiz" at the start of the book I was encouraged to purchase a list of privately offered health support products for just short of five hundred dollars. I'm not surprised at all by the company he keeps.

3.0 out of 5 stars Let down, but not discouraged., March 16, 2012
I have type 2 diabetes and have struggled for sometime now trapped in the cycle of using insulin to reduce blood sugar and trying to lose weight. I heard about this book and ordered it in hopes of finding a solution to finally get out of this cycle. I went to the website suggested and was overwhelmed by the massive marketing pitch to buy UBER expensive diet supplements. WOW!! what a turn off, I still am looking for the support group / community area but have only been able to find a couching area (you have to pay for it as well). Now I am not a Doctor but I do have a strong science background, all the supplements that are suggested at this website can be easily obtained at you local GNC or whole foods type store for 1/4 the price. Don't believe the hype about the purity (just a ploy to get you to buy their stuff). However, having said all this the book does have good information in it. I think the book offers a logical explanation of the problems we face with the current food supply. So I am a bit let down by the marketing but encouraged by the easy steps the book seems to offer to controlling my sugar and loosing weight. I will check back in after 8 weeks to let you all know.

1.0 out of 5 stars For the 1% - not me., March 2, 2012
John T. Petro (Falls Church, VA United States) - See all my reviews
I am a type 2 diabetic living on Main Street America. Seeing Dr. Hyman promoting the book on a TV show prompted me to buy it. My first impression was that there is a lot of "filler" about the seriousness of diabetes and obesity in the world which is important but I don't need to be told that six ways from Sunday - frankly, my concern is my diabetes and its effects on me at age 73. My strongest impression of the book is that Dr. Hyman is of the 1% and has little empathy for those of us in the 99% with limited funds, limited access to many of the ingredients he recommends in his suggested meals and supplements. In addition to limited funds, we are faced with limited time as we struggle to "stay above water". Examples: His first suggestion under "breakfast recipes" is a Rice Protein Shake which calls for rice protein powder, flax and borage oil, ground flaxseeds, etc. First recipe under Snacks calls for raw almond butter, raw honey and cardamom. And how about for lunch a nice Salmon Salad in Steamed Collard Wraps - on and on. There are many excellent suggestions relative to helping us understand our health problems along with practical "dos and don'ts" but he must be assuming we, within our budgets, have servants to find and gather the recommended food and supplements and someone to prepare these items suitable to carry in our lunch buckets. He reflects what is wrong with America - the 1% have absolutely no concept of the lives and daily struggles of the 99%. We are out here looking for practical, affordable solutions to our problems. We populate the territory between NYC and San Francisco; we plow the fields, work the factory lines, the feed mills, the shrimp boats; we work in the hardware stores, paint houses, drive trucks, teach our children, etc. Perhaps tonight my wife and I can prepare a nice "Pecan Wild Rice and Goji Berry Pilaf" for dinner after we get home from work. Thankfully, at that time, my appetite will be limited since my boss allowed me time-off during the AM and PM 15 minute breaks for my snack of "Poached Pears and Cashew Cream".

$27.99