5.0 out of 5 stars Decode the wonderous world of Indian flavors
Published on April 20, 1999

1.0 out of 5 stars BLAND!!
I have made three dishes from this book. Two were so bland they were unsalvageable and the third I had to remake after the recipe was completed to make it palatable. Indian food is so flavorful so I was excited to try the book but I won't try again. So bland!!
Published 3 months ago by Classical

5.0 out of 5 stars Decode the wonderous world of Indian flavors, April 20, 1999
This review is from: The Bombay Cafe (Paperback)
Neela Paniz cooks like my mom: no fuss, no pretence, we are here to celebrate good food with fresh ingredients just as the nature intended. Her book has wonderful recipes (got to try her Chicken Curry) that are easy to follow, easy to make (even tho you do have to stock up on your spices), and the result is your reward. I love it when she noted in the instructions "Chop garlic and ginger in the food processor, set aside, and WITHOUT washing the bowl, puree the tomatoes". That just shows how sensible and forgiving her techniques are. I am used to making European style breads and most of them require 2 ~ 3 rises which takes a whole day. Her paratha recipe is so simple that finally I can make a bread the moment I want it in less than an hour. She has stories and helpful tips about cooking Indian. In the back of the book, there is a glossary on spices used in the book, their individual charactristics, and possible substitutes. Here and there you see special techniques that can cut down on the fat as well. If you like Indian food, do try this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bringing the Magic home..., December 4, 2003
Karen (ATLANTA, GA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Bombay Cafe (Paperback)
Bombay Cafe was my favorite haunt when I lived in Santa Monica. When I discovered that Neela had published a cookbook of her remarkable food, I bought it immediately. I am happy to say that this book includes many of my favorite dishes, written simply and clearly enough that I can faithfully reproduce everything I loved when dining at Bombay Cafe. In my experience, this is not something that 'restaurant' cookbooks commonly achieve. An excellent effort by an uncommon chef. Thank you, Neela!

5.0 out of 5 stars Light and Creative twist to Indian cooking, August 25, 2003
Sunita (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Bombay Cafe (Paperback)
This is one of the best cookbooks I have come across. I love the recipes - they are creative and light - like the Tandoori Chicken salad, or the Garbanzo beans sweet and sour salad. There are also some very Indian recipes that make you travel back in your mind to India - like the Railway station potato curry, or the Frankies. Most recipes are fairly easy to make.
This is Indian cooking with a fresh approach, and a lot of style.I have tried and served so many recipes to friends, and the reactions are always - that tastes GOOD!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Indian Cookbook I've Found, June 1, 2008
This review is from: The Bombay Cafe (Paperback)
It is simply too bad that this book is out of print!

My husband loves Indian food and although I consider myself to be a pretty good cook, I was intimidated about trying my hand at something that seemed so foreign and exotic. An Indian friend had even brought me a few cookbooks, but I found them hard to follow. The last time he came to visit he brought me Neela Paniz' "The Bombay Cafe." Wow! What a difference! The directions are easy to follow even for people completely unfamiliar with the workings of an Indian kitchen. And while some recipes call for hard to find spices, there are plenty that use nothing more exotic than fresh ginger, garlic or serrano peppers. Special favorites are the Shrimp with Chiles and Garlic, Pepper Chicken (made with nothing more exotic that black peppercorns) and Nan (Indian flat bread.)

I highly recommend this book to the novice Indian chef.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best indian cookbook that I have, September 23, 2002
This review is from: The Bombay Cafe (Paperback)
I ate several times on Bombay Cafe Restaurant in Los Angeles. My huge admiration for indian food begun when I first tasted Neela's "Lamb Vindaloo" (the recipe is not included in this book). Since this day I decided to learn how to cook indian food. I bought several indian cookbooks but this is the one that I use more often. Try the chicken frankies, the shrimp with dill and cilantro and the tamarind/date chutney and you will understand why this is a five star cookbook.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, July 25, 2001
This review is from: The Bombay Cafe (Paperback)
The book does an excellent job of presenting Indian recipes for American cooks. I would use this in conjunction with The Indian Spice Kitchen because Paniz leaves out alot of useful information about the ingredients. The recipes are excellent however, and that makes the book very worthwhile.

4.0 out of 5 stars You will definitely need to go to the Indian grocery, October 21, 2007
Llewellyn (Portland, OR United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Bombay Cafe (Paperback)
About three-quarters of the recipes in this book call for ingredients that you may not be able to find in the supermarket, such as besan, atta, kari leaves, and urad dal. But if you have access to those, dive in!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best approach to Indian cooking I have come accross, December 2, 1998
This review is from: The Bombay Cafe (Paperback)
This book is a must for those who enjoy preparing and eating delicious Indian food. It is a perfect book for every one from every level of culinary experience. Both the trained "profesional" and the "once-in-a-while-chef" will greatly enjoy the ease and brilliance of the recipes. If you like eating, you'll love this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars I collect cookbooks!, May 21, 2014
This review is from: The Bombay Cafe (Paperback)
And this is my first Indian food book since my husband does not like Indian food - and I love the simplicity of the recipes and instructions. Yes, some recipes require a lot of ingredients but as an accomplished cook, many I already have and/or I know where to find. I do recommend this book for a beginner as well.

1.0 out of 5 stars BLAND!!, August 27, 2014

The Bombay Cafe
The Bombay Cafe by Neela Paniz (Paperback - March 6, 1998)
Used & New from: $6.13