Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on Tikes

on April 12, 1999
I never heard of Jay Cooper before I got this book - and I am not in the income bracket that allows for spa visits. I also can't weigh in on the Abravamel (sp) controversy, except to say that all diets seem to build on previous information. In general I am very leery of trying diet books - I feel that they are usually a waste of money. But a friend highly recommended this one, and after seeing how well she was doing I bought the book. I have found it to be a terrificly well organized and very livable plan that addresses all the issues of dieting, from exercise and energy level to body shape, food cravings and metabolism. I highly recommend it for those who, like me, have struggled with weight over the long haul and are burned out on fad diets. This is a well written and information packed blend of western and eastern research into what makes a body work, and how to fine tune it. More than just a diet - it is an easily followed road map to a healthier, and more energetic away of life - where weight loss is a natural event. Thank you Mr. Cooper and Ms. Lance!!
on March 10, 1999
I went to the Green Valley Spa after spending two years with a personal trainer who had me working out with weights exclusively. I didn't like the way my body looked; I had bulked up in my shoulders and gone from a size 10/12 to a 14...I looked like a professional football player! When Jay body-typed me as a Warrior/Adrenal, he told me I should not be using weights but rather should be burning off the fat with cardio and doing stretch, yoga, Pilates, and flexibility exercises instead. I had misdiagnosed myself as a Thyroid, after reading Dr. Abravanel's Body Type Diet years ago, so when I corrected my food and exercise choices to the Warrior/Adrenal plan, I lost 5 pounds the first week and 6 pounds the second! Jay's program is the best; a step up from all the rest. I recommend it totally!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I am a doctor practising bioth western and eastern medicine,with a good knowledge of acupuncture and ayuvedha. This book tackles well the subject of proper eating/dieting with regards to individual variation. However from my practical experience there is one advice which should be handled with care: vitamin C 1000 mg taken twice a day- be sure not to take this after 6pm or else the extra boost to the system may give rise to insomnia specially in communicators and visionaries.
on November 12, 2000
I truly enjoyed reading the Body Code because I felt like I finally found a plan that works for me. I've been trying to reduce my cholestrol and lose weight and the Warrior/Adrenal plan works best for me: plant based diet with some fish and chicken. When I follow the plan Cooper outlines, I find that I sleep better, I can get through longer workouts, my skin clears and I feel more energetic. I do, however, have one complaint. Cooper talks a great deal about aerobic exercise and I think he is too dismissive of weight training. For women like me, not weight training while losing weight will equate to flabby, loose skin and no muscle tone. I have no desire to compete in Ms. Olympia but I do want to keep my muscle tone and curves so I am going to incorporate a weight training routine and reduce my cardio session from 6 days a week to 4 and add two days of circuit weight training. Good job overall though....The nutrional plan is sound and effective.
on March 28, 1999
Everyone knows that being a teen in the 90's isn't easy. Appearance is everything and we constantly have "perfect bodies" put right in our faces. As a senior in high school I have battled with my weight for about three years. Nothing serious, just 10-12 lbs. that I couldnt get off. I always wondered why my friends and I, who are active and involved in the same things, have such different appetites, weight gain tendancies and body shapes. It seems like we are always comparing and trying to look like one another. After reading The Body Code, it is clear to me that we will never look the same. I was typed as the Nurterer type, and since reading the book I have begun an exercise program that has slimmed down my hips and thighs like nothing ever has. All my friends have commented on my great stomach and legs, and not only do I look better, I feel better. I like the thought that the "strong" types need more exercise, while my "sleek" friends need to watch what they eat. It is also fun to be able to pick out different types. Thank you Jay Cooper, you are awesome. P.S. For my senior trip I am going to the Green Valley Spa to meet you!
on October 2, 2000
I have found this book extremely helpful. I am NOT a fan of diet books, most of them are completely ridiculous--I mean, of course anyone can lose weight eating nothing but pineapple and eggs for a week. But Cooper's book is a real eating plan that allowed me to see that my cravings (I'm a communicator) made perfect sense given the way I was eating. The current fad for high-carbohydrate diets, with fat 20 percent or less, just doesnt work for me, and this book showed me a way to eat that gives me more energy, a better outlook, and permission to eat the "good" fats, like olive oil and so-called "fatty" fish like salmon, that have virtually eliminated my cravings for starch, sweets, etc. I highly recommend this book!
on March 22, 2002
It makes sense. Other metabolism books i read suggested to eat high fat and protein diets, yet I've always had a cholesterol problem. This book told me the types of food other books were recommending were dangerous to my health and suggested the foods that would make sense for me to eat for my body type. I've also lost ten pounds in 1 1/2 months and lowered my cholesterol with the help of this book. I highly recommend it.
on March 10, 1999
This book finally brings together the importance of food and exercise in relation to overall health. BODY CODE explains this in a manner everyone can understand and implement into their lives. This is not a diet but a life style change that if followed will improve every aspect of life. I too was taught by Jay Cooper the body code program. Proper exercise combined with proper foods for your genetic makeup will get you off the diet merry go round. Body Coding teaches us that we do not have to be a rocket scientist in order to understand proper food and proper exercise. Many of the DIET books are either impossible to understand or impossible to follow for the rest of your life. The key is knowing who you are and how your physical self reacts to different foods and exercise. Read the book, follow Jays' advice and your life will change for the better! Thanks Jay for a great book.
on March 5, 1999
I was body typed by Jay in Green Valley, and I bought the book to keep up with the plan. I could never lose the "last 5 pounds" no matter how much I exercised or ate well. I finally lost those pounds when I followed my "Communicator" diet and cut out flour, sugar, etc... I highly reccomend this book and encourage everyone to look at the plans as a lifestyle and not just a temporary diet. Once you know your type, you will always be able to control your weight.
on January 3, 2002
This book doesn't work for everyone, that being me. It gives solid advice for general healthy eating, but the premise isn't watertight--there aren't four body types in reality. I didn't lose weight on this diet because I tried it several times (with lapses in between), each time failing. Why? I was unable to properly diagnose myself. Cooper mentions that there are sometimes "mixed types", types which do not quite correspond to any of the four. Great, just great. Check on the website--he mentions that also, and when you're a mixed type, that's a whole new ballpark. If you do manage to be one of the four, you are in luck. But then, there's those like me who aren't and we're unable to really use the book. It's a pity--Cooper's prose is not condescending and is in fact very reader-friendly. Give it a go, but make sure you can return it if it doesn't quite pan out.