5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Story for Everyone
Published on November 25, 2007 by Priscilla C. Johnson

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed in this Book
This book was not very well written, and I was disappointed in it. It may inspire people, but it was lacking in something for me as far as reading a story.
Published 15 months ago by Julie A Schleinz

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Story for Everyone, November 25, 2007
The Bond by the Three Doctors, as they are more affectionately called, is an extension of their first book, The Pact. In The Pact, Sampson Davis, George Jenkins and Rameck Hunt tell how they became friends in high school and ultimately, how they promised to stick together and graduate from college to become doctors. The Bond goes even further into the friendship of these three young men.

Davis, Jenkins and Hunt were able to become friends because of what is considered a growing epidemic in the African American community - children growing up in single family homes. Each doctor tells the reason why his father was not present in his home. They also give their fathers an opportunity to share their stories. They learn that their fathers either grew up in the same circumstances or they did not know themselves, the impact they were passing on through each generation. The doctors discuss how they struggled to learn about developing relationships with women, building confidence, and peer pressure and to learn a simple task such as how to fix a tie or picking out a suit without the guidance of male presence in their lives. They also discuss their devotions to their mothers, who sacrificed to keep their families together. Despite not having a male role model, the doctors basically learned from each other. The Bond tells of their need and desire to understand the reasons why their fathers were absent and what they have done to begin to build relationships with their fathers. Dr. Hunt stated "even though they missed out on a portion of their lives, parenthood last a lifetime".

The story was very compelling and thought provoking. The Doctors also describe the ways that they have set out to mentor other children who are growing up in similar homes. This is a recommended book that can be read by both males and females who are living in single family homes and are struggling to come to terms with an absent parent.

Reviewed by: Priscilla C. Johnson
APOOO BookClub

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what was needed!, October 18, 2007
Sincerest gratitude for this book. It is a testimonial of strength and serves as a medium for these three men to honestly express their feelings of disappointment, fear, hope and healing as they each tell their individual experiences of growing up with absent fathers. It details how they felt as children, teenagers and currently as adults going through the process of understanding and mending these all-too-common broken relationships.

Giving men and women (young and old) this window to look through and see the obstacles that they overcame to become the three successful men they are today is a truly unselfish act. Hopefully it will inspire today's youth to persevere, seek out positive male role models, and show them that it is possible to push through the pain of the absent parent to achieve any goal that they set for themselves. Discussion about the book will hopefully lead to dialogues between mothers and fathers, men and women, boys and girls about what it is like to be raised as, and to raise, a child without both parents. I feel it is an unfortunate common thread that is hurting our minority youths. This book is definitely a worthy read for any person and definitely important to pass along to any male or female that may have dealt with this issue. Thanks again to Dr's Sam, George and Rameck!

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep On Doing What You're Doing!!, February 11, 2009
Shbzz7 (NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Bond (Paperback)
I just finished "The Bond" by the Three Doctors. It is a follow up to their well worthwhile book "The Pact" from a few years back. That book chronicled the story of three gentlemen from rough and tough Newark, NJ who make a pact while attending high school to see that each finishes undergrad, med school and become doctors. And they do. They overcome plenty of adversity, negative statistics and unfold a very very very inspirational story that deals with a lot of stuff that hit home for me coming from the not too distant inner city of Jersey City. That book should really be mandatory reading for all high school students.

Their new book, "The Bond" goes on to tell about the obstacles that they went thru to achieve their goal. Things like running out of money to attend the private and very expensive Seton Hall University and the fact that they really had nowhere to turn to because of non supportive home situations. These are just a few of the things that were left out of the first book. The doctors mentioned that the reason for these omissions was that they didn't want the first book to sound like the same old sob story, but instead focus attention on the very important pact between friends that got them through the rough spots.

The Bond could have easily been titled "Fathers". At times it becomes a serious study into the relationships between sons and fathers, or in the case of the three doctors, no relationship at all or the bare minimum. Each doctor has a strikingly unique story to offer about the relationship with their fathers and how this inherent negativity shaped their youth. In addition, they offer observances of friends in their neighborhood who went through similar or worse situations and how these issues bear not just on sons, but also on families, neighborhoods, communities and Blacks in general.

This book is quite moving. I saw a lot of issues that are either present in my own family or in that of close friend's families played out in this book. "The Bond" made me analyze a lot of these similar issues in my own upbringing that are quite embarrassing, things that hurt deep down and many times just not talked about by me or my relatives.

But the three doctors speak about these matters in quite blunt terms. And surprisingly their fathers speak back in the book thru interviews in which they attempt to explain what possessed them to make the choices that they did. One can quickly catch on that the fathers themselves were trapped by the same never ending cycle that we see many of today's youth falling victim to.

The three doctors all seem to be pursuing very productive careers but interestingly I couldn't but help to notice that one doctor appears to still be somewhat bitter towards his father. One has moved on. And one is practically doing cartwheels because writing the two books has enabled him to finally be in touch and have somewhat of a normal relationship with his formerly absentee dad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging, September 14, 2009
I bought this book for several teenage boys in hopes that it would be of some assistance. They loved it! They all spent their entire weekend reading it and with no pressure from me. Surprisingly, instead of playing Nintendo/Playstation, they wanted to read about these three boys who made a pact to become doctors. I am awed by it's effect and I look forward to sending more copies to other teenage boys. This is definitely a winner!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, August 30, 2009
This review is from: The Bond (Paperback)
I have suggested this book be a required read in every African American household. We have all been touched by absentee fathers in the majority of our homes. I also suggested it to any woman I know that is raising or even has raised a male child. I raised sons who are now adults and doing ok, but as they were growing up I was completely oblivious to things, for example one of the young men talks about how he didn't learn to tie a tie until he was in college. Being a woman you don't even think of those things, and teaching your sons confidence in dealing with the boys in the neighborhood and how to deal with other young men or how to approach girls (from a male perspective).

The way they reached back and researched the father's lives and found out why the fathers were the way they were (Not that it excuses the fathers). It gave the young men more reasons to not perpetuate the cycle. The mistakes the young men wrote about in their lives helped them realize they had to stay focus to reach their goals. I thought this book was awesome! I purchased copies for all my grandsons because a couple of them are being raised without fathers and I am having my grand daughters read it as well.

Again this book was outstanding, these young me have "hit the nail on the head" as it comes to a major problem in our community and they have proven, you don't have to be a victim of your circumstances, YOU can overcome those obstacles and more importantly, they shown, that once you have insight on what "ails" you; YOU can have power over it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Three Doctors continue to amaze!, October 28, 2007
This book is a awesome testament of forgiveness and love. It offered wonderful insight on issues related to having an absentee father and finding and claiming the path in life God has preordained for you. Although much of the discussion in the book centers around the Father-Son bond, this book is an inspiration for anyone - for women struggling with not having grown up with both parents and for those who have been blessed to have two loving parents throughout their lives to give thanks and appreciation. I highly recommend!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Heartfelt, Groundbreaking Revelations of Fatherlessness, November 6, 2007
The Bond is an excellent read for anyone who has experienced the heartbreaks from having an absentee father. Dr. Davis, Dr. Hunt, and Dr. Jenkins really captured the emotions of this growing epidemic in the African American community. Two thumbs up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, May 24, 2010
This review is from: The Bond (Paperback)
I loss my dad April 14, 2010, but unlike these gentleman, my dad was there my whole life, in fact, my parents were married 56 years at the time my mom died in '05. Reading this book was just another way of letting me know how blessed I am. I say "I am" because the vaules I received from my dad will last me a lifetime. Everything I read in the book that was missing from the men, I had. Guys, thank you so much for letting the world know your story.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Open and Inspiring Book, July 15, 2009
This book was a great book to read! It was an easy read with an inspiring story being told by all. The doctors opened up their lives to the readers in this book without holding anything back. Wonderful book for young boys and men who have had to endure their life without a father figure. This book is a must read in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Execellent book and story., September 14, 2009
D. Upson "browneyez" (Montgomery Village, MD) - See all my reviews
This book went beyond my expectations. I loved the characters and the story line. My son had to read this book for his summer reading, I'm so glad that I purchased it rather than get it from the library. All my boys will be reading this, at some point.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›