4.0 out of 5 stars The Boat
The Boat takes place mainly on, you guessed it, a boat! Actually, three, but let's not get technical here...

While this is a zombie story (they call them "sinkers" because the can't swim), I found it more in the realm of a suspense or mystery book with evil - the kind that reminds you of something that Stephen King or Dean Koonz would write.

There...
Published on February 16, 2012 by RandiTS

3.0 out of 5 stars 'The Love Boat' featuring Zombies
Whilst this wasn't a bad read at all, it wasn't entirely what I was expecting, more like 'chick lit, with zombies'

Published on April 16, 2012 by Longshot

3.0 out of 5 stars 'The Love Boat' featuring Zombies, April 16, 2012
This review is from: The Boat (Paperback)

Similar to 'The Final Winter' (by Iain Wright) where you could substitute the continual snowfall (that forces everyone to be contained within a pub) for custard filled scarecrows and it wouldn't alter the story much. In this, the zombies are really just a reason to contain everyone on 'The Boat' (or boats to be fair as there are really three in total) and again as with the popular zombie yarn/political thriller 'Feed' (by Mira Grant) zombies feature somehow in such a way that they are really just a plot device and not the crux in the the main story.

The 'meat' of the story (pun intended)is really a blossoming love story of sorts between two characters, who have lost their respective others to the zombies/plague, along with the sub plot of a serial killer who is fished from a passing raft and joins the rag tag flotilla (again, unintentionally I'm sure, but very reminiscent of The Final Winter.

The problem for me aside from a lack of zombie action (a couple of minor flashbacks, one brief visit to shore and a kind of chaotic finale didn't do it for me) was that only a small handful of characters were even named, never mind developed. Therefore at the climax I felt very detached from it all, as brief snippets (described from a main characters perspective) tell of a few nameless/faceless people being attacked and scoffed.

Along with an introduction and further development/back story of more characters, it would have perhaps benefited from reading more about the chaos, mayhem and ultimately the desolation back on land bearing in mind that pretty much all of this takes place in small vessels at sea, perhaps even following a couple of the supply runs to the mainland would have expanded the limited scope of the story.

Visualisation of more of the struggle and hardships of living conditions within the boats would have been both interesting and immersed the reader more too, rather than just saying 'conditions were cramped' or something similar, because almost all the interaction takes place on the boat 3 bees, which, OK it's a small boat, but it had relatively few passengers on board and it seemed they wanted for nothing (one of the other vessel's continually mentioned was Big Daddy, but this isn't even visited within the book at all)and on the largest boat (I forget it's name) it seemed almost like everybody had double bed en-suite rooms and things really weren't so tough.

On a side note I am unsure why zombie writers feel compelled to name zombies something unique such as...... meat puppets, stinkers,stenches, zed's or in this case sinkers...... (I know it's really just a personal thing for me and I can understand why the author did it here to some degree, but as I say, personally not sure it's necessary), however, they call them sinkers here when they aren't sinking, such as on dry land or in the boat below deck with no way to get out and to.....err......well.............sink.

Don't get me wrong because on the whole this was an easy read, with no glaring grammar, spelling or punctuation issues, which made a nice change from many in this genre, however whilst the story wasn't bad, the feeling of a lack of zombies, the 'will they, won't they' romance and the rated PG (off camera) violence loses a star for me, not that I'm a cold hearted gore hound you understand...... honest!!, but come on....... this is a book about the flesh eating undead for goodness sake and anyway I'm saving my copy of Jane Eyre for a rainy day.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Boat, February 16, 2012
This review is from: The Boat - Zombie Survivors (Kindle Edition)

There are four main characters that are fleshed out in details along with a host of secondary characters that add to the story.

Adam, a man that was loser in "real life" - ungrateful, nothing was ever his fault (which of course was why he was working at a customer support desk - you know you probably talked to him when you called an 800 number before with an issue!), self absorbed, etc... who "reinvents" himself during the chaos when he finds himself on the main yacht. He appoints himself leader because he is the first to figure out how the controls work.

Steve, a professor before the zombies came, lost his girlfriend while escaping and is now in charge of the tugboat, "Big Daddy". He is a strong person whom everyone looks up to and has a crush on Maggie. He also manages the supply runs and any other issues that come up. He is not looking to take over the group but Adam feels threatened by him.

Maggie is emotionally detached from the people on her boat, the Barbra's Bay Breeze, or the 3Bs. She rescued a little girl but still withholds herself from everyone else even while feeling responsible for them.

And finally, John Smith. One day, a yellow raft floats up to the 3Bs with a bleeding man laying in the bottom of it. Although Steve feels that something is wrong, he can't figure out what it is and they bring John aboard to treat his head wound.

The story is told through daily events that are happening now as well as flashbacks that flesh out the characters and explain their personalities and why they are reacting as they are.

Strange and tragic events unfold, but are blamed on the chaos that they find themselves living in - what else do you expect during a zombie apocalypse?

I thought the book was suspenseful and a good read. If you like Stephen King and his type of horror stories, then you will enjoy "The Boat".

4.0 out of 5 stars Zombies With a Twist, Love It!, June 5, 2012
This review is from: The Boat - Zombie Survivors (Kindle Edition)
The Boat by Christine Dougherty is definitely not your average zombie story, although it has zombies. It isn't your average Post-Apocalyptic story, yet there is a plague that causes death and zombies, creating a Post-Apocalyptic environment. Which also makes a great setting for a Survivalist story, though not your......wait for it....average Survivalist story.
See, Christine just doesn't do average, ever, and decided to write a fast-moving, horrific, nail-biting, zombie plague story of survival set two months after the aforementioned apocalyptic event. With a twist.
A really bad twist.
I am not surprised. I met Christine last year when she asked if I would review her novel The Devil Stood Up. As most of you know, I love me some good Horror and was thrilled to accept a copy for review. I eat Horror and Suspense for breakfast, one awesome reviewer on GoodReads, Stephen, [...]asked me in a round about way, what kind of book would actually scare me. I really didn't have an answer, until Christine Dougherty. Turns out I couldn't finish The Devil Stood Up. It disturbed the hell out of me and I had to put it down. For the first time ever I had to write an author and humbly apologize for being a wimp and not finishing their book. The writing was excellent but you couldn't make me pick it up again.
Instead of throwing rocks and laughing at me, Christine apologized and even asked for another review on her Urban Fantasy novel
Born Lucky (The JD Chronicles). I loved it.
I love the versatility Christine brings to the table. The Boat isn't overwhelmingly scary but it is very good and original and I urge lovers of Horror, Suspense and Urban Fantasy to check out this exciting author!
4.5 STARS by Tammy with The Kindle Book Review

5.0 out of 5 stars The Boat, December 6, 2012
This review is from: The Boat - Zombie Survivors (Kindle Edition)
I gave this book 5 stars because of it's originality. I have read many Zombie stories but this one is pleasantly different from most. If you like Zombies, you'll have to check this one out. It's an easy read and written well.

4.0 out of 5 stars good zombie book, November 5, 2012
This review is from: The Boat - Zombie Survivors (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book. It was scary and really made you think about being on a boat to escape all the zombies living on land.
I liked the fact that there is an unexpected guest that arrives and how he impacts the boat and everyone on it.
"The Boat" is worth reading especially if you are a zombie fan!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Survival Story, April 24, 2013
David Girod (Westminster, Maryland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Boat (Paperback)
I guess the expanded title of "The Boat Zombie Survivors" may help cash in on the current zombie craze, and that's okay as I hope this helps more people discover Christine Dougherty's writing. But to be completely honest, it is somewhat misleading. And if you are looking for a straight up zombie survival novel, you may be disappointed.

"The Boat" is set a few months after an experimental drug designed to fight AIDS has the unfortunate side-effect of creating a super-flu which quickly wipes out most of the human race, then reanimates the flesh hungry corpses. We are introduced to three boats full of survivors anchored off the coast of New Jersey.

The main focus of the story deals with the survivors on the boat called the "Three B's". The main characters, Maggie, a young woman whose husband was trapped (and probably killed in the city) and Steve, who was forced to kill his re-animated wife, are questioning whether it's too early to begin to have feelings for someone new. We also get to know the other survivors on the boat and their relationships to some of the survivors on the other vessels as well. The "Three B's" finds another survivor one day floating in a raft and with a bad scalp wound. Rescuing the young man from his raft sets in motion a series of events that will threaten the lives of all the survivors.

While I do wish we had a bit more character development outside of Maggie, Steve, Babygirl & John Smith, I'm not sure if simply adding more depth to some of the side characters like Carl or Adam wouldn't have harmed the pacing of the overall story. I will say that as a fan of zombie fiction, "The Boat" is unique in setting the action on the ocean, and sets up a nice way to have the many survivors remain divided into multiple locations.

If you want something a little different than the standard zombie tale, give "The Boat" a shot. It's a quick read and very enjoyable. Perfect to load on your Kindle or grab in paperback to take to the beach this summer!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read, but slow., April 28, 2013
This review is from: The Boat - Zombie Survivors (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book but it took me a little while to finish reading it. Once I got to the end of the book, it was fast paced and very intriguing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good writing, March 14, 2013
This review is from: The Boat - Zombie Survivors (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book and thought the characters were easy to get into......wish there was a second book to follow and see that everyone made it OK.

4.0 out of 5 stars just a whiff of Stephen King, March 12, 2013
This review is from: The Boat - Zombie Survivors (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this one. Good character development and backstories. I also didn't run across an over abundance of grammatical errors, which helps in the overall enjoyment. I liked the vague similarity between John Smith and Stephen King's character Randall Flagg,not that John Smith is supernatural. I would recommend this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Different kind of Zombie, February 1, 2013
This review is from: The Boat - Zombie Survivors (Kindle Edition)
Found this one pretty interesting. I am not this type of reader, but the idea was quite interesting. Zombies who don't like water. For a free book, not too bad.

The Boat - Zombie Survivors