Save Big On Open-Box & Preowned: Buy "The Bob Newhart Show - The Complete First Season” from Amazon Warehouse Deals and save 55% off the $19.98 list price. Product is eligible for Amazon's 30-day returns policy and Prime or FREE Shipping. See all Open-Box & Preowned offers from Amazon Warehouse Deals.
The Bob Newhart Show - The Complete First Season
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Watch our exclusive interview
with Bob Newhart:
or low bandwidth
The first season (of six, on CBS until August 1978) offered the same high quality as The Mary Tyler Moore Show (also produced by Moore's MTM Enterprises) and established many of the memorable characters who contributed to the show's enduring greatness. Bill Daily (late of I Dream of Jeannie) would thrive as the Hartley's divorced neighbor Howard (his uninvited "Hi Bob!" intrusions inspired that infamous drinking game), while married neighbor Margaret (Patricia Smith) would disappear by season's end. Among Bob's hilarious group-therapy patients, the miserable misanthrope Mr. Carlin (Jack Riley) was a comedic goldmine as the series progressed, but it's Newhart's own comic genius--including his perfected phone-call routines and deadpan reactions to everyday dilemmas--that remained the show's greatest asset. These 24 first-season episodes are remarkably consistent under the direction (mostly) of sitcom veterans Jay Sandrich and Alan Rafkin, and guest stars include Penny Marshall, Louise Lasser, Allen Garfield, Chuck McCann, and a host of other '70s TV stalwarts, all meshing nicely with one of TV's funniest ensemble casts. --Jeff Shannon
- 24 episodes on three double-sided discs
Top Customer Reviews
Still Tom Poston, the handyman, Kirk, the narcissistic cafe owner, and the wonderfully inept local Vermont Townsmen do a great job, and they just get better as the show develops. Truly intelligent family fare.
I really miss this one considering the current wasteland of staged "reality" shows, nasty and violent cop dramas, and smutty dysfunctional family comedies. You can sign me up for this one, and I can't wait for the other seasons.
This first release of The Bob Newhart show on DVD contains all of the episodes of its first season. All 24 episodes are contained on 3 disks. It is full frame and list at 657 minutes.
1) Fly the Unfriendly Skies - Bob invites Emily to join his fear of flying group on a outing to New York.
2) Tracy Grammar School - Bob feels left out when he is not invited to one if of Emily's classes.
3) Tennis, Emily? - Emily's tennis instructor comes to see Bob about his inability to turn down the women who are attracted to him.
4) Mom, I Love You - Bob can't tell his mother that he loves her.
5) Goodnight Nancy - Bob's old girlfriend comes to town.
6) Come Live With Me - Carol wants move in with her boyfriend.
7) Father Knows Worst - Howard believes that his son does not like him.
8) Don't Go To Bed Mad - Bob and Emily have a disagreement about Monday Night football.
9) P-I-L-O-T - Since Bob and Emily can't have a child, they think about adopting.
10) Anything Happen While I Was Gone - Jerry announces his engagement.
11) I Want To Be Alone - Bob needs some quite time, moves into a hotel and Howard thinks that Bob and Emily are breaking up.
12) Bob and Emily and Howard and Carol and Jerry - Howard has a tooth pulled.
13) I Owe it all to you... But not that Much - Jerry becomes one of Bob patients when he can't get serious with any of his dates.
14) His Busiest Season - When Bob's group can't find any Christmas spirit, he invites them over for Christmas Eve.
15) Let's Get Away from it Almost - Bob and Emily spend time at a ski lodge and find themselves with an annoying couple.Read more ›
The first season (1972-1973) is a bit uneven at the start, but the creators and writers tweaked it a bit to get the right feel and by the end of the first season the show had really hit its stride. The difference between the pilot episode and shows like "The Man with the Golden Wrist", "Not with my Sister you don't", and "Bum Voyage" is tremendous. So if you think the show isn't as good as you remembered it when you are watching the shows from the first third of the season, don't worry too much, because it keeps getting better, and the last third of the season is very funny.
There are no extras in this DVD set. There are 24 episodes on 3 DVDs each of which has 4 episodes per side. There are no actor profiles, features, interviews, or anything like that. The sound is mono, and they probably could have done a better job of cleaning up the video. However, despite these issues this is definitely a funny show and for those who like comedy with more thought and less slapstick, this is for you. I can only give this DVD set 3 stars because of the issues I mentioned with the DVD set, and because the show itself gets better in subsequent seasons.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
DVD as described, made perfect gift for my mom, she loved it.Published 1 month ago by Elizabeth Hartley
Newhart is Newhart, unfettered, butl casting remains a work-in-progress. Joanna's not right. Kirk is over-the-top. Leslie soon to be called from the mound.Published 2 months ago by Daschell Potts PhD
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Classic TV
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment > All Fox Titles
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment > Fox TV > General
- Movies & TV > TV